How would Kryptonians fare in the grim darkness of the future?

How would Kryptonians fare in the grim darkness of the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HyE1V6Ac49Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>corrupted by Chaos Gods
>universe utterly raped by Chaos-powered immortal daemon-prince Supermans

/thread

I'm not really up to date on my Superman lore, but isn't one of the main points with him that he gets his power from our yellow sun.

Thus fighting them in solar system without yellow sun and far enough from one could be viable.

Superman is also shielded from mental influences.

Then he'd probably just be hunted down and killed by the Imperium.

An experienced kryptonian under a yellow sun is an invincible paragon of hope for whatever planet he calls home.

Can't tell you about Kryptonians in general, but Superman in particular would fuck everybody's shit up for a few years in a vain attempt to bring peace to the universe until he either succumbed to despair and just disappeared, or allied with the Tau.

Except OP said Kryptonians

So we're not talking about one super powerful being that can break planets and kill billions in a second

We're talking millions of them

they couldn't even survive their own universe.

So what you're asking is what would happen if billions of people with high-tier technology, psyiology that allows everyone to crack planet's in half, resistance to mind control (or maybe superman just built up an immunity), and faster than light speed flight.

They fix 40k that's what.

It is very, very difficult to survive a capeshit universe.

They have people who can do the shit it takes an army to do in 40k.

Like, a billion of them.

The resistance is a skill of Superman in particular, he trained intensely to put up mental blocks against control or suggestion, they aren't foolproof though, often they just wind up giving him enough wiggle room against compulsion to avoid fatally injuring anyone.

Imperium has nothing that is even remotely a threat to Superman.

>They fix 40k that's what.
They make 40k their bitch, that's what. Ftfy

Kneel before your Zod.
Who, sadly, is still likely to treat his new slaves better than the average Imperium citizen can expect to be treated.
Dammit, even Zod would be an invincible paragon of hope in 40K.

Fairly well. As discussed in this thread, Superman was shielded from mental influences and corruption, but there's a good chance that not every Kryptonian would have this ability (since Superman is powered by a yellow sun). Most likely, a Kryptonian faction would be in civil war with Chaos influenced Kryptonians fighting regular Kryptonians. Warhammer Fantasy is a different story for them though.

>implying normal Zod isn't a paragon of hope.

He's weak against magic
And in some versions, his powers are entirely psychic
Super Strength? Touch-range telekinesis.
Invulnerability? Psychic force field.

Imperium: You get a few Idealistic Kryptonians with less moral scruples than supes who strongarms their way to Terra and blasts Emps while on his throne. Down with the old god, in with the new.

Eldar: imagine an entire race with Lex Luthor's mentality, but ultimately nothing they can do to stop it

Tau: You're doing alright folks, except for the commie parts here and there. Don't worry, we'll fix that for you.

Chaos: The collective unconscious of all sentient life is getting unruly? Better beat it like a Bitch until it learns to behave.

Orks: Huh, you know, if we keep these things confined to a planet or two, they'd make decent practice for our new soldiers using their bullshit powers.

Tyranids: Well, seems like these guys are the most dangerous threat. Eat one of us and suddenly we've got a fuckton of insane monster bullet to deal with.

Deldar: Well, let's stop their goddess from eating souls, because we can do that now, and see if that cures them. If not, the universe is better off without them.

Eventually the ideals between different Kryptonians split, and the factions start up again, this time with Kryptonians at the head of every one. It basically becomes an intergalactic version of the Trojan War, with Gods on all sides waging war through their followers.

They'd all die horribly except for the few lucky ones that become Daemon princes.

Seriously, what part of GRIM DARKNESS do you not understand you fucking retarded fag/co/t?

They get killed when not in the vicinity of a yellow sun.

>this triggers the 40kid

>Tau: You're doing alright folks, except for the commie parts here and there. Don't worry, we'll fix that for you.

Ehem

Why do people like 40k?
I remember when I was younger I liked spess muhreens designs but now all they remind me of is shitty WoW pauldrons and armor design.
I guess it's forgivable, since SM have to be designed for tabletop play.

If we're talking Kryptonians as a whole who are militarizing against 40k, they'll undoubtedly create some kind of solar suit to store sunlight for them, or manufacture small suns for use.

