What would be his CR?

What would be his CR?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-_9G4CG8N48?t=2m43s
d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

'bout 3.

I mean the protagonist of that game could be slayed by two or three good whacks from a passing wolf, and CR represents an entire group of protagonists.
Honestly that game is pretty low level in what's actually in the game.

Sure it has that thing that Tolkien's shit also does, where the backgrounds of the characters make them out to be immortal super gods of everything, but their actual depictions aren't really all that impressive in the grand scheme of things.

Dude think about it, he is basically a pc with a pet ancient blue dragon

Even if the dark souls pc dies pretty easily we don't know the cr of creatures in that world

Quick Veeky Forums. Who/what is your favorite Dark Souls character and why. Bosses, actual npcs and everything else.

He's an epic level foe, that much is certain. Although the D&D/CR system is an awful fit for Souls stuff, as evidenced by the dumbshittery in

I adore the visual design of the Gaping Dragon. Even if the actual fight isn't that great, the look of the twisted monstrosity is just fantastic.

I really like Havel, if only because the idea of a man destroying people with a Dragon's Tooth is fucking hardcore.

If you want my favourite boss, it'd be a tie between Manus and Artorias, because they both have good lore and excellent fights. All things considered, that DLC was god tier.

Sure, but his ancient blue dragon is also a pussy by D&D standards.

The whole setting is pretty low level in terms of power, and that's cool. But if you use CR to measure it, they're all going to be pretty low on the totempole.

It's not dumbshittery, it's pointing out that things in Dark Souls aren't really that powerful in the way D&D measures things.

If your measuring stick is trying to tell you that literal gods and primal entities who create and shape entire eras of a high fantasy world aren't that powerful, maybe your measuring stick is the thing which isn't fit to task?

See

>Sure it has that thing that Tolkien's shit also does, where the backgrounds of the characters make them out to be immortal super gods of everything, but their actual depictions aren't really all that impressive in the grand scheme of things.

That's especially a dumb criticism given what the OP said.

I never said OP wasn't just as dumb as you are.

Dark Souls 1: Artorias, Great Grey Wolf Sif, Ornstein and Smough.
Dark Souls 2: HA HA HA HA HA HA
Dark Souls 3: All the Lords of Cinder, Pontiff Sulyvhan, the Old Demon King, Dancer of the Boreal Valley, especially when you manage to light all the banners in the arena on fire.

Favorite NPCs are Solaire, any of the Onions, and the Fire Keeper in DS3. Bit pleb taste probably, but popular things tend to be popular for a reason.

Indeed, it's everyone else who is an idiot.

It's not that your setting manages to create a sense of threat and scale with a relatively low direct power level, it's that everyone are morons who don't get it.

The pursuer was pretty cool...

Dark Souls 2, despite being the weakest of the series, had a few great things. The Looking Glass Knight was awesome, as was the majority of the Sunken king and Ivory King DLC's. The Ivory King boss fight, the huge pitched battle followed by a fierce duel, was a high point of the game for me.

Orenstein and Smough! They compliment each other perfectly. Yhorm the giant is just tragic, I always think of Jonny Cash - Hurt when I think of him.

Don't forget the Smelter Demon. He was a high point in between 'Dumbfuck Poison Puzzle Boss' and 'Mediocre Design but Neat Fight'.

While I'm not one of those people who can't admit that DS2 did NOTHING right (it didn't do a lot of things right), individual bosses like that cannot make up for an experience I thought was just too... disjointed.

I can't blame them entirely for it. DS2 was made by a different team and a different director that had no experience making games like this one, and with themes like Dark Souls. I understand that, and I sympathize with that - something I think we could stand to do a bit better when it comes to the media we consume and enjoy.

But the things leading up to those bosses (looking at you, hallway to the Looking Glass Knight), and as a whole... it just doesn't click with me. I can have nostalgic memories of Dark Souls 1, just tooling around with my group of friends as we summoned each other, goofed around, and generally beat ass and made memories that'll personally last me a lifetime.

With Dark Souls 2, I cannot say I had those same experiences.

I think it's actually best if I describe it like this. Before the days when pre-ordering a game became tantamount to saying you raped children and burned the bodies after, I pre-ordered DS2 with all my friends. We were hype, we were eager, we went through our own personal challenge runs of DS1 to give the game one last sendoff before we moved onto DS2. After all, everything we say just implied it'd be DS1, but BETTER - the ideal thing for a sequel!

