"Why do people constantly shout "fire" when they're using bows? What does "fire" mean to a medieval archer...

>"Why do people constantly shout "fire" when they're using bows? What does "fire" mean to a medieval archer? He would probably think there's an actual fire somewhere and would try to extinguish it with a bucket of sand. The word fire belongs to the age of firearms, the medieval archers were using bows, not gunpowder. The correct words to use are shoot, loose or release. So stop shouting fire, it's really annoying and ruins the immersion."

Is Lindybeige correct Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P5x0Jlxl9uU&t=930s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Report, Sage, and hide thread. We can ignore, we can fight these threads, and we can win.

I refer to my old flowchart:

1. Is Britain in any way related to the subject being discussed?
>Yes: He's wrong
>No: Go to question 2

2. Is France in any way related to the subject being discussed?
>Yes: He's wrong
>No: Go to question 3

3. Does the subject related to ancient or medieval warfare?
>Yes: There's a solid chance he has a point.
>No: He's wrong

In this case we can answer all three questions with "yes", and as the flowchart predicted he actually has a point. That doesn't mean he's "right" though, as complaining about arrows being "fired" in a casual gaming group is downright autistic. Perhaps you can bring it up in casual conversation (in one of those "did you know?" moments) but actively policing your players on this is stupid.

Depends. At my table we use "let them fly/loose", but it can only ruin immersion if the rest of the players know AND care about it, same as using anachronistic armor.

He's right though. "fire" did not get used until gunpowder had outphased the crossbow.

Whether he's right or not is pretty irrelevant IMO. It's a pretty basic, well-known use of the term even if it's anachronistic. Only the hopelessly autistic would have any actual problem with it.

>Only the hopelessly autistic would have any actual problem with it.
and now you've cut to the heart of the issue

Well yeah.
so what?
Being autistic over your pet peeves is kinda what we all do and enjoy.

>He's right though.
Read my post. This is one of those "correct, but not right" situations.

stop

fuck off lindy

Is this guy trying to force himself here or what?

He's trying more than Varg at this point

Which is exactly why Female Space Marines should exist.

On a technical, literal level regarding certain periods, yes.

However, I would argue that immersion is heavily reliant on the values of the person being immersed. If your group is primarily people with an average-for-tg knowledge of medieval and ancient military jargon, the word "fire" is likely not going to affect their experience in this context. If your group is filled with Lindybeiges, then maybe it will.

Regardless, applying one rule to the entirety of groups is dumb.

Is he autistic or something? I know that's just a buzzword now but it seems he's incapable of letting little things go or reading between the lines. He doesn't get Initiative, and doesn't get that people who play RPGs aren't necessarily historians. A game made to be played by 3 to 6 people isn't the same thing as a documentary presented as fact.

Holy fuck, lindybeige was right about something! Mark this day on your calendars, anons.

He just makes a show to get some views.
Seriously, it seems you saw his "rant" about D&D - he superficially run through it, and went with the most popular opinion (bash 4e, that is). Maybe he was autistic with his older videos, but nowadays there is nothing much to it.

Papa Lindy should just make his own simulationist historical RPG set in the Hundred Year's War already. Nothing but martial classes, no superhuman abilities, and historical inaccuracies kept to a minimum.

This would not only end his videos on such subjects, but provide a containment general thread for all the people who actually give a shit about such things.

Yeah, and Virt hated Dungeon World. Some of the reviews for rpg systems on his Tumblr make some good points. Doesn't stop him from being the biggest asshole on the planet.

>>Yes: There's a solid chance he has a point.
Solid chance? No, maybe a 30% at best. After how wrong he was on pikes and halberds, he's not trustworthy.

>actively policing your players on this is stupid.

As opposed to creating your own flow chart to work out if you think he's right or not and not bothering to do your own research...

Shut your filthy whore mouth!

>A five minute asspulled meme for comedic purposes is comparable to Lindy's autism
Fuck off Lindybeige

>simulationist historical RPG set in the Hundred Year's War
By the guy who believes England won the Hundred Year's War. I'd play it, just to see what kind of longbow wanking fuckfest it'd turn out to be.

>rules-heavy simulationist game with no turns or initiative because "oi come on m8 i'm not gonna stand still while 'es swingin at me"

Sounds like a clusterfuck

What he said

reminder that Lindybeige claims:

>no one used swords, axes
>no one used horses
>no one used throwing knives
>no one used double strap arm shields
>no one used scythes
>no one used mail coifs
>no one used torches
>Pikemen didn't fight each other
>no one spoke French during the French revolution
>no one spoke Latin during the Roman Republic
>battle of Zama didn't happen
>Romans carried one pilum
>Vikings weren't real
>berserkers weren't real
>climate change isn't real
>stagnant social mobility isn't real
>castles were defended by three soldiers
>butted mail is better than riveted mail
>operation market garden was a success
>Napoleon was literally Hitler
>The Churchill was the best tank in WWII
>The English won the Hundreds Years' War
>british naval guns on Malta could lanuch projectiles into space

Remember fuckers to sage if you are posting

How wrong was he on Halberds?

