Best mtg art?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1zdKceNf8Oo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump, as someone who doesn't play magic I still like to peruse the art.

Holy shit, card name?

What is the artist trying to convey here?

Nearly everything by Mark Tedin.

The road to hell is paved with fluffy bunnies.

And yet I really do love it. Classic M:tG art has so many of these "What the FUCK?!" moments but most of them are beautiful in their surrealism. And that's not counting the pieces that are just weird and beautiful while not caring whether or not they fit into a broader aesthetic, because they didn't and weren't meant to.

There's a site called magic-ville that has some nice scans of card art.

Indeed
>the art for Dark Heart of the Wood is LITERALLY a dark heart in the middle of the wood

And I really like Susan van Camp and Margaret Organ-Kean

Speaking of old art, I'm a fan of Drew Tucker and his kinda abstract, I'd almost say "smudgy" style.

They brought him back for a bit in Shadowmoor and it was great.

>abstract
Say no more

mmm bby

The modern preference towards depicting concrete things is good for establishing the setting, which is great because I love the lore, but there's something about weird shit like that that gets me feelin feelings.

Harold McNeil is unironically my favorite MTG artist

somebody talking about mark tedin?

The artist says the bunny corresponds to some traditional demon, but I bet he felt like mimicking hieronymus bosch that day.

I'm under the mostly uninformed impression that old illuminated stuff copied by monks often had bunnies, snails and other stuff that ate their gardens depicted as threatening monsters fighting knights in the margins. Sort of as a joke, because its a snail, but also because they were fucking annoying and if they ate too much crops people could starve.

Also this is a dope magic card art

Some non-card MTG art

>tfw you will never be a Boros ambassador that meets and marries her to solidify relations with the Gruul.

why live.

rk post is a god

Let's not fprget Quinton Hoover too

DESUS VULT

If you live in/near Texas, he comes to all the DFW events, I got a bunch of tokens made by him

I can't believe we have to deal with 99% of shitty photoshop brush art because of "muh immersion" and "muh realism" when we had a golden age with art such as these.
Fuck young people

Living wall is still a favorite for me. I pulled one in one of my first boosters back in the day, immediately starting making a horror nightmare deck. A kid even traded me two Recurring Nightmares for a Crush of the Wurms, still got them in a legacy deck.

Oracle's Insight is my personal favorite from Theros, but whoever came up with the night-sky motif for the gods and Nyx was pretty genius.

this was the same block that produced this monstrosity

That art is actually kinda weird. Blown up it looks better than on the card, because the little details that get lost in the murky water come out more, so it looks less like a featureless piece of plastic.

>golden age
terese nielsen still draw her trippy art for mtg.

Theros block got me back into the game after my longest drought

couldnt find this one in a decent size without the stupid border.

New artists that i like
William Murai for them chins
Johannes Voss for pretty girls face closeup

Beautiful foil, shit card

It isnt from magic, but damn it should be.

What would the card be for this.

please stop
painting something that is beautiful doesn't make the art beautiful. it makes it realistic and illustrative but also boring and unimaginative. each of these are just "dude it's like huge and cosmic and shiny you know, use that brush to be sure it's blurry and set opacity to 0.02%"

Art can be valued for it's aesthetic merit alone.

shame about the nazism

Yeah fuck new mtg art right? tey're all digital arts right?
like look at this guy, how dare of him painting digitally with his digital hands in front of people using digital paints on digital canvas.
youtube.com/watch?v=1zdKceNf8Oo

stop liking what i don't like.jpg

hey man, im just postin some quality recent art in a mtg art thread. i aint tryin to stop you from your "old school" art circle jerk.

everyone knows that both the old and the new had some garbage art. its not just one or the other.

Still one of my favorites. I remember how everyone lost their shit when this new art was previewed.

fuck yeah this thing, I was screaming at how well the empty flesh looked

I really like Chris Rahn too.

Killer bees. :^)

Unholy Council XBBB
Sorcery

Target player loses X life, then draws X cards.

would be fine at XBB

>MFW I finally notice he has 3 arms

>he

Quite possibly, but I wanted to be on the safe side. Maybe as an uncommon instead of a rare.

Behold, the only type of MTG thread that isn't shit!

Well, shit me naked. Shows what happens when you haven't paid attention to M:tG since Lorwyn.

it's such a shame you lose all the cool details when the art is on the card and tiny

I see what is talking about.

Step aside, lesser art pieces. The king is here.

I remember a version of this that said "that cunt pays". Is it a mandela effect ?

I really prefer this Dark Ritual. Urza's is dank as well but I like the happy, mysterious feeling of the Masques one as opposed to the grimdark satanism of the other ones.

Just noticed where he's getting his blood from

I prefer Sandra Everingham myself

That's what the one posted says.

no i mean "that cunt pays"
and that's it.
no "the cost", which sound silly
you pay "the price" but not "the cost"

got it

These are great.

If the dude posted it, he liked it. If he liked it, it's decent art.

You don't have to like it. You can even tell us why you don't. But god fucking dammit never tell someone they're wrong for liking art. It's asinine, and completely misses the point of art in the first place

He turned her into a vampire! I just got that right now

The Reserve List needs to die. And 90's art needs to come back.