Help me out here, Veeky Forums. I need a BBEG for my new campaign...

Help me out here, Veeky Forums. I need a BBEG for my new campaign. The general plot is trying to solve the murder of a baron, and I have everything else but the actual murderer. Any ideas or suggestions to nudge me in the right direction? Pic tangentially related

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Big_Bad_Evil_Guy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The butler did it. The butler always did it. The catch is that he needs the blood of the baron to summon some demon from his ancestors, or gain the ancient magicks sealed away by the family for generations

Make it a whodunnit among the townsfolk, as several people tried to frame each other for the murder. Players can engage in plenty of mystery solving while being forced to come up with a decision for themselves, as each clue leads to another person and another hole.

The townsfolk plotted together to kill him, but made this convoluted plan so that it could never be solved and this his death would become irrelevant with time.

The foreign dignitary did it, but he was possessed by the ghost of the baron's grandfather at the time.

It was his unknown/lost twin brother. He did it to try and take his pace, but it went horribly wrong and he had to change plans.
Plot twist, he regrets it and now is taking his anger out on the world.

The murderer was a previously unknown allergy the Baron had.

>the captain of the guard, who people believe offed the baron since he cut the funding
>the son, poised to inherit the estate
>the messenger from another estate, one that just cancelled a trade contract
>the jealous ex-lover, who has been seen in town recently
>a lumberjack, who has sworn vengeance for mistreatment
>a fellow investigator, who just seems a bit too keen on disproving your claims
>the local ghost, who has been a lot more active in haunting
>the butler, because why not
>fate, it might have been a really weird accident
>the local town nutcase
>the dog

>BBEG

Ugh.

>His daughter, to avoid being married off to a noble she doesn't love.
>His gay lover, bitter about being a dirty secret and enraged when the baron wanted to brake up.
>A peasant, because the baron claimed the first night with his wife.
>A scholar who believes in democracy.

Yo one faggot user who always whines about using BBEG, can you start using a trip so I can filter you? You've obviously been lurking around recently presumably just to post shit like this whenever someone so much as mentions the term BBEG.

ignore him and say BBEG to your hears content, he has no power over you

maybe the baron was killed by the duke, because he didnt want him rising above his station

We've already told you why your shitty opinion is wrong.

If you're not even that guy, then you're even more retarded.

If you keep this up we're going to start reporting you on principle.

>a baron
>everything else
Details?
Drunken master of explaining shit here.
I got references yo.
I could paint you a mural of venice, but that might not help shit.
What do you need, nigga?

Hey, can I also be this one guy you think hates such an easy thing to hate? You seem like you really are hoping people only think one guy thinks your little phrase sounds retarded, like its some sort of endangered animal that needs to be protected.

You haven't explained dick. You can't tell people they're wrong for thinking you sound retarded when you think using "BigBadEvilGuy" isn't cringey as fuck.

Friendly reminder that jerks who enter threads only to criticize use of a term are clearly shitposting and should be reported and ignored.

>51605587
>I have everything else
Do you have motive?

The murderer murdered him for good reason as the baron was a lesser villain under control of the BBEG. The players could find this out after solving the murder and arresting the murderer and then have to save him from execution to help them on the way to beating the real BBEG. Also just for good measure BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG BBEG.

I sincerely hope that you have been sufficiently nudged.
If not, please share some relevant details so we can be of use.

Nah, I'll tell you what's retarded. You're one guy. One guy who thinks it's either funny to do this, or is so brain-dead he thinks he can change the fact that people use an incredibly common and descriptive term for a common character archetype present throughout the whole of not just rpgs, but media as well.

Also, because you keep arguing about the definition, here it is: 1d4chan.org/wiki/Big_Bad_Evil_Guy

The issue is that people have been complaining about "Big Bad Evil Guy" for years. The early complaints seemed to be mostly about the concept itself, with many people disagreeing that a plot needed a character as a central antagonist.

Now, it seems that some of the complaints are about the language. "Big Bad Evil Guy" was coined to sound corny, and is more of an in-joke than a designation like "Central Antagonist." It's also grown to be somewhat vague, with some people using it as the central antagonist, others using it as the final antagonist, and still others using it as simply any antagonist, which can get confusing when trying to communicate about one of these specific ideas.

As far as the shitstorm, I think that comes in part because it takes very little effort to say "BBEG sounds dumb", which is enough to trigger some people who use that phrase. These people then go to say things like "you need to respect this acronym, it's Veeky Forums's acronym, every true fa/tg/uy uses BBEG exclusively," and that gets even people who had no real interest in the matter upset, because it starts to sound like there's people who are actually actively trying to push BBEG.

BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.

the BBEG is a commoner who is the illegitimate child of the baron

ye I'm good, thanks lads

Everyone had plans in place to murder the baron. He was poisoned by four different poisons, cursed twice, bitten by snakes and scorpions hidden in his bed, sniped with a crossbow and crushed with the ceiling rigged to fall.

That would be a rather interesting murder scene, I can certainly say that.

Did your players already made their characters? If not, make one of them secretly a murderer trying to hide his crime by framing someone else.

Whoever your players come up with given the clues. Wing it, man.

The baron was killed by the spirit of sheer narrative fate. There isn't actually a real flesh and blood murderer at this time, but as the party investigates, the spirit will take over whoever would be most dramatically appropriate, and that person will become convinced that they did it and had a motive.

