How many dragons you got in your setting, Veeky Forums?

How many dragons you got in your setting, Veeky Forums?
Are they just more monsters roaming the world or are they near godlike beasts and destructive forces of nature? Do people go "Aaahhh, dragon!" Or do they completely lose their shit at seeing something that simply shouldn't be? Is there an actual ecology for them or are they something more special than that?

>How many dragons you got in your setting, Veeky Forums?

Most cultures in the setting regard dragons as ancient spirits of power and wisdom. Sometimes they're malevolent, sometimes they aren't. Most people don't think they exist, at least not anymore. But they feature prominently in folklore and mythology.

One. He is pretty much satan.

The spectrum runs from cosmic dragons, who won't even acknowledge anything smaller than a galaxy, to your typical flying lizard whom a knight can slay. The problem is that dragons degenerate with each generation due to a curse put upon them by a cosmic elder god. During the age described in the setting, the vast majority of dragons degenerated to typical D&D dragons, although there are still some patriarchs left who could eat gods for breakfast.

1 for each primary aspect.
All are INSANELY autistic.
Offspring are all just as bad but can adapt to populations who worship them as gods etc.
Power wise the aspects are capable of fighting nations themselves but they act mundanely since they are entirely about their roles.

The Elementals are all fucking assholes though.

and yes it's pretty much stolen from WoW but with less Metzen tier writing.

>All are INSANELY autistic

I stole my Dragons from Final Fantasy 14 (thankfully none of my players play the game)

They're basically just normal (if intelligent and very dangerous and old) enemies/allies. But they're all descendants of the seven dragons, who are the children of Midgardsormr, the primordial serpent. Midgardsormr arrived on the planet while it was still young with seven eggs and after millennia the eggs hatched and his brood started breeding with each other and become somewhat gods themselves. Some of these broods are good, others are evil and some are neutral. Midgardsormr himself is just content sleeping and coiling around the core of the planet, while his children rise and fall. The further you are generationally from Midgardsormr the less power you have. So you have Midgardsormr who is older and more powerful than gods, his seven children who are basically gods themselves, all the way to tiny, barely sentient wingless drakes that some countries use as mounts.

His seven children are not immortal, one was killed by his brethren after he made a deal with hell to invade the planet, the other died from being killed by an ancient, powerful emperor (I ripped off Sigmar too. God, I'm such an unimaginative GM) and the other died after being betrayed by mankind (thus starting the dragon wars.)

That said, nobody can even put a dent in Midgardsormr since his own spiritual avatar once destroyed an army without a scratch when said army tried to siphon magic from the planet's core. Thankfully he's completely neutral and is content with his slumber. He's just there to make sure there is life on the planet, whether human, orc, undead, or demonic, he doesn't care.

Now imagine my sorrow as I can never tell the origin story of the dragons to my players because they're all murderhobos who doesn't give two shits about the glorious past and the Thing that sleeps beneath. That said, I'm a unoriginal hack when it comes to ideas, so I'm ok with it.

>INSANELY autistic.
>fucking assholes
I think you're lying to yourself regarding the Metzen tier writing.

Very few left in the world.
They could be counted, but I've only established two.

>Are they just more monsters roaming the world or are they near godlike beasts and destructive forces of nature?
They are just beings, but closer to godlike beasts than simple monsters.

>Do people go "Aaahhh, dragon!" Or do they completely lose their shit at seeing something that simply shouldn't be?
Seeing a full sized Dragon would be like seeing an invading force of literal Nazi Germany soldiers in modern America.
You would be threatened but also genuinely surprised and a little confused to see them.
People are only used to seeing smaller wyverns, and then only in their territory.

>Is there an actual ecology for them or are they something more special than that?
Their biology is special and they are the oldest race, but they fit into ecology.

>Ornstein, I am your father
>sweet.

>then he killed him
>really fucking hard

Plenty.
Theyre the strongest monsters around. Some are smart and capable of speaking, while others are mindless beasts. Depends on the individual. Smart dragons can gave dumb kids and vice versa.

