Space ship thread

Space ship thread.

Post about space ships.
Discuss space ships.
Talk about your setting's space ships.

Also I have a need for space carriers. I'll dump what I have in the meantime.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wJzPhRJRgFA
igorstshirts.com/blog/conceptships/
youtube.com/watch?v=X0T3KLnL9uY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is this from Homeworld? Cause it sure looks like it.

Derp, of course they are, they have Hiigaran symbols on them.

It is, although it took me a while to get it as they were spaceships other than salvage corvettes there.

Gotta help!

The Kushan starfighter design is so much more appealing than the Hiigaran design.

Battlefleet Art-deco reporting, waiting for Battlefleet Gothic

Battlefleet Surrealism represent!

We are here!

What is best in life?

Also space thread, gimme dat music, gimme dem fine ass space scenes. all of it.

Nothing will ever beat Stiletto as my favorite.

I loved everything about this ship, the scenes where it fucks up the aliens craft is top tier.

I don't know why but I love the armour design the most.

What's surreal about a GSV?

Mah. Niggah.

youtube.com/watch?v=wJzPhRJRgFA

Homeworld has the most beautiful mix of sensible utilitarian + spaceboat design. I'm pretty sure this isn't homeworld concept art, but it's that same style.

>space battleships
These trigger my autism almost as hard as the boner they give me.

s-sauce?

>Armour Design
Enjoy having the weakest titan, loyalfag
Also, in the same vein of that particular /v/, is a homeworld-ified Kol battleship? It looks like ass.

The comic is about the first Homeworld

Was meant for

I don't remember for sure, but I don't think so. I believe it's art from one of the concept artists for homeworld, just not necessarily made for homeworld.

The Culture is space postmodernism.

It's just concept art from when they were trying to hammer out the basic design of the Vaygr frigates.

Here's some more concept art of the generic Vaygr frigate. As far as finished products go, both images are most similar to the Vaygr assault frigate. However all of their frigates look very similar with only a few differences between them. Differences that are prominent enough to differentiate them at a glance if you know what you're looking for, but they're all very obviously closely related to each other.

Resemblance the the Kol battleship is coincidental. They're both blocky space ships with turrets slapped onto the sides and antenna sticking out of the bow.

Man, I love homeworld, specially the Vaygr. The predator feel of they ships is awesome, but the other cultures weren't bad.

Could an individual who has the right resources successfully build a spaceship out of wood and rubber/glue, who uses a hot air balloon like contraption to get it up into space, be able to safely travel through the stars?

If it won't work with wood, then what other materials, other than super highly advanced metallurgy, could be used as an alternative?

Balloon doesn't help as much as you think, since the real barrier (assuming Earth escape velocity) is going sideways fast enough to orbit. For that, you basically need rockets, or a really, really big gun.

On a planet with a much lower escape velocity, you might be able to get away with lower powered escape methods, but I really doubt wood would get you there.

However, what is pretty viable is inflatable vessels that you blow up once you have them in space. There's an inflatable module on the ISS now, and the company that made it is wanting to make a much bigger standalone version. But again, to actually get it up there you probably won't make it without metallurgy.

But if I do figure out a way, even if it's just ridiculous plot handwaving, is there any why it would work in the void of space itself? I'm thinking along the track that as real life space suits keep humans alive in space just fine without being made of solid metal crafted with advanced high tech metallurgy, why wouldn't someone be able to make an entire spaceship the same way?

The only thing that I can't work around is the sheer fragility of such a vessel though. Would I be able to successfully embrace this aspect and make captain/crew the incredibly brave who understand the risks and make the educated decision to travel the stars? Or is there just any plausible way to make them survive an average day in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE?

I think the hot air balloon is a good enough way to do it unless you're in some super hard sci fi setting.

My idea for a low budget spaceship involves a steel space frame wrapped in some kind of super glad wrap. Limit it to short trips between space-born places and it might be good enough.

I like the way you think!

Yeah, that's what I was meaning with the inflatable habitat I mentioned - it's an actual thing being looked into now, I think using rubberized fabric or something whacky like that. It's actually a lot less fragile than you'd think, compared to a metalskinned ship - the main danger to both is micrometeors, and thise will generally be going fast enough to penetrate metal anyway. If anything, the flexible inflatable vessel can absorb a little more kinetic energy than the rigid vessel.

The super-gladwrap is another intersting concept for a low-cost, light emergency space system. Say you have a plastic bag full of air in a vacuum - the pressure difference will rupture the bag and soill all the air. But what if you put that bag in another bag of slightly lower pressure air? The differential is low enough that it doesn't burst, and simply layering it a few times means you now have a cheap, light space liferaft that'll keep you pressurized for a few days, probably. A steel frame would be a bonus!

