EDH/Commander General

Nonstandard Commander Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic
What Commanders do you use that don't necessarily fit in their slice of the color pie or whom does something that does fit in it, but in a way that's not conventional for their colors?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-millers-tale-3/
youtu.be/JodsW6whYqg
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/baral-chief-of-compliance-edh-wip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/affirmative-actiondec/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sad-machine
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/concord-world/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1st for nekusar

Cuckusar, the Bullraiser

>"Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface"
Why is the OP still not listing combodeck.net is beyond me.

Firet for bosh over slobad

How do I upgrade the jeleva precon on a budget? Go the storm route or runechanters pike or what? So far all I am sure of is aetherflux reservoir

Are there any cards similar to firebreathing in green at the uncommon/common level?

As in, a permanent you can dump mana into that gives +X or whatever to a creature?

Or, are there any good manasinks in green, again at common/uncommon?

Doomsday

magiccards.info
1st question:
c!g mana:x
t:artifact mana:x
t:land mana:x
c!g o:{x}
t:artifact o:{x}
t:land o:{x}

ooo. this i can jive with

Killer Bees, if you want a creature version.

Play assorted spells, eventually win by Neverending Torment+Enter the Infinite.

Does it really need to be common/uncommon?

And pic related come to mind but both are rare.

Killer Bees was printed as an uncommon, I use him as the Commander of my pauper deck. Stop looking at the oldest/most expensive version of shit.

No I meant Ursapine and Unyaro were rares.

Oh. Nvm.

Another one, also a rare though.

I'm in the mood for a spellslinging deck. I already have Naya tokens/anthems and Grixis sac/recursion so preferably another color combination. I really like "build around me" commanders, preferably cheap so removal doesn't fuck my day up as much.

What are some commanders that fit the bill?

Spellsling as in "throw as many sorcery/instant as I can"?
I guess Mizzix is the classic one, or vial smasher if you want competitive, or just Baral because he's great looking

>friend is coming over at somepoint today and expects me to teach him magic
>I almost completed a few noob friendly decks, but then got distracted by my new job
Well, fuck. All my decks are esoteric dual/tri colour nonsense. What's the best way to make things simple on the cheap? I'm thinking let him use Uril or Jori-En and I'll use Lazav, but they're all pretty complicated. I also have 90% of the Marath precon hanging around if that helps with anything.

>Vial Smasher if you want competitive
Wait what

Jori En Cantrips?

Keep it mono or two-colored for a beginner I'd say.
Big beaters and voltrons are easy to understand too

what color suffers the most from bad draw?

That's what I was thinking too, but Uril is the "simplest" deck I'm running.

Here are the options:
>Brago generic flickerstuff
>Uril cantrip enchantress
>Lazav wheels and late-game reanimator
>Ghave obscenely complicated combo nonsense
>Jori-En big beaters, planeswalkers and artifacts

Am I totally fucked?

White, no question. Why even ask.

vials only competitive in duel commander which is shit to begin with.

>Brago generic flickerstuff
This is probably the simplest of the bunch, he can use Brago's trigger as pseudo-vigilance and ramp.

This is true, and a fatal weakness of most of my decks is a lack of protection from flying, so he'll get at least a few triggers.

What should I run? I'm thinking I can play Jori-En or Lazav pretty durdle-town if I don't just play out my hand. I have that Marath precon that I can flesh out, as well as most of a Yahenni deck I intended to be the "noob" deck.

I'm thinking I'll let him look through my binder and so I can build him whatever he wants, assuming he has fun, and that way I can give him a crash-course in goodstuff for his strategy.

What's so competitive about vial smasher over like any of the other spellslinger? Her ability is linear as fuck and requires a high cmc to do any significant damage. Seems like a bad card to me.

If Jori En isn't too oppresive you could play it vs Brago. He can start learning funny interations like Reality Acid to remove your big stuff.

20 life on Duel.

Jori-En is only oppressive if I start recuring artifacts, Tezzeret tutors up something mean, or Memnarch shows up. I recently played with a group who hates MLD so I've already taken out all the fun stuff.

I really wish I had enough time to finish Feldon, I had it perfectly planned out to balance against Yaheeni, and demons vs dragons seemed like a good time.

Opinions on pauper/peasant commander ?

My timmy friend wants to give it a shot

It's kinda boring and battlecruiser-y since there's not a lot of good board wipes

Need help with two decks, trying to build Gaddock Teeg as an aggro deck that uses Gaddock as a 'WoG-shield' but never built aggro before and card draw options to reload are lacking in those colours.

