Barring Game of Thrones, has there been any Veeky Forums-approved fantasy on TV recently?

Barring Game of Thrones, has there been any Veeky Forums-approved fantasy on TV recently?

I watched two episodes of Shannara Chronicles because someone recommended it to me, but it's a real shitshow. It whacks you around the head with so much teen drama you wouldn't be able to get into the tired, derivative fantasy aspect of the show even if you tried.

That person is dead to me now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v7yb4uiTrGg
youtube.com/watch?v=0EcnAt7IfRc
youtube.com/watch?v=2fxwkXtwJz0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4rm2QD3xE
youtube.com/watch?v=pj8yq_urL5c
youtu.be/ep65rr-9qjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eUbvrE--Dkg
youtube.com/watch?v=yv3DedNXN4o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My girlfriend got me to watch that show. She loves teen drama stuff for some reason. It starts to pick up a bit later on. The surprise is just as cliche as generic fantasy, but it's not a wholly Tolkienesque fantasy world. The teen drama tones down a bit too, I actually liked it quite a bit by the end of the season.

>Game of Thrones
>Veeky Forums approved

This is the part where I get to say that your opinions aren't those of Veeky Forums, right?

Also fuck you because your waifu is shit, your edition sucks, and that you deserve every ring-stain on your table.

>you deserve every ring-stain on your table

I like it, it's honestly not too bad and the costumes are pretty baller.

That said, I hate the Rover girl with an undying passion, she is literally the dickass thief, and every decision she makes piles more shit on the actually good characters.

The Magicians has a decent villain but good god are all the characters unlikeable. It's like a very poor writer saw Harry Potter, sneered at the concept of people generally being decent beings, and set out to remove every iota of basic goodness. Only he couldn't write very well, so you get an awkward, angsty mess.

When people aren't moping (rare), it can be enjoyable, but I rolled my eyes a lot. Also, the show's pacing is garbage.

>I hate the Rover girl with an undying passion
At least she's kind of nice to look at.

Now that's just over the line.

Is the left one a man or a woman?

If you aren't allergic to cartoons, there's Lastman, french urban fantasy series. Season 2 will probably take place in a med fan world entirely.
It's being subbed on youtube
ep.1 youtube.com/watch?v=v7yb4uiTrGg
ep.2 youtube.com/watch?v=0EcnAt7IfRc
ep.3 youtube.com/watch?v=2fxwkXtwJz0
ep.4 youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4rm2QD3xE

2016 wasn't filled with med-fan series.

if it's cute he's a woman

but he isn't

A man, look at the jaw and slight stubble.

Could be Dirty McManjaw, i dunno

Well shit, I'm french myself and had no idea this existed.

Better than I expected desu, a lot less terrible than a lot of french shows.

Had a good kek at the fat french godfather.

Is Into The Borderlands any good, Veeky Forums?

For some more modern settings, if you're ok with watching something that was on a few years ago, Fringe definitely works. It's probably too easy to learn some of the twists in the series but i'll refrain from giving them away here.

It deals with a joint effort by the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. To investigate a series of paranormal or fringe science related caees that all are seemingly related. If that sounds like X-Files, they actually refer to the X-Files as an homage in at least one episode... but it's not a sequel. The nice thing is that, unlike X-Files, questions actually get answered in Fringe. As much as I enjoyed the show, I have to admit that the last season is my least favorite but it does definitely tie things up by the conclusion.

I'm actually running a game based on Fringe using episode guides to write adventures.

Ice Fantasy my niner is the greatest bit of literature and camara work to be on Netflix, with such amazing original characters as "Murmaid princess" and the Tiger Monster fight scene is better than the entire IP Man series combined.

11/10 I entirely recommend the greatest thing to come out of since the opium wars.

Here's a list. I'm sure it doesn't cover everything. But still.

Historical shows
Vikings
Musketeers
Borgia
The Borgias
Tudors
Medicine
Last Kindgom
The Roman Empire
Etc

Urban Fantasy
The Librarians
Lucifer
Constantine
The Originals?
The Magicians (on my watch list, haven't seen it yet>

SciFi
Timeless
The Expanse

Anime
Grimgar
Drifters

>Last Kindgom
That series just comes across as the BBC trying to cash in on the success of Vikings.

Maybe. It's not the best one in the list, but it was decent nonetheless.

Librarians is a really entertaining campy Veeky Forums urban fantasy show.