We're talking about people with bullshit level powers. They don't die due to the Grim Darkness of the Setting, they Become it.

Now now before your Kryptonian Gods, as I said here:

You know the point of Red Son that even if he was misguided, Superman was still a moral person?

Superman would break the Imperium over his knee, single handedly.

You don't want to get into this. Capeshit is bullshit. 40k might also be bullshit, but 40k's brand of bullshit involves vast and impossible logistical engines, while Superman's bullshit is confined entirely to one man-sized pot of overpoweredness.

>is weak against psionics and sensory overload
>in a setting where psionics are commonplace and powered by the elemental plane of chaos

Nah he'd fold in a week.

You know the point the poster was making wasn't morality, but "commie parts" being objected to?

Actually, Psychic powers are one of the few things Kryptonians AREN'T immune to under a yellow (or blue) sun. Superman specifically has trained with Martian Manhunter to remove this weakness, but other Kryptonians still have it.
Though, in the pre-new-52 universe, there was a Kryptonian mental discipline that allowed them to resist psychic powers, though not everyone knew it.

>You know the point of Red Son that even if he was misguided, Superman was still a moral person?
I don't think that poster actually read Red Son, and just knows that "one time Superman was a gommie :DDD"

>And in some versions, his powers are entirely psychic
Superman has psychic powers, but they are usually limited to explaining why he can lift large, heavy objects without them his hand just going through them, or them collapsing in on themselves.
Superboy on the other hand, uses his Tactile Telekinesis to replicate most of Superman's powers, except the vision powers and super breath, which he doesn't have access to.

>He's weak against magic

Wrong. He is NORMALLY AFFECTED by magic. That is, magic works the same on him no matter what sunlight he's under. But it's still going to affect him like a normal *Kryptonian*, not a normal human. Even without the sunlight, Kryptonians are stronger and tougher than humans.

It just seems like he's "weak" to magic because of comparison to the damage, or whatever, he can normally take. But he's no "weaker" to magic than Batman or Green Lantern (sans ring) is.

>And in some versions, his powers are entirely psychic

Not in any mainstream version. He was, briefly, said to have a small telekinetic field that extended a few centimeters above his skin, but this was merely to explain why his clothing is never damaged by the various blasts and stuff that he takes. His powers had nothing to do with psychic power.

Actually the brighter a star burns, the more power a Kryptonian gets. Superman's power jumps immensely when near a blue sun, for example.

They can also "store" sunlight; it doesn't just instantly disappear once they're out of sight of a yellow sun. Thus why Superman can fly between solar systems without dying.

>They can also "store" sunlight; it doesn't just instantly disappear once they're out of sight of a yellow sun.
Most can. Superboy Prime loses his powers almost the instant he's out of sunlight, but he also only needs a few seconds to be at full power once he's back in it.

How the heck is SBP Kryptonian if he's supposed to be from Earth Prime?
Isn't that ecktchyewally fecktchewally our earth?

Clone of Superman Prime like most Superboys? Or 'Earth Prime' refers to the whole Prime universe?

His story is that he first discovered his powers when Superman was dimension hopping, and went with Superman to be trained in how to use his powers.
Then Crisis on Infinite Earths happened, and SBP and a couple other people got trapped in a pocket dimension. Then in, I think Infinite Crisis, he gets out and is disgusted by the current state of the main DC universe and becomes a bad guy to fix it. Then more stuff happens and eventually he gets sent back to Earth Prime without his powers.

Superboy Prime is the actual Superman of his universe, just younger. There is no cloning on Earth Prime because it's the world we live on.

>weak
He just isn't entirely resistent. It isn't an actual weakness, as much as it's one of the few things that he won't nosell instantly.
Aside from all the times where he just didn't give a fuck because lolcapeshit.
Dude can punch hard enough to shatter universes

>resistance to mind control (or maybe superman just built up an immunity)

Kryptonian minds, particularly when under yellow sunlight, are harder to influence, but his resistance is partly intense training, partly the help of his telepathic friends (like Martian Manhunter) putting telepathic blocks into his mind, and partly just his innate "goodness".

They can still be beaten, such as when Max Lord spent years carefully winnowing past them to the point where he could take complete control whenever he wanted.

Isn't that just because he gains it a lot faster, and also burns it a lot faster? That's why he needed to have the armour continually feed him sunlight.