>no one used swords

laughinglegionary.jpg

>>The Churchill was the best tank in WWII
Cromwell, mate. He claims Cromwell was the best

Which is exactly the same kind of bullshit as Churchill statement, but oh well, at least now you know his full claim made after extra deliberation.

youtube.com/watch?v=P5x0Jlxl9uU&t=930s
He says it was Churchill and he's actually correct.

>Not saging

It was lacking in slopped armour, undergunned, but mainly was built with the idea of fighting WW1 all over again and couldn't do anything but support an infantry attack because it was so goddamned slow.

>no one used scythes
War scythes (read: shitty glaives made from old scythes) saw use, but weren't very good.
No one fought with actual scythes and you'd be dumb to try. They're awkward and heavy.

>Samefagging own post to try make a shitstorm
>Still not saging
You're going to try to hit the bump limit with samefaggotry or what?

>Literally reposting answer to reposted list of shit Shittybeige claimed
1) Stop making those threads
2) Sage

This is my second time visiting a Lindybeige thread, and my first time posting in one.
As it turns out, I'm not the only other person on the internet.

>"Why do people constantly shout "shoot" when they're using bows? What does "shoot" mean to a medieval archer? He would probably think you're a foreigner and try and kill you. The word shoot belongs to the age of modern English, the medieval archers were using middle English, not modern English. The correct words to use are shẹ̄ten or loos. So stop shouting shoot, it's really annoying and ruins the immersion."

And you are still not saging, so?
Give up, Lindy. You are not welcomed here. And forcing your way inside only makes people more dedicated on keeping you clipped.

It's a show about him rambling about random shit. What do you expect him to do?

That you all start saging. Basic rule of posting in Lindy threads - SAGE

I still don't even know what saging means.

Granted, mostly because I don't care.

>It's another: "Veeky Forums gets emotionally invested in hating a thing they don't watch/play thread"

Everyone itt who is even slightly upset has severe autism.

I dunno, not get buttmad over little details or accepting that games need mechanics and game mechanics can't be entirely realistic. If this were a documentary he was commenting on that had the actors saying 'shoot' instead of 'loose', then his criticism would be valid because it would be factually incorrect.

You do know that he isn't really serious, right? He straight up joked that when they win they are Normans and when they lose they are French.

>Using Veeky Forums
>Not knowing how to sage or what it even is
How fucking new are you?

Write sage in the bar labelled "Options", you stupid cunt

>I was just pretending
No, Lindy. You are just fucking retarded.

>failed to restore Angevin Empire
>lost basically all other territories in France
>never again effectively push claim on throne of France

It's actually funny, all my fellow bongs think we won the 100 Years War because of Agincourt.

>Thread nicely goes down to page 6
>Bunch of faggots shows up and don't even know what sage means
Neo/tg/, ladies and gents

Read the FAQ you filthy redditor.

>well, considering my experience of 12 guys hitting each other with foam tipped stick in a field ancient soldiers definitely didn't do something most archaeological evidence supports, also this helmet is kind of uncomfortable so they didn't use it either or they were all just stupid.

This man irritates the shit out of me.

literally kill yourself

Regarding Medieval weapons and armor he might be right for all we know. Future RPG players 500 years from now would probably think we fly fighter jets to work and everyone had either AR-15s or AK-47 based on media portrayal. It is very likely that we base our image on Medieval warfare on their equivalent of the National Enquirer.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, SAGE!

下げる (saw-geh-rue)
Nip for "low", "hang", or "disrespect"

If you write sage in the Options field (the one you use for dice, etc.), your post won't bump the thread.
A long time ago, when these pastures were greener, your post would also be visibly marked as saged.
But people got butthurt by that, so now it's hidden.

These days, mentioning that you've saged is a bannable offense (it violates Global Rule 7).

knock, draw, loose. simple as that

I started watching this guy because of the video where he tore the katana apart and stopped watching when he started doing political videos, has he done anything of note since?

>castles were defended by three soldiers
wasn't common, but it did happen once or twice where a lord was away and the lady had to defend the castle. can't remember which castle it was, but it was succesfully defended against 500 or soldiers by the lady, her servants, and about 5 soldiers.

As an outsider, I just have to wonder how the English teach the HYW in schools. I imagine it's something like
>Poitiers
>Agincourt
>We somehow lost all this land???
>But we totally won the war, fuck you France!

Imagine if the Germans taught their history in the same way
>Invasion of Belgium
>Battle of the Frontiers
>We somehow lost all this land???
>But we totally won the war, fuck you France!

Though to be fair, the Flemish have that exact same boner for the Battle of the Golden Spurs... another surprise victory against French knights in a war the French ended up winning.

He was, is and probably will die utter shit. Less than 5% of his videos aren't utter crap.

Don't. Talk. Shite!

getting himself set up with a new set of armor, so it'll be cool to see the process of getting a real set in modern time.

"TWANG!"

