WIP: Work in Progress General

Post stuff, you hacks.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
>Currently Offline

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Grimdank/comments/5ru5ge/on_tuesday_february_7th_at_9pm_gmt_our_spiritual/?sort=confidence
youtu.be/rlVIz9EKfk0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Posting the PS an user did of Roboute when I said it could be converted into the Emperor.

Also reposting link another user found about a soon to be AMA with Duncan. Set an alarm guys.

reddit.com/r/Grimdank/comments/5ru5ge/on_tuesday_february_7th_at_9pm_gmt_our_spiritual/?sort=confidence

>he's doing it in the sub meant for memes
why?

looks like a mexican grandma

I think I'm using the Master's Brush Soap wrong.

It gets most of the paint out of the hairs, but a small amount of color stays, and hours after I rinse the soap out, the hairs kinda get like... solid? This lasts until they touch water and then they're fine.

>tfw huge backlog
>several hundred models, many of which are very large
>just took a ~30 model commission from a friend cause I needed the money
Mistakes have been made.

No wonder Trump wants to build a wall if mexican grandmas are golden giant wielding flaming swords.

youtu.be/rlVIz9EKfk0

>unironically using meme soap

Oh I've been using this shit completely wrong.

I've been abusing my poor brushes.

Idk whats worse, a small backlog of stuff you cant bring yourself to paint(me) or a huge backlog and buying more.

I just really hate these Crisis suits. I wish i had known they were redoing the sculpt when i started. I dont even WANT crisis suits, I'd rather just make Knarlocs or just have Broadsides):

>or a huge backlog and buying more.

This is my problem.

>Be in class, thinking about models
>Next thing I know I'm at the LGS buying another fucking box
>I get home and put it in my closet
>There's currently 22 boxes in there
>I don't even have a job, I just use my loan refunds
I hate myself.

All modelers have a huge backlog. It comes with the territory.

What have you got in your backlog, user?

Basically my entire guard army.

I'm not a very good painter, so I kinda get turned off once I actually look at the boxes.

I'm a moron, really.

Because Duncan is, dare I say it, /ourguy/

Tell me about it friendo. My problem is tanks. I love the Imperial Guard thematically because they're how I really got into the setting through Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain and shit, and they'll always be my favourite faction even if I collect others, but the actual process of ASSEMBLING vehicles is really draining for me, even with the simple instructions.

I just get bored and end up ebaying some fucker's old stuff, then soaking it in dettol for a week and redoing it in my scheme.

I have a paint scheme now (except I can't figure the highlight for the flak armor. Base Steel Legion Drab, Agrax wash, Tallarn Sand layer, then ????), and am doing my Command Squad in sub-assembly mode to at least try and get some of them done.

My first greenstuff project turned out surprisingly well so I've jumped into a new one while I wait for paints to arrive, a Nurgle daemon prince. A fair bit more details and layers to go.

Trying to decide which way to go with the head, will probably scratch build something. Some googling for ideas turned up a really similar conversion that used a Tyranid head as a base and looked great, so that's an option.

Would Ushabti work? It's got that sort of creamy, off-beige tinge. You might want something more yellowy, though. I'll have a think.

Ushabti might work.

And for the fatigues, I'm doing The Fang -> Nuln Oil -> Russ Grey layer -> Ulthuan Grey highlight.

that's not half bad actually

Well i suppose i jaded myself by having two piles. 'Backlog' which is my army(tau, converted auxiliaries), or stuff i plan out then never finish, and 'bonus' which is MKIII marines, CSM, and half an old dark vengeance DA set

I'm taking the Heralds Anarchic which consist of 9 heralds of Tzeentch. Would it be legal to use these guys as my Heralds? Moon Man herald is real shitty.

That's gonna be interesting. I woulda thought to do drab fatigues and steely-greyish armour, but that's kind of predictable, right? So I imagine the inverse is going to be very eyecatching. It's promising you have a clear idea of all the paints you'll need before you begin, too.

My guys are kitbashed Catachans themed around a recon regiment so obviously murky browns and greys predominate. I'm trying to get it so the colours really pop against certain backgrounds but blend in to certain types of terrain.

>Would it be legal to use these guys as my Heralds?
sure? they're the right size and look like wizardy daemon dudes

>Moon Man herald is real shitty.
fuck off he's a national treasure

Yeah, I'm doing it in the inverse because I'm doing toxic swamp bases and I like how the scheme looks on them, plus the scheme gives a nice contrast to all the fucking RED at my store.

Okay next question, if I have necromunda models that I recast myself are they legal to use anywhere? Want to make myself these for my rapier laser crews but I'll be modifying classic FW renegades for zombies.

>if I have necromunda models that I recast myself are they legal to use anywhere?
technically not kosher, but they're out of production, so do whatever you want

Thing with recasted stuff is no one will throw a fit or likely even notice if you just go and play with it.

Going to use this as my HQ, count as "Ordnance Tyrant" and I figure this fits just perfectly.

Even in tournaments?