Dumd dragons are engines of destruction one adults. Kindom destroying threats
Younger dragons can be defeated by a careful adventuring party or a well trained military unit.

Every kingdom hunts dumb dragons asap to avoid letting them become greater threats.

Smart dragons are smart from birth and usually arent found before theyre strong enough but on the other hand smart dragons dont destroy things wiyhout reason.

I wonder if anyone else just uses the dnd dragons besides me.

Like i dont have any special feelings for dragons so i dont see the reason to nake them super rare and unique or whatever.

Whats the point of having dragons in your setting if theyre likely never going to be a factor in your campaigns?

It's not that they wouldn't be a factor. It's more that the dragon in the campaign is something supremely important. The way D&D presents them makes them seem so blazhe. There are half a dozen age categories for ten to fifteen different species of dragon.

Somewhere around 60-100. There used to be thousands, but some curse befell them during what was essentially an apocalypse thousands of years ago and turned the vast majority into pathetic humanoids: dragonborn.

>There are half a dozen age categories
I can understand disliking having multiple species of dragon, but them have age categories makes perfect sense.
The older the dragon the more powerful it is. That`s how it goes in pretty any setting where dragons are born instead of just spawning from nowhere.

I prefer having dragons be actual living creatures, that are born and grows. There's enough gods and supernatural spirits in fantasy settings without making dragons into another type of them

> After the elven societies fell into drug and sex-inflicted torpor, dragons took over the surface
> Enslaved the mortal races for shits and giggles
> Dwarves were too stubborn to be enslaved permanently and rebelled
> Built dragon-fighting robots to fight them
> Sealed away greatest of the Overlords inside solid brass spheres and drove dragons to the brink of extinction
> Conquered the earth with what they'd learned in the Uprising, wiped out all evidence they'd ever been subjected to the rule of non-dwarves
> Tried to re-write reality to make their reign permanent and retroactive, as their secret was enough to drive the grudge-keepers mad
> Accidentally opened a portal to the Lower Planes instead, where time has no meaning
> Dwarven empire collapses, dwarves are forced into diaspora, humans finally take over because they can breed fast enough to repopulate the wasteland

There have been a grand total of 5 actual dragons in my campaigns: two feuding mates in a volcanic archipelago, an acid-breathing juvenile (but still 500 years old) dragon in a voodoo swamp, a juvenile shadow dragon (from another plane), and the spirit of one of the Overlords.

Dragons are beasts from another time, and even the weakest of them is a rare and almost invariably fatal event. Stumbling across one would be like stumbling across a hyperintelligent T-rex -- unless you have some major artillery on your side, you're not walking away from that encounter. Not only do you not have any intelligence on what dragons are or where they come from, but the civilizations that had contact with them have no written record of what the fuck they are, because they destroyed those records and then destroyed themselves. This means that not only are you going to die, but that you probably don't even have the vocabulary to describe what killed you.

Cats kill mice. Wolves kill sheep. Dragons kill people.

The way I see it dragons are just another thing that exists. If I feel the need to use them I will but their "ecology" and "mythology" and all that BS isn't really relevant.
If there's a massive, fire-breathing, genius terror-lizard intent on murdering you to protect its shit (which you want to steal) then knowing it's social constructs and racial beliefs on its origins aren't going to be high on your list of priorities.

Plus I learned a long time ago not to waste my time and effort fleshing out something that is going to get enthusiastically gang-raped to death by my players literally the minute they realize it's there.

Very few, with what ones remaining nesting high atop mountains in the northwest. The birdfolk essentially hunted them to extinction, because in their culture an elite-warrior is not capable of defending the divine kingdom until they fell a dragon. In addition to this, dragon scales are extremely valuable and versatile--being used for anything from potions to armor.

One dragon

It's an Elven deity of death and rebirth stuck in limbo who fell to Earth and takes the form of a six legged crocodile. It's fall to Earth caused a bleeding wound which corrupts the landscape around it, creating an ever expanding swamp and driving the local wildlife to madness. The sentient races afflicted by it wage a never ending holy war to gain its favor.

