Doesn't the whole returning of primarchs thing go completely against the underlining theme of stagnancy and decay...

Doesn't the whole returning of primarchs thing go completely against the underlining theme of stagnancy and decay within the 40k universe? I'm certainly not complaining, but now that things are suddenly seeming to be hopeful with a small chance of humanity actually not perishing, it gives the "grim darkness of the future" a far different tone when humans now have an actual demi-god leading them...

Yes. Advancing the plot of a setting is also tarded. It should be about the stories within the universe, not about the universe's story.

That makes no sense.

Yeah it goes against the established trends. The reason being the established trends got stale and don't sell as well as investors would like to.
Essentially GW, is repeating what they did with Warhammer Fantasy - rapid development followed by narrative scrapping of the setting and a complete reboot with stronger focus on younger audience.

Read any of the 40k novels, or even the side bars and little histories in the codices.They don't impact the whole setting, but they're all engaging narratives set in it. 40k is good because of the possibility for those narratives. Advancing the whole setting gets rid of that and misses the point.

>Doesn't the whole returning of primarchs thing go completely against the underlining theme of stagnancy and decay within the 40k universe?
Yep they refocusing 40k from grim and darkness future into more family-friendly.

Take it as a sign of closing death of the grim, dark hammer of the 40K and beginning of the AoS40K.
And rejoice, for GW will finally fuck off and stop polluting the setting with it's bullshit.

not necessarily, i mean the gathering storm will probably end in a way that the imperium has achance, but primarchs returning doesn't at all mean Imperium stands a chance,especially considering chaos primarchs are returning as well.

Pretty much. The new setting direction is clearly to buff up the Imperium after the loss of Cadia. Make the regime more benevolent and such.

There's only so much of nothing mattering one can take before you lose interest.

These men are nihilists Donnie, they aren't a threat

Stagnancy and decay tends to shrink the universe and reduce the amount of cool shit you can put in it in terms of new units/factions/events.

The Darkness and the forces who fight it should have some occassional parity. Especially given that in 40k there are no real good factions to begin with.

As long as things get epic I don't mind myself. But there should totally be references to alternate universes where Chaos won like in that Ultramarines book with Uriel Ventris where he briefly sees Chaos dominated galaxies and shit when travelling the warp.

>40k there are no real good factions
>what is Ultramarines

The Primarch who got rekt by a non astartes? Good? lol

To be fair the only people growing here are the Imperium. The Eldar just net shrunk losing the most major craftworld and webway city

So 'decay' is pretty much still the theme for everyone who isn't the Imperium or Chaos

Also the return of Girlyman means we're clealry about to get our purity sue good guy faction

They gained a literal god though.

I do think this, but I considered the following:

This is giving us another era to play in. We can now play in the Horus Heresy, the 10,000 year long Age of the Imperium, and The Gathering Storm.

For example the Dark Heresy game I play in is set long before the 13th even started showing possibilities of starting. Many things in 40k are.

We aren't restricted to the latest point in time of the lore. If we were, no-one would play Armageddon campaigns, no-one would re-enact the Battle of Macragge, the Fall of Damnos, the Taros campaign, and a thousand other wars both canon and fan-written.

If you feel like the usual style of setting is dying, you're missing the point. It isn't dying any more than 30k is dead because 40k exists. We're just seeing what happens next.

Biel-tan didn't get destroyed and they got a literal God out of the event. That's a good trade. Imperium lost Cadia and got a primarch. That's a shitty trade. A superhuman doesn't really add much on a planetary scale and Cadia was the last blockade before Terra.

>Good?
Noblebright progressive paladins.

>A God who had less poer and influence than a Primarch, who's only contributions to the plot are saving a Primarch
To be fair all Ynnead has done so far is wipe out the two biggest Eldar factions. I'd rather not have a God like that but a Primarch who whoops Chaos' ass.

Did you guys read Fall of Cadia? Shit was grimdark as fuck.

Dude Roboute is way better than Ynnead. We already know that Roboute's gonna save Ultramar and Terra, beating Abby.