Pretty darn good, mate.

personally I would use a mix of the Rotfly head with the long "schlong" in his face, and add Antlers to it.

I know of the tyranid headed-one, but to be honest, I like yours better so far, and I think you could probably cook something up that looks better.
Keep us posted.

Even in tournaments. Just don't go HEY ORGANIZER MY ENTIRE ARMY IS RECASTED AND I WILL LIKELY NEVER SUPPORT YOUR STORE FINANCIALLY OUTSIDE OF TOKEN PURCHASES IS THAT COOL?

Shit, it's rare that anyone will even touch your models.

No I'm talking like Ardboyz, 11th Company etc
I made a list that I don't think can be beaten

Still probably fine, as I said people don't usually touch other people's models, which is the only way you'd ever be able to tell if a metal model is recasted.

Thanks.

Thank you. Yeah I was thinking of using the proboscis head as a base but I want to have a human element to it so may just wing it. Will have a go tomorrow.

Just shipped these two out in just under an hour for my dad's Hail Caesar Gaul army.

tfw youll never be a fa/tg/uy with your dad

The worse is being fucking broke, my friend

If someone picked them up and asked why they're resin what could I say? That I recasted them myself? I was under the assumption it's okay to have something you cast yourself as long as it's OOP but people may see a recasted non GW/FW unit as "non existent"

A little highlight on the gold would do it wonders. Love it anyways.

>If someone picked them up and asked why they're resin what could I say?
just say you didn't want to take a knife to classic models

>currently broke
>working through my backlog

It's not so bad.

This looks great, but it needs more tentacles

Thats the thing. I am broke.
Half the reason i dont want to paint crisis, is because i need new paints.

Step 1: Don't say anything up front
Step 2: If someone does pick you up on it, pick a story:
>I bought them on ebay and when they arrived it turned out they weren't metal :(

You might get some shit for it, but no fucker is going to demand proof of purchase. If they tell you to fuck off after that, tough luck but that's a risk you take by playing recasts in an official environment.

Yeah, that's a good suggestion. Maybe if I have the originals painted and done up there just for confirmation that I have the originals and just don't want to fuck up the paintjobs?

>getting some nice progress done on my guardsmen
>realize i forgot to buy paints for skin
god DAMN it
every time

something like that would probably be enough, yeah

but really, just don't advertise that you recast stuff and people ain't gonna care

can't imagine being broke and still committing to an expensive hobby. Usually found a way to make it pay for itself with commissions but would never buy anything without being in the green.

To be fair I'll have close to half of what I need in my army AS ORIGINALS if that would be a better idea. 50% real, 50% recast by myself?

>place 1st in tourney, or high in GT (not saying I'll ever place 1st in a GT)
>word spreads from someone I stomped that I have recasts in my army
wat do

>tfw so broke that you always follow the threads and painting tutorials but you are not even in the hobby

I like them pretty miniatures alright

I make myself lists and everything, double check, and I STILL come back from the hobby store either missing a pot or three I planned to buy or with a color I already have a full pot of. I'm a terrible shopper

nothing? it's a warhammer tournament, dude

people don't care that much

Started when I still had disposable income, waiting for new job to start later in the year but until then I don't have the moneys for new models. Situations change, user.

Okay. Thanks alot for you input.

Could go the Berserk route and put a human face on it.

I should go buy the paints for skin, but knowing my stupid ass, I'll come home with like, Betrayal at Calth too.

So question for the re/casters: what kind of resin do you use for your casts or recasts? I have polyurethane but it doesn't seem to take paint well or at all - it flakes off almost immediately when I handle it. I don't know if this is because of the polyurethane itself or something I haven't done to clean it up. Suggestions?

have you remembered to use primer before putting on any other paint ?

Do you spray your molds with release agent?

Are you using mould release? Are you washing them off in soapy water? I use urethane as well, from Smooth-On

No, I don't have a LGS so don't have access to the primers everybody else uses. I hear of people using regular rattlecan primer but haven't gotten it myself - is it worth it / will it work?

Only when making the mold, not when molding parts. I'll rub it down with some alcohol to make sure there's no residue, though.

See above. No, will give them a bath then. I'm using Oomoo 30 and Smooth-Cast 300.

So.. You're not priming?
If you have Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart near you get these. You can also have sprays shipped.

>Oh hey, nice models, user! Oh, why are they resin?
>Oh, I recast all of my metal minis to keep them from toppling over all the time and getting damaged.
>AARGH WHY DONT YOU SUPPORT THE HOBBY GW MAKES ALL THIS SHITTY BROKEN GAME FOR YOU OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS SO YOU NEED TO BUY 800 BILLION DOLL HAIRS WORTH OF PLASTIC FROM THEM TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION
>Chill the fuck out, bro. I recast them myself, which means I already paid money for the originals. Besides, it's not like GW or the FLGS would be making any money off my purchase of used models, anyway. You might as well ban the resale of minis outright if that's the way you think.

All I got at the moment. Will grab some next time I'm at the store if this doesn't work since it's made for metal, then.

finished his base now, too. I quite like it.