>The Magicians
Just watch out, it's easy to get fatigued with this one, since every main character is an angsty twat of some sort or other, like Harry Potter meets Holden Caulfield.

People like to complain about things not getting carried over from the books in TV adaptations, but that's one of the things I wish the show had dropped.

>Librarians is a really entertaining campy Veeky Forums urban fantasy show.
Campy is right, but it's entertaining enough. Not gold-standard TV by any means, but I haven't got bored with it yet.

>teenagers wearing form-fitting leather apparel/''''armour''''

I can already tell the series is utter shit but my dick don't care

While not fantastic, there's always shadowhunters, which is technically modern urban fantasy.

As for older stuff, there's a lot. Here's a list of ones I enjoyed, of the top of my head.
Rome, Buffy, Angel, Fringe, Andromeda, Firefly, Farscape, Continuum, Frequency, log horizon, full metal alchemist.

Not a unique list by any stretch, but if you haven't seen something on it, you should check and see if it's something you might be interested in.

>Historical shows

YOU FORGOT ''ROME'' YOU TWAT

youtube.com/watch?v=pj8yq_urL5c

I didn't forget Rome. Rome is not current nor recent. Rome is over a decade old.

The TV movies they're based on are also campy urban fantasy fun, and very Indiana Jones inspired.

Don't forget Legend of the Seeker and Record of Lodoss War.

That show is so weird. It has simultaneously an amazing budget and no budget at all!

It's costuming and props department is very well funded, it's scenes and sets suffer from the same CGI back-dropping as "Sky captain and the world of tomorrow", and the action/fight scenes feel so.... Poor. Average at the VERY best.
And, more than once by a bunch, I KNOW i've heard the music they use somewhere else....

>Leaving out Marco Polo

It's a little goofy but Benedict Wong steals the show.

Just go in understanding it's a work of pure fiction borrowing a few historical names and places.

Westworld, maybe

Its kind of interesting with its post-apocalyptic, feudal, 1920s-ish gangster crime-family kung fu warband mashup, but I only vaguely watched 4-5 episodes on in the background.

I really liked Fringe, because it didn't fall into the X-files trap of introducing everything and the kitchensink and then ignoring it to maintain a status quo. It always made me happy when they dusted off some MacGuffin from any earlier episode to deal with the weirdness of the week. It was also pretty good at reinventing itself season to season. It could definitely have been tighter.

I like 12 Monkeys, couple too many filler episodes in the first seven, and they drop the momentum in the season 2 finale when they banked on getting a third.

I started watching syfy's trashy Aftermath series and its so bad, and so bonkers I ended up marathoning the first season. Its not good. Its shit. I just wanted that to be clear. Its half apocalyptic survival story, half-Brady-Bunch-tier family shenanigans, if the Brady Bunch remorselessly killed folks at the slightest provocation. Having watched the nebulous mystery of two seasons of the Leftovers, Aftermath's first episode was refreshing. In the first 15 minutes, there's storms, earthquakes, rains of snakes and fish and cars, missing teens, demon-smoke possessions, Anne Heche, flying kidnappers, Cross-lite crazies, also you better believe there's meteors by episode end. And that's just episode one. Characters essentially kill a guy for being rude at the dinner table. Characters are introduced and killed off seemingly at random. Characters miss three square meals and suddenly become hardened psychos like season six of the Walking Dead. There's no comeuppance for anything the family do... and they're all various shades of That Guy.
If you wanted somebody to deadpan the line: "I prefer to call them Aswangs" almost out of nowhere, then this is the show you've been waiting for.

Haven't seen those yet. Good?

It wasn't that good.

The show is pretty bad on a lot of levels. Not completely unwatchable but just relentlessly average. The thing that really bugs me is the number of modern artifacts they literally trip over in every episode. Stuff that couldn't possibly have survived 3,000 years and multiple wars and natural disasters

I'm of the opinion that the vast, VAST majority of modern television is unwatchable cringeworthy garbage, and anything remotely "fantasy" related lives on the far edge of "shit". If I had to guess, it's probably based on the fact that most of it is based on young adult books intended for tween girls, but it's a genre that has been picked up by women as far as into their early thirties I've found.

It's just an easy cop-out. Take a vaguely interesting premise for a setting to use as a hook, fill it with generic young adult literature characters, have nothing of value happen, refuse to explore the hook or premise in any meaningful way.