What does Ynnead do? Kills Commorragh and Biel-tan, Ynnead doesn't beat a single important Chaos force.

What the fuck are you smoking, Primarch's way more useful that some lameass God, Ynnead's even being upstaged in the actual fluff, Guilliman's the hope in the darkness when things start going right, all Ynnead does is team kill and then resurrect Guilliman. Lol's the Eldar's biggest contribution to the plot is buffing Ultramarines.

I'm not opposed to the Primarchs returning, but I wish their models were a little less... ostentatious. There's a clean elegance to the FW primarchs that the new GW one lacks.

True, and this is something the various games in the setting have taken advantage of for a while (Only War, for example, takes place before the third war for Armageddon).

>There's a clean elegance to the FW primarchs that the new GW one lacks.

You can say that about anything they both make.

I remember that the decision to focus on the various captains and chapter masters instead of the primarchs and gods was to reinforce the tone of the setting being about after the various golden ages and each story being small compared to what is the setting as a whole.

times changed.

That's the first angle I've seen of that model that makes it look less than atrocious. Still definitely not to my tastes though, for the same reason you mentioned (as well as looking like an action figure).

IDK, I actually think GW knocked it out of the park with the plastic Thousand Sons (apart from Magnus, who looks a bit too toy-like for me). They made them elaborate, but without it being overwhelming like nu-Gorillaman.

That's true. They still do decent rank and file guys, and the Ad Mech stuff works because they're busy in the right way, but a lot of things have just been really hit or miss recently. They're trying to be too ostentatious.

He got wrecked by Daemonic Fulgrim.

Blizzard did it, it works for a while (until you changed the setting so much that whay people likes about it is gone). It was an obvious move after the popularity of HH

Look GW is desperately trying to say they aren't destroying 40K. This is because of how much of a shitshow Age of Shitmar was. This horseshit is going to end in one of 3 ways.

A) 40K ends because Rawbutt Girlyman fixes everything via the power of "JUST DO IT!" He is totally capable of that afterall he did organize the Imperium originally and he can reorganize it again, this time fixing EVERYTHING.

B) 40K ends because GW, in a retarded attempt at plot advancement, has to do something to obliterate the Imperium so Rawbutt doesn't just fix everything. Like killing the Emperor or some such stupid shit like that.

C) This entire advancement of the plot is a farce to sell more models (this is probably the most likely thing to happen), because they will pretend to advance the plot but at the end of this "Coming Storm" things will be VERY similar to how they were before, a few factions have different names or are slightly reduced in strength (via asspulls) but the setting is still 40K to the core. This makes all of this hullabaloo fucking pointless.

Pick your poison.

I love how spergs are still mad about aos

Age of Emperor

I thought they werent stupid enough :(

Wrong, it creates a chance to tell whole new stories in a different narrative.

>30.000 years
>more than a million worlds
>nothing mattering

Going by that claim, Deff Skwadron is shit because it takes place on planet bumfuck IV, in a war between two minor warlords and is completely irrelevant to the main storyline.

You can make good stories without involving the big guys. In fact I'd say it's better when you do so, because it prevents the dozen contradictory interpretations and retcons we have nowadays. Like, this is the second 13th black Crusade, I don't have much excitement and faith that it will be set in stone forever.

And anyways, the primarchs' power-levels mean that they fit better in Epic than in 40k.

What's next, Gork and Mork in Kill Team ?

>Shit was grimdark as fuck.
It was stupid as fuck

Grimdark and stupid go hand-in-hand.

short answer

>go hand-in-hand.
Nope, grimdark exist in details, Fall of Cadia had lack of details and was ver poorly written

That's stupid.

1. There's over 10,000 years of lore to fill the gaps in with, so even if some crazy shit goes down at the end you have plenty of space to create new stories.

2. The galaxy is fuck-heug, so short of the Universe outright ending or a major faction outright ceasing to exist, what happens on one end of the galaxy will hardly have an effect on what goes on the other side. The people fighting on Armageddon don't give a single fuck about Cadia falling or Guilliman coming back.

The arguments for non-advancement of the setting have always been pathetic.

