How do we make a game that doesn't focus on murdering stuff?

How do we make a game that doesn't focus on murdering stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

mentalfloss.com/article/62113/9-facts-tell-true-story-johnny-appleseed
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Car Lesbians and Big Motherfucking Crab Truckers exist, user. There are loads of games that don't focus on killing stuff. I'm working, or I'd give more.

by focusing on collecting treasure, or returning a lost item or person, or otherwise having a clear goal, with combat being a an obstacle to be avoided if it isnt strictly required of your goal

I'm actually on the lookout for a mundane RPG. Something that does social combat and interaction in such a way that you could run a How I Met Your Mother or Friends style game. Closest I've been able to find so far is GURPS and Maid.

Choose another focus then.
>trading
>building
>politicking
>farming
>traveling
>researching
>exploring
>fucking

Dogs in the Vineyard has social combat, I think? I haven't read into it, but I hear it discourages murder.

You're looking for Primetime Adventures, user. It was a big hit in indie circles when it came out; the guy who wrote Fiasco cited it as an inspiration.
Basically it's a narrative game that takes some of the concepts and guidelines used to write TV dramas and codifies them into game rules to make a game that feels like writing a season of a TV show.

Rolled 4, 5 = 9 (2d8)

I'm pretty sure any two options can make a pretty interesting adventure.

>trading
>traveling

Capitalism ho motherfuckers! Buy a camel and hit the Silk Road! Get rich or die horribly of starvation in the desert.

Farming and traveling at the same time seems inconvenient.

don't provide rewards for murdering stuff, potentially provide penalties for murdering stuff.

these shitposting threads are getting so banal I'm beginning to wonder if OP is just retarded

So we stretch the definition a bit and make it herding.

I believe it makes violence incredibly dangerous both to PCs and the plot

Ah, that's a good point and a good idea. I'd play it.

Murdering stuff is one of the only things it's difficult to do in reality, and it's got conflict baked in, it's literally perfect game material

OP is most assuredly retarded

>Buy a camel and hit the Silk Road! Get rich or die horribly of starvation in the desert.
I like where this is going.

I've actually really wanted to make a game focused on a Silk Road or a fantasy equivalent. I went to a museum exhibit a while back and it just got the idea stuck in the back of my head.

Watch more Miyazaki movies. Have a fun and vibrant high-fantasy world and have it full of magical beings that the PCs can make friends with.

A lot of Miyazaki "plot" comes from characters encountering something fantastic (or just straight-up being dropped into the spirit-world) and having to figure out how everything works. Have you ever had one of those sessions where the PCs find a bunch of weird magic items and the whole session is just them playing around trying to figure out what it all does? IMO those kinds of scenes are gold and they're a great starting point if you want non-violent adventure fantasy.

Look at the vast majority of board games.

Johnny Appleseed: cider appleseed seller and free land acquisition enabler.
mentalfloss.com/article/62113/9-facts-tell-true-story-johnny-appleseed

Sorry, I think he started cider apple treefarms and sold sapplings. Plant 50 and you get to keep the land.

Traveller (midlife crisis in spaceships) has a fantasy clone called Wayfarer, I think.

Complete with Traveller's merchanting system.

I don't know of a Wayfarer, but there's a fantasy homebrew called Adventurer, and there's also Mercator, which is about running an ancient Mediterranean merchant vessel.

>Mercator, which is about running an ancient Mediterranean merchant vessel.
Continue to elaborate.

It transfers Traveller from being about future guys on spaceships in outer space to being about ancient guys on sailing ships in the ancient Mediterranean. Travel the seas, trade cargo, make money, get in adventures, that sort of thing.

Here, have a pdf.

I dunno, maybe just play treasurehunters who run from all danger, or zoologists/mages wishing to make a book about every monster they can find without hurting them.

Maybe make it more horror-esque, where the monster's unbeatable and you're basically just trying to run?

You're a good person, user. Thank you.

You're welcome.

You can get the Traveller books that Mercator references in the Traveller General's archives, under Classic/GDW - Core books and GDW - Supplements.

golden sky stories
Ryuutama

Two of your three suggestions are basically low level Basic D&D. You get just a bit more than jack squat for fighting monsters, your XP comes from treasure brought back. So you have to get it, grab as much loot as you can haul, and get back out as quickly as you can, and while avoiding trouble with the locals wherever possible. Sneak, bribe, talk your way past, fight if you must, but fighting SERIOUSLY risks your lives, possibly all of your lives, for no real reward, so you don't want to do it if there's any other way.

look at all the RPGs which don't focus on murdering stuff
>Monsterhearts
>Ryutama
>Golden Sky Stories
>Every GUMSHOE game
>Burning Wheel
>MAID
>Annalise
>Dread
>Ten Candles
>Spirit of '77
>World Wide Wrestling
It's a long list, this was the ones I could name off the top of my head

You can play any system and just not do combat. A lot of rules light games are just D&D or whatever with the extra combat options stripped out. The real key is having interesting mechanics for things other than combat.

