A friend of mine and I came up with something that I found comfy as hell:

A friend of mine and I came up with something that I found comfy as hell:

>An FLGS in a modern fantasy setting done by Kui Ryoko.
>The store is huge, large enough to accommodate hundreds if not thousands of players, including dragons and giants.
>enough private rooms that you have quite a few games going on at any given time.
>The Elf group that started a Rolemaster campaign a decade ago is finally ready for their firs session tonight.
>GURPS groups are easy to find, but a lot of the players tend to be gnomes and dwarves.
>The Rakshasa and the gold dragon continue their wargaming campaign. They've been close friends for years.

The idea is a series that focuses on various gaming groups and their social dynamics, going through several stories, from the FLGS romance of the shy elfgirl to the sadness of a long-lived group that's persisted for 40 years losing their only human player.

I'm honestly thinking of writefagging something for this. What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DrHkLv2414o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Let's see some writing first, then we might be impressed.

Though honestly, Kui Ryoko could create a Warhammer 40k manga and it'd still probably be one of the most comfy things imaginable.

>The Elf group that started a Rolemaster campaign a decade ago is finally ready for their firs session tonight.
youtube.com/watch?v=DrHkLv2414o

It's not modern fantasy if everyone knows about magic and other races.
Don't make me angry.

Ah, perhaps Urbanized Fantasy then?

It'll take me a while to get something ready. Probably about a day or so?

What kind of army would a Rakshasa field in 40k?

They're playing CHAINMAIL, obviously. They're probably even using the LBBs to simulate raising funds from the ruins.

Isn't that typically "urban fantasy", in that most fantasy happens at the urban level as opposed to being relevant to "modern" life where the magic elements are more integrated to the world?

>Gold Dragon playing Oldest-School Wargame.

That is pretty damn cozy right there.

>Oldest-School
Just mentioned it for the reference potential.
CHAINMAIL is not old by wargaming standards.
It's not good by wargaming standards, either.

Yeah, but can you imagine what kind of grognard opinions dragons would have on systems? I mean, you'd have ones that spend years evaluating hundreds of different systems before deciding on one they prefer, or you'd have ones that go with the first one they try and stick to that one for centuries. Hell, you could probably develop the entire chromatic and metallic dragon spectrum based on their opinions on games, systems, and editions.

Worse, can you imagine them aeguind about:

1. Old games they had together from long ago

2. Old games that have been lost to history and no one but them remembers

3. Games whose manufacturers have long since left and they are stuck with minis and rulesets no one else plays

Let me unthink those thoughts.

Yeah but that could be interesting too. They could start some kind of cult following if someone else picks up their ancient game and it gets popular within the store. That ancient game suddenly comes back and becomes something akin to Traveller.

>The gnomes and the dwarves start casting miniatures for the groups.
>the dragons and wizards ponder over the rulesets and make a new edition for balance and fun.
>there are no dead games in this world.

Gnomes would carve the initial models.

Dwarves would create the casts and mass-produce them, as well as develop kits and pieces.

Both would share an entire room in the store dedicated to painting and setting up their armies. It'd be a physical manifestation of a WIP thread.

>no dead game systems
Obviously. The wizard is a necromancer.

It's not quite the stupidest shit I ever read on Veeky Forums, but it's close.

blep

CAT-achan IG though Dark Eldar if we're being serious

>Games whose manufacturers have long since left and they are stuck with minis and rulesets no one else plays
As someone who has a giant hoard of old unpainted metal items, I sympathise.

Big problem is that as a dragon he has to sleep on his hoard of miniatures - the shift from more robust pewter to fragile plastic was kinda traumatic.

Yeah, "Urban fantasy" is confusingly a masquerade setting in the modern world while "Modern Fantasy" is Fantasy in a modern urbanised setting.

and it's all D20 Modern's fault!

Now the question, who is the owner of the place?

You know what? Minor demigod of games, chancr, and mirth, serves under the goddess Lady Luck. The whole place looks like a large inn, is decorated like a Game store, but is technically a temple to the Dice Gods.

He's probably the best store owner you want to meet. It's always in his best interests to make sure everyone has a good time.

>"Urban fantasy" is confusingly a masquerade setting in the modern world
Nah, yo. Ravnica was urban fantasy.

>"Modern Fantasy" is Fantasy in a modern urbanised setting.
It's a very broad term. Modern fantasy is any fantasy where the trappings of modern life are not anachronism. Urban fantasy often falls under this umbrella (urban fantasy is literally just fantasy based in an urban environment). Sometimes it involves a masquerade, and sometimes it doesn't.