Second deck is sliver queen token swarm. It's loosely based off my old Hazezon Tamar deck but I wanted to see how far the theme could go with 5c and the commander is obviously much better with tons of mana. Problem is I found an absolutely degenerate "average turn 4-5 win" deck on mtgsalvation while looking for guides and the spike in me is discouraged because whatever I build will probably be less competitive while the johnny in me is feeling a bit horrified at how disgusting the deck is. How do I get back enthusiasm for the deck now?

I don't necessarily need quantity of spells, I just want a deck that focuses more on instants/sorceries than on permanents.

Mizzix is fun but a friend of mine already plays him and we like to keep it varied. Melek would be a good example of a fun "build around me" spellslinger if it weren't for his high mana cost.

>Jori En Cantrips
Looks good but feels like it has a risk of just ending up as generic goodstuff with some extra card draw.

You get fucking huge boardstalls because the best boardwipe is Evincar's Justice.
Just play 60 card pauper. Much more diverse.

>competitive edh
Yeah, I don't like to dip my wick into the maxed out optimization route, because it gets real boring, real quick. There's only so many times you can swing with Brago to reset your field or abuse Food Chain before it gets old. I only bust out my SSSharuum eggs when a motherfucker starts bragging about how op their deck is or someone wants a taste of what EDH's power level really is. Besides those situations, it sort of just sits there.

What you need to decide is, is Sliver Queen going to be THAT deck? Is it going to be the deck that humbles the fuck out of people? Or do you want it to be a funsies deck, knowing that you went the "I want to have fun doing janky shit" route? Both are fine, despite what EDHgeneral or cEDH might say. Honestly, if you don't go to the "I'm bound and determined to make this train wreck of a commander work" and to the "Not when I shift into Tier 1" extremes, you're missing out on what EDH is. I think everyone should have at least 1 Vintage Highlander deck, at least 1 75% deck and at least 1 "The Room" tier deck.

Play Toshi then. It might look as just killspells.deck but there's a lot of varied black instants.

>the best boardwipe is Evincar's Justice
Rolling Thunder and Pendrell Mists say hello. Also a lot of Essence Scatter-like effects become great because of all the creatures everyone plays.

>Rolling Thunder and Pendrell Mists

I didn't know those were Common since it's Pauper Commander

Just opened this thing in a pack, what decks would best benefit from it?

Rolling thunder was a common in Tempest.

all of them

Decks with lots of mana rocks.

Decks with mana rocks or dorks. I would probably want at least 10. Other than that decks with a general that taps to activate, or a tap theme.

King Macar vehicles

Why does /edh/ keep pushing this? Most of the vehicles are pretty shit and King macar can't even crew half of them himself kek.

Hey man, he said what would benefit and that deck obviously would.

whoosp, meant to quote

It's just a meme because Macar sounds like My car, and he is possibly the only way to make any vehicles viable in edh.

See, that's just it. I love tuning decks, but usually based around the commander. At the end of the day I enjoy the aspect of pushing a deck to higher power levels but endless tutoring and turn 4-5 combo decks aren't fun for me. Tbh I don't really know what limits to impose on myself.

Really I just wish Sheldon would pull his thumb out his ass and ban the most egregious tutor effects so my inner spike isn't niggling away everytime I play a deck that COULD be a vicious combo winner.

(sorry this is turning into a rant) I like the commander system because it allows people to build around a card, in essence making each deck fundamentally different. But at the end of the day, because of the severely lacking banlist, it's usually suboptimal. Unless the commander brings something fucking ridiculous you might as well just play fucking Atogatog and use the five colours to make a degenerate combo deck and this annoys me.
tl;dr get your shit together Sheldon

Arcum daggson

Breya works too since she has access to 4 colors.

"What if we took the Polymorph space and split it between blue and red. Blue would get the controlled version. When I know what I'm going to turn the thing into, that's blue. When I'm going to turn a thing into something else, but I don't know what exactly, that's red.

I did have one important caveat. In the original Commander deck product, Ken Nagle, trying to solve this very problem, made the card Chaos Warp.

The idea was to make a more isolated version of Warp World. Unfortunately, its ability to target enchantments along with its tendency to often whiff and not replace the card ended up making an efficient way to get rid of something that's supposed to be a weakness for red: enchantments. I said that when playing in this space, I didn't want the cards destroying enchantments, and whenever something was destroyed, I always wanted it replaced with something equivalent. This type of spell was red changing things chaotically into something else, not outright destroying them. The team agreed, and we started making cards like Indomitable Creativity."

-Maro 2017

Lo and behold, he's still butthurt.

