How would you go about writing a game that's apocalyptic...

How would you go about writing a game that's apocalyptic? Not pre-apocalypse and trying to prevent it nor post-apocalypse. But right there in the end of the world.

What sort of apocalypse?

A sort of slow mythological apocalypse. The climate drastically changing, gods dying, continents shifting. Essentially the death of existence.

Shit just getting bleaker and bleaker until the final lights go out?

Does everyone know the apocalypse is coming? Is it unexpected? Is it driven inadvertently forward because of the PCs actions?

Step one is figuring out what the apocalypse is. Then make a backwards a time line of events that lead up to it and plop your story in there.

Exactly.

Emphasize the scramble for safety, it is a race for the slight chance to make it through.

Get inside the bunker or the last ship offworld.

no other user.
you looking for a dark souls type vibe?

>not other user

How bad would it be?
Will there still be a chance for a post-apocalypse with a few people still surviving or will it straight up go as far as "everyone dies and there will never be life again, ever"?

>the death of existence
I don't know if I would wright a campaign where the players are destined to lose. I don't think anyone, me nor the players, would be satisfied with that.

Thinking about it, that may be the goal. The players, faced with the end of the world, need to ensure that there's something left afterward. I think as a game it would be super unfulfilling to just go "Fuck it, you all, and everyone else, dies," unless the players fuck up, of course.

If you can tolerate Dungeon World, there's The Last Days of Angelkite. Basically, you play as guys fighting the last battle, to see how long they can keep humanity and existence going.

Play Banner Saga, and then just do that.

Play campaign normally then exclaim in the middle of it that BBEG had won and everything is lost. Jerking off and calling your players faggots is optional.

Maybe we could call it something like... Apocalypse World?

The end of the world does a pretty decent job at it, give it a try

Played this, played for maybe an hour before he started the end. Then we got super powers (weak ones) and started doing alright. Then the wildlife became horrifying and it was back to ohgodohgoohgod

We managed to survive, colonized the Artic, tamed a small fraction of the new wildlife, and met with the other surviving colonies.

This did not go well and ended the new world and began the rise of our clan.

was fun.

I've also ran the start of the zombie Apocalypse. was also fun, mostly because humor and horror in the right doses makes players forget important things.

Draw inspiration from BPRD

>Jerking off and calling your players faggots is optional
>optional
kill urself

>I don't know if I would wright a campaign where the players are destined to lose. I don't think anyone, me nor the players, would be satisfied with that.
You've obviously never heard of World of Darkness.

Also thinking of "losing" and "winning" in an RPG means you're a scrub.