/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous Thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/winter-flu-goes-to-the-dogs-edition-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question
have you ever used any of the night horror books?

Dark Archon, #9253

>have you ever used any of the night horror books?
The Mage and Changeling ones had easy to drop in NPCs that were rich with material to expand on to make it more unique. There is usually enough for most of them to be able to get enough off book so players can't auto win by reading the Night Horrors supplements.

Is this from one of the 20th anniversary books? If so, it's even more of a reason for me to avoid them.

The mage 20th was an extra special disaster mostly because Phil Brucato wrote AND edited the mess of a tome
>WHY DID I PAY $375 FOR THIS UNPLAYABLE GIANT MESS? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW
its because I'm retarded

That is 100% from M20, trust me, I have the physical copy right next to me.

Is it true that WW has been hiring Troika people, and has the MMO assets? I need those hair and clothing physics in my vidya life.

That's what Dracula said anyway. He is a dirty LARPer though, so he could just be running his mouth.

That's rough buddy. How are you holding up?

Shouldn't they have included a trigger warning for that?

We all had hope user. We all got burnt. Phil is the nefaindia we all missed. Who knew that hoping for structured rules, we'd instead get 700 of his fucking blog!?

>Is this from one of the 20th anniversary books? If so, it's even more of a reason for me to avoid them.

Don't hate on V20 and W20; they're actually pretty good, all things considered (though obviously there's flaws with them), and C20 and W20 might end up being just as good.

But M20... I still wake up screaming and crying over the fucking atrocious mess that is M20.

After the doctors pulled out the blub I was able to see it for what it was. My eyes they were blind, or was it merely my own denial? rancid confused rambling thw words of a madman trying to false front facade progressive material to hide his spunk of an excuse of a rules system. I still have the nightmares from time to time. Less when I can shove it into a trunk in the basement

"It's just 700pages user why can't everyone just read it?" ~fag who still didn't understand magic and failed his exams a year later

Wr20 should be good when it finally comes out.

>Payin $375 for a book
You always must have known this was a retarded idea.

How might they fare as hunters?

Would a band of mercs hunting things like werewolves hiding in gravel mines be an interesting campaign?

That little ball of hope deep down inside from when I had fun playing mage tricked me into believing. Up till then the Onyx Path WoD kick starters hadn't even been total failures (Beast was still a ways off, Not counting Exalted).
Demon was cool and I enjoyed reading Mummy even if I'm not sure how to play it.

>That's what I get for having hope, let this be a lesson to you all. Everything sucks shit forever.

>Wr20 should be good when it finally comes out.

I sure hope so; I've got pretty high hopes for it, especially since (IIRC) it'll be including some Orpheus bits.

>How might they fare as hunters?
>Would a band of mercs hunting things like werewolves hiding in gravel mines be an interesting campaign?

Depends on what kind of hunters they'd be. WoD hunters? CofD hunters? Regular mortal hunters, and so on.

But if we assume they'll just be "normal" humans with no superpowers or Numina, then I'd say that they could actually do a pretty good job; they synergize well with one another, and they all bring good weapons and talents to the table.

I'm fairly certain there are orpheus bits, I think it came up in a update not that long ago. plus there's that cute 'ear play' orpheus thing. Honestly it looks kinda fun, even if it's a phone 'game', I'll give it a try.

Normal humans is what I'd prefer.
What about statting them up individually?
What kind of stats would, say, the heavy have?
Sorry if this doesn't entirely fit the board, but at least it's not mage or onyx path

I thought the Wraith setting got totally wrecked because of that maelstrom dealy, would they really bring it back?

What are the options for playable robots or similar, aside from Promethean and new Demon?

The X20 books are metaplot agnostic, so the Sixth Great Maelstrom/spirit nuke stuff hasn't happened yet. I think there's going to be a section on how to play a chronicle set after that, but it's not assumed to have happened by default, similar to the Avatar Storm in M20.

Iteration X or the Sons of Ether from OWoD Mage both have constructs and fake people as example PCs. Iteration X also has options for Cyborgs as well.

