Okay, I get it, this is not a card game in the strictest sense of the word...

Okay, I get it, this is not a card game in the strictest sense of the word. Hearthstone has fully embraced its digital nature, which leads to all sorts of mechanics that would just be too impractical in a real-life game (random damage, C'Thun shenanigans, shuffling tokens into your deck, shuffling cards into the opponent's deck...)

But, what can traditional, printed-on-cardboard games learn or take as inspiration from Hearthstone?

Other urls found in this thread:

hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2017/01/on-hearthstone.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not much, hearthstones appeal is in the quality of the framework around the card game. Stuff like the sounds and animations that can't be transferred into a real world game.

Don't make OP as fuck 1 and 2 drops, or else it fucks up the rest of your game really hard.

I hope hot. Heartstone is already worse than MtG ever was and the train doesn't seem to be slowing down.

It's a bad game. Shadowverse is better in every way.

I gotta admit the mechanics are limited. They probably wanted to avoid waiting around for your opponent on your own turn, so they simply didn't implement a way for you to actively do things on your opponent's turn. It's just sorcery-analogs and creatures with triggered abilities.

There are two major points you can take away for physical card games:

>Style is everything, substance is secondary.
So, for physical card games that'd be artworks, formatting, borders and, to a point, lore.

>Little interactivity shoots your game to shit and makes it impossible to be balanced and engaging
Instants and activated abilities are what keeps MtG sane, cut down on interactivity and fucking Haste becomes impossible to balance.

>shuffling tokens into your deck
Don't think that'd be a problem in real life, as long as you lay the printsheet out in a way that the token is always in the same booster as the respective card.

MtG already has ridiculous 1 and 2 drops. You just have to give players reliable ways to get rid of them rather than slamming your creatures into them.

There is nothing original in Hearthstone to take inspiration from. It's a clone of a game released in 1993, which has already been copied to death. If I see one more card game where players summon creatures with mana to attack each other I may well shoot myself, as it's an indication that the only game the designer has played is Magic.

I have yet to see another system that has as clean and scalable basic mechanics as Magic through the mana and health system. And I've played every dead western CCG, every shitty japanese CCG and every god damn LCG there is. They are all ridiculously constrained in their design space, they don't work with anything outside their intended play format whereas you can play MtG with any number of players or asinine additional rulesets and they all need some inhomogenic faction system imposed on them to achieve what MtG does naturally through coloured mana.
It's fucking ridiculous, but nobody has come up with anything that is as good and versatile as Magic, yet completely different. The best we've got are improved and fixed iterations of the same formula.

Just so this thread isn't totally filled with magicwank: This guy suggests Hearthstone is a superior game.

hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2017/01/on-hearthstone.html

One point everyone should be able to agree on is that Hearthstone's mana system is much better than Magic's. Right?

Resource system in Might and Magic Duel of Champions was superior to both. It was simple, fast and deep.

The actual Warcract TCG was better than both, but they gutted it in Hearthstone for ease of play and a less cluttered UI.

It's funny how many problems are in that game that they claim are to facilitate new players, then instantly go about making the least new player friendly experience ever in their ladder, standard, and collection building system.

The problem I have with Hearthstone's mama system is that since the cards have no "input" restriction, e.g. Colored mana cost, cards that would be op in other decks are therefore restricted by class, greatly decreasing deck diversity.

The problem I very much acknowledge with Magic is that lands are incredibly dead end cards, and drawing them in the mid-late stages of the game can be so detrimental, which is why I wish there were maybe more hand refill cards.

That said, I haven't played magic since RtR, and I'm a casual even at that

>inhomogenic faction system imposed on them to achieve what MtG does naturally
I honestly like the way influence works in Android: Netrunner.

Okay, how bad could it possibly be?

>shuffling tokens into your deck
Real magic could implement this.
You'd have to call it something else as a Token already means something that can't exists in the library.
I don't know if it would be a good idea to do it, you just could.

I like the game and I think there is nothing for traditional games to learn here other than maybe learning from its mistakes. I don't have any issues with the randomness or the obvious balancing issues ( I guess you cannot avoid them), but frustrating mechanics like secrets and basing a whole class on combos. I mean I love combos in cardgames, even one turn kill stuff, but the rouge is a fucking mistake. Also taunt sometimes seems off to me, I can't point out what it is though.
No. Both have their problems and the best is probably the duel masters one, where you can convert cards into mana. BUT imho MtG has the best system because its the most flavorful. Also the main flaw of MtGs mana system isn't the lands themselves and them being 'dead' in lategame and stuff, but the fact that they are so god damn expensive.

Pre-Synchro YGO was a decent system, right?

Fuck no, it was always garbage. In fact, it's the perfect example for for why having no resource system beyond hand cards is a stupid idea.

>But sacrifices!
Nobody sacrificed shit even back then, it was always about some busted combo cheating shit into play.

>WotC's face when they add a 2 drop 2/3 with deathtouch and lifesteal in aether revolt

Yugioh is a game for real men.

>But, what can traditional, printed-on-cardboard games learn or take as inspiration from Hearthstone?
Balance your game well the first time and you won't have to piss your players off when you release more cards.