No. Annihilation Squad was the most grimdark piece of 40k fluff I've read, and it's wasn't one bit stupid or over the top.
The Redeemer comic, on the other hand, is so gung ho that I wouldn't dare call it grimdark, despite the world-ending threats, extreme levels of xenophoby and genocide, and absence of good guys.

>a far different tone when humans now have an actual demi-god leading them...

Kinda ruins the whole "your dudes" thing, doesn't it? Hard to feel like your personal/favourite marine chapter is of much important now that the Ultramarines get their own super marine god.

Well, they did leave open two Primarch slots so you can have your own Primarchs too.

>WH40K
>Not anymore so grimdark
>The future will be noblebright

One can dream...

What is the lead pipe bayonet under the heavy bolter supposed to be?

If there's over 10,000 years of lore to fill the gaps in with, what's the point in making some crazy shit go down at the end?
Stability is a big point for GAME settings, barring some exceptions, and 40k is still a game first. Those changes affect the narratives of all armies involved, and restrict player agenda.

Also
>implying things like Ynnead doesn't have consequences everywhere.

Maybe a igniter for a combi flamer?

We are no longer in Thatcher era, mate.
Get over it.
You wanker.

>Thatcher era,
Yeah, Thatcher saved UK, May ruined it, thematic of hope and salvation more actual now.

Short Answer: Yes. This is the biggest change in tone since 3rd.

>Stagnancy and decay tends to shrink the universe and reduce the amount of cool shit you can put in it in terms of new units/factions/events.
I don't think the 40k universe has felt as small as it does now. It's more the story of a few men, and less a wide galaxy for your stories than it was before. Like says, your dudes are squashed to the corners.

But whether it's because they kill the setting or, advance it beyond what it was, it's still going to mean the setting we know will lose support, and slowly die.

I feel like there's a Slaaneshi daemon prince in the making with that model.

Also wrong answer.

>1. There's over 10,000 years of lore to fill the gaps in with, so even if some crazy shit goes down at the end you have plenty of space to create new stories.
One less planet than before, and a planet where a lot of stories were set to happen.

>The galaxy is fuck-heug, so short of the Universe outright ending or a major faction outright ceasing to exist, what happens on one end of the galaxy will hardly have an effect on what goes on the other side. The people fighting on Armageddon don't give a single fuck about Cadia falling or Guilliman coming back.
And yet GW requires every event have galactic consequences. Returning gods and primarchs, new factions that somehow are more able to effect the galaxy than those before them.

>The arguments for non-advancement of the setting have always been pathetic.
How about the fact that GW's current writers will cock it up and are better off leaving what was made by their betters alone?

Ynnead's only consequence is bringing back Roboute, it literally does nothing else.

It also gets rid of Slaanesh.

No it doesn't. It gets rid of Biel-Tan and Commorraggh, read idiot

Wait a minute here...
Why did they kill off slaanesh? I mean, that was probably a decision taken at top level. What will now happen with all the people having a slaanesh army?

Slaanesh isn't dead, Ynnead isn't strong enough to do it, that's why they have to go bring back Roboute to do it for them.

>What will now happen with all the people having a slaanesh army?
Nothing.

Wouldn't it be funny if Guilliman got completely annihilated by a new or existing villain, just to establish that villain's threat level?

>Primarch in 40k losing
Not gonna happen

GW's has already established Roboute's bigger than a God and he's gonna hand Chaos its ass too

Nh it's Emperor role in event.

But they already established that Abaddon is also bigger than god.

Not really.

Yes, really. Celestine was no match for Abaddon on her own.

Girlyman is not as powerful as the Corpse bride of the Emperor.

Girlyman could literally bitchslap Celestine to death

If Ynnead managed to wipe out Biel'tan and the Commorites it already makes him more successful than every other faction that's tried it. The problem is, every Eldar must die for Ynnead to reach his Slaanesh-killing potential.

Celestine was murdering greater daemon left and right. Primarchs are not that powerful.

Chaos wipes out Biel-tan and Commorragh, Ynnari just open the door for them.

