Are there any games you'd like to play but for whatever reason you're pretty certain you never will?

Are there any games you'd like to play but for whatever reason you're pretty certain you never will?

>Nobilis
>lack of usual dice rolling puts off a bunch of players

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D&T
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>thinking dice are somehow remotely important for RPGS

You shouldn't play with subhumans any way, OP.

I think they're just comfortable in their World of Darkness game and don't want to try anything new.

>Exalted
I want to be a player in an exalted game but I have a bad case of Forever GM
>A bunch of WoD games
But I can't because my players and I have very little experience with RPG systems

Role-Play systems. Not RPG systems fucking phone

I read through the rules of Nobilis, and I still don't quite understand what's meant to actually happen in a game. So I'm part of the problem, I guess.

The version I read also had art that looked a lot worse than your image.

That'd be the new edition. Shit art (I heard one of the people they hired got caught tracing anime or something) but apparently the rules are tidier.

Lots of them.
My players refuse to touch anything that isn't D&D 3.5 or 3D&T

that sucks. why?

* Noumenon. I'd like to play, not run, it, and I'm the only one in my group interested in weird RPGs and the only one with a fluid understanding of English.
* Kult: my players find it too dark.
* Apotheosis Drive X: my players just don't get mecha.
* Invisible Sun: I really, REALLY like the premise, but the execution goes against what I believe roleplaying products should be.

I'm still hoping to run Nobilis for my guys. I just find it hard to grok.

*fluent understanding. It doesn't actually ebb and flow, unless I'm drinking.

I think they are confortable with it.
Like we play 3D&T when we want something more Beers-and-Pretzels-y and when we want a longer/more-role-play-y game we play d&d.
And truth is, it works. The rules are already know, character creation, combat, etc are as smooth as they could be due to system familiarity and surprisingly enough we often use stuff from obscure books or make homebrews, instead of sticking to the most common stuff so we aren't actually repeating content.

I own the physical books to about 40 role playing games, and have only played about 8 of them for any length of time, 12 with one shots included. I'd like to play all of them, to be honest, but I can't get people to agree to play anything with me, let alone some of the weirder stuff.

a fucking lot, most of my friends only play that one obscure roleplaying game that a hots piece of shit

>Shit art (I heard one of the people they hired got caught tracing anime or something)
You're on the right track, but the actual story is much more hilarious.

Regale us?

Really about the same as in most rpgs just larger then life.

Think the sandman and things like American gods. Or something like "Zeus and Thor decide to chill out with gilgamesh in new york." Then think of what can go wrong and you have a game of Nobilis in a nutshell.

One of the illustrators was tracing Touhou fanart, people started snarking about it in Veeky Forums and someone on rpg.net eventually made a thread about the shitty illustrations, which is how the devs realized.

Burning Wheel and Wild Talents

I'd play with you

L5R. Yes, I realize it's decently popular, but literally no one in my community of potential players is even remotely interested in it. I think they sadly just see it as weeaboo central.

>Unplayable

Yep. Nobilis is at the top of that list too.

Who are you quoting?

Iron Kingdoms and my Fallout PnP.

>Iron Kingdoms
My usual group had finished a campaign not too long ago. They probably won't want to run it again. I know the setting well, but I couldn't write a campaign to save my life.

>Fallout PnP
Similar reason, except now it's that the other guys don't know the setting very well. I might be able to help write a campaign but it probably wouldn't be the game I was looking to play. Plus I still have to finish the rules.

The lack of dice isn't the problem with Nobilis. The problem is that the system requires the players to learn a completely different language from any other RPG to describe their characters and their relationship to the game world, and the game world itself is absolutely unlike any other setting the players will have seen, with no basis for comparison. The GM is left with almost no idea how to actually build a campaign or actually create challenges and a story to engage the players.

The only thing I can think of to compare it to actually the Filthy Frank universe. Both are full of magical lords representing specific concepts, traveling between universes in a battle for all creation.

Oh yeah everyone has that problem, the "okay but what do you DO with nobilis" thing. In theory there may be a 4e coming that addresses these issues. But it hasn't been finalized or anything yet.

Also you're not supposed to know that said 4e exists yet, so...

>* Invisible Sun: I really, REALLY like the premise, but the execution goes against what I believe roleplaying products should be.

Then you're in luck. From what we know about the actual game, it's just a reskinned version of the cypher system, which you should be able to play using material that already exists without buying the product itself.

