What's the differences between Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green? Which do you prefer...

What's the differences between Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green? Which do you prefer? I always run Call of Cthulhu but I might look into Delta Green because I've heard good things. Also general Call of Cthulhu thread if you wan't to share anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

is2.Veeky
twitter.com/AnonBabble

CoC: You tell the government what's happening, they don't believe you

Delta Green: The government tells your SpecOps team what's happening, you don't believe them

But how do the individual rulesets hold up or is it basically the same?

originally, they were the same rules

the new Delta Green has its own rules now, go get a PDF and see for yourself

I prefer cthulhu because it gives you an excuse to bring a horror element a speakeasy environment, which is good fun.

Delta Green is releasing a 60s handbook soon so that might be cool.

CoC is mostly played in the 1920s. DG is mostly played in [current year].

Coc is based on the Basic RolePlaying (BRP) rules. DG has its own rules now.

What does a typical game of Delta Green entail? I'm not OP but most people know how a CoC game unfolds and how the rules are built around that. With Delta Green I get a mixed impression of Operator meets things you can't fight, and that leaves me confused.

I've listened to a few podcasts where they played it. Usually there is a long period of investigation/roleplaying followed by a confrontation with some kind of enemy. A lot like normal Call of Cthulhu but set in the modern day and you play as part of an agency that exists to combat these things. So there is usually more espionage and you have some resources normal characters wouldn't have. The biggest difference is different skills and a slightly modified sanity system. Some rules are different too but that's mostly personal preference.

Laundry Files is the only worthwhile Cthulhu rpg

Fight me fag gots

CoC players are generally private investigators uncovering cults and discovering ancient horrors.
Delta Green players are more government operatives who not only seek out these cults, but are in some case employed to actively fight against the eldritch.

In Delta Green its rare that the agents are sent out to deal with elder gods. More often than not there the ones who are sent out to stop the cultists from summoning them.
They also deal with zombies, werewolves, and the occasional shogooth

>Laundry Files
The fuck is that?

>What's the differences between Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green?

One's shitty and one's shittier. It takes an outdated RPG and some nu males with zero self-awareness realizing "hey we can repackage this and make some money off of it." Then they post it on Kikstarter and make a ton of money.

It's garbage. CoC is a bad system. The fucking d20 CoC system is better than default CoC. The setting and lore are good but the crunch sucks. Delta Green doesn't update any fluff. It's an old CoC system resurrected for quick cash.

Fuck Cthulu, fuck Delta Green, and fuck the nu males who waste their allowance from their wife to put toward these stupid useless Kickstarters that promote mediocrity and make the indie RPG market a fucking joke.

>Delta Green: You tell your superiors in the government a lie about what's happening, they believe you (at first).
fixed

>The fucking d20 CoC system is better than default CoC.

What is so bad about the default CoC system? AS long as your gm isn't shit it's completely serviceable for anything you might need to do.

How the buzzwords treating ya, cuck?

Generally in Delta Green the modern setting makes a huge difference in how the game is played. A lot of the scenarios that would be played in the 1890s or 1920s don't work out when you have a Sat phone and a mac10.

I am personally not a fan of DG because if you play your cards right, you can call in an airstrike. I think that just really defeats the purpose of the Lovecraft mythos. It's supposed to be about being helpless in the face of an uncaring universe.

Can you call in airstrikes on US soil? I imagine that would be a bit harder to do. I agree though modern technology seems like it would be a lot better at defeating certain things. There are always creatures though that conventional weapons can't harm.

Well, that's the fun to me about Delta Green. That moment after you call in the air strike when you realize it did jack shit.

>CoC
Average Joes finding all sorts of horrifying shit and usually dying horribly
>Delta Green
You're agents of a conspiracy group trying to combat said horrifying shit and usually dying horribly

Does being part of an elite agency not help survivability?

Often it makes things worse.

Does Delta Green blam their own people a lot? I feel like this kind of thing would have a lot of secrecy issues.