He also commited suicide.

It was the Puppet.

This reminds me of notes I had for a sci-fi campaign. Alien-like transhumans have achieved incredible levels of technology and a bizarre form of "enlightenment".
A few of them watch galactic affairs, but not as benevolent protectors. They rarely interfere, preferring to remain spectators. That's because they fucking love a good story.

Once you've made friends with an ambassador (showing appreciation for the arts is a great starting point), you can try to convince them of the dramatic potential of your quest. If they like your story enough, they're likely to provide you with supernatural-looking help. Say, just enough for you to get back up against all odds during the climatic finale. Not a breadcrumb more.

They have a few "rogue" elements who are so obsessed with stories they just *have* to start and finish shit in whatever ways they deem appropriate for the story they perceive. And they would absolutely get up to this kind of shenanigans. (Thankfully, it's very easy to get an ambassador to help you fix shit a self-inserting rogue started, because they love the symmetry here.)

You can probably substitute transhumans for fey here, OP.

Your whine thread was fucking gassed because of you being a lil' bitch.

Do you wanna be next, faggot?

What happened here when I was under shower??

BBEGfag made a thread and sperged out about people using BBEG
Everyone called him a faggot
Mods put his thread in the oven
BBEGfag proceeds to not get the message and keeps shitposting in other threads

All right, thanks. What's actually his problem with BBEGs?

that shifty little bastard is at it again!

Better to make it their second or third suspect if you go that route.

>whiny bitches upset people were making fun of their pet term
>shitpost about how no one should ever make fun of BBEG until the mods have to step in
>still act like BBEG isn't the gayest phrase ever

That's a little more accurate, BBEGfag.

Baron BBEG just hates the term "BBEG".
Which is fine.
It's stupid and redundant.

But then he specifically goes into any thread where someone has used it and bitches, derailing the thread.
Supposedly, more than one user has done it, but one guy does it religiously.
The reasons for the continued use of the term, as well as why he shouldn't rant or shitpost in unrelated threads, has been explained to him. He just denies the reality like a toddler refusing his bedtime.

Frankly, it's indistinguishable from trolling at this point.
It's best ignored in the future, but Veeky Forums always takes the bait.
Shall we discuss "Who done it mysteries?"
I always try to put a layer of mystery in my games, but I can't remember doing a straight up murder mystery.
I like settings with magic, and a lot of magic, divination especially, tends to simplify mysteries.

>one post is enough to derail a thread

You BBEG apologists are kind of sad, especially when it's more of your replies that demand everyone to respect your phrase that gets the shitstorm started.
If some people don't like your phrase, why do you insist on making it such a big issue, to the point where you rant for hours in order to defend the phrase?

>one post is enough to derail a thread
Indeed it is. Exactly how new are you?

>BBEG apologists
Nothing to apologize for.
It's just a shorthand term.
Also, I said the term is stupid and redundant.

>your replies that demand everyone to respect your phrase
Citation needed.

>that gets the shitstorm started.
Nobody starts off this tired argument by stating how they hate people hating on BBEG.
It starts when Baron BBEG, or a troll like him, ignores the thread topic to bitch about how someone used a term he doesn't like.

>If some people don't like your phrase, why do you insist on making it such a big issue
>If some people like a phrase, why do you insist on making it such a big issue, to the point where you rant for hours?
We should just ignore each other.

>defend the phrase?
Again, we're not defending the phase, we're calling you an asshole for being an asshole.
I for one have done it calmly, by pointing out the obvious factual errors in delusional posts like yours when I feel like killing some time.
Not that big a deal.

But you probably don't even care about the term and just like to argue.
That would explain the glaringly apparent contrarian way you replied.

Pity.
I wanted to talk about mysteries.

Damn it.
Sorry.
My bad.
Sometimes I wish deleting a post would un-bump a thread.

You're trying to apologize for people who make dumb rants to defend something you agree is dumb, and then trying to say it's people who say its dumb are bad because they shouldn't be triggering the people who are retarded and need to pretend it's not dumb.

You need some brain help, cause you brain fucked.

>A complete stranger who wanted only to cause a murder mystery before leaving the area
>Serial killer, could add more victims, give the players a new angle, let them do stakeouts or what have you.
>Butler, lead pipe, bedroom.

Bbeg-haterfag, who I'm not even going to try to appease with (you)'s: how about this, from now on, you use a browser extension that auto changes "BBEG" to "Primary/central Antagonist" that way, your Jimmies aren't rustled, and nobody else has to put uip with your whiney "wrongbadfun-I-don't-like-(thing)-therefore-thing-is-wrong-and-retarded" trite?

This sounds reasonable, and is therefore the least likely thing he's going to do.

the baron killed himself. they find a note detailing the suicide.

>I just couldnt take it anymore
>these literal faggots kept asking me be the dungeon master for some retarded game called dungeons and dragons
>they wouldnt stop asking me, calling me night and day
>im glad to say its all going to be over soon

I know it's cliche, but A monkey...
No better yet...an ape,..
NO WAIT EVEN BETTER...BIGFOOT.

>it was an elaborate suicide
>it was a prank gone horribly wrong by local children
>it was a member of the party, who spent their time trying to cover it up