Also nah whole point of Yvraine is she says all Eldar don't have to die. Ynnead just sucks is all, doesn't even beeat a single Chaos thing of importance, whilst Girlyman's gonna break Abby's face.

Wat?

Yes they are. Primarchs are far more powerful than that

Yvraine is wrong, and Guilliman has nothing to do with defeating Slaanesh. Abaddon is of no interest to Ynnead.

Also Biel'tan's infinity circuit creates the avatar of Ynnead so obviously Chaos did not destroy it, they'd have taken those souls. Unless even a stillborn Ynnead is strong enough to prevent it.

What would be a eldar equivalent of a Primarch

Chaos destroys Biel'tan. Yvrainne just breaks their Infinity Circuit. Ynnead still can't do shit and doesn't do shit during the entire book

Literally the only point of the Ynnari is that they run away to Macragge and bring back Roboute, they don't do anything else cause they're too weak

Nope. We have seen many times that Primarchs struggle with greater daemons.

If Biel'tan's infinity circuit is destroyed and Ynnead uses the souls instead of Chaos getting them, even a stillborn Ynnead is indeed powerful enough to cockblock Slaanesh.
Ynnead can't kill Slaanesh because all Eldar are not dead. That needs to happen. The heralds are just regular illic-tier characters and can go involve themselves with smurfs for all I care.

Except for Sanguinius. Who kills all of them.

>Catholic Space Nazis are the good guys

Please

>There's a clean elegance to the FW primarchs that the new GW one lacks
Literally everything GW produces is ostentatious and lacks clean elegance by bloating everything with details, it's their trademark. If you want other style of models, more clean/pretty you should look another brands.

Ynnead literally does shit other than bring Roboute back.

Name one thing it beats, or one battle it wins.

Got his legs broken and KO'ed at the first try.

CAPE

>they don't do anything else
Except they destroyed all named craftworlds.
>cause they're too weak
Dude, it's only relevant and strongest eldar faction.

Welcome to the age of Roboute, prepare for best Imperium

Are we talking about the same guy?

>>Catholic Space Nazis are the good guys
That's Black Templars, not Ultramarines.

Wait for the new book. It' one week away.

Anyways, Ahriman and Vect are the villains of the coming book.

Who are going be the villains of the Girtlyman book?

So Ynnari are confirmed for being the biggest team killers around?

Also being the only relevant Eldar faction isn't saying much anymore when Commorragh is gone, only strong Craftworld is kaboom and all Infinity Circuits are gone. At this point Eldar are probably weaker than most minor xenos

Who rekt him

Yes. He lost his first fight against Ka'pandaman.

Didn't he then come back and own him?

He lost his first fight against literally the mighiest of all Khorne's servants, and then beat him twice along with countless other Greater daemons.

Yep. Battle two ended in draw when Sangy threw him back into the Warp portal.

The third battle ended with Sangy breaking his back and killing him.

>At this point Eldar are probably weaker than most minor xenos
yep, but still Ynnari main eldar faction now.

Is the sword of the Emperor literally the Emperor's or is it just called like that?

Greater Daemons are shit compared to Primarchs, that's for sure, even the mightiest servant of the most powerful God in existence can't actually keep them beat

So might as well not play Eldar? Cause we have no more impact other than as an Imperium's bitch?

Great

I mean, every faction except Chaos has been the bitch of Girlyman and the Ultramarines for a couple decades now.

Space Wolves got to kick ass and take names, Blood Angels too.

Whole Ynnead plotline reduced to 'battery power for Roboute'

Yep, this isn't about "your dudes" now, it's all about Ultramarines.

True but don't forget; 40k is also a game of epic scale and ridiculous proportions. You can't just have the setting decay into nothingness, you have to go out with a bang.

Retconned.

Ka'pandaman isn't the strongest. He is a third host Bloodthister. A third rate Khornate greater daemon.

You fool, that's literally what the point was. It was decay of such ridiculously epic proportions that it's shocking.

>literally the mighiest of all Khorne's servants

Ka'bumble is a third choir bloodthirster, not even 2nd lmao

How would Rowboat react with the Tau, Newcrons and Squats?