>Isn't that just because he gains it a lot faster, and also burns it a lot faster?
Yes. However, his reverses are so low and his recharge so fast that you might as well say his powers work in a different way than most versions of Kryptonians, a simple on/off switch, rather than the battery most Kryptonians have.

>That's why he needed to have the armour continually feed him sunlight.
Exactly, it made sure his "switch" was always set to "on," because he's helpless basically the instant he's out of Yellow (or presumably Blue) sunlight.

No Krypton exists so no Kryptonite exists, stars are plentiful so pretty well.

Is the Cosmic Armor Thought Robot considered a Superman?

Yes. But he is not considered a Kryptonian.

Yes, he is only powerful in systems with a yellow sun. In systems with a red sun he is extremely weak. In a system with a blue sun, he is even stronger than normal. The younger the sun is, the greater its effect on his strength. He would be useless near the ghoul stars and ancient suns on the edge of the galaxy.

Depending on number but they're easily far beyond the average Space Marine.

It's not that he's weak to magic, it's that he used to have no resistance. This isn't having low or no magic res, this is having the same amount of magic res as a normal joe while everything else is super high.

>Wrong. He is NORMALLY AFFECTED by magic.
He's vulnerable to magic. My personal favorite example is Dracula being able to bite through his skin due to being a magical being. Of course it didn't turn out well for him considering where Supes gets his power from.
>But he's no "weaker" to magic than Batman or Green Lantern (sans ring) is.
Actually, in the DC universe humans have more resistance to magic than the average species. Just a fun little fact that never really comes up. Gut feelings are also a low level psychic ability they have.

source on that image? Supes fighting himself is gr8

Infinite Crisis event would be my best guess.

>He's vulnerable to magic.
This is one of those things that varies by author. Most have him being affected normally by magic, but some make him actually weak to it.

They would win easily.

As would most cape comic factions. The Kree and the Shi'ar for example are intergalactic empires that could roll the entirety of the 40K Milky Way without trouble.

Just reminded me how dull and boring this superhero is.

If supes were 'normally affected' by guns we'd say he is weak to guns.

Wouldn't last a century. After all Kryptonians are basically solar pannelled super heroes. Destroy the star of the system where you are fighting them, and they are normal monkeys.

Depends on the writer. They'd still have energy in their system for a while longer according to most, and also depending on writer kryptonians may be able to fly at FTL speeds, so they'd have more than enough time to go to the next star over. Also, kryptonians are still a ridiculously advanced alien race and stronger than the average human even without a yellow sun. The whole reason they have their yellow sun shtick is because they were bio-engineered to have extremely efficient physiologies

If they were so advanced, why didn't they conquer their universe or stop their star from going kaputt?

Various reasons depending on continuity. Kryptonian history is a clusterfuck that reads like Scientology history.

This is a universe policed by Green Lanterns and every random space tyrant can split an planet in two with a headbutt.

Post crisis continuity after Infinite crisis was that they did conquer the galaxy and then grew bored of it and returned home.

See the previous reasons, and add on that they were extreme isolationists. They only had like half a dozen planets and didn't WANT more.

Don't forget that Krypton is one of the very few planets that told the Lanterns to "fuck off", the Guardians have held a grudge ever since.

>stop their star from going kaputt
That never happened in any continuity I can think of.
Most of the time it explodes, either due to something hitting it or tectonic activity.
The only time I remember the start having anything to do with it is Superboy Prime's Krypton, where the star engulfed the planet, destroying completely. This is why there is no Kryptonite that affects Superboy Prime, as there are no radioactive chunks of Krypton floating around to gather it from.

>That never happened in any continuity I can think of.

Superman I-IV and Returns, i.e., the original movie continuity.

youtube.com/watch?v=HyE1V6Ac49Q

By "kaputt" I thought you meant that it ran out of fuel. Their sun going supernova falls under "Krypton explodes because something hit it" by my definition, and by what is shown in that video.

>Not in any mainstream version. He was, briefly, said to have a small telekinetic field that extended a few centimeters above his skin, but this was merely to explain why his clothing is never damaged by the various blasts and stuff that he takes. His powers had nothing to do with psychic power.

He's more of a reality warper who uses his powers to punch stuff.

