Why do people hate psionics?

> I'm too lazy and retarded to learn some new rules.
> WTF, psionics are unbalanced and OP. By the way, wizards seem a bit weak to me, a lot of dead levels, here's my buff.
Seem like pretty weak arguments to me.

>arguments that I have crafted in my head to make people who disagree with me seem retarded seem pretty weak to me

i wonder why OP

/thread

Thematically they don't fit with everyone's image of fantasy.

Like book of Weeaboo fitan magic they have a unrealistic reputation for being obscenely broken and ruining everything so people dismiss them without even reading the source book
>you gotta let me run a psionic gm! They have brain powers and can make enemies brains explode with their toughts! They can mind control ANYONE, even other PCs!
Does not sell many people on allowing them to be used

Because the aesthetic is wrong.

Too fantasy in a lot of sci-fi settings.
Pointless, too sci-fi and rebundant in most fantasy settings.

Having both psionics and magic is a bit weird IMO.

I don't mind psionism in the right sci-fi settings where it fits, but this kind of sci-fi is a bit less popular nowadays if you don't count Warhammer 40.000.
Obviously there is more original fantasy and sci-fi settings where I wouldn't mind psionism and it could even be one of the selling high concepts (magic is actually psionic powers or humanity discovers psychic powers and combine it with tecnhology to become an intertellar empire for example) but in standard fantasy and sci-fi settings, psionism is generaly not well done.

Alot of the hate for psionics comes from the fact that some people consider them to be too "scifi" for typical fantasy (although they've existed as far back as ADnD), and consider them a cheap/pretentious excuse to have magical effects that aren't actually magic.

To be honest, I myself am in the camp that doesn't like them. Just like guns, I simply feel they don't "fit" the spirit of most fantasy settings. Take that as you will.

Why do people hate light sabers and plasma rifles?

> I'm too lazy and retarded to learn some new rules.
> WTF, light sabers and plasma rifles are unbalanced and OP. By the way, katanas seem a bit weak to me, don't scale properly, here's my buff.
Seem like pretty weak arguments to me.

Well that was a fast /thread

>MFW I wanna run a campaign that only allows Psionics, Initiators and Incarnum classes.

>still spamming this whenever D&D is mentioned

Fuck off already.

>I don't mind psionism in the right sci-fi settings where it fits, but this kind of sci-fi is a bit less popular nowadays if you don't count Warhammer 40.000.

Or Star Wars.

You already have wizards, sorcerers and clerics, why have psionics as well?

I've seen people claim psionics are OP because they do better damage than wizards. Know what we call a wizard who relies on damaging spells?

"A really shitty wizard"

Why can't D&D fanboys take any criticism?

Why not?

Yeah too.

>hurr durr your system is shit
>fuck off retard
>wow I was just giving constructive criticism dude

Why do you spam your gay image like a fag?

Honestly what's the fucking difference between psionics and magic in any given fantasy setting anyway?
Personally I think psionics should work like "emapthy magic"

fpbp

Well generally speaking Psionics is purely internal energies vs drawing energy from a weave or ley line of magic. It's you exerting your own power over something as opposed to drawing it from the planes, a deity, or nature.

The powers also tend to be very different from standard magic. Psionics generally doesn't bring back the dead, create zombies, or summons outsiders. Psionicists don't keep familiars either.

Because psionics are defended relentlessly by Psionic fanboys as NOT magic.

There are also some psionic effects that are immune to the normal conventions of spells, such as the Dispel Magic effect.

Then tun it fuckboy.

Also, since Psionics is purely personal power, something you can't just pick up a book in learn that means Psions will be a lot more active than wizards.

>But that sounds like sorcerers.
Even Sorceres can still learn and craft scrolls from Wizards. A Psionicists path to power is a much more personal journey than that of other mages because their power is A PART of them.
Psionic fanboy here. Even in D&D Psionics is recongized as a type of magic. I don't get where this shit comes from. The book even says "PSIONIC EFFECTS ARE AFFECTED BY MAGICAL STUFF YOU CAN RULE OTHERWISE BUT BAD SHIT HAPPENS".
>There are also some psionic effects that are immune to the normal conventions of spells, such as the Dispel Magic effect.
No, Dispel Magic explicitly works vs Psionics. It's pretty much just a lore and mechanical difference.

There is none.

Psionics only work for me as a sort of alien influence in an otherwise fantasy game, or a distinctly fantasy element in a scifi game. It occupies this weird space between the two genres.