/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
"Phoenix sorcerer" edition.
So, now that we've got sorcerers out of the way, warlocks are next. What patrons should we expect? We already have fiends, fey, undead and chtulchu, and we probably shouldn't discount the ones from Arcana - undying light and seekers, because as sorcerer and fighter arcanas shown us, they might rework the old stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata-V1.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>"Phoenix sorcerer" edition
You mean "Shit" edition?
Turn Mantle into a toggle at will and Spark into once per short rest and it's only marginally better than storm at that point.

> 1.45 MB pdf
I wonder who could be behind this post.

Some friends are convinced PF is actually good and they think 5e is babby's first D&D, how are they wrong?

> 5e is babby's first D&D
They're not wrong here.
> PF is actually good
You need better friends.

They have shit taste but in a lot of ways 5e is babby's first D&D. It's actually significantly better at being an intro game than 3e ever was.

It's just that the previous babby's first D&D required you to be on the spectrum to even make functional characters.

Just throwing a question out there about Adventure maps. More to point the ones released with the 5e Out of the Abyss storyline. I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere. That has the maps broken down so they can be printed off and pieced back together at a much larger size.

Because clearly all people are interested in are raw numbers and not the fairly interesting character possibilities.

They're rollplayers.

That's fine.

Sorcerer uses spll points, combined with sorcerer points.
Points gained as normal as per spellcasting variant
Choose one 7,8,9 spell at appropriate level, instead of learning them Cast once each for no points per long rest.

Makes them more versatile in their own way, but differently than wizards

They seem to think all classes are equally good in PF; especially all classes are equal in dealing damage.
They won't give 5e the time of day because they seem to think PF is mechanically superior.

>They seem to think all classes are equally good in PF; especially all classes are equal in dealing damage.
Time for that greentext again!

Aside from killing your party members how is it more interesting than fire dragon sorcerer outside of fluff?

Lets forget how powerful being able to survive any amount of catastrophic damage with 1hp is.

Not but to further clarify...

PF is a badly designed system. It was promised as a fix to 3.5e problem but not only they didn't fix it, they actually make the caster-martial disparity worst by buffing Wizard.

Also they continue to keep buffing Wizard with each iteration of their monthly release rule book with new spells (even in the book about martials and weapons).

Anyone can see that the designer has a boner for Wizard and hate the idea of martials being able to do anything. They even nerf something due to the fact that their nerdy untrained 250lb+ lump of fat can't do it.

Martials can't do anything in PF.
Caster can do everything.

"Damage" doesn't matter when you're a Wizard who can use Save-or-lost spell (which available since level 1) on a group of enemies. While being absolute safe due to being Fly,Invisible and spontaneously create barrier simutaneously.

Seriously... if you want to know how bad PF is... just take a peek at /pfg/. Posting furry kitsune and discussing about cute girl doing cute thing on TTRPG is their way of escapism.

Think you got the systems mixed up.

Sad af story though, it's sad af people like that exist.

They specifically think martials are gucci in PF, thanks to the number of feats they get (which are really fucking poorly designed, you want 5e style consolidated feats) and advanced combat training and the damage the martial classes can put out.

Sure am glad 5e casters actually have to rely on their party instead of just being one-man-armies.

That being said, they're still too versatile when it comes to "I have a spell to completely replace that skill you invested a bunch of character points into!"

>Survival? Fuck it, create food and food water.
>Stealth? Invisibility lol.
>Disguise? Disgusie self/alter self
>Diplomacy? LOL CHARM.
>Climb/Swim/Acrobatings. Lol Teleporting/flying.

Man... sometimes I think the game would be better if all the schools except Evocation and Abjuration were just removed from the game entirely, or at least given their own caster classes instead of the "do everything" wizard.

3.5 and Pathfinder are barely any different at all.

Is Jesus a necromancer, or a favored soul sorcerer?

I can not count the times I've clicked on a spoiler and my phone starting to download it, anymore
For this I hate you and I hate myself

While you aren't wrong, they DID take steps to help non-casters out of combat, while lowering the spellcasting versatility drastically.

Plus, IN combat is better than ever, excluding the unmentionable edition.

3.5 is actually more mechanically competent than PF, mostly because the devs of PF intentionally sabotage their own games.