I've been told I ripped off Bloodborne, but I've never played the game to know what they're talking about.

Dragons were originally a sentient species that effectively ruled the world until various wars with the giants and lesser races combined with their naturally low birth rates led to them being driven to the brink of extinction. Eventually the only remaining dragons are either degenerated dragons that aren't sentient or a few intelligent survivors living on the outskirts of the world.

Some of the mortal descendants of dragons formed a pseudo military religious order that has a few fortresses scattered throughout the world. They follow a cult of ancestor/dragon worship and often fight as mercenaries. Although they talk about uniting the world under the dragons nobody takes them seriously as an actual threat.

I will never understand the need to make dragons "special".
Even in the various mythologies, they're never this world-ending threat that can cast all the magics while also being a invincible beast.
isn't having dragons be huge monsters AND massively intelligent AND incredibly talented spellcasters that have their own brand of magic AND can shapeshift into any form at will AND immune to non-magical weapons not enough for you?

Like, I see one dragon being the world destroyer that is sleeping under the world tree or whatever but having every dragon be something that makes godzilla look like a little baby is a bit over-wanking the concept.

And a side note why is it that every dragonfapper has to write like he's a angsty teenager trying too hard to write "deep" poetry?
>a dragon is like a shark swimming trough reality
or some random shit like that, pretty sure someone posted that in some other dragon thread.

I'd say there's about 100 across the entirety of the galaxy.
They're incredibly powerful, and have natural FTL abilities. They are also very long lived and are very smart because of it. The downside to this is that they are very prone to going insane and committing suicide before they've even started to feel their age. It's so bad that there is not a single account of a dragon living to the end of it's natural lifespan.

I don't have a concrete number, but there are a bunch. Relatively rare but definitely encounter-able.

>Are they just more monsters roaming the world or are they near godlike beasts and destructive forces of nature?
Somewhere in between. Dragon were born from the blood of the Serpent, basically the primordial creator god of the setting, along with the Fey. They have a bit of the divine spark, but are not otherwise that special. However, killing roughly half of them is enough to reawaken the Serpent, which may or may not destroy the current universe that is its body.

>Do people go "Aaahhh, dragon!"
More or less this. The divine thing isn't generally known, so most regard dragons similarly to other magical monsters.

>Is there an actual ecology for them or are they something more special than that?
Part of the ecology. They hunt like intelligent solitary creatures and just mind their own business for the most part, except that they have a rivalry with fairies. They're technically immortal but still need to eat.

Quite a lot of ones that have innate ability to shapeshift and spend most of the time in human form. Ones that are "just" dragons are exceedingly rare and mostly in hidign
They are all powerful without exception, but there is a fair number of mortals who can reach their level
>Do people go "Aaahhh, dragon!" Or do they completely lose their shit at seeing something that simply shouldn't be?
If they are in human form, obviously not. If they change, i can imagine some common folk would lose their shit because there is usually little use for maintainign their true apperance short for fucking things up.
Not really. They work on magic.
Well, in times when non-shapeshifting variant was more common it was tad different, but then they were kind of slaughtered and nowadays they just work like people+ for the most part.

Having them be a factor in your campaigns.

>The older the dragon the more powerful it is.
The older a cow is, the more powerful it is.
Where are the profiles for calves?

Three. They're all end-time plot devices that must be wrestled into submission by Angels before new universes can be safely created. The PCs are going to usher in the Death of the Universe trying to find them because they still compute dragons = hoard.

>they are very prone to going insane and committing suicide
>not a single account of a dragon living to the end of it's natural lifespan
Then how do you know what the natural lifespan is supposed to be?

I play Mage: The Ascension, so the only dragon I currently have is *the* dragon, which is the very archetype of draconic power; a creature of greed and power, infinitely old and glutted on the fame and fear of it's lesser kin, you can't truly kill it; it find it's way onto the banners of kings and the crests of nobles, all who want power and are ambitious enough to take it will eventually kneel to it, or become like it whether they want it or not.