I ordered a pizza that night from a local place, ham and sausage, and a big 2-liter of coke. I had everything set up nice and tidy, and two of my friends were on for some JOLLY CO-OPERATION, and we were all starting at the same time.

I bit into my first slice of pizza, and it just... it wasn't that good. The sauce and cheese were lukewarm, despite the order just being out of the oven, the crust was stale, and the toppings were cold. It was like they just put this one under the heatlamp.

That's how I feel about DS2.

I liked the fume knight. He punishes you for bad habits. And that the use of estus takes long.

That really sucks, to have something disappoint you that badly.

I guess I'm lucky, coming to the series late. I only played DS1 after Scholar of the First Sin had already come out, and from what I can tell the DS2 experience was a lot better by that point.

It was still way, way worse than DS1, but I enjoyed my time with it. After I'd finished levelling up Adaptability, fuck that design choice with a rusty rake. Having to level a stat to stop the game feeling unresponsive and shitty is the worst fucking idea.

Havel the Rock. He or at least his armor saved my soul. If not for him then I would've never finished the game and have just gone hollow. Then I grew to love his character as a man who was (probably) betrayed due to political intrigue and standing up for what's right.

Soul Memory was also cancer, since that just fucks over the entire meta of the game. I understand they added SOMETHING to get rid of it, but that just seems so ass. It shouldn't have been a thing.

Dark Souls 3, while it is not free of it's own issues, feels to me like a proper sequel to the series, and a fitting conclusion to it.

Honestly, the ending where you cease the First Flame's existence feels to me like the best possible conclusion for the series. The fire dies, the embers burn out, and darkness comes, but there's hope for rebirth into something better.

As one of the themes of the series is the cyclical nature of the world, I felt it was a fitting, somber ending to finally break the cycle, and to simply end the suffering of it's inhabitants - and they were suffering.

After so many hours invested into the series, it felt like the only ending that made sense to me.

Also had the best soundtrack of the three games in my opinion.

And we've still got The Ringed City to come. While Ariandel was mostly plot adjacent, the last DLC looks to be directly related, so we might see an alternate or expanded ending.

That was one of the things I liked about DS2. The full DLC ending you got in Scholar of the First Sin was fascinating, letting you reject both Light and Dark. To acknowledge that any choice made within the cycle was no choice at all, just endless repetition... Letting you choose your own path, beyond the known.

DaS1: Artorias, Ornstein and Smough, Gaping Dragon, and Quelaag
DaS2: Mirror Knight, Ivory King, Demon of Song, Sinh.
DaS3: Abyss Watchers, Nameless King, Twin Princes.
There's probably a lot of bosses I am missing.

NPCs: Quelana, Karla, Solaire, Laurentius, Lautrec, Irina, Sirris, Sieglinde, the Giant Blacksmith, Gough, Rosabeth, Gavlan

Also should we include DeS in this or nah?

The fuck is CR?

A symptom of D&D induced brain damage.

>liking the Yhorm bossfight

They ruined what could have been an epic confrontation with a stupid gimmick. I don't care if it was a throwback.

Siegmeyer is obvious answer, but other than that probably Patches. His friendship with Greyrat is cute

>butthurt user is still upset the games he likes aren't popular

2017 and counting.

>throwbacks

The biggest problem with dark souls 3

>I'm so insecure I can't cope without assuming everyone I disagree with is the same person!

You'd hollow in a heartbeat.

I actually really liked them. Dark Souls 2 had a lot of DS1 references, but they were always throwaways, visual references or illogical cameos that didn't really have a place or impact on the world.

In DS3, while there's a lot of references to the earlier games they all have meaning. It's a real choice on the part of developers, highlighting the cyclical nature of things, how the old is remembered and patterns recur endlessly.

>butthurt user is still upset the games he likes aren't popular, AND thinks it matters who else might be butthurt like he is

We're well aware there's a cute little crew of butthurt anons. I think they mostly hang out in the GURPS general, feeling bitter.

When will the endless /v/ threads end

When /v/ becomes not shit which is never.

Obligatory "How would you run a Dark Souls style campaign" question, because it usually incites some interesting discussion..

Fav:
Lucatiel

Runners Up:
Alsanna & the Ivory King
Solaire
The Twin Princes

Honorable mentions:
Eygon of Carim
Havel

Why do you like the ivory king?

