Realistic medieval arms, armor and settings

I haven't seen one of these in a while so I guess I'll launch the discussion.

Talk about realistic setting and games such as song of swords or riddle of steel.
Although realistic settings can turn some people off due to how they remind us of how fragile humans are, there are always a plethora of fun options:
>PC's can become old timey mercenaries and eventually mercenary captains in the days of the Italian kingdom states
>Lesser born nobles can aspire to rise up the ranks and earn favors with their lords
>Knights can aspire to eventually one day become leaders of armors and win glory for the households

Also the aesthetic on real medieval arms and armor is often over looked and that's always a shame

Other urls found in this thread:

manuscriptminiatures.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanegashima_(Japanese_matchlock)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In the meanwhile I'll post some illustrations

Some nobles

Some dark age Scandinavians

Some Eastern Europeans for all our Slavs out there

The English

And I'll wrap up (for now) with armor from all over Europe

I have a question that you might have an answer to. What is this type of jacket called? Is it just a Gambeson?

Arming cote in English
But yes it's also known as a Gambeson
I believe name comes from the the three different threads used to make one but I'm not sure

Looks like Veeky Forums is a bit slow today
Bump?

>Osprey

trashman.png

Needs some more common soldiery.

Osprey is surprisingly faithful in it's illustrations

Ok I'll get some

Id use something other than osprey but as cool as those old silly little drawings may be, they aren't as aesthetic

Some medieval artillery which everyone forgets existed

Ooo that's dank
Know the Artist name by any chance?

Bottom right

I always liked the hats on Nippon gunners

>OP says realistic
>uses the wrong reconstruction as an OP image

>Wrong reconstruction
What does that even mean?
People wore whatever they could afford in late medieval times.
It's also based in style off of a German style of armor.
Pic related, nearly identical but different brigantine and different helmet

There are a few RPGs that do away with "hit points" in favor of more granularity.
One in particular where you take differing amounts of pain, physical trauma and bleeding depending on where and how hard you were hit; trauma and bloodloss (as a result of bleeding) contributes to an increasing risk of dying, whereas pain, bloodloss and exhaustion contributes to an increasing risk of going unconscious.
Pain and exhaustion also increases the difficulty for you to do anything, including participating in combat.

A lot of armor reconstructions are straight up wrong. The most famous is one particular suit of armor at the Met in New York, which among other things has the leg armor hanging sideways. That guy may have been thinking of the Met armor, or there may be a glaring error in the OP suit as well.

Does anyone have realistic armour illustrations from before the Late Medieval period - 12th or 13th centuries?

Got any names?

Both of the ones in the OP. Riddle of Steel, Song of Swords, and all the other games that take from Riddle of Steel like Band of Bastards and Blade of the Iron Throne.

A lot of armor reconstructions are wrong true but for the most part the average soldier in that day and era mixed and match different styles and types.
The only problem is see with the op is the use of more rounded bassinet rather than a pig nose which would have been more common (and in the same time frame as the brigantine) in that particular time

Thanks buddy

Manuscript Minatures is a great resource for period artwork of armour.

manuscriptminiatures.com/

I'm also part of a medieval re-enactment group that covers the 9th-mid 13thC if you have any questions about the armour.

>picture for ants

Interesting time frame
You guys do battles?
Also did anyone wear plate or anything similar at that time?

Well, 1470 is barely medieval. Even not medieval at all if you follow the conventional end year of 1453.

(I do know that cannons were used in 1453 and even before).

Bombards and canons were used earlier but during medieval times not TOO much changed to really have any impact on artillery. Other than it getting bigger of course

The time frame is the result of different local chapters of the umbrella group branching off in their own directions from the core period without formally splitting off.

In Western Europe the main armour choices were maille, maille and more maille with gambesons coming during the 12thC. The only plate armour to appear before our date-range ends c.1225 are knee cops and possibly the very earliest Coats of Plates.

And yes, we do battles.

Nice
Got a picture of your kit?

Not that poster but I'm not exactly of the school of thinking that 'medieval' has a hard end date. the transition into the so-called 'renaissance' is so fragmentary and inconsistent to try and nail down hard era labels for medieval and after is pointless pigeon-holing.

And if going for warfare as a metric, 1450s is far too early to stop calling it medieval, hell major traits of medieval warfare are existing into the early 1500s even at the bleeding edge of experimentation and adaptation going on in the Italian Wars.

They used backplates from another armour as skirts in that particular reconstruction. It's actually supposed to have a regular hooped skirt.

Good catch user
Didn't see that actually

Dank eastern shit is always appreciated!
Does anyone know the details about Japanese firearm construction? If I remember correctly there is t much metal in Japan..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanegashima_(Japanese_matchlock)

I like that Morrion, really makes a good impression

>? If I remember correctly there is t much metal in Japan..
That's a dank meme that came about because they indeed did not have enough metal to industrialize and upgrade their fleet to all-steel ships during the 19th and 20st century.

Their deposits suffice for a preindustrial society, but they're inadequate to cover the needs of a modern industry.

I got 2 questions for you anons:
were there ever plate armour designs where the abdominal plate was detached from the chestplate or interlocking under it?
what were the biggest pauldrons around?

Are there any settings or books set in a realistic medieval japan, jap user?

1. Possibly? Maybe the Dravidian panoply but that doesn't count
2. Pauldron are only big enough to JUST cover the shoulders, in same cases extend down a little to the back. As it goes without saying WoW and Warhammer pauldroms are not a thing

i was recently given a book called heavens net is wide by lian hearn although i have not read it yet
i do keep a pocket hagakure around and read bits of it at a time
and if you count manga then vagabond is a fantastic series with a very nice artstyle

Japanese firearm construction is directly based on European models.

Like they chinese, they were just dicking around with weaponized fireworks, rocket propelled arrows and crude bombs etc, until they copied Portuguese produced snap-matchlocks that some murderhobos that got shipwrecked in japan in the 1500s sold to a japanese lord, who then set about having them copied by local weapon smiths.

>were there ever plate armour designs where the abdominal plate was detached from the chestplate or interlocking under it?

The thing is that the armour wasn't really divided into chest/abdomen, you had the breastplate wich usually had a pronounced flare at the bottom, where it was belted/fastened by other means, because you wanted the weight of it to be resting on your hips, and then you put on the hip/skirt protection over that.

That's why real armour often looks like it has a really narrow waist, it was needed to keep the breastplate from just hanging off your shoulders, which would have been awful.

I too have also read vagabond
Next chapter when