So, humans arrived on the continent 400ish years ago, having fled across the ocean from their homeland, where dragons were tyrant kings.

So far, there's been no dragons, dragonborn or dragon sorcerors. However, the next plot arc is going to be them attempting to bring down a military dictatorship, which is being manipulated by a dragonborn to open a portal and bring his masters to this land.

They're also going to meet the imprisoned spirit of a dragon very soon. If they free him by accident then their job is going to get significantly harder.

Dragons get stronger and progress through their age classes by amassing suitable amounts of worshippers. For this reason, most are fairly normal, while the First Dragon has become this mythic, almost god-like figure called the Hunger, who claws his way out of the earth every 20-25 years to devour anything in his way, before going back to sleep.

If humans saw a dragon they would shit themselves and unite all the city-states against it. The other races would be less terrified and less driven to destroy it as they don't have that racial fear.

many, as apex predators there arent like millions of them, but they do have enough to be part of the world

they arent "just" monsters, they are an important part of the ecosystem like any other creature inhabiting the world, some even visit civilization

people naturally fear the dragon, as they can go years between sightings, but no one can ever really be sure of a dragons intent as the legends tell of both good and evil dragons, and while they are wary of a greedy dragon killing them and hoarding their treasure, they also dont want to give a benevolent dragon the wrong idea

they are part of the ecosystem, one player in the web of life, contributing to the diversity and beauty of the world, that is special enough

eh, that's just poor handling of dragons. If your players ever fight a dragon that isn't at least adult and the dragon isn't applying a tried and true tactic of strafing run, your DM is a pushover.

The only reason you can employ juvenile dragons responsibly, is if you disturb a dragon's nest or have to protect them or something.

I think this has to do with how much stronger adventurers/ video game characters get through time. Anime-tier larger than life style combat is a lot more common nowadays. It used to be more about a (young and handsome) dude in armor on a horse confronting a dragon, not Conan and four of his reality bending friends gangbanging one.

>INSANELY autistic

Explain.

>The older a cow is, the more powerful it is.
That is not the case. Cows get old and die
In a lot of stories dragon's get old and bigger and more powerful, and don't die.

Even the biggest and greatest dragon from silmarillon first appeared young (and got stabbed by a dwarf) before truly growing into a powerful creature and fucking shit up (and get stabbed by a sister-fucker)

Dragons are a very diverse class of chordates that branched off of primitive reptiles and developed adaptations that make them able to survive in many habitats, but not as much as humans. They are distinguished from reptiles by the presence of 6 legs, extremely complex digestive systems that require a heavy and bloated body to carry, ability to digest or reject nearly any substance, and in some categories, the ability to vomit acid and/or heat their bodies.

Primitive dragons were dog-sized and resembled pic related, these split into two branches. The first branch grew taller and developed prehensile fingers and a thick tail so that they could stand on 4 legs and manipulate with two. They became the modern-day Hammak, the most advanced of dragons, with intelligence on par with humans. The second branch grew considerably larger and their main arms became massive for the purpose of bashing other dragons. With the ability to take on larger prey, their size quickly multiplied unlike the Hammak. These massive arms grew primitive wing-like structures to catch rain and to intimidate foes.

Of these greater dragons, there are two main varieties, the ground dragons and the flying dragons. Flying dragons are considerably smaller and weaker with less body mass devoted to vomit storage, but they are capable of lifting themselves off the ground and gliding from high distances, making homes in the mountains where ground dragons struggled. Some species of ground dragons dwarfed all other terrestrial life, but humans quickly thinned down dragon populations as dragons are socially disorganized, physically vulnerable, and need plentiful food, tearing down forests in their lifetimes.

Most human cultures never had to deal with dragons and have the misconception that big dragons can fly, and they tend to be unaware that dragons are capable of language and empathy. Usually dragons are only an issue for peasants in certain faraway regions.

My current setting... a decent handful. Most don't live to adulthood because dragon scales are valuable and dragons are vulnerable to artillery.