He's our lord and saviour, user, the son of God who redeemed us through his sacrficie.

BUT user, WEAPON CORDS ARE HARD

Trust me on this, I went to college.

they kinda fix that with charm person target knowing that it been charm (and also the fact that charm only give you advantage to diplomacy check).

same thing with invisibility, you still have to make a stealth check. You just doesn't have to find a cover to hide.

When you can only do it a single time, not very.
There's a reason why Long Death monk's 11 is actually good, and why it would be extreme garbage trash if you could only do it once per fucking long rest.

pretty sure he's favored soul, since he has create food and water.

Yeah but if I made him into a 5eg PC what would his class be?

Charm is brain rape and recognized as such. Teleport is highly unreliable, flight won't get a mage out of a grapple (lol, concentration), invisibility doesn't cover sound and afair disguise self isn't better than disguise skill to begin with.

t. Fat tub of lard who has no agility.

People have saying 5e is pretty bland; is this true in any way? And how would you fix it?

>What patrons should we expect?
In my ideal world, they'd just do more invocations. New patrons are no use to me halfway through a campaign.

Elder brain.

This. I'm pretty hyped about new subclasses that'll be in the next book, but I'm much more excited about new spells, new manuevers for battlemaster, new invocations, new pact boons, new feats and all of that.

but that's the interesting bit. Resurrecting in a burst of fire is kinda cool too.

Allow UA and some of the homebrew (not from DandDwiki though).

Also learn to refluff. It's part of 5e design choice.

He can bring a mortal back from death, he can banish demons from the material plane, and he can cure people of disease and restore severed ears. Maybe he's more of a cleric?

Psionic/Illithid
Celestial
Elemental
Slaad

The NEW favored soul from yesterday's UA gets access to the full cleric spell list from 1st level, in addition to the sorcerer list.

Kind of. 5e options are designed to be a lot broader and more all-encompassing; it's an intentional design choice to streamline things and avoid redundant/trap options and hilariously broken combos, but if you're used to 3.PF and having options for every single bit of minutiae, I can understand why it'd seem bland.

Mantle of fire apply to every damage roll you make. No "one damage roll" limitation like draconic sorcerer.

What makes 5e bland though?

Good suggestions.

Let me take another pass at this, since I like the idea of sacrificing HP for Ki.

Bonesaw's Brilliant Band

You can activate this item as a Bonus Action on your turn, taunting enemies to "Bring it on". Until the beginning of your next turn, any missed attack rolls made against you become hits. At the start of your next turn, you regain Ki points equal to 1/4th of the damage you received as long as you aren't Incapacitated. This ability can be used once per short or long rest.

5e only looks bland from the outside, especially when viewed from a bloated mess of a game.

A problem has to actually exist before it can be fixed, unless you're in politics

Max, vas te coucher.

Not him, but what you're saying is...people are retards?

It's simple and clean

It will look bland if you come from a system that has shit ton of minor bonus for every little situation. Like Shadowrun

More specifically that pathfags are retards, but yes.

Pretty much.
I mean, wanting more options is a valid choice and reason that people wouldn't want to play 5e! It's just that when people present it as an objective flaw and don't understand why it's been done, they mark themselves as mouthbreathers.

HOLD ME
WHATEVER LIES BEYOND THIS MORNING

Yes

People think 5e is bland because they're used to having a mechanical effect to every piece of character design, and because they're used to higher possible power levels.

5e streamlines those myriad mechanical effects because they're stupid bookkeeping better accomplished through roleplay, and has a bounded power level.

Neither of these things need fixing, but even if you tried, you'd just fuck everything up because they're core to the system's design.

I can now play an eternally youthful sorcerer who charms people with their youthfulness?

Great!

When can we have a kitsune race in 5e next?

Ne'er. Thine dreams shalt remain memes, thou scurrilous cur.

> posting 15 years old relic

refluff half-elf into one?

How does 5e compare to Strike!?

>Main Theme to a game released less than a month ago
>Relic
Get up on the hydra's back.

refluff tabaxi into one?

>What patrons should we expect?

I don't know what patron to expect, but what I really want is a skill based one, that gives me viable Multiclassing options for Lore Bard 19 and 20 other than just going knowledge cleric

> that gives me viable Multiclassing options for Lore Bard 19 and 20
Your kind is the worst.

