What would be the best way to play a victorian fantasy campaign with horror elements? Think Bloodborne or Van Helsing

What would be the best way to play a victorian fantasy campaign with horror elements? Think Bloodborne or Van Helsing.

I was thinking of using the World of Darkness system but they generally focus on the beasts rather than the "others", so I don't know how easy it would be to play say, Werewolf as the hunters.

So what part of the Victorian setting do you like? If it's just the aesthetic then you don't need any mechanics, if there's a part of the society you think would be interesting on the other hand then we can probably come up with something for that

Mechanics-wise I think I'd be interested in being able to handle large or otherwise deadly classical beasts (werewolves, vampires, ghouls) in an environment geared primarily towards early guns and mechanical contraptions like repeating crossbows that can also handle a certain degree of magic coming mostly from the players' opponents

But other than that, the setting is very malleable and admittedly generic so I don't think I'd have much trouble cramming it into any system that can allow that kind of thing

>But other than that, the setting is very malleable and admittedly generic so I don't think I'd have much trouble cramming it into any system that can allow that kind of thing
so there's nothing about Victorian society in particular which you want to do?

so literally the aesthetic, also the late 1800s was not a time of early guns - this is post american civil war, there were revolvers and repeaters all over the shop.
But mortal men hunting the scifi and supernatural monsters of the victorian age sounds fun

There's Unhallowed Metropolis, if you don't mind some steampunk/teslapunk elements mixed in.

Bloodborne isn't Victorian in the least. It's Georgian. As a matter of a fact, it doesn't even feel British, it feels Central European.

>Think Bloodborne or Van Helsing.

Or Dishonored, but with less cockney-orphans and more paranormal stuff

In fact, the director himself said he was targeting the feel of faraway, forgotten and decadent cities in eastern europe when making the game. Basically, more Dracula and less Jack the Ripper.

But of course, most of the audience sees top hats and narrow streets and thinks London because that's how pop culture works.

Depends on if you want the players to be powerful monster hunters or scared and fucked all the time.

Depends on if you want tactical grid combat or cinematic driven combat.

I'd use Dogs In The Vineyard personally, its dark horror western that would be very easy to swap to ye olde 16th-19th century aengland. Can keep it horror based pretty easily.

If you like grid combat, probably savage worlds, or fuck it dnd 5th ed.

WoD has books for being hunters. I'm not into their game mechanics, but they have the stuff.

If its less about being superheroes, more about being afraid of weird shit and dieing look into Lamentations of The Flame Princess.

All of the generics will give you some version of this, its tropic. Can't speak to gurps or fate, but people like them.

>If you like grid combat, probably savage worlds, or fuck it dnd 5th ed.

>If you like grid combat...
>... two games where the selling point is non-reliance on grid

The default Chronicles of Darkness book is geared towards mortal play. oWoD is shit for mortals, though, yeah.

Lovecraft is literally Victorian Era horror, so just play one of the many Cthulu mythos games and set it in Europe instead of New England.

"Being a wargame hack" and "Not reliant on grid", though similar at a glance, are ultimately very different things

If you like DnD 2e/3e you have Ravenloft for a campaign setting. And even if you don't like the system you can still use the book for inspiration.

I'm not sure I follow?

Didn't you mean "being a wargame hack" and "relying on grids"? That seems to make more sense.

SW, IIRC uses inches (or some other wargame measurement), not a grid, and precise positioning (as opposed to relative) isn't generally important in either of those games (or at least not as important in 5e as it was in the previous 2 editions by far).

Yharnam or Prague?

The names feel sorta English to me. "Yharnam" feels like the same lingual "logic" as, idk, Burningham (even if the spelling is different).

>The names feel sorta English to me
Yeah, like Gascoigne. Or Gehrman.
>Burningham
That's not a city. Although many people would wish it was indeed burning.

>Gascoigne

Is not a Yharnamite.

But you are right, more germanic than anglo.

>germanic
Then we have Iosefka, Micolash, Djura and other Slavic names. The place is clearly based on Czech Republic.

So Prague and Budapest.