In my mythic fantasy setting... 2, 3 dozen? Most are just asleep at the bottom of an ocean trench or something. The handful that are really kicking around do things like usurp the mantles of gods. One dragon keeps the god of Camaraderie and Friendship as a footstool.

Glaurung was not the greatest; and he merely grew very slowly. Once he was fully grown, that was it.

A few hundred. They're very careful about maintaining a smaller population. There are also thousands of lesser dragons which aren't intelligent. Some of them are domesticated.

Generally, the reaction depends on the type of dragon. Elder dragons are serious shit, living nuclear reactors who, when veered, are fully capable of razing entire cities to ash. They're usually regarded as a major civilisation threat that requires dozens of adventurers to be gathered together to fight. The use of armies has been attempted in the past, and invariably leads to 95%+ mortality rates with no real damage to the dragon. A peasant seeing one would either be flattened by the mere presence of the creature, or lose his shit and flee for the nearest horizon.

From there, it goes down to the greater dragons, who could reasonably threaten a small town and would require several parties of adventurers to deal with, then adult or 'regular' dragons, then hatchlings.

I literally stole my dragons from Malazan Book of the Fallen

>Sun Dragons or Fire Dragons; basically just fire-breathing dragons, similar in size and appearance to the ones from Skyrim
>Frost Dragons; same as Sun Dragons, except they spit liquid not!Nitrogen instead of not!Napalm
>Storm Dragons; same as the other two dragons, except they appear ''scaleless'' because they have smoother skin made from smaller scales. Also they don't spit anything but can zap you like Pikachu
>Moon Dragons; ayylien dragons from the moon, come to earth to lay parasitic offspring. Got acid for blood.
>Star Dragons; eldritch dragons from beyond, indescribable and otherwordly, thus impossible to properly describe with words. No point even trying to figure out what they're like even.

>Even the biggest and greatest dragon from silmarillon first appeared young
>thinking Glaurung was the biggest
nah

Dragons in my setting were created by twin sister Goddesses of War as a means to win the big Godwar in the beginning of time. One made chromatic dragons, one made metallic, and they pretty much tore the universe a couple new holes.

Nowadays they're treated as Demigods, and afforded a lot of courtesies by various kingdoms. They still call in Adventurers to kill some, but usually only as a last resort.

I use Pathfinder, and I love dragons, so I have a ton.

At the top is the World Serpents Apsu and Tiamat who made the first gods and command great power. They forged the world and made the first gods, many who have died or disappeared. Their children are the various true dragons, the metallics, esoteric, imperial, outer (space/planes), chromatic, gem, primal, and possibly others as more bestiaries are released.

Then we have the lesser dragons: the linnorms, wyverns, and other assorted powerful dragon monsters of varying intelligence and power. Then we reach the Drakes which are generally no bigger than a warhorse and fill out roles within an ecosystem as large predators or herbivores. At the bottom is your pseudodragons, dragonets, draklets, and other assorted small dragon or dragon-like species.

On the humanoid side there are the dragonborn and kobolds. Dragonborn comprise one of the major factions of humanoid races, with an expansive empire vaguely based on melding of various Mesopotamian cultures. Kobolds can be found just about anywhere that isn't freezing cold or blistering hot, though the largest concentrations are within the Dragon Empire.

Dinosaurs I have co opted into being vaguely draconic, only sharing visual similarities with earth dinosaurs, so as to better fill out ecosystem needs and as interesting opponents.

bump

>dragons

>How many dragons you got in your setting
Around two dozen, give or take a few.

>monsters or god-like beasts?
Their kind was hunted down en-masse years ago. Any surviving dragons have already achieved "ancient wyrm" age. They remain very intelligent and cunning beasts, but a few of them have gone crazy (OCD, autism, etc. Nothing barbaric, unfortunately.)

>do they have a ecology?
Not really. About half of them live in secluded areas far from civilization, while the other half cautiously dabble in human/mortal affairs.

nope

Is this a joke? Did you not even read the post immediately preceding it one?