Considering that Sheldon unbanned metalworker, i doubt he can think.

been working on this one and its gold
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-millers-tale-3/

Something with mana rocks and Isochron Scepter.

Eggs just wins with that card out.

A Z A M I

Why play silumgar? What does he add to the mill strategy?

I'm guessing because his toughness is 7, so he'd tap to mill 7.

A lot better creatures to choose from though, with a lot better toughness to CMC ratios

No, she doesn't.

As a matter of fact, because she is 4 color, I can't think of a single vehicle that doesn't have a better alternative for her.

Breya brings 6 power with her Thopters. I think that's enough to Crew any Vehicle.

Why does she want to crew these vehicles though?

Is it because you are trash and think French vanilla beaters are good in edh? Every vehicle with an actual ability can be replicated more efficiently in her colors. Hell, even if you just wanted to tap stuff clock of omens does it better in an artifact deck

These two cards. I dunno whether to run them or take them out in place for a Pyretic Ritual and a Counterspell.

The deck is Mizzix and the spasm is there for infinite combo with reiterate, the problem is that the combo only really works at 4 experience counters or more, unless I am missing something, which is the same amount of counters for the pyretic ritual/desperate ritual and reiterate combo for infinite mana.

High tide is good but I don't know if I wanna take the deck into a High tide direction and the deck is missing a counterspell or I can cram in a pyromancers goggles.

Am I missing something about these cards? Is there a huge combo I am not seeing other than high tiding and then making an ocean of mana?

That's absolutley ridiculous. Spikes and their toys will be the death of this game, if it's not already headed there fast. Might as well print a card that says 'if you draw a card you win the game' at this point.

Enjoy your lottery cards while you still have people to play with, friendo.

If you pulled it, then play it I guess. But fucking christ...

it's ok, wotc will soon print a new commander that has a new flavor of "when this creature attacks/deals combat damage, you win the game"

we don't have enough of those yet

Yeah man I don't even want to run artifacts in her colors. I just want to use her colors to access a bunch of bomb creatures.

DO YOU LIKE
MY CAR (MY CAR) (MY CAR)

I also tried to build a drift memes deck, and I actually really like how it performs, even if it's incredibly hit or miss and casual power. Here's how the deck essentially works:

1. Zurgo Bellstriker as the commander, and a focus on Crew 2 or less. The reason is Dash- normally, you'd tap your creature, tap your vehicle, and leave both out. With Dash, you get a commander that resists tax, other efficient beaters and vehicle drivers, and a way to dodge creature boardwipes. If they wipe artifacts, you still have creatures. If they wipe everything, you still have creatures to swing in with next turn. It's not like you could block with tapped things anyway.

2. Damage. Impact Tremors, Outpost Siege, Sulfuric Vortex, Furnace of Rath, Bitter Feud, Manabarbs- you want to stack on the damage as hard as possible. You have to be careful about how you order these or else you'll end up getting yourself fucked, but nothing feels so good as running a guy over until he's unable to cast anything without killing himself.

3. Chaos effects
Not the memetic ones, shit like Wild Evocation. The more group-huggy ones. They'll distract opponents while you get your damage engine and make everyone assume you're a silly meme deck. You are a silly meme deck. Enjoy it.

4. Tokens and goodstuff
You do eventually want blockers, and goblin tokens do this just fine. Otherwise, just stack in fun red bullshit.

Dibs

Also, watch the new Alpha Investments video on youtube about commander. Something is afoot.

youtu.be/JodsW6whYqg

My friends can´t read for some reason and calls him nekosaurus

Cause with 4 colors, a person has access to more effects to create tokens to crew the vehicles. And those 4 colors have artifact support. She can easily crew vehicles as well. Lastly, it's fucking vehicles in edh, they won't be strong. It's good enough to make a fun edh you fucking idiot

Does anyone have some tips on how to build an Abzan Reanimator style of EDH deck? I'm trying to build Abzan Butts.dec with Ikra and Sidar.

My only experience with a reanimator strategy, or at least the one I like the most, is Mardu, specifically Alesha using white rez/search, red and black sack outlets and tokens, and so on. I'd like to avoid using Karador if at all possible.

I'd also like to avoid using power 3 or higher as much as possible, use tokens where possible, sack outlets, and repeatable recursion as much as possible (Reanimate is good, but single-use in most cases; I'm looking for things that can be used multiple times.)

I'm assuming you've got Doran and defensive formation. Korador is obviously good, diobolic servitude, phyrexian reclemation, dance of the dead, and strands of night are all repeatable recursion. You'll also have stuff like Ravos and palace siege if you like.