Assuming the air strike even kills the damn thing, it might not fix the damage it's already done and it certainly doesn't mean you're winning. I think the horror comes from the realisation that, even if you had all the resources of the government at your disposal, you will only postpone the inevitable. And you certainly don't have all the resources. You're putting your life, sanity, career and the safety of your loved ones at risk to fight something that can only be slowed down, never stopped. And the only people that will believe are your brothers in arms and the enemy.

So what are your favored time periods for running Call of Cthulhu? I usually like mine either in the 20s, 80s, or a future similar to Alien.

Except not really. DG has been both an official government program, a secret conspiracy, and and back to an official program again.

Unless you're playing 70s era DG in Vietnam (which there were DG operations) you're not going to have access to air strikes.

1. You're usually operating on US soil. Too much collateral damage
2. You're usually operating on US soil. You're a SECRET program, air strikes are not subtle!
3. Standard DG Agents are FBI Agents, desk jockeys, other enforcement agency agents, or US based military. None of these people can unilaterally called an air strike on US soil.
4. Your GM and you are missing the key point. DG operates in secret and uses mainly government agents because they have their own access to resources. Very rarely can you just call up the chain and ask for help. Usually the answer is "figure it out yourself, maintain opsec"

Ideally people who would cause problems wash out during the vetting process, but yeah, it's an issue.

I usually play 20s because my players like it but I really want to start up some 1890s games. I'm a real big fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories so maybe I'll run something based on that.

The level of paranoia that DG operates at it largely up to whatever the GM prefers. Some people might run it as DG simply stops inviting you to a night at the opera if you keep fucking shit up and exposing the program.

Others might have other cells take a more proactive approach to an Agent who is no longer an asset and knows too much.

CoC is for furries while DG is kinda riskier all round.

>CoC is for furries
what does that mean?

>CoC is for furries
What did he mean by this?

Anyone ever play 1890s games? I was wondering how they are compared to 1920s because while Lovecraft stuff mostly takes place in 20s I could really see 1890s working for a variety of reasons.

It's the least played time period I think.

I'd use it if I ever wanted to run a game in the Bloodborne setting. People wouldn't be Hunters, just regular people trying to survive the night. Or be foreign scholars trying to ransack lost Byrgenwerth or the Pthumerian Labyrinth.

That could make a for a pretty cool campaign. I never thought about that possibility. but CoC might be the best system for that.

>A lot like normal Call of Cthulhu but set in the modern day and you play as part of an agency that exists to combat these things
Kind of like X-Files?

>d20
>better than anything
What would you recommend as the best RPG for lovecraftian horror?

People like to say Bloodborne is too actiony, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that Hunters and most Yharnamites are about as human as Innsmouth townsfolk or Wilbur Whately are.

So I think you can run a horror game in the setting in Call of Cthulhu and not make combat the primary focus.

I remember a great pdf about CoC/lovecraftian horror in table top RPG that got posted around here. It had some neat guidelines for running a horror campaing and a list of all the Lovecraft related systems. Does anyone have it?

A little. It is an unofficial agency so they are really secretive. If you wanted to you could make all of your agents also be FBI and basically do X-Files. Sometimes they are more militarized depending on the scenario.

He's talking about the -other- CoC.

>-other- CoC.
You don't mean corruption of champions do you?
Also anyone have this?

Did that guy who creates Yog Sothothery general give up yet? They always die about 40 replies in. It makes me sad we don't have more cthulhu game discussion on this board.

is2.Veeky Forums.org/tg/1485362966036.pdf
Is this it?

Of course it'll be cool. You're just playing Predator a that point.

>One's shitty and one's shittier. It takes an outdated RPG and some nu males with zero self-awareness realizing "hey we can repackage this and make some money off of it."
>>the BRP system is shitty
>>the system that fixes a lot of the problems with the BRP system is somehow even worse

>Then they post it on Kikstarter and make a ton of money.
Oh I see what this is about now.

fucking lol

Do you know if it's supposed to be vietnam focused or U.S. mainland focused?

> I have literally no argument: the post

>>>the system that fixes a lot of the problems with the BRP system is somehow even worse

Pathfinder fixed a lot of problems with 3.5

Pathfinder was still shit.

Your argument is fallacious.