About 300 on the surface of the planet, with around two-thirds of them on one continent. A couple thousand in the hollow planet mirror world that can be found by taking the right paths underground.
Living natural disasters. I am fire, I am death, my wings are a hurricane, all that jazz.
About the same reaction someone would have if they suddenly saw a tornado about three minutes away from hitting them.
Not really.

They're secretly in charge of the mountain banking clan.

Nearly all Dragons end up on the same hibernation schedule, give or take a few decades. When these fuckers crash, they really go link dead so much so they slept right through the planet's Armageddon These hibernating Dragons can still be found, but Dragons as they hibernate not only take proactive measures to protect themselves, their bodies produce an extra layer of protection as they sleep as they basically petrify themselves as they sleep. Waking a Dragon is nearly impossible and no known modern method is known to reliably wake a Dragon.

But there are some Dragons who are not on the hibernation schedule of every other Dragon, and they rule their territories like warlords, hunting lone and grouped adventurers and bleeding armies until the Dragon can simply rampage through them. In my timeline, there is one notable blue dragon that lured the Sultan's army deep into his territory, then set his horde of kobolds to poison all the available water supplies, slash and burn all habitable vegetation, kill all wildlife in the area, and destroy all the bridges in the area as the dragon did hit and runs on the supply trains, eventually causing the army to fall into confusion and lose moral, finally fragmenting when the blue dragon finally struck the main body.

There are many, but most are degenerate spawn, which are little more than any other large beast.

The recently risen dragon-god intends to purify at least his own bloodline, or perhaps even improve on it.

Very few. Maybe none. I like the idea of placing my stories around the end of a mystic era where magic, heroics and monsters were common. That, and I originally based my setting quite heavily on Germanic myth and in those stories the appearance of a true dragon, such as Fafnir, is something very rare. These days I have started to draw more heavily from more exotic sources as well as creating large parts which, as far as I'm aware of, have no basis in anything other than my imagination.

Either way, dragons are rare. I suspect all the winged, fire-breathing ones may have long perished, other than maybe one or two weak specimen who would be dwarfish in comparison to their ancestors (even though people may still believe them to be fearsome beasts). Other than that the only dragon-like creatures one would be able to encounter would be drakes and worms (not to be confused with the great Drakes and Worms of old which were names sometimes used for dragons); small creatures similar to their greater relatives in shape but lacking the ability to think or communicate, being little more than simple beasts, and unable to breathe fire (though in some cases having a poisonous bite or the ability to spit poison). Though even these creatures would be a rare sight in the later days and would likely often be mistaken for true dragons when they were seen.

> How many dragons you got in your setting, Veeky Forums?
Right now? Zero. There are a number of eggs around, but none of them are going to hatch for forty or so years.

>There are half a dozen age categories for ten to fifteen different species of dragon.

I actually quite like it. It's literally called Dungeons and Dragons, would be silly if there was just one statblock for dragons. Doesn't have to mean dragons are common, but if you want to use a dragon, you can find a statblock that fits the bill. Want a wise sage who advices the party and maybe acts as a questgiver? Use a metallic dragon. Want a bossfight? Thanks to age categories it doesn't matter if the campaign is low-level or epic level, you can still find a dragon powerful enough to make the players go "oh, shit!" but not so powerful that it's automatic TPK.

It's called Dungeons and Dragons, not Dungeons and Cows.

Dragons fill a similar purpose to Angels and Demons in my setting. Their personalities are drawn and based upon the deity they serve. So while a Dragon in the service of the God of Hearth and Home will be kind but ferocious in the defence of his home, Dragons that are ruled by the Lord of the Seas can be differing dispositions too. Some are tameable and will direct the currents to bring shoals of fish towards fishing villages and others will bring about mighty storms that wreck fleets and can be heard far inland.