This.
There a a select few threads on Veeky Forums that are bearable, but /v/ is filled to the brim with underage edgelords and /pol/lacks.

Eleum Loyce was a well designed area with some great bossfights and unique mechanics. How you dealt with Ava was interesting, as was having to progress through the area a second time after melting the ice, facing new challenges and gathering the Knights to join you in battle.

It's probably my favourite of the DLC's, with Sunken being second and Old Iron a long distant third.

His backstory.
The fact that he not only was a huge badass, but also dedicated to protect his people and the world at large from chaos.
The fact that knowing who and what Asanna was, he still took her in and that she repays his kindness by keeping the chaos contained.
Also, the two are one of the few cases of a sort-of happy ending in Souls, with you rescuing the souls of the king and his knights from the flames.

The godlike presentation of his bossfight also helps.

That's really a "your problem, not ours" kind of deal.

While I'm okay with the occasional off-topic thread in Veeky Forums if it's ultimately for the sake of generating discussion about traditional games (and not just paying lipservice for a few posts just so that you can discuss off-topic stuff on a slower/different board), Veeky Forums isn't really supposed to be the "I don't like [topic]'s board but I want to discuss [topic]" board, because that ultimately doesn't help anyone.

If you want to discuss a topic, go to that board, and if there's rule-breaking posts, report them. If you don't like the content of that board, be the change you want to see there.

I'd argue that the Souls series is pretty relevant to Veeky Forums due to the setting, same as fantasy or science fiction literature is Veeky Forums relevant.

That is one of the fascinating things about the Ivory King. When almost all others fell foul of the Dark, regardless of whether they tried to control it, fight it or flee it, he won its heart with compassion and love. When for all others it brought corruption, ruin and death, his kindness won the Darks enduring loyalty, even after he was gone.

It's an almost unique event in the setting, but a fascinating glimpse of how the world might change, if people ceased struggling and fighting the Dark, and instead embraced it.

Why did you repeat yourself at the end there?

Much as I'd like it to be otherwise, there are in fact people who never grow out of being rascit little shits.

Late to the party, but this post is stupid because it assumes HP is meat points in D&D. Which they aren't. A fighter getting 'hit' by a wolf isn't surviving being mauled, they're under pressure and struggling to keep it off them. This is literally what it tells you in the book.

Given that the Chosen/Cursed/Unkindled has hugely potent both offensive and defensive options, powerful magical artifacts, access to multiple different kinds of magic and is truly immortal with an almost limitless capacity for growth, even within D&D's busted CR system claiming DS is low powered is retarded.

I'm speaking in general.

And I'm saying it's something that should be judged on a case by case basis.

>Dark Souls 1
Ornstein and Smough. Bombastic, awesome, and the place that separates the havel-babies from the men. As far as NPCs go, my favorite NPC in 1 would have to be Patches, Domnhall, or Siegmeyer. The first is completely unequivocably adorable in his mischief, while the second is a comfy friend and the third is a blundering knight who resolves to die with honor after so much of his journey was taken care of by you.

>Dark Souls 2
There's a LOT of bosses in 2 - and because of it, a higher number of REALLY GOOD ones. Ruin Sentinels, Smelter Demon, Looking Glass Knight, Velstadt the Royal Aegis, Raime the Fume Knight, Sir Alonne and the Ivory King were all very memorable encounters; if I had to pick a favorite, it's Fume Knight. However, most of the others just sort of blend into this mess of jumbled-up incoherent memories.

In a similar vein, it has a lot of NPCs. Lucatiel, Vengarl, Benhart, Straid, Creighton, Pate, and ALMIGHTY GAVLAN all stand out as good memories; however, it should be noted that most of the merchant NPCs were pretty uninteresting compared to Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 also has bonus points for having my favorite Souls character of all time, Aldia. He (and Vendrick, but Vendrick really isn't much of a character) was the best incarnation of my feelings about the fluff of Dark Souls 2. It in my opinion had the coolest plotline, that of escape from this cosmic cycle that binds all to their tortuous existence, but it was disjointed and marred by the fact that they had to change director and shelve most of what they were working on halfway through. Also, while Aldia may have had a terrible bossfight, his voicework is godlike for the Souls series. youtu.be/-_9G4CG8N48?t=2m43s

>Dark Souls 3
I didn't really like it at all, and that's for a multitude of reasons. Regardless, Dark Souls 3 did have some cool fights. The Abyss Watchers were fun, as was Aldrich and Yhorm (Though that giant fight was a goddamn waste and Miyazaki knows it). The Twin Princes were definitely my favorite fight by far, but there were only like two or three really difficult bosses in the game: Nameless King, Pontiff Sulyvahn, and arguably Twin Princes/Dancer of the Boreal Valley. The rest were too easy or bland.