I don't remember getting taught the hundred years war at all but then again I grew up in Wales

>Get labelled brackets
>One is "Name", the other "Options"
>Writes SAGE in Name
Neo 4chin scares me

His latest video is pretty good where he rambles about medieval beds for about half an hour.

You weren't taught about it, because it's the classic British way of dealing with defeat - they pretend it didn't happen at all.
And since kids were asking questions how the fuck the war was lost if the battles were won, the amount of 100 years war was cut to the point when it was no longer present at all.
Britbongs - either win or pretend it didn't happen

We aren't taught the HYW in school, sometime ago some faggot decided that history teaching should be 'deep' rather than 'broad', which basically means as far as British schooling goes, slavery, rise of Hitler, civil rights in America/Vietnam, Russian Revolution, the English Civil War and the homefront in WW2 is bascially all that's actually covered, with maybe a couple of substitutions depending on the school.

He's more likely doing the "Sage goes in all fields" thing that no one does anymore since it's no longer visible that it's what you're doing.

Since his post did bump the thread - I sincerely doubt it.

Fuck off Lindy nobody gives a shit

sage

Yeah because I'm sure French history classes are all about the war of 1812 or Americans get taught about the Bay of Pigs

The correct order chain is thought to have been "Knock, Stretch, Loose." Archers also fired until given an order to hold. The reason for this is that you didn't have structured volleys as thats a development from musket reload and firing lines.

They know this because of battle scriptures.

However TV, movies, board games, vidya etc etc aren't fucking accurate as they are aimed at the lowest layman customer; because thats the biggest market. This market gives zero shits about the wording. It's why modern 'historical' shows have actors say things like "Fuck." Because Buggerer is hard for the audience to relate to.

We aren't taught it. We aren't taught much British history besides industrial revolution to WW1, Tudors and maybe Roman Britain.

bump

>Let's compare one of the most important war in English history with conflict that didn't even involve French
>Then let's compare ourselves with universally acclaimed shit-tier American education
And surprise, surprise - burger do learn about Bay of Pigs, you fucking inbreed sheep banger. Just like French learn Americans sided with them during the Napoleonic era.

Not to mention there are nations that base their entire history course on learning about failures, because they happend to draw a short stick few times in the row and everyone was using them as a playground for armies.

To be fair compulsory education rarely covers specific wars as a full blown topic besides maybe WWI or II and the 100 Years War is a series of wars, it's not a good topic for shit for brains teenagers that barely pay attention to history as it is.

The middle ages don't get much coverage as a whole in the UK anyway.

Kys

fucking Tudors are so fucking boring, the whole part of the curriculum is just talking about Henry VIIIs wives, William Shakespeare and the fucking Spanish Armada

whoops my mistake, I meant the French invasion of Russia, not the war of 1812

Son, I'm a Pole and I've learned about 100 years war in fucking Polish school, since it happend to reshape half of the Western Europe. That's standard high school history curriculum
So nice knowing as a mere spectator I happen to get more education about it than people who's country was directly affected

At this point, we're going til auto-sage.

>most important war in English history

m8, most of England's continental holdings were gone before it even started. Its importance is more the influence it had on future events. It's 100 years of tit for tat dynastic struggles, it's a very hard topic to teach concisely.

Polskis are literally obsessed with war, you probably don't get taught anything else

>French aren't taugh about the turning point of Napoleonic wars
>Apparently in French history course, Napoleon just suddenly vanished with his Grande Armie
Son, I get it, you are British, English-British to be precise, but stop making yourself more retarded than needed.

I hope you die of thirst.

>reshape half of the Western Europe.

Que?

>Implying there is anything else in history to learn than wars, battles and treaties.

In a world of wizards who shoot fireballs, fire could become synonymous with shooting a projectile.

It really depends on your setting.

There is worst deathwish - die out of thirst in the middle of ocean.

>Consolidation of French crown
>Consolidation of France itself
>Kicking Brits out of the continent
>Making sure they mostly just watch from behind the Channel for next few centuries
Yeah, totally didn't have any effect at all on Western Europe.

Be uneducated retard somewhere else

>"PTSCHWOOSH!"

Rude!

>Come back to check how low the thread is
>It's on the first page, nearing 100+ posts

Thanks, I needed this pasta. Tired of seeing this Lindy trash.

>Making sure they mostly just watch from behind the Channel for next few centuries

>Its importance is more the influence it had on future events

Exactly. An in depth study of the 100 years war is pointless in compulsory education. It can be glossed over, all that matters is that post Castillon support for further war in France waned for economic reasons and stoked the fire of the Wars of the Roses.

Studying 100 fucking years of continuous wars that's a huge back and forth is retarded for highschool ages students. It's too complex.

>m8, most of England's continental holdings were gone before it even started
>This is what Britbongs actually believe

>I have no fucking clue about 100 years war
>I actually think there was constant war for 100 years
>I also think everyone is as retarded as me
School is about striving to improve your knowledge and skills, you fucking moron, not about shrugging for 10+ years until you are out.