>The lack of dice isn't the problem with Nobilis. The problem is that the system requires the players to learn a completely different language from any other RPG to describe their characters and their relationship to the game world, and the game world itself is absolutely unlike any other setting the players will have seen, with no basis for comparison. The GM is left with almost no idea how to actually build a campaign or actually create challenges and a story to engage the players.
So the only way to learn how to run Nobilis is to play in a game run by someone who knows how to run Nobilis?

Nobilis the book contains the fluff and the rules, but Nobilis the game is pure oral tradition?

>Nobilis the book contains the fluff and the rules, but Nobilis the game is pure oral tradition?

That's a beautiful way of putting it. And actually consistent with the themes and setting of the game.

What is 3d&t

Yeah, Nobilis is definitely up there. I'd love to try it, but there's just no interest in a game like that. Don't think I'll ever get to play it.
I'd also like to try UESRPG, and even though it seems like that would be easier to talk people into playing there's seemingly no will amongst my group to try anything that isn't a well known system.

But right now my group is locked in a months-long GURPS campaign, so we won't be doing anything else for a good while.

My group's pretty comfortable with experimentation. I could have players for any game I want to GM.

Getting someone else to run something I want to play, on the other hand, is much more difficult.

GURPS
Anima
FATE Core
HERO
Modiphius Conan
Ars Magicka
Talsorian Witcher RPG
Any detailed published setting (like Forgotten Realms or Planescape or Spelljammer or Eberron) that isn't run through an adventure path.

Well. It looks like there's enough people here who want to play Nobilis that honestly someone should just start a group on roll20 or something.

The main gathering places for Nobilis people, as best I can tell, are the rpg.net threads and the geostatonary.tumblr.com and eternity-braid.tumblr.com cluster of Tumblr folk; the latter run a Discord server that, for historical reasons, is invite-only (although actually getting an invite is trivial; you just ask for one).

>Well. It looks like there's enough people here who want to play Nobilis that honestly someone should just start a group on roll20 or something.

You must be new here. "Nobody I know is running it" doesn't mean "I want to run it", it means "I want someone else to run it for me".

See the Eclipse Phase General for a superb example of this in action.

>Nechronica
In addition to being considered weeb trash and not fully translated there's a sexual association with anime children... so that's out of the window. That fucking replay doesn't help. One of my friends said she'd sooner play Zettai Reido than Nechronica.
>Noumenon
Beings without being nor memory stuck in a metaphor using their insect-like attribute and skills from a past life (or lack thereof) to explore what the Silhouette Rogue is, solve Nine enigmas and possibly escape this ultimate question. HOLY SHIT IS IT WEIRD AND HOLY SHIT DO I LOVE IT. I have no delusions that I will ever be able to run or play this. There's a distinct air of quality to the book itself without it being pompous and its one of the only games where I see a constantly shift in tone within the rules and writing is a good thing. However I will never be a good enough GM and no one I know will bite down on the strangeness that is this masterpiece.
>Dogs in a Vineyard
Whilest the setting is easily described enough I imagine most people would see it as dull. However the concepts present in the game are so inpressive I can't help but hope this pipe dream will come to life some day.

>Princess: The Hopeful
Never played WoD
Have a hard time imagining I can get a group together to play WoD magical girls
Not sure it would even be as fun as it seems.

>Strike!
It seems fun and I'll try to get my group to give it a shot, but we're probably going to go from PF straight to D&D 5e

I want to try New Gods of Mankind, but I don't fucking know what kind of stoy make as a GM. I kind of just want to play as a god myself, but that's not happening, the one who introduces the game is who GMs in my group.

>I think they sadly just see it as weeaboo central.
Well, that's what it is.

Ditto. It requires a lot of buy-in from players it seems, and voluntarily ceding agency for things (i.e. negative mental balance) is not something my group would even consider. I'm not too exited about the new version either.

Brazilian rpg.
The full name is Defensores de Toquio.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D&T

>Magical Girls
I'm in.

>WoD
What's a WoD?

Is there an English release? Now I'm curious.

>WoD
Either an interesting vampire/changeling setting full of conspiracies with shit mechanics, or a mediocre generic low-ish powered system with a setting that's just defined enough to restrict what you can do as GM without enough detail or support to make it with the sacrifice of sticking to a setting.

Noumenon.