In all honesty I just want my girlfriend to stop telling me about the specific, boring plotpoints of her stupid show about fae courts or vampire hunters or whatever the fuck it is. It's just pretty boy show #46602, this guy is gay, this one has known the female protagonist longer than the other boy that she flipflops between. Her mom is evil. There's a magic mcguffin that requires people to be married or strip or kiss. Fuck off.

I like the idea of world that looks like a generic D&D setting but is actually a post-apocalyptic world where the various fantasy races descended from humans. Kind of like if you dropped a big fuck off nuke in Shadowrun.

But The Shannara Chronicles does nothing with that idea other than window dressing. The dull story of bland princess on a destiny quest and a hunky boy who needs to choose which hot girl to bang does nothing with that one cool idea.

The books were way better about that. The implications that Shannara-land was future earth were pretty subtle. But I guess they decided "Lol, this is how we shall make ourselves unique!" so they just fucking ran with the post-apocalyptic angle. It's not the worst decision they made, but it's not the one good decision they made either. THAT was not starting with Lord of the R... I mean Lord of... Lord... Sword of Shannara. I mean Lord of the Rings.

Taboo started off pretty promising with the weird implied occult angle. Felt like a much less overt, more grimy Dishonored. But then episodes 3 was boring and 4 went full modern television edgelord syndrome.

At least we still have Based Brace.

youtu.be/ep65rr-9qjQ

Not recent but here

I watch Reign, which could be considered at least tangentially Veeky Forums do to its focus on court politics and the like. It's a CW show so it's sort of terrible but entertaining.

Also, it has Megan Follows and Craig Parker chewing scenery at Star Trek levels which is great.

Watched the whole season. I didn't think it was shit but it was pretty meh. The only good elements were the surprisingly decent effects (although I think they spent too much of their budget on scenery and not enough on extras because the elven 'army' ends up being like twenty people), the qt elf girl and that episode where the human colony finds an episode of Star Trek and thinks it's actual human history (and that Spock is a filthy elf).

Also, both Gimli and Crassus were criminally underused.

She was also one of the worst actresses I've ever seen in any sort of professional productions.

I have a love/hate relationship with this show. When it was on it was ON and the characters and production values where fantastic. However, I really got to hate how the writers insisted on not only including the soldier bros in every major historical event of the era but actually made them the cause of most of them. It felt like fanfiction and a disservice to an otherwise compelling show set against a historical background.

There was only one episode made of this, right?

Aye

>and that episode where the human colony finds an episode of Star Trek and thinks it's actual human history (and that Spock is a filthy elf).

is this another "the fantasy world is post-apocalyptic earth" scenario or did they use extradimensional travel or what

Funny, I found the books to be the same way.

No it's post-apocalyptic. It really is the only interesting thing the show has going for it.

The former.

Yeah that show was bad, I'm gonna read the book though, maybe it's just a bad adaptation. I can see potential.

Now I feel old.

lame

You can't be mad at a show that casts Bruce Campbell as Santa Claus

Whenever I see some french cartoon I remember Le parfum de l'invisible and expect everyone clothes to fall off.
This looks good though!

This show got me so mad because the elf girl was a whore.

Fucking loved Fringe, actually. Abrams' best show.

>I actually liked it quite a bit by the end of the season.
I made 5 episodes before I stopped watching it. That's 4.1 more than average.

Problem is, "recent" means "in the last 10 years" for me. My to watch list is so long and my free time is so limited that I usually just tap out and watch something /comfy/ that I've seen 10 times already than anything new.

The books aren't significantly better, but the plot is slightly more coherent.

The elevator pitch is "what if Hogwarts was a college in upstate New York" and the result is "Ok, so like, you have a Voldemort and the 'heroes' are like...ambiguous at best."

The TV show has the advantage of spectacularly hot girls everywhere. I think I'd give it the nod.

>Veeky Forums-approved fantasy on TV
Wizards of Aus, was on TV in Australia but is all also on youtube. Think something similar to that Veeky Forums screenshot about the party ignoring the lich and fighting for gay rights then being shocked that everything goes to shit but insert wizard rights in our modern world instead.

Ah. Yeah, to me, recent means new episodes in the past 3 (maybe 4) years.

But either way, Rome was more than 10 years ago.

Is magicians any good?

>Wizards of Aus
It better sound like this
youtube.com/watch?v=eUbvrE--Dkg

>Hell On Wheels

Though I am bias, I love Westerns.

