Great GM

>Great GM
>Terrible Player
>Get to a point where I prefer being GM because I don't wanna embarrass myself in front of my friends with Cringy RPing

>inb4 "If you're a cringy bad player, How come you're good at GMing if you need to RP for the npcs?"

I get much more control with the NPCs and if I fuck up really bad with one I can just pretend he never existed, or create a situation where they can shine and look better for the whole group

Wait.....so where is this thread supposed to go?
I'm not sure I understand.

What are your strength and flaws as a tabletop enthusiast and how do you use them

oooooooooooooooh
I HAVE NO FLAWS I AM MARY S-
Ahem
I love fluff and shenanigans way too much.
I use it for interesting stories while making sure no one is ever bored when played. (as a player)
And for 40k.....memes

I seem to be decent at both somehow. But then I play martials. Dont need to know too much about mechanics when you're a beserker.

Just make your PCs like your NPCs.
I guess maybe your NPCs are a bit bland and you don't exactly know how to make them more flavorful without making them mary sues,ect.. ?
If your characters when you are a player are a bit too much yourself then it's easy to project some unconscious idealizations of yourself, and since humans are naturally socially conscious you can make them "cringe" for the sake of presenting yourself as a bit better than what they think you are.

My main strength is punctuality. I am almost never late to a session.

Get on me level user.
I'm hours early for every session.
I witness and do entire campaigns before the actual gaming session begins.
No offense though, user. That's a good habit.

I like to think I can make believable (N)PCs; I've been told as much by players. On the other hand, I'm terrible at speaking in-character. I do well in text RP but I often fall into descriptions when speaking, e.g. "She tells you blah blah blah."

Playing a DM lets me roleplay as a variety of characters in quick succession, which is nice because I get bored playing just one for more than 30 minutes.

>feel like a terrible GM
>also feel like a terrible player

I feel like I ruin my friends time just by being there.

I relate to this so much. Too bad I seldom have the time and energy to prepare adventures.

Pros: I'm good at convoluted scheming.
Cons: I like my convoluted schemes.

I work really hard as a player to influence the game world around me, and it comes back to bite my group in the ass half the time.

It's weird though, because as a DM, I feel that whenever I try to implement some longstanding mystery or plot twist, it seems shallow and uninteresting.

So do I.

I try to compensate by always buying food & drink and asking people what they want. Also being sure people who say they don't want anything really don't want anything, giving them multiple chances and suggestions and once more before leaving. Folks change their minds pretty often.

That's my strength, disposable food money.

>Creates intricate backstories for characters I play
>Backstory tells of the character's origins, which has enough story and development to flesh out the character, shaping their personality, flaws, motivations, and ideals, and is reflective of their class and background

I even wrote a lengthy one for a character I played, and it ended up having 12 or so chapters. Too bad my DM didn't take any of it into mind and dismissed my story arc with something bland and unimaginative, despite him being the one who requested it from me.

As a GM i think about the story way too hard and spend way too much time making sure I'm not railroading the players, to the point where if I have a really good story idea I can't run it as a campaign.

As a player I take the game too seriously sometimes... and occasionally suffer from "main character syndrome" So i try to play mostly support and utility characters to prevent this occurring

My group tells me I always do a good job as both DM and player but idk... I feel like I could do way better

As a terrible GM and player, I make everyone else look better by comparison.

As a DM i enjoy too much doing certain cliches and i can't keep the sillyness down. Making my campaings not that serious but in exchange being more rails free than the other regular GMs.

As a Player, i always turn into the Slayer of the team, seeking a glorious dead in combat rather than seeing the next sunrise.

As a DM I'm really good at improvising dialoque. So good in fact that I end up accidently creating new plot hooks that I hadn't planned on so I desperately have to make up new encounters on the fly. So far I haven't been caught yet and my players think I meticulously plan out every possible detail.

As a player I often start with a very well defined and detailed character, but as soon as I start playing I roleplay them in a completely different, but still consistent, way.

I know how you feel, brah. I started the campaign out by handing out a small pdf of background info, had a much more detailed one for myself, meticulously wrote possible happenings of the next weekly session in advance...

... For last three months, I've just been making up things as I go, and my players are none the wiser. Few close calls though, as one of my players keeps detailed notes about the names and things he hears. So when he asks about a random name I made up on the fly, I have no idea who he's talking about.

My hand is turning supersonic from all this waving.

Strengths: I'm pretty good at being mindful that I don't do things to make the game less fun for other players (delaying session needlessly for myself, making the gm spend excessive time on me alone, etc.), and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at creating believable characters. Ones with goals and habits and motivations

Weaknesses: I like to do voices but have no vocal range, and as such can only do about 2 different voices. It's bad enough that when I GM'd once, I did the same voice for 2 people, and a player commented on it. I jokingly responded with "Voices are a privilege, not a right"
To which another responded with "That's why we only get one"
I also really like being the party face and don't enjoy it as much when I'm not. But it often works out, as the people I play with usually do NOT want to be the face.
Also I can get pretty impatient with people who constantly need reminding about rules.

I'm an adequate player but I'm pretty darn good at improvising while DMing, which is a big plus, particularly with my group.

I'm lazy as shit and I tend to think too far ahead, so as soon as things don't go the way I thought they would, I'm lost and kind of panic. I also tend to make things too linear, didn't help that I had players with strictly no ideas or imagination, so they didn't even try to grab any hooks when I gave them any, and didn't even look for any at all.
But I'm pretty good at describing environments, settings, and the way societies function. I'm an okayish GM but a good narrator

I love to create fluff for worlds and making dungeons and encounters and characters, etc.
But when it comes to actually roleplaying describing and making this magical world come alive I have about as much confidence and strength of will has as an old baked sweet potato.