Typically a Dragon will make its allegiance known by its actions alone. Berzerking Dragons of the God of War are given a wide berth, but the more 'peaceful' Dragons tend to be Golden-scaled, typically there is little to fear should one of these be seen, to many it's a good omen. There isn't really an ecology or anything of a sort, Dragons are supernatural divine beings, though the God they represent can tint them towards wicked deeds and senseless actions. All Dragons can speak, though most typically do not learn the common tongue of folk, communicating in the scriptures of their deity's so that the faithful can understand. Of course, actions speak louder than word and when the Lord of the Four Winds makes his wrath known the Dragons will convey such a message in simpler terms.

There's a bunch, and the gods keep making more whenever they feel like it so they aren't in danger of going extinct via adventuers any time soon. They're the servants of Primal gods made and empowered to fulfill some purpose like guarding a sacred glade or spread some force of nature. The majority aren't anything special in the grand scheme of things with only a couple being important players in the world

My setting is a city that has been sealed off from the rest of reality by the Gods to act as a prison.
There's one adult dragon in the city, who's enslaved by an insane angry demigod.
Underneath the city is the dragon's egg clutch frozen in time. If the dragon were to return to them thousands of wyrmlings could be hatched.

Enough.

>Dungeons and Cows
I'd like to see that.

Had a setting where there was only one and it wasn't really known about. It was basically this ridiculously huge frost dragons that slept on the south pole, no-one really knew about it because no-one who went deep enough into not!antarctica died. Waking the dragon would likely be a catastrophic event, if it gave enough of a shit, given it was supposed to literally just look like mountains from a distance.

>Waking the dragon would likely be a catastrophic event

Like Second Impact?

While not responsible for every kind of malevolent or potentially malevolent creature, Dark is responsible for dragons, serpents, wurms and other such things. They are particularly potent manifestations of the Tyrant Godhead's worst servants, akin to Demons and Vampires as the most pure representation of the aimless hostility and will to dominate of the master of the cosmos.

The far northern rim of the planet is just fucking crawling with them. There's wretched wurms spontaneously manifesting out of the ooze and soil, shadows in the air solidify into great whooshing wings with trail-like tails, caved in pits in the earth are literally hip deep in serpents. Down south in the rest of the world they form in deep, deep caverns and ocean floors, crawling and swimming up to the surface. They're pretty rare down there, the big ones, but smaller, vile things are known to crop up in desolate places and are the right kind of thing peasants and farmers would flee from, as dragons breathe searing smoke and poisonous fumes and leave toxic trails in their wake. It takes concerted effort to kill them and can be a pretty big deal, depending on the size.

They're animalistic and violent, particularly cruel and can vary in appearance from mighty and terrible winged reptiles to bloated skittering toad monsters. Many medieval depictions of dragons apply here.

Visit Switzerland.

Nobody knows what their natural lifespan is supposed to be, just that none have ever died unless it was murder or suicide.
Kinda? It is the lore I use for my setting but it's not really meant to be taken too seriously. I get that it's weird and dumb, but I'm not exactly writing the setting to be a grim realistic space opera.

There's lots of 'em but you don't see them very often. The Truce has kept peace between human and dragon for three thousand years and more, but once the dragons ruled over men with brutality and terror.

Now they live on islands far from human settlements.

In my setting they are creatures of the past, extint millions of years ago. They lived alongside dinosaurs, in fact, they are a special, stronger kind of dinosaur. There is still their skeletons scattered around, sometimes some wizard try to resurrect them and such.

Dragon's were originally the divine police, but now that god is missing they're major players for filling the power vacuum/carving out their own little empires

There's a couple of the older ones asleep on their home world, which is accessible through two small portals on the !campaignworld. Of course, getting to them is nearly impossible - they annihilated their homeworld with magic thermonuclear war and the survivors went to sleep.

There's one smaller one deep in the Kobold jungles, but it's really, really small. Like, half a metre long. Dragons are formed by a shitload of kobolds melding together like the world's grossest caterpillar and they end up stupidly dense - it weighs like two hundred kilos and is 30cm long. It spends its time in the party wagon - they think it's some sort of bizarre, over friendly familiar.

>Midgardsormr arrived on the planet
Where from?