Genres are not exclusive, y'all.

Then would the Dragon field Imperium, or would they go 'nids?

I actually really like this. It's "what kind of players would they be," not another Stat Me.

>GM styles

Fey/Fairy: inject a lot of Prose and riddles into their games, tend to be pretty light-hearted... until things go to shit.

Dragons: illustrious stories and lengthy histories and worldbuilding, very Lore Rich, and they all tend to hand out a lot of gold and treasure.

Orcs: Orcs are bros, and can be some of the best, most easy going GM's who want to have fun, but also some of the most impatient or rude GM's.

Elves: expect you to come in having already read most of the system books. Take a lot of time to prep for campaigns, but are par for the course in terms of quality.

Halflings: love NobleBright settings, cozy scenes, and good food. Always bring the snacks. Will take a break during sessions to serve up home-cooked meals.

Dwarves: focus a lot on economy, industry, and trade in their settings.

It would be ten times worse arguing historical wargaming with a dragon who was alive for it. That even if they weren't at the battle, they're a nerd about it.

I think the best arguments would be between dragons and historians.
"And it was at that point that Casear's left flank broke an-"
"THAT'S NOT HOW IT HAPPENED."
"Existing records are rather cle-"
"I WAS THERE."
"You were burning and looting the nearby village, you w-"
"YES, I WAS THERE, THIS IS FIRST HAND."
"You were NOT PAYING ATTENTION!"
"I CAN MULTITASK."
"THEN EXPLAIN WHY EVERY WRITTEN DOCUMENT CONTRADICTS YOU!"
"ARE YOU QUESTIONING A DRAGON?"

Succubi/Incubi: actually run less ERP than you'd think, but tend to focus on character interactions and relationship developments. Tend to play matchmaker with their players, hooking them up with other people in the store.

>An FLGS in a modern fantasy setting done by Kui Ryoko.
>Kui Ryoko

>TFW you will never play Kill Team against your Orc Buddy who favors the Blood Ravens.

Writing incoming if anyone is still interested.

yay!

Sorry, it'll be an hour or so. My network in my shitty apartment just died (again) so I'm phone-posting now. In the meantime, anyone want to flesh this store out more?

I think the comphy angle is that succubi/incubi aren't demons at all and have just gotten a bad rap. Veeky Forums loves them way too much for them to be actual demons.

But maybe I'm looking at this wrong, because it seems like you would see a lot of "evil" monsters in this setting, just hanging out looking for somebody who plays their game, and that's part of the charm.

We could get weird with it... like, "Centaur's Worries" weird. The "Evil" races just had different cultures at different periods of time, and have that history, but are really no different than humans in terms of morality. Like Mongols and the Huns.

It sort of strikes me as a "Good, bad, everybody's here for their hobby, and they all respect it too much to cheat." type world (also nobody the owner has kicked out for breaking the rules is ever seen again).

Of course, if what says is canon, you're basically fighting in a temple of luck gods. You do not fuck with the luck gods, especially if you're into Traditional Games.

Though I actually think it should be a cleric, not a demigod. More homey.

You're thinking of urban fantasy, nimrod.

Sorry guys, web is down in my apartment for at least tonight. I'll try and post sometime tomorrow if this thread is still up, and maybe in a new thread if it dies entirely.

The economics of this situation is more fantastic than the characters.

I take it that you've never worked in a game store.

I've got a pretty good idea. Game Stores are either run by rich people who have money to burn and wanted to create a public hangout for themselves, chains, or guys who invested everything into it as their hobby and this is their life now, struggling to make ends meet and getting rightfully pissed when Marvel gives them "free" copies of their comics but makes them pay the shipping(yes this is a thing)

A store this massive and able to accommodate everyone has got to be raking in the dough somehow, which is firmly out of the grounds of reality.

Of course, since this is a fantasy setting, there's a little wiggle room. Why does the presence of fantasy races and magic suddenly make Traditional Games a lucrative business? Or why would this store be so popular if that's not the case? It could be that it's a temple to a Luck Deity. This is the kind of thing that makes it worth looking into. What's the culture like that this is a thing?

Could be that the races just tend to be older given how long many are supposed to live, having ages where board games were one of the main ways to spend time when work was infeasible. They just kept the hobby with them into the age of computers as their method of passing the time, even if they may have updated what they play.