I too have realized I am a terrible player and a far better GM. Even when I do get to be a player I end up making antagonists.

Strengths
>I can improve ideas (read: brainstorming for world building) and make them unique in ways people don't expect
>I'm pretty good at throwing out fantasy location names that work
>I can RP fairly well and get a decent voice for my character

Flaws
>I subconsciously become That Guy in a lot of ways (making edgy characters, needless contrarianism in party dynamic and have issues meshing with the party). It actually got so bad at some points that I was absent for a fair portion of an arc of the main campaign because I had to do my own, personal sessions just to keep my character at the same level as the rest of the party (played an Elf Rogue with tragic backstory that joined the setting equivalent of the Thieves' Guild)
>I can't come up with long-term character goals to save my life aside from very generic shit (get rich, get famous, etc)
>Have trouble thinking outside the box to solve problems, have trouble using environment to my advantage

How do I go about creating characters that aren't bland or trope-filled, but aren't special snowflake edgelords?

Also, Adam and Ryan, if either of you read this, sorry for making shite characters

I have no major difficulty to interpret almost any kind of npc, and create true subtility in their behaviour, as a gm.

As a player, I can only play Rincewind-like character, whatever the system is.

People praise me for being a great, creative DM, being able to turn any concept into a great session. I get praised for offering very open-ended gameplay and allowing players absolute freedom in their actions.

All of this is because I absolutely suck at making anything near a coherent narrative and make up everything on the spot, meaning anything longer than a one-off causes the story to fall apart into a messy pile of plot holes and inconsistencies.

I'm sure your groups do appreciate you. We're all in this to have fun together, so don't worry and just enjoy yourself in whatever way takes your fancy.

Also food. Food works. It's how I make friends at larps.

You can work on your voices, sometimes, only fluctuation in the intonation, the pronunciation and the vocabulary can create many different "voices". When I have particulary "strong" characters (on their way of talking), I talk alone, trying to find the right voices, the right idioms and slangs. When they eventually encounter the character, you can take what you've done to start, and generally, the improvisasion behind will stay on this track.

I feel similar, but for other reasons.
As a GM, my whole focus is making the group have fun. I play the story around them, try to give everyone the same amount of spotlight, try to highlight their strengths and characters and flaws.
As a character, I make a far too detailed character and expect the story to let me shine through and work for my character even with his flaws and quirks. Which I just cant expect when i make up a 4 page story everytime i start thinking about a character. This is also probably why my NPCs work so well as GM, because it takes so little for me to flesh them out, but again, just too much for a PC that I care about.

I am both a terrible GM and a player. Yet I am constantly asked to run/play games. I do not know why people do this. Perhaps i'm so terrible it wraps around into sheer genius or something.

I prefer to GM because it means I'm actually doing something the whole time playing. Otherwise there can be long periods of fuck-all going during which I feel like I could be doing something else instead of playing DnD/etc.

>Strengths
I'm really flexible when it comes to my players.
While I've never knowingly encountered the fabled magical realm, I try to make sure that everybody is getting at least a little bit of the character and experience they like.

I don't feel like I'm good, but I'm told that I consistently make engaging campaigns.

>Flaws
I always consider mechanics second to story and fluff, admittedly to a fault.

I'm also not nearly as organized as I should be, I make up too much on the spot.
Also I'm unoriginal, self-involved, and impossible to satisfy.

I enjoy optimization and making powerful characters with a set of given tools. I generally want to be the face of the party since I'm an extrovert and enjoy being the center of attention.

Most people's idea of "political intrigue" bores me to death and I'd rather just get to the part where we fight the goddamn dragon.

That's not to say I want things to be easy and straightforward, but I'd rather spend an hour strategizing, preparing and executing a detailed battle plan for a given scenario than hear the DM's longwinded explanation of a completely irrelevant fictional culture while rolling dice to see how much I'm being lied to by NPCs.

I have a short attention span when it comes to boring shit in games. I play games to have fun, if I wanted to audit the party's expenses and make sure I paid the rain tax on our base of operations I'd just load up Excel and then hang myself.

It's one thing for something to intentionally be made dull to lull the party into a false sense of security, i.e listening to nobles whine before assassins break into a gala, but I really don't care about the DEEPEST LORE and ten thousand year fanfic history of the kingdom.

I also prefer it when the party is not beholden to a singular person or interest group. Being sent on a quest by the king chafes a lot more than being a wandering band of sellswords looking to make a name

>Otherwise there can be long periods of fuck-all going during which I feel like I could be doing something else instead of playing DnD/etc.
I feel this way while GMing.

>be lawyerfag
>work for hours upon hours to carefully detail the legal systems of every civilization in the setting
>research historical theology and anthropology to write up every civilization and religion believably and accurate to history
>write up a geopolitical theater with detail and thought behind it
>carefully and meticulously write every single NPC up with an A4 page of background
>Spend weeks helping the players design their characters with focus on detail and character interaction
>literally just spend five minutes stealing the Trojan war as plot and rename everyone important.

Holy shit, do I suck at writing up plots.

>Terrible GM
>Terrible Player
>Get to a point where I prefer avoiding RPGs altogether because I don't wanna embarrass myself in front of my friends with Cringy RPing and GMing
It could be worse user.

Well I'm gm now and was barely a player buuut
>Pro: give characters depth and motivation, lots of reasons for doing things that make sense
>Con: give one off characters way too much fucking depth jesus christ

>Pro: Try to have the world have an actual story to it and make as much sense as possible
>Con: Players don't need to fucking know it and I need to stop telling it to them at every moment
Also references. Its better than my old campaign where he straight up made league of legends characters but I get a few too many references in there, even if they're not noticed by my philistine friends.

Oh, and I'm constantly tempted to magical realm things when trying to determine how a society's courtship and such would work. And somewhat disorganized.