The NPCs of Dark Souls 3 suffer mostly from one of the chief issues I have with Dark Souls 3: it depends way too much on Dark Souls 1. A good chunk of the NPCs are just lifted straight from Dark Souls 1 or very clearly supposed to be very reminiscent of specific characters from 1. I was greatly uninterested with pretty much every single new NPC they added except for Greirat, Yoel, and Yuria. All three of those guys were superb characters.

Sorry but almost nothing PC or his enemies does goes beyond 3rd level spells in D&D. Immortality will be a "racial" template in this case. Probably will have pretty steep LA but nothing that special around things with regeneration. Limitless capacity for growth is a basic assumption of D&D worlds.

Don't forget that 6th level fighters in D&D can break castle walls with bare hands. At level 20 even the most shitty of classes can pull off some bullshit that makes most Dark Souls shenanigans look like child's play.

Check out SRD Epic Skills. And then consider that some purpose built characters can pull them off around level 10.

The protagonist of a souls game can also eat a fucking lightning spear from God himself and walk it off with only needing to chug some orange coolaid.

It's a video game that was accidentally hard and that accidental difficulty got transformed into a core mechanic. Demon Souls was not supposed to be as difficult as people found it to be. You cannot compare the fact that a random quirk turned what, lorewise. is a walking demi-god who fights literal gods into a glass cannon.

When I heard that Dark Souls II was going to be developed by a different dev team, I essentially imagined we would be getting a rehash of DaS designed to print money.

Instead we get something as detached from DaSI as possible. DaSII is truly its own identity, it's greatly creative and much of the interesting lore is realised in Dark Souls II, which gave definition to this world which revolving around an endless cycle.
At the same time, though, I felt Dark Souls II took us to the logical conclusion of the series. Light and Dark don't matter any more, we know its a meaningless choice, so we're given the choice of simply perpetuating the cycle or seeking a way to end it.

Dark Souls III, however, was one of the most disappointing games I've played. I believe it has the worst gameplay in the franchise, but that aside I was tearing my hair out by the end for how derivative the narrative was, the sheer abundance of "references" to Dark Souls and Demon's Souls was simply obnoxious. One of the main story bosses, Yhorm, is defeated by a Demon's Souls reference and even an entire ending of the game contains within it a Demon's Souls reference.
I longed for the orginality of Dark Souls II (and had to do another playthrough after DaSIII to wash the awful taste away).

Dark Souls II is my favourite of the trilogy, but Dark Souls isn't far behind.
Wasn't happy at all with Dark Souls III though.

>Stats, HP, resistances, etc don''t scale in Souls games

hurrrr

>damage certainly doesn't scale UP over the course of the game, no sir not at all

DDUUURRRRR

Nameless King was the only truly difficult boss, and by far the most fun part of the game. Twin Princes was just a damage race while the cripples flopped about, Dancer was only hard because people looked at her ass and not her swords, and Sulyvahn was easy once you got the timing of his Stand down.

Dark Souls 3 took more from Bloodborne than it did Dark Souls 1 and 2. It really did feel like if you put a pistol into DS3 you got BBB.

Sully was just "please don't parry me" the boss.
Once he summoned Star Platinum things got even easier because you could tell what move he was going to do next.
Almost all of his attacks can be pretty easily parried.

Nameless King doesn't have an answer to ranged attacks. As a caster I beat him with almost no effort because his only long ranged attack is an easily dodged shockwave.

He's riding a fucking drake, dude.

This cleric loathing, professional squatting, bridge turning madman right here.

Quelana of Izalith, because Dark Souls 1 Pyromancy was the absolute best and I'm still annoyed that they changed it to be a stat-investment school of magic rather than purely soul-based.

Solaire, because he helps you with every major challenge and is the only one strong enough to stand against Gwyn. My preferred ending is the Chosen Undead choosing Dark Lord, while Solaire links the flame in his own world. Two old friends parting ways down very different paths as their journey reaches its end.

Iron Tarkus, because he's the biggest baddest motherfucker this side of Anor Londo.

Lucatiel, because I genuinely felt bad for her. The fact you find out that the Bearer of the Curse kept his promise in Dks3 was touching.

