Runewars TMG

What does Veeky Forums think of the new FFG rank and file minis game?

It looks meh.

It's a really lame WHFB esque game with lots of fiddly parts that are mandatory. Call me when there are more than four factions. Otherwise I am much better off playing Kings of War or something. That game at least lets me opt to not use ugly official figures.

Ehh I like the WoW-esque cartoon aesthetic of the humans I like skeletons even more personally. However what I don't like is all the order dial screens on the board, stat cards, unique dice, and only having two factions at launch.

Kings of war, old school whfb, look to me to provide a sleeker less cluttered system with a much larger possibility for more beautiful and much more customizable models on the board.

I just don't like template movement. It works for xwing, but even then I feel it's fairly unwieldy and cluttered. I never once thought "gee, it would be great if this dozen templates that I need a sorting tray for merely one game were put in other games"

KoW at least handles rank and file movement simply and efficiently

There was an attempt

I don't really hate the aesthetic of the figures personally. The overall design and engineering is what bugs me. You can see multiple identical twins within a single unit. Meanwhile Games Workshop, Mantic, and undoubtedly others ensure that you won't have guys who look exactly the same in a twenty man regiment with their kits.

Hard to say, can only describe my impressions from FFG demo on last GenCon

You wanna elaborate?

Well, if user wants.
Models:
- Design is generic WoW-like aesthetics (they even made Garithos miniature)
- Skellies looks really sweet, not sure about plastic quality, but they designed much better than AoS undead infantry (especially musicians since they using drums, not trumpets)
- Humans looks very meh, I think it because FFG trying to make their own miniatures, not hiring some third party studio (or they didn't want to throwing a lot of money in their debut )
- Yet still I really want to see other races, since Doom had very nice models
Game:
- Well it's FFG so the game have their own jewish fetish (I mean special dices)
- Mostly game system needs more than one game to show all pros and cons
- Movement phase which mostly cames from X-wing. You know what I liked it, I mean it's fast (but may be because I played X-wing a lot) and it's really looks like maneuvers, unlike bunch of linear moves like in GW or Mantic games.
- Modular trays are awesome idea, I mean you can split unit very quick
- The thing which still concerns me is units disks, in X-wing it worked well since allowed to show not-obvious, but real difference between ships maneuvering.
Well, that's all I think.

Miniatures -

The concept is cool. Reminds me of HOMM5 concept art. The execution though is less than adequate to be called a miniature game, and rest more of the X-wing toy-stamp.

Rules -

From what I can tell, it plays like X-wing... like literally exactly like X-wing, in medieval fantasy. With all the little maneuver stuffs and custom dice to boot.

I like the idea of "puzzle regiments" they got going though, but I have enough "real" miniature wargames to last me a lifetime of painting to bother (and I already play X-wing and Armada... so why bother?).

FFG shouldn't be allowed to make original IP.
It never works.
They should stick to licenses.

>FFG shouldn't be allowed to make original IP.
>It never works.
Yeah because Silver Tower totalky killed Descent.

Was hoping for something new, got something even more expensive than warhammer... WTF

>got something even more expensive than warhammer.
Wut?

>Reminds me of HOMM5 concept art.
Unfortunately only undead, I really wanted to see HoMM5-like humans.

You get 2 "armies" for $100 and expansion packs are $25. That's like 1/10 of the price of WHFB kek

Seriously considering picking it up solely for that reason

Well from his side he is right.

It sadden me that there is no good Skirmish Fantasy Game out there.

Dragon Rampant. Otherworld Fantasy. Song of Blades and Heroes. Rack & Ruin. Not the biggest fan of Mordheim or Reaper Warlord, but they both have people playing them. Mantic is developing a Kings of War skirmish. Look harder.

Rules. Not miniatures. Steampunk, Diselpunk, Science-Fiction has game with both nice miniature and okay rules. Fantasy has only rules. And anything Reaper is almost impossible to get here anyway.

You honestly think there are literally no good fantasy miniatures out there?
Sort yourself out mate.

No. Or at least not worth the time and the money to get them.

I pity you

That's your problem, and your lack of taste, then.

Isntead of pity why don't show me this 'good fantasy miniatures".
And AoS, Warmahordes and Malifaux doesn't count. None of them are Fantasy.

Nahm8, you're a fuckwit. Get your shit opinions out of here.

>None of them are Fantasy

How fucking stupid are you?

Interesting experiment, miniatures looks kind of meh/okay.
Modular trays are fucking brilliant idea.

Warmahordes is Steampunk.
Malifaux is Diselpunk.
AoS is ... AoS, you like it or you hate it. I don't like a single miniature of it.

>Steampunk
Dude. No. Nothing punk about it.

1: where in the world are you
2: post what you consider a 'good' miniature

warmahordes is full metal fantasy. They say it right inside the book.

And I was going to recommend Wrath of Kings before I realized that you weren't serious

This. There are a few robots who fluffwise are powered by steam, but there aren't giant gears or anything. Meanwhile there are demons, zombies, fairies, and other shit that more than qualifies Malifaux as a fantasy game.

>worse miniatures than Mantic that are more expensive than Mantic miniatures
I like the style, but 2 poses on the cav looks fucking horrible. They should have done 1 pose, like old chaos knights and 2 different heads or weapons or whatever. Or 4x1 pose and 1 champion. The other units are meh-ok, the heroes are actually good, but I can't get over how disgusting the cav looks. Armies made of reaper bones miniatures look better than this...

AoS, WHFB, some Mantic, Scibor, Hasslefree, Lead Adventure, Warmonger, some shieldwolf, northstar, warmahordes, the 2 samurai fanatsy systems (iirc bushido and another one), gw lotr, reaper, dark sword...
You're just retarded m8.

What are modular trays? I don't see anything

The movement trays that look like puzzle pieces, so you can split up a unit if you feel like it. Of course people have been making those for WHFB for a while, so I don't see why they are worth noting.

Generic as fuck. No lasting setting appeal.

I watched some bits of a demo game. The two sided rune tokens doesn't looks appealing to me.

You pretty much described KoW for me.

>I like the style, but 2 poses on the cav looks fucking horrible.
This I can't understand. Even if they sculpted master models in greenstuff instead of going directly to 3D models it is still not that hard to repose them on a computer. And if they did only 3D sculpts not doing more poses is just laziness.

Didn't seem to notice this has all been done before: D&D attack wing. Wizkids took this licensed game behind the shed and nail gunned it.

FFG have meh figures that you have to paint. If I want 47 figures to paint I'll pay the same money and get one of the 30k board games.

FLGS isn't touching this game as NO ONE asked for it. They liked D&D attack wing, but for skirmish. For mass battle with movement trays Mantic already does it with Kings of War, cheaper, more races and better figures without a table full of tokens, dials and shit dice