>L5R
Group is very interested in the system but hates Japan too much to ever play it

>Legends of the Wulin
Pls publish revised edition
pls

>Traveller
"What the fuck user, there's six dozen editions of this bullshit"

You could always make the L5R setting more like Korea. warring states China, or even Mongolia/Tibet/Nepal/Bhutan.

Deadlands. My players think westerns are lame and too "american".

Ah. That's on my list of 'never again' games.

I'm not particularly interested in the setting and I hate the core benny-reliant classic system and updated SW. SW is better than classic though.

Sadly no english release.
It's a really funny system to play, very simplified.
Very easy to break over your knee if you are trying to, but not due to the usual suspects (magic, wishes, etc).

I'm with you on Apothesis Drive X. But my reason is I won't give money to David Hill.

Gotcha. I don't speak Portuguese, so no English means it's off the table for me.

Oh.

More I wish I could play

Alshard fortissimo
Arianrhod
Log Horizon

And as for why not? No English release, and I don't speak Japanese.

I really want to run a fantasy version of the first Japanese invasion of Korea with L5R.

>not playing glorious supernatural Domion and/or North-West Mounted Police mounties Always Getting Their Man
>not playing a group of exiled Japanese ronin mercenaries roaming the West for fortune and plunder
>not playing Dog Child: the Samurai Injun with a burden to bear and a debt to pay

Degenesis
It's a hard setting to sell to my players since it seems to require a lot of reading and some of them can't read english very well.

If you're familiar with American Gods it wouldn't be too hard.

I'm pretty sure the weaboo faggotry would put them off worse

Any game where I'm not GM

But in all seriousness Conan, my players that like fantasy need "muh DnD magic is as common as a coke can is today" and my other players don't like fantasy at all.

I thought Moran was busy with Chuubo?

A that point you might as well just play something like Qin: The Warring States, though. Speaking of OP that's also something I'll never get to play.

Back when we played WoD no one gave a toss about throwing dice. The GM rolled everything behind the screen and usually only to give the illusion of random chance.

So, not a role-playing game at all. Just freeform roleplay.

Yeah. WoD was, in our minds at least, the freeform system of choice. We played a lot of systems with very heavy rules as well though and those were preferred when we wanted more realistic and gritty games.

The one thing none of us couldn't stand was systems that fell somewhere in between. That is, rules heavy systems with a lot of needless abstractions.

But WoD isn't a freeform system. It's a rules medium system with poorly defined target number guidelines.

>FantasyCraft
I love this game, but it's fairly complex and I have only one group member that's autistic enough to enjoy that. As a bonus I really want to play it in a Warcraft setting and and have no one interested in that.

>GURPS
Again, only one group member autistic enough to enjoy the massive point buy and million rules and I don't think I'll ever run it because even after reading the rules it feels like I need a "How to use GURPS" book to properly understand how to run it successfully.

>B/X D&D
I like 5e, my group likes 5e, and I doubt they'd be willing to play a much older, simpler system.

Son, that doesn't matter because that's not how we played it. The rules are poorly written, and not particularly good even when using them as intended, and the books constantly put emphasis on storytelling over dicerolling. All of this led us to freeform it.

The problem is actually having a Korea in L5R.

L5R's setting is riddled with mistakes in the way only a setting made in the '90s by weebs that considered themselves authorities in Japanese culture from watching some hardsubbed VHS anime tapes and reading half of a samurai pop history book can be, but one of the biggest errors is making the setting so completely closed to foreign contact.

>It's not thing because we played it wrong.

You really showed him, man.

If you honestly think that you can play a tabletop rpg wrong you might need to ask your parents if they ever dropped you as a baby.

Could you explain what you mean about invisible sun?

I meant that as in he was playing by different rules than RAW, then claimed that the game is something else entirely solely because he plays it differently. It's like saying American football isn't a violent sport because you exclusively play flag football.

It's sold as like 200 dollar kickstarter exclusive for a game that's basically his older Cypher System with a bunch of bells and whistles.

It's so wild I almost look at it as some sort of avant-garde art rather than an actual game. Kind of cool. No way I'll ever buy it though, but I'll watch it from a distance with curiosity.

You were playing a completely different game. If you're not using most of the rules of a game, you're not playing that game.

It's not soccer if you get rid of the nets and let people throw the ball with their hands, either.

>mistakes

Pretty sure it was done on purpose.
Heck, in their European swashbuckling game, most of the Asian seas were sealed off behind a great wall of fire.