Greirat, because he's one brave little bastard in the face of so much sadness.

The DKS3 fire keeper and Ludleth, because they go along with your treasonous plan to bring an end to fire entirely and finally break the miserable fucking cycle.

Siegfried, Sieglinde and Siegward. Catarina seems like a wonderful place, it would have been nice to visit before everything went to shit.

Hawkeye Gough. The strongest and simultaneously most gentle of the four knights.

Sirris, one of very few Knights ghat acthall manage to fulfill their vows.

Really, it's a lot easier to list the characters you don't like rather than the ones you do

npc wise, i really like big hat logan

boss like, and it might be an unpopular opinion to give it to a dark souls 2 boss, but i really like looking glass knight. the first time i played it i said to myself "man im getting really tired of these empty castle halls" and then stepping outside into the arena with rain pouring down and thunder going off in the backround, with this huge knight in silvery amour made me go "yessssss", and then he actually summoned another player, which blew my mind.... and then i got my ass kicked.

damn i wish Miyazaki would have directed dark souls 2 instead, it got some really cool stuff but compared to the other games it's just really bland

Black leather seat is still the most fashionable set in the series

>DS3
>Worst gameplay of the series

What? Sorry, can you go into more detail? I find it really hard to wrap my head around this.

Why is it the typical Souls fanboy response is to praise how powerful the enemies are, when in reality the games are only "hard" because the controls are ass? Never crossed your mind that the reason everything dies so quickly is they're not actually that powerful? Fuck, Gwyn in the first game can be one-shot, and he's a "god" isn't he?

>under pressure and struggling to keep it off them
That's one interpretation of HP you can choose to subscribe to, but not everyone agrees.

Not all gods are created equal. Souls games aren't hard, the controls are just terrible.

Challenge Rating, a system DnD uses to rate encounters. A CR 5 monster is supposed to be powerful enough to consume 1/4th of the resources of a level 5 party of 4 player characters.

Just mod Exalted, it has the same rocket tag feel to it.

Some kind of point-buy system but the points are also your earned experience and currency. Dying isn't the end of a character, but is tracked on a Hollowing meter. Otherwise it's mostly just dungeon crawling and set pieces.

He's the burnt out shell of a god.

It's literally the definition in the book. If you disagree, you're homebrewing/handwaving it.

>The controls are terrible

You what? The controls are great. Different to the norm for action RPG's, but Souls is a very different experience with different priorities. I'm sure they suck if you try to play it like an ordinary action RPG, but on its own terms the only game with 'bad' controls would be DS2 due to some annoying hangups like Adaptability.

This. The only bad thing about the controls you could really say is that the camera is kinda stupid sometimes.

Otherwise, it's all on you.

Yeah, the camera can be a bitch, but that affects almost every action RPG/character action game. Even famed stuff like the Devil May Cry series suffered from some awful camera bullshit.

And he's the final boss, kind of destroys the idea all the rest of the enemies in the game were all that tough doesn't it?

Negro what? Do you even remember DS1? Having to hold still while healing, camera gets stuck in a wall, can't move while shooting anything, pain in the ass jumping mechanic, greased ledges, and every fight is nothing but rolling around and ass-poking everything to death. Shit controls, arbitrary bullshit and a complete lack of a guide does not make a game good, it makes the devs lazy. They stopped before the game was finished.

I don't know what to tell you man, I loved Dark Souls 1's control scheme. The jumping mechanic was arse, yeah, but that's one of the things DS2 ended up fixing.

The fighting is fucking awesome though. That slow, measured pace of combat, having to learn your enemies moves and figure out the right time to strike, time and stamina management being key to success... It's a truly unique experience. You can't just go in swinging and expect to be okay, you have to really think.

>Having to hold still while healing

That's intentional. You need to choose when to heal carefully. You can't just spam healing and brute force your way through fights.

>camera gets stuck in a wall

I've only had this happen to me a few times, and it's never been during a combat encounter. Your mileage may vary, but I really don't think it's that big of a problem.

>can't move while shooting anything

It's not a fucking FPS you twat. Like healing, you need to choose when to shoot carefully. You can't just blindly spam your way through enemies.

>pain in the ass jumping mechanic

Okay, that's fair.

>greased ledges

Dunno which ledges you're talking about, but the jumping is admittedly ass, so I'm willing to give you that.

>and every fight is nothing but rolling around and ass-poking everything to death.