Eternal witness is a must to recur reanimate spells

Opened up Baral and Disallow in the same pack. Any tips on what could be fun to toss in a deck build around him? Playing MTGO so cards are about 100 times less expensive than paper so any ideas would be cool. Likely taking out Darksteel Ingot, but for what I don't know.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/baral-chief-of-compliance-edh-wip/

I'd take out increasing confusion and probably prosparity. Instants/sorceries with the purpose of milling aren't that good. Consider metallurgic summons and throw in some cantrips or something.

Vial Smasher/X is wrecking house in Duel Commander, but that format died a while ago so I'm not sure why anyone cares about it.
Source: Former competitive Duel Commander guy.

Before building Baral, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do I want the game to be fun for me and me only, if at all?
2. Do I like forcing my opponents to ask permission for every single spell they cast?
3. Do I want to waste everyone's time until they concede rather than actually try to win the game like a decent human being?

If you answer "yes" to all three of those, your decklist is as simple as you can possibly get:
1. counterspells
2. spells that let you scry and draw
3. wincons or combos, probably labman

If you answered "no" to #2 and #3, consider running him as part of the 99 in a different deck. Leovold, possibly.

If you answered "no" to #1 but still answered yes to other questions, then you might manage a Baral deck. Try as many "spell cheapening" effects as you can stack in, Jace's Sanctum and such, even if they effect everyone. Set aside a portion of your deck space for things that don't read "counter" or "draw". Give someone faith in humanity.

Im thinking of getting my wife into the group games, and she'd prefer not to have to focus on attacking, but rather politics. and outlasting the others.

never built any form of grouphug or political deck, i need input, please

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/affirmative-actiondec/

Hold up. Before i comment, i read your description. If your wife can quickly learn the rules and she doesn't get frustrated while learning this game, by all means use the gay kings. Otherwise, selvala would be a better choice. I'm assuming it'll be the pic related, which would make for a good commander for a beginner. Less colors make it easier for a beginner to learn the game.

ive contemplated it but the problem building selvala is i have problems building her group huggy over elfball, and edhrec doesn't help much to avoid the elfball

Is there a way to build Jhoira while everyone else can still have fun? UR is my favorite color combo and I love the idea of playing super huge spells like the eldrazi and omniscience. I was thinking of cutting all the extra turn nonsense but keeping one or two wipes like jokulhaups and obliterate

How about lifegain, damage prevention, and/or pillowfort? Put in the other parley cards and that'll reduce the elfball focus significantly. Cards like the sphere cycle could work

When you play with a group hug player, do you let them hang around? I usually try to take them out first and people give me shit for it sometimes.

Sure that works. It'll still be a bitch to fight against but the lack of extra turn spells and a few MLD spells would enable other people to fight back.
Well, if we're just playing for fun, i do whatever. Otherwise, i take advantage of the group hug benefits to win the game.

depends on the kind of group hug, I usually just coast off their free resources and kill everyone at the same time.

i think i might be able to do lifegain and damage prevention, having cards that work politically is another issue entirely

>opponent plays a card that completely fucks over my deck
>gets angry when i start focusing him
what did he fucking expect would happen

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sad-machine

I've asked here, previously, but have since done a lot of honing, so I'd like to ask again: any tips / suggestions for Hope of Ghirapur Voltron? Aside from "don't"

try my decklist anons, its grouphuggy, and its second feature is token generation.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/concord-world/

>make a new deck
>order cards
>notice i completely forgot mana rocks

fuck

thanks, ill give that list a shot, see how she likes it

I just want to avoid being hated out from turn one from the rest of the group as soon as they see her. Jhoira pretty much builds herself so I'll toy around with a list. Thinking about playing cards like Jin-Gitaxias and Blightsteel colossus really excites me

>Not buying mana rocks in bulk
>Not buying Sol Rings by the dozen
>Not having twenty foiled copies of each of your favorite basic lands
Top pleb over here

>His favorite lands have foil printings
Wow, what a pleb.

I'm not taking out a second mortgage for a playset of guru lands

Some people might have fun playing haakon and 99 swamps, it doesn't mean the deck is viable. Sure, you can play whatever you want and get a chuckle out of it, but if it's bad you can't warp the English language and say it's not.

Finally, if that's your only argument, why get hung up on breya? Vehicles aren't viable with her and they won't be viable with hundreds of other commanders, but they could be "fun" with all of them.

He is on MTGO, he should be as toxic as he wants. There is no social contract there. It's almost guaranteed that at least one of his other opponents will be a total jackass.