If you blended psionics and magic together, what's a good word for that?

If you blended psionics and magic together, what's a good word for that?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Magic in some settings are pretty damn close to what psionics are in most others. Exactly what is "magic", in this case?

"Magic" in this case is supernatural ability that allows people to do some unnatural stuff, like creating protective charms and trinkets, create or move small amounts of energy (lightning bolt), change matter with some limitations of both material and size, create half-living monsters and so on. All of this magic requires a lot of physical spirit energy that living things have, called Anima, to cast and a lot of training.

I say that I am combining psionics and magic because all the above is pretty traditionally magic but I kind of wanted some implications of mind reading, fortune telling, emphatic sensing, and more so innate ability to actually use it, and a question of willpower to resist it which is more traditionally psychic then magic.

Depends on the outcome, but "Wyrd" might be a nice name for it

It could be magic that keys off psychic influence of reality

Or traditionally psionic effects that key off of specific rituals/procedures

Depends on what flavor you like best

Manics. It's a good word.

That sounds like more "universal" magic, where those traditionally psychic effects are just mind magic

Have you looked at Mage: The Ascension?

I always divide psionics and magics the same was shadowrun divides shamanistic and hermatic mages

One is classic merlin-type magic. Esoteric components, weird chants, fetishes and symbols that make stuff happen and no one knows exactly why.

One takes a consistent, measurable set of phenomena and applies the scientific method to them to determine new effects that work every time. These effects become spells, and the spells are spread and taught errywhere. People understand "why" they work, and can conceptualize ways to potentially make new spells or improve spells that already exist (metamagic and such).

> Psionics

Neuromancer, perfect blend of technology and magic, use my rapping so you all can see the hazards plus entertainment where many are brainless.

>American
>Eating a vegtable

That's not a vegetable, user. It's not even really food. French cuisine

>Mental power derived from force of will
>Magical power derived from hard work
Some sort of sorcerer that works off of a mana pool.

Psychic powers in our world is supernatural, it's all magical nonsense in my book. Remote viewing, telepathy, mind bullets and shit, it's internal, other magic is external, casting fireballs from eldritch energy from another dimension, ultimately it's all magic derived from yourself working it all. It's all the same thing. Magic.

>Magic can only come from hard work and never 'force of will'
>Psionics can only come from force of will and never from training or 'hard work'
>Implying every setting has the autistic and retarded Psychic/Wizard/Sorcerer divide
>Implying this shit is acceptable in any way

DnD was a fucking mistake.

It's pretty much just magic.
Psionics is pretty much just themed magic.
Think of it more like the difference between divine and arcane magic or anything else like that.

Cheese

Magic is a good catchall, if you haven't already constrained it to something specific.

>t. contrarian hipsters

Explain without being butthurt and contrarian yourself.

>If you blended psionics and magic together, what's a good word for that?

Magic.

The Force

Just let SW die already
It's been dead, but you keep trying to bring it back

Psijic

Whatever you want to call magic in your setting. The whole idea of this divide is a mistake that requires going back in time and killing the people who ever conceived of the idea.

This is the reason we have fucking caster versus martial bullshit to deal with on top of arcane versus divine.

This.

Psiomancy

You didn't explain what you think psionics means. In any case, you're splitting supernatural from supernatural, so the division is completely arbitrary, as are the combinations. Call them Skubmeisters for all it matters.

Now from what it seems from this post, you're basically, if unconsciously, trying to justify the Wizard/Sorcerer split.
Don't do that. It's not a good idea. It also seems, from your examples, like you envision magic to be mostly fetish work and D&D magic item crafting, while psionic power is innate supernatural ability. That's more workable.

So Mages channel their Anima into magical implements in order to grant them power. Psions are able to develop X-men mutations due to special forms of Anima developed in their bodies. A combination of these two things would be a Mystic who modifies their own body in order to use themselves as magical implements.

Think Tattooed Monks or Fullmetal Alchemist.

While magic and psychic ability can often do the same things, or do different things with similar mechanics, but you can't just say they are the same thing.

Magic tends to work more with symbolic laws and psychic abilities work more with natural laws. Obviously in horror media, modern fantasy, or settings without overt magic psychic powers often deal with spiritual abilities like predicting the future or sensing things, where as in a more science fiction setting psychic powers tend to be either entirely mental or some kind of genetic super-power to control energy and matter.

I essentially wanted to combine some of these aspects in my own setting, but as one mechanic or powerset. Not as 'dude Mages AND mutants lmao'

Then just do it. You're overthinking this.

What? I'm not saying you can't include both psionics and other types of magic. I quite like psionics myself.
It IS fundamentally just a theme and flavour of magic though. Same with concepts of arcane and divine magic or drudic magic. They're only vaguely inspired by real-world concepts of "magic" and the actual differences between them are largely arbitrary and up to the setting.
The whole idea of psychic powers developed out of magical traditions anyway with seers and mystics. It being completely separate NOTmagic has just been pushed in popular media so that it can be used as a sci-fi friendly version of magic.

>you can't just say they are the same thing.
Yes I can, they're both fictional supernatural nonsense. The only difference is the one is always associated with the mind and one is only sometimes associated with the mind.

Whatever it is called in China like "Chi working" or something.

They're different flavors of the same concept.

They can be made into a single set of mechanics by...making them a single set of mechanics.

You're an idiot.

i LIKE DIFFERENTIATING MAGIC AND PSYCHIC POWERS, BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU NEED something AS A CATCHALL TERM FOR SUPERNATURAL POWERS. aND SUPERNATURAL POWERS WON'T CUT IT, SHIT'S LIKE...seven (7) syllables!!

Depends on the culture. Some are comfortable with just calling it "magic". Some feel that's too unscientific and call it "psionics".

Autism

Psynergy, OP.

Power.

moronic

Probably some shit like psychomancy or something

What even are psionics supposed to do that magic can't?

work in a dead magic zone?

Magic

Absolute Fuckery.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

PSIONICS IS A TYPE OF GODDAMN MAGIC IN D&D

IT DOES WORK IN AN AMF!

DRUIDS DO DRUIDRY
CLERICS DO MIRACLES
WIZARDS DO WIZARDRY
PSIONS DO PSIONICS. THEY JUST GET A NOT UTERRLY FUCKED AND FUN WAY TO DO SHIT.

WHY IS THIS A GODDAMN HARD CONCEPT FOR YOU TROGLODYTES
>d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm
NO ONE ON Veeky Forums SHOULD EVEN ATTEMPT TO DISCUSS THIS SHIT UNTIL THEY READ THIS PAGE

>IT DOES WORK IN AN AMF!
DOES NOT I'M SO GODDAMN ANGRY I'M FORGETTING WORDS

Willworking

maybe Theurgy

or make up your own word for it. I like taking bits of protoindoeuropean and smashing them together

Shit.

It's better to call it all magic and then subdivide it into psionic/spiritual/wild/whatever and arcane/hermetic/ritual/etc