If you're playing a light build, sure. Heavy-armour builds can march into battle with a giant shield and sword, and tank damage like champs. Magic builds get to attack at range, and have a variety of extra utility abilities to choose from.

And I fail to see how "rolling around" is a bad thing in any case. Rolls are a fundamental aspect of the combat system. They're a temporary invincibility move that can get you out of trouble. You're supposed to be using them constantly. Complaining about them is like complaining that the game expects you stab enemies with your sword.

As for ass-poking, the only enemies that are like that are stuff like bosses and minibosses. If you're feeling forced to do that with normal enemies, then you're either under-leveled for the area you're in, you've failed to allocate your stats properly, or you've neglected to upgrade your weapons.

>arbitrary bullshit

Explain.

>a complete lack of a guide

Pay attention. Pay attention to what NPCs tell you. Pay attention to the descriptions of items in your inventory. Explore every nook and cranny you can reach. The game is about exploring. Do so.

>And he's the final boss, kind of destroys the idea all the rest of the enemies in the game were all that tough doesn't it?

It doesn't. You are working off of the assumption that a plot important NPC who you fight as your final opponent has to be the strongest; he doesn't, unless you are running off of escalating action vidya logic (which, may I mention, is fine for other games). Him being kinda weak fits with the narrative of burning out, locked away beneath his crumbling shrine.

And he's still ridiculously strong, compared to your average hollow.

I was thinking about something the other day, the differences between Firelink Shrine and Majula, why one felt like home every time I returned there while the other felt... I don't know, wrong somehow.

I think it's that Majula feels very artificial to me. This random cluster of buildings in the middle of nowhere which happens to be linked to everywhere important but lacks any real story of its own. Why was the mansion and the map there? Who lived there? It's too small to be a town and doesn't really seem to have any defining features beyond the pit. And then every single location that could house a person did so. It was all too... Convenient. It was an arbitrary hub location.

Firelink, meanwhile? It was a mysterious ruined shrine with a good reason why it seemed to be at the center of everything, the entrance to the Kiln beneath it. And it felt like a real place- There were parts of it that were never used by anyone, and just existed as part of the ruins of what was once likely a large temple or church. NPCs found their own little spots amidst the rubble, making do with whatever shelter they could find instead of each one getting their own little room or perching place.

I think that kinda encapsulates why DS1 is better than DS2, thematically. DS2 tried too hard to emulate DS1 to the point it felt artificial.

My headcanon's actually pretty similar to yours, actually. My favorite character ended up abandoning the kiln, while Solaire eventually ended up lighting it (after summoning a certain greatsword-wielding friend of his :D).

My favorite character is what I like calling a story build, where he only uses equipment I can justify him using in a narrative sense. Every piece of his loadout is associated with one or more of my favorite characters. Here's how it works out.

>Greatsword of Artorias
The broest of wolfbros are memorialized in this sword. ;.;7 RIP Artorias, RIP Sif.
>Darkmoon Bow
Gwyndolin/Gods in general. The Gods cursed and abandoned humanity, and yet they still expect obedience? I think not...
>Pyromancy Flame
Laurentius gave my character a piece of his own soul, which eventually came into its true potential under Quelaana's tutelage.
>Crest Shield
Oscar was my character's first ally in Lordran. He was also the first he had to kill. This shield kept him safe throughout his journey - something its original owner no doubt would have been glad to hear.

I don't think a CR 3 creature would be able to cast Lightning Bolt. The only example of a creature I can think of that can is a hag, and hags only get access to that spell when there are at least three of them gathered together in a coven.

Ignore the CR3tard. He's just shown a complete lack of understanding of both D&D and Dark Souls.

See, while I can see where you are coming from about Majula and respect your stance, I prefered it to firelink in some ways.

The manor and small houses around it gave it the feel of something built for a purpose it has long since forgotten and that people are now living there is a metaphor for a salvation from hollowing.
When you first arrive, all that is there is those on the edge, about to give up, much like yourself, but as you go along and bring people in it restores some hope to the world just as you realise the curse might just be beatable; not through arms, but through your bonds with others.
It really does make me think someone in the writing had a relative they helped keep themselves going through Alzheimer's or dementia.

Indeed, because it's not like this is a game where you get stabbed twice by a skeleton and then you die.

No siree, that's not something that happens in Dark Souls.

It's not like this is a game that's an intentional subversion of the high powerlevel standard fantasy fare or anything, that would just be fucking daft.