Are your models rusty metal? Not sure how you thought this could work.
and what's the deal with the toe finger

also been doing a little more work on my Daemon Prince. The "head" in his head is supposed to be how he was before nurgle. Think a little bit like some of the Apostles from Berserk.

I'm also wondering if I should use the Clawed hand from the Maggoth Lord and replace one fist with it. Thoughts?

random, quick question:

is having warm water bad for thinning paint, or does it not matter aside from ice water/boiling?

Like I said, all I got right now; I don't think it'll work but if it does, great. Finger's because of a weird camera angle and grip.

so youre.. meant to let some soap dry on the brush?

"Oi, fuck of mate!"

He just has that expression... Nice work so far!

Just got this as a gift from a friend, he made it himself.

It's not mine, just photoshopped him armless except to have the ability to give a thumbs up as thanks

That's really cool.

Nice Hyrule symbol

Is there anyway to reliably apply washes to large, flat surfaces like a Rhino hull using brushes or are my tanks doomed to look like shit until I get an air brush?

Why are your friends giving you nazi eagles.

Super nazi eagles, with two heads. And no swastikas.

Or... just a opinion, you could just use REGULAR GOOD`OL FUCKING SOAP!
Man we "hobbyists" really get to nerdy when it comes down to it don't we? Hell, he´s even going through this with regular GW brushes. I could understand if your a registered artist, working with brushes worth of hundreds of dollars. But this is like... Insanity! I have used my old GW brushes for years on end, by simply washing them with liquid dish wash and water.
After, id I want to keep a good edge to the brush, I use saliva (yea you heard me!), that stiffens the brush and keeps the bristles in place until the next session.

But sure, don't mind me, I have only a good 20+ yeas in to the hobby, what would I know?!? Hell, I even remember when you used make-up as weathering powder, and actual hairspray for the hairspray technique!

Water it down alot, apply a bunch of layers to dirty up areas inbetween plain and highlighted areas. It's called glazing.

only use the wash in the recesses/around details like rivets

>what kind of resin do you use for your casts or recasts?

I used Alumilite AlumiRes RC-3 Casting Resin for the Johnny on the right. Still getting the hang of not working in pewter.

>Are my tank doomed to look like shit until I get an airbrush?

No, first of, what are you looking for here?
If you wash all that flat surface, of course you need to re-apply the base coat again?!? Have you learned nothing during your time in this hobby?
So, basic 101, paint base, wash, re-paint. Got that? Then its time for highlights, and this can be applied in stages, wetblends, edges and so forth. Depending on the time you want to spend, you will also get the quality out of it. And airbrush will do the blending part really well, but its not impossible to make look good with a brush, it just takes more time.
Alternative take, you paint it all, with highlights and all (this is usually done with an airbrush), then you gloss it, and then you use oil wash to get to those corners. Because remember, thats what you want with a wash, the hard corners. The rest is what blending is there fore.
Take three, you paint everything up to 11, then bring it down with a wash, wont look as good though on a big as rhino.

All in all, what I'm trying to say is this. Learn the fucking basics before you move on. Don't get a expensive tool you cant handle before you even know the basics of laying down a wash.

I'm having the same problem with my gold on my khorne. I tried to thin it but it's still THICC AF

that was me for years. only recently started actually buying and painting minis. it really helped starting with a lot of background knowledge. i had a much better idea of things to avoid or remember to do. i think my painting journey was partially accelerated by this, not that i'm any good (pic related).

See, I know all of that, but my paint scheme is composed primarily of washes. Much like how some people paint their Alpha Legion with glazes. If I were doing a different scheme, I'd be doing recess washing.

Hey don't put yourself down too much user, those are pretty good for a newcomer to the hobby. I like the sept markings the blue and orange go really well

This Vallejo Surface Primer being brushed on is a god send, but holy hell does it fuck up the brush I use for it.

At least you picked god tier Sa'cea. If you're going to be a faggot Tau player at least you do it right unlike people who pick lame septs or don't even paint.

Weird. Just wash your brush thoroughly, I didn't get any problems.

I have been, but I think my stupid ass waited too long once, because part of it has been permanently stained black.

>paint something that isn't for my ultramarines
>GW drops plastic guilliman
[muffled screeching]

Anyways, next three space dudes in various states of incompleteness. Is the white scheme on the leader too much? Threw the red stripes on to break the space up a bit, but I'm just kinda winging it.

>Sa'cea

Greater Good tier.

Just gotta drop these two:

>Just gotta drop these two:
I wish you didn't. I hate that fucking guide. In every thread, the best pictures are the ones that don't follow that guide, and the worst pictures are the ones that do. Shit's fucking worthless.

I mean seriously, look at this: You can't even see the detail. Why? Because the mini is drowned out by the white light and white background. I guarantee you if you took that picture against a natural background with natural light it would look better. But they think they're doing it right because someone posts that stupid guide every single thread and as a result the quality of our photography goes down and down and down.