What if I told you that about a half of my games don't involve combat at all? It's detective work, puzzle solving, exploration or treasure hunting.

Try to make politicking and farming into an interesting adventure.
I am waiting.

Agribusiness is a thing.

Could someone post the Princess Pillowfighter game that Veeky Forums made?

so are people just ignoring the various non-killing focused rpgs that have already been posted in this thread?

Make one about economics

what about escaping from stuff that wants to murder you?

You just described a Ryuutama game with a trader as the party leader.

Subsistence farming is just as life or death as adventuring, it's just that death comes a lot slower.

Issues that can come up and challenges to be solved range from
Disease either of person or crop, mundane or magical.
Good old haunting for spoopy Halloween session.
Esoteric peasant customs and trials of adulthood.
Good old drama between neighbors, anything from they moved the field boundaries, to that damn pig keeps getting into your vegetable patch. You know it. (cue it not being the pig at all, dun dun dun).
Rescue of village children lost in the woods, or whom have come face to face with the realities of the world a little too early.
The terror and wonder of leaving your little 5 mile bubble of the universe on business to the kinda near town, all the people and problems you come across on the way, and the time pressure of getting to market before your stock spoils.
Trying to improve your lot in life through shady deals, and evading the consequences.
Natural or magical seasons, weathers, disasters and responding to them accordingly. Anything from search and rescue after a flood, to trying to prevent a fire set in a local field from ruining everyone's lively hood.

Interesting != action packed

What about a game that focus on colourfull characters and the adventures on the road ?

Not him but I played a solo campaign in GURPS in an alternate timeline where neofeudal colonialists were partitioning land, setting up plantations and developing their "fiefs". Success in that horrifically nepotist/cronyist setting depended on your court rank, faction and family connections and how you made use of them much more than it depended on your skill at managing a farming operation.

Play Shadowrun.
Once you read both the combat and character creation rules, you will never want to enter combat.

but user, traveller's trading system sucks.

I would throw the Pokemon RPGs in there too, especially since the community has some pretty creative premises/settings.

You're a good man.

Make a Magical Realm for smut and smut-related activities only.

>How do we make a game that doesn't focus on murdering stuff?
Rape.

Literally the wizard of oz

someone call?

Morale rules are the primary way of resolving interpersonal differences, actual mortality is loosely covered by the ruleset and almost always left up to the DM.
Damage might represent any confidence-sapping event, from taunts to threats to negotiation, plus actual tactical defeat and suchlike. All character types can contribute debuffs to enemies, buffs to friends and reduction of enemy morale.
Defeated enemies might escape or not, they might simply concede defeat and cannot be harmed further because it makes no sense mechanically and the DM is not interested in playing through torture or execution.

>gang rape simulator
oh jesus christ

>only men can rape and only women can get raped
#sexist

Everything is immortal. Murder is literally impossible.

All killing is self-defense. Murder is literally impossible.

The party is a group of necromancers who work for the government; their job? To resurrect the dead who failed to fill out the proper forms and applications upon arriving at the underworld. It's not glamorous work, but someone's got to do it.

Everybody is already dead. Murder is literally impossible.

It's your backstory though. You have to find your murderers.

Call of Cthluhu has a tiny section on combat for a reason. Most of the game is spent collecting clues and talking to NPCs.

Most of the monsters can outright kill the PCs and weapons are worthless.

PCs can only really pose a threat to other people, but the game stresses that gunfire will draw attention of the police. Then your characters have to explain why they killed the mayor and it's not like anyone will believe their insane stories about monsters no matter how well they roll.

You can make it pulpy, but it generally punishes players who try to play it like DnD.

Here you go, Golden Sky Stories which is basicly My Neighbor Totoro the RPG

Being recently introduced to Shadowrun, I can't help but agree

It seems like the only way to move forward is to ignore 7/8ths of the combat conditional rules

>I don't know of a Wayfarer

Man, I thought I had a pdf of the game

Sorry user, was going to post it for you. Maybe someone else has one.

>Literally the wizard of oz
This nigga right here

Make a game where everyone of importance is immortal. You can't murder them, so you have to undermine their influence networks and knock them down, and tear at them until they are nothing more than a single, unkillable man with nothing to lose

Then you lock them up in a prison before they return the favor.