I swear you guys are either retarded or trying to sound that way on purpose.

Only bit of roleplaying I did was in DS2(which was my first laugh all you want) where I played a knight who had forgotten his original quest and went along with the emerald herald because she seemed to have some answers. I decided on his story at Eleum Loyce.

He had been a trusted knight of that realm, known for his arcane knowledge and tenacity. He was sent out on a quest to find an answer to the Chaos. He never did. His armor wore down and was mended with scrap, his shield lost and replaced. Finally when his sword broke he fell and became the chosen undead.

When he returned to Eleum Loyce he remembered and fought hard and bitterly to return to his kings side and do what's right, what maybe he could have done if he had stayed.

In the end he chose the third path. All he had learned on his journey and the revelations regarding his own queen proved their was something else out there. There had to be.

>Hurr, HP is meat points

Read the system, learn what things mean, then shut the fuck up.

No, you do it.
This idea that HP represents an ability to dodge or whatever the fuck is new, and it was a justification Veeky Forums used for a while.

You don't know what you're talking about twice, and you're projecting that unto me because you feel the need to defend your favourite game from an imaginary slight.

d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm

>Hit points mean two things in the game world: the ability to take physical punishment and keep going, and the ability to turn a serious blow into a less serious one.

Oh would you look at that, you're an idiot.

>Artorias and Sif
Great designs and a sad story (especially if you include cut content)
>Solaire
His cheery, friendly attitude was a nice break from pretty much everyone else's (understandable) doom and gloom outlook
>Siegward
An oaf, but a very likable one
>Dragonslayer Ornstein
Badass design and I like what little lore there is on him
>Sieglinde
Her whole story arc breaks my heart every time. A girl setting out into a VERY dangerous place to deliver her mother's dying words to her father only to find him hollow and be forced to kill him in self-defense

Nice. You know, in some weird, bizarre scenario I thought up, my DS1 character and my DS2 character were transported by some deity to a plane where they had to fight to the death. One having an entirely justified hatred of gods and the other seeing gods as nothing more than arrogant tyrants, and both being undead Lords of downright ridiculous power, they naturally fuck this deity's shit right the hell up. For some reason gangs from both games were brought as spectators, and afterwards intermingle. Many stories are shared. JOLLY COOPERATION!

Do you think by "Turn a serious blow into a less serious one" they meant miss user?
Are you retarded user?

Do you think maybe there's a reason that dodge doesn't add to HP?

Near misses, shield blocks, that kind of thing. It's funny how you resort to personal insults when you've had your point disproven.

I've actually been pondering it, and even with the stupid assumption that HP are meat points, the CR3 thing still doesn't hold up.

Sure, the Chosen/Cursed/Unkindled dies to a few hits from a basic enemy... At the start of the game. But things, y'know, scale. Those enemies become negligibly dangerous as you become more powerful and face greater and greater threats, making the assertion that they're low power due to dying in a few hits... Essentially meaningless.

On top of that, you're acting as if the character of Dark Souls just sits there and takes it, but no. You're moving and dodging and blocking all the time. If you stand there like an idiot and let yourself get stabbed, sure you'll die quickly. Just like most D&D characters die easily if they do nothing to protect themselves.

These are characters who can survive being hit with hammers several times larger than themselves, who can block spear thrusts that shatter stone and dodge lightning bolts.

I do rather like the term 'CR3tard'. It feels very fitting in context.

>And he's the final boss
He's also not the hardest boss in that game. Manus is much more challenging.

I always wondered if bosses and npcs would think it was weird that phantoms from other worlds would know/have shit that others shouldn't. Like how did that one know about the secret passage behind the bookcase, ho does that one have my sword hen I'm holding it right here, or how did that one have my favorite brand of beer, they don't even make the stuff anymore.

>Indeed, because it's not like this is a game where you get stabbed twice by a skeleton and then you die

Do you never put points into vitality or something?

>Manus
>Challenging

You can use Havel's greatshield and be literally immune to him for the entire fight, he's 100% physical

Lucatiel of Mirrah of course. She's everything I love about DS2. The whisper and hint of exotic settings beyond Drangleic, honour and promises turning hollow and insignificance in the face of time, realising that you are less than a grain of sand in the mighty hourglass.

>mfw never had any of these issues besides the camera being a faggot sometimes
and
>Having to hold still while healing,
mad because bad
keep chugging, boy