Galavant, mate. It's great. That is, if you can handle silly musicals

I liked the book a bunch when I was younger. It would probably disappoint me

>SciFi

Continuum. A time travel show that isn't Dr Who or absolute steaming garbage. Actions have consequences, the timeline fucks back, it gets into some of the great ethical and moral quandries. Canadian as apologizing, last season gets a little blah, but great through and through.

I thought the first book was pretty decent. Never read the second and third. The first half of the first book was definitely the strongest bit. A lot of the drama in the second half was pretty shit, and the book had bizarre amount of power creep, which was weird to experience in something written like lit fic.

Is Galavant officially ded or is it still up in the air?

I couldn't make it through the first 15 minutes of continuum, it seemed so shitty and cliché

legend of the seeker is based off of the book series by terry badkind

Now I HAVE to watch this

Surprised I haven't seen Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell posted already.

A pair of magicians in early 19th century Britain bring back British magic. They fight Napoleon, dick around with the Fair Folk (or at least one of them), etc. Good show.

That's the same girl from Pan's Labyrinth. That makes me feel fuggin' old

I think I have 3-4 episodes to go, I'm enjoying it.

God I couldn't stand that book. I guess I just didn't "get" it or something but I gave up after the first 300 pages of dinner parties and boring as shit characters

First couple seasons of Supernatural weren't bad. Played out like a WoD campaign, guys fighting spooky ghosts and stuff. Jumped the shark pretty bad later on, and fuck me sideways if I can figure out what's going on now with it.

>That's the same girl from Pan's Labyrinth

Holy SHIT, I did not realize that.

I guess her acting just sucks in Shannara because she can't into english well.

I find her unbelievably attractive, and lord help me I think the accent is adorable.

user from , here. Yeah, I saw her in Shannara and I was like, "I know those lips" and looked her up in IMDB... and immediately felt depressed

Yup, officially cancelled now, even though its second season was so much better than the first one

Only watched the first 30 minutes of this shitshow. And I usually don't even have high standards when it comes to these kind of shows. What the actual fuck.

>Cockney
>Australian

No it sounds like this
youtube.com/watch?v=yv3DedNXN4o

>CHUCK IT IN ME GASH
Gets me every time, but it sure as shit isn't an aussie dialect.

What a shame

Because its written as a serialized story from the 19th century. You're supposed to read it in small bursts.

F

Legend of the Seeker is ok. Record of Lodoss War is pretty good. Anime based off the creator's own D&D game set in Forgotten Realms (had to change the names of a lot of stuff for legal reasons, but its VERY obviously Forgotten Realms inspired).

To be fair I'm pretty sure Shannara is the series that did that trope first.

>Abrams' best show.

That's not a terribly high bar to meet. Just saying.

>First couple seasons of Supernatural weren't bad.

They were OK at best. Great ideas, but it ticked me off how little they actually showed.

>"Hey, let me tell you about this epic war between heaven and hell!"
>Show's literally none of it, just has characters talk about it.

That and the fact that the writers needed to remind the viewer like 5 times every episode that Sam and Dean were brothers. That way people didn't get confused and think they were gay lovers (which isn't too far off).

>First couple seasons of Supernatural weren't bad.
Ugh. First couple seasons are scarcely watchable. It starts to get decent around season 3, then it's good until the end of season 5. After that it's got ups and downs as the writers experiment with different ideas.

Jumped the shark pretty bad later on, and fuck me sideways if I can figure out what's going on now with it.

>your opinions aren't those of Veeky Forums, right
Exactly. Just beceuse you like shit doesnt mean Veeky Forums does too.

More to the point, got, specially the tv version has always been a point of contention here so saying its Veeky Forums aproved is retarded.

>The surprise is just as cliche as generic fantasy
Are you talking about the fact that they're in the future, because it's not a surprise if you've read pretty much any of the books.

In middle school when I read a couple I thought it was pretty cool because it was the first time I had encountered it.

Am I the only one who doesn't like post-apocalyptic fantasy?

I don't get why, I would say it feels cliche, but I realize that Shannara was probably the first series in fantasy to do this.

>and that you deserve every ring-stain on your table.
That was a little too far, man. They're still fellow fa/tg/entlemen.

If web series count, might I suggest Tabletop?

You might find Wil Wheaton hard to sit through, but it's undoubtedly Veeky Forums related and I've seen more than a few games I'd either like to try, or indeed did try because it looked fun on the show.

This post kinda speaks to my soul desu.
I'm a little less pessimistic than you, though