Sorcerer spells, now with UA options!
They're literally just elemental archetypes, nothing surprising I think.

I'd say that Earth sorcerer being a Cha-based port of 4e's Swordmage is pretty surprising.

Sea sorcerer or Favored soul?

It's a cool concept but I think the mechanic as it is now is really poorly designed.

>Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals damage of the type associated with your draconic ancestry, add your Charisma modifier to that damage.

> Whenever you roll fire damage on your turn, the roll gains a bonus to equal to your Charisma modifier.

The only situations I can think of where they're different is spells that do flat amounts of fire damage benefit from dragon and spells that buff weapons / items (Flame arrows from Elemental Evil) benefit from phoenix, Though I'm not sure either will ever matter in any build.

I meant the spells, fire sorcerer gets fire spells, sea gets water/storm spells, stone gets stone/earth/weapon spells.

So, my DM doesn't care and is letting me be a Theurgist.

What's the best choice for a domain here?

Should dwarves get the stonecunning bonus to Nature checks to identify natural stone?

Is it meant to be FF as seen through the lense of 4e?

Scorching ray has you roll for fire damage for each ray.

Maybe. Those are just the expansion classes/roles.

Stick together a class and a role, and voile, you have a combat build.

How come? If it's because of "muh level 20 builds", I ask because we legitimately run level 20 one shots a few times a year.

Draconic sorcerer got errata user. Get your fact up-to-date

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata-V1.pdf

good god....
I think reading those gave me cancer

Depends on what you want to do with it, honestly. Until 6th level you're mainly interested in the Domain spells, because Divine Arcana tends to be more useful than your domain CD option.

So, what level are you starting at and what do you ultimately want to DO with this character, in terms of both abilities and RP?

It actually won't save you from instant death damage, and effects that kill if they reduce you to 0 hp might still trigger. Anything less than that though, sure. The DMG rates this ability as worth 28 hp on a monster past level 17, iirc.

Long game : Arcana (It gets silly because of the level 14 deal)
Low level game : Tempest (yes I will fire 48 flat damage lightning bolts at level 5)

Light is also spicy for radiant damage stuff.

Life is boring but clutch if there's no other healer.

Here's a fun way to help me explain classes to new players.

Describe a class and race by mechanics in a single sentence, e.g.

>Drow: light weapons training, free light and darkness spells, disadvantage in sunlight.
>Rogues: Sneak attacks and features for trying not to get hit.

Fighters : Faggots with polearms
Dwarfs : Faggots with beards

You don't resurrect so much as barely survive.

>Dragonborn: elemental resistance and breath weapon based on dragon color
>Barbarian: Get angry, Fight Harder, all while naked

Don't you still only roll the damage of scorching ray once which means they do the same damage?

If I'm wrong and they nerfed fire dragon just to add phoenix that's pretty xD worthy.

On a side note, Mantle of Flame is much stronger than dragon sorcerer for spells like Fire shield and Immolation because they have multiple damage rolls per cast.

>Variant Human: a minmaxer's wet dream with no accompanying fluff.
>Rogue: a stealthy skill monkey, but all fluff is that of a brazen criminal.

Scorching ray is multiple attack rolls, each with their own damage roll on hit

Too bad fire is the second shittiest damage type in the game. D. Sorc doesn't have to pick fire thankfully.

>Wizard: The bookish nerd who gets shoved in the lockers now has superpowers from reading his books
>High Elf: The same bookish nerd, but irish and with more spells and an easier time to get out of the locker

You are confusing scorching ray with magic missile brah. You need "strike simultaneously" text or some shit (ask JC not me) to only roll damage once.

It's already here. Refer to Tabaxi

So when a monk reaches level 11 all her unarmed strikes are the same damage die as the highest damage monk weapon? What's the point of using weapons then?

>what's the point in an unarmed class using weapons?

Magic weapon.

There is none. Also
> her

>On a side note, Mantle of Flame is much stronger than dragon sorcerer for spells like Fire shield and Immolation because they have multiple damage rolls per cast
It only works on fire damage rolls that take place on your turn right now so some of those won't benefit at all.