>ankylon
>weakest
Say that to the Ragnarov, which is made completely irrelevant by moving your fleet past it, or that Vasari loyalist mess that can't kill anything until level 6. Ankylon is going to lose to every other titan in a duel, but in large fleet brawls it's a major threat.

They're fans of brutalism as well.

As cool as that picture is, it's not at all what I imagined a GSV to look like.

>sit in the middle of the and spam flak
>major threat
At least the Ragnarov has DPS worthy of a titan - the Ankylon is the least shooty of the titans (to be expected from TEC loyalists) but a forgettable statline and meh-tier at best abilities mean it doesn't have anywhere near enough tankiness to make up for it.

Ragnarov + Sova bomber spam ftw

Plenty of cool spaceships here : igorstshirts.com/blog/conceptships/

Whenever I see that picture all I can think of is that they could fit three more turrets onto the bottom side to even out the firepower.

The bottom turret looks a lot bigger than the others.

I'm not entirely sure if that thing on the very bottom is a turret, or just another conning tower. Either way, it could still use a few more regular turrets for broadsides and close in fighting. It's got a blindspot in the bottom rear. If that thing is a big turret, it still won't be effective at targeting small or medium sized craft coming from that angle.

And anyways, that kind of asymmetry is unaesthetic.

Flak is Kol's ability. Ankylon sits in the middle of the fight and either prevents any significant ability use and melts faces with disruption matrix or drops a massive AoE shield to counter temporary advantages. And its ulti can turn around lost battles. Meanwhile, Ragnarov is a giant Freudian symbol that can't turn fast enough to fire more than once before it is mana burned or killed. That thing is a joke even in the hands of a human player; it only really shines when you have an Advent friend to bounce your targets around with iconus guardians.

Speaking of which, you should really try countering Ragnarov with guardians. Fly past it with your fleet and create your disco ball right on its ass, then when it turns around bounce it sideways and forward through the fight so that it is pointing the wrong way again. It's hilarious.

>capital ship spam
>Sova spam
>carrier tactics with TEC
Jesus christ kid what are you doing

post comfy spaceships

Another view same artist i think, doesnt look like another turret, just kinda a weird thing sticking off the bottom.

Not the same artist, that's just the space yamato

>the only universe that stalemates and gives a run for money against macross and late UC gundam wank

Holy shit, what's that from?

I know there's kind of an unwritten rule about Star wars stuff in these threads but damn if Ansel didn't kill it with his redo of the Dreadnaught, kind of looks too good for post disney Star Wars

And his Secutor is pure sex.

That CG Space Pirate Captain Harlock movie that came out a few years ago.

Not much to it, but it was pretty.

>What's better than one huge cannon of 'fuck off' firepower?
>TWO HUGE CANNONS OF 'FUCK OFF'!

What setting is that, user?

Trips confirm beautiful ships. Who drew this?

Muh Ankylon nigga.

I love the Ragnarov and its ability to end engagements quickly, but at the moment it runs out of spunk and the enemy is still kicking, your shit out of luck.

Meanwhile In large fleet engagements the side with the Ankylon would always survive, its like having a solid brick wall with lasers that other ships can hide behind.

I do love me some moblie space guns.

Where are the engines?

Too bad that game is owned and ran by incompetent idiots.

What anime?

Space Battleship Yamato Season 2 Comet Empire

Don't remind me.

I like to remember Halo the way it was. Gritty and utilitarian, with a proper focus on guns, guns, guns.

I fucking hate how they can now steamroll covenant fleets and Assault Carriers. The Suefinity needs to be burned.

Isn't this excused by the fact the Infinity is cutting edge on top of all the shit humanity learned from the war, on top of said Covenant fleets essentially being cultist pirates who are either fighting amongst each other or running on whatever scraps they could get from before the civil war?

you will never have a disillusioned elite partnered Han Solo-style with an equally disillusioned Brute, flying through space on a stolen cruiser staffed with paid-off Engineers and dumb AI

>Isn't this excused by the fact the Infinity is cutting edge on top of all the shit humanity learned from the war
That would have just made it equal to covenant ships the are just as big. But somehow covenant ships just spontaneously explodes whenever the Infinity appears. The only thing it has better the the covies is the engine.

That'll be cool. You could also be a space pirate with a crew of jackals, grunts, smelly colonist, an Elite first mate and a poncy, uptight, snarky Shan'shuym quarter-master.

Bigolow's the one pursuing the concept right now.

It's not rubber, it's multiple layers of materials-Kevlar for shape, Nextel, open cell foam, Nomex for fireproofing and Combitherm. Not rubber, but lots of flouropolyemors-which is why it's tougher than the tin can method.

Horatio

youtube.com/watch?v=X0T3KLnL9uY