You're thinking of Marvel's Sentry. (Modern) Superman has a defined set of powers, and Reality Warping is not one of them.

No, he's thinking of All-Star Superman, whose powers were all psionic in origin. He had Tactile Telekinesis, which is why people didn't break in three when he caught them out of mid-air.

In the early comic he just has the normal powers of Superman, but by the end of it he was effectively a god who could summon tornadoes with his brain.

Speaking "realistically" wouldn't the Kryptonians just stay isolationist and ignore the rest of 40k entirely?

IIRC they have no desire to fix anything and would rather just jack off on their one planet until something threatens them, and then they ignore that too.

Truth right here. The Kryptonians were very big on "Not my problem". Even for things that very much WERE their problem, like their planet destabilizing.

He's not weak to magic, he just has no special resistance to it.

That depends on how much you fuck with them. The New Krypton arc ended with the Kryptonions invading Eath under the Command of General Zod after Lex Luther blew up the titular New Krypton.

Or to be even more rule lawyer with it superman is superman against magic, but conditional magic fucks up his day.

Magic dust that puts user to sleep? Probably works on superman.
Confusion spell? Works on superman.
Mind control spell? Works on superman.
"Fire as hot as the sun" spell? Superman tanks it.
Sword that is magically sharp? Can make super an bleed.
Sword that cuts anything? Goes through superman.

*Not all versions of Superman behave the same. Some restrictions apply. If you are pregnant or planning to be pregnant consult your local comic store.

>Mind control spell? Works on superman.
I'd give it a 50/50 shot, Superman's psychic defenses are pretty solid, though not impenetrable.

Yeah, but magic mind control works pretty well on him. Merlin and Le Faye both used it on him and it pissed him off when he was bouncing around time.

There's civilizations & individuals stronger than they are. Brainiac doesn't like them so much.

Are the Green Lantern corps still incompetent?

>implying Superman could be corrupted

With kryptonian mental speed Superman could teach them all that skill in 10 real-time seconds.

>Chaos: The collective unconscious of all sentient life is getting unruly? Better beat it like a Bitch until it learns to behave.
Superman killed the soul of a multiversal constant with just his voice, the Chaos Gods would be fucked.

Two of the most powerful spellcasters in DC comics used magic on him. That's not really a good metric for what the average spellcaster's chances are.

If I were doing a Superman movie, I'd actually have Braniac's tech as notably worse than that of the Kryptonians...which is why he was heading to Krypton, his intention was to assimilate it. He snatched up Kandor in a test run/scouting mission, and arrived insystem to begin the full assimilation attempt...just as Krypton blew up. He tracked Kal-El's and Kara Zor-El's pods leaving but his ship was badly damaged by Kypton's explosion, and it took him a good decade to fully affect repairs, another several years scavenging Krypton to salvage what he could, and the final few years up to [present day] traveling from Rao to Sol at his markedly-slower-than-Kryptonian FTL.

From what I recall he basically did it the same way you would raised your pain tolerance. In other words, he had Martian Manhunter attack him psychically until he was able to fight him off. And since Superman himself lacks psychic powers, teaching that would be rather hard.

Well that's Zod. One of the few exceptional guys with getting shit done (or trying to) mindset.

Probably, iirc the Kryptonians knew yellow suns would give them superpowers and that still wasn't enough to make them want to leave Krypton or get involved in the rest of the universe.

I always thought that All-Star Superman subconscious reality warping power was the most logical explanation for the kind of bullshit superman pulls off, and was canon insofar as this sort of things goes.

But I'm probably more of a secondary in Superman canon.

Kryptonians aren't psychic, so they'd probably wind up getting manipulated a lot. I could see them resisting the Imperium because they're pretty much god men so long as they have yellow stars for that energy, but the Eldar would push their shit in by really exploiting the psychic weakness and having them kill each other.

Torquasm Vo is a Kryptonion mental technique designed to help overcome mind control. Not every kryptonion knows it, but Superman didn't invent it so some certainly would, especially among the more martially minded Kryptonions, as they consider it a type of martial arts.

Yup, that's infinite crisis. Post-Crisis superman vs Golden Age superman IIRC.

It would completely depend on which continuity of superman we are talking about.

The animated series superman, for example, does NOT know that, since he was mind-controlled/brainwashed by darkseid in the originalk animated series.