Malfeas#0987

WoD was great when it was oWoD, good to decent when it was nWoD and absolute fucking shit when it's CoD.

You're a goddamn loon if you think 1e Requiem, Forsaken, and Awakening were better than their 2e books.

Awakening 1e was absolute shit and was still better than its 2e version. At least they cared enough to try to keep the art on point even if it wasn't very good.

1e Awakening is fucking awesome you stupid fuck.

I've never actually played WoD, but I'm curious if anyone has put the effort to translate the fluff from Ascension into CoD stuff. From what I've seen of it it looks more interesting

Ascension is shit though?

It's been iffy (read: infested with SJW-ism and leftist retardedness) since the start of Chronicles.

I played in a LARP that did this once. It was pretty fun. It takes a lot of work to adapt much of anything given that you pretty much have to write Paradigm rules from scratch and NWoDs lack of a Merit and Flaw system.

Oh, also there are more arcana than there are spheres, so you have to decide if you want to combine them back into entropy or split effects between the death and fate arcana.

What the fuck are you talking about?

It's on point, obrimoses are clowns. 2e couldn't even comission enough new art for itself and brought back this stuff which just makes the style clash in the book worse.

How can you make it so your awakened mind and soul is reincarnated to a new person? I like the idea of a kid who isn't even in their teens to have the memories and skills of their previous lives.

Go full Libertine and bodyjack, the idea that souls have a right to the bodies they inhabit is prolife nonsense and a plot of the exarchs

At what point does a fetus gets its soul so you can supplant yours before the "natural" soul manifests?

One of the things a lot of mage fans and players get stuck about is that everything has to be or lead back to the supernal. DaveB has said that most things aren't and don't, so feel free to use any of the myriad of strange bullshit and one-off weirdness that inhabits the world of darkness to explain it. Make it a Mystery all on it's own. The mage in question doesn't even have to know or understand how they even did it.

>DaveB has said that most things aren't and don't,
I mean besides everything having themes from it, but that's like saying everything leads back to chemistry in the biological kingdom. Accurate but not actually useful save for specific questions.

I FUCKING LOVE PHIL BRUCATO

where would we be without this culinary genius and his sidebars

I more or less centered my old Mage campaign around a single Night Horrors: The Unbidden entry.

Probably with a better M20.

I know this is bait yet it still fills me with rage.
>Charges $375 for a book with no rules
>Still can't figure out how to pay rent
I'll take the small victories

Sounds like someone ignored the sidebar and chaos magickkkked himself into being a nephandi!

So what's everyone excited for in the Dark Eras Companion?

I think this guy is the new (old) Lineage we're getting in the Black Death chapter.

why did they trace his head

Shit, I just realized virtues in VtM became stealth alignments.
If you have Conscience or Conviction, you're Good or Evil respectively.
If you have Self-Control or Instinct, you're Lawful or Chaotic.
I guess Neutral is just being low in any of those virtues.

I think 1e Requiem was better than 2e, but that's because I appreciated the massive power downgrade they got compared to VtM.

VtR vampires might actually be TOUGHER than oWoD vampires.

That's the problem I have with it too. I'm fine with most of the upgraded disciplines, but vampires reducing all damage to bashing is a bit too much, especially with how defense was improved in 2e.

They also reduce all non-Bane (or possibly just non-supernatural) Agg damage.

All you need to do Agg to an oWoD Vampire is apply electricity (or fire). Hell, tasers might even work.

no one cares about promethean

But it's one of the best gamelines!

The members of the Triat (Weaver, Wyrm, Wyld) match OD&D and B/X alignments (Law, Neutrality, Chaos). Werewolves are also Chaotic in D&D.

Ech people still like to put vamps at the bottom of the various lists so even if not neceserily true there is perception of them being one of the weaker splats

>I don't like this gameline, therefor no one likes it.

Hmmmm....

At least in V20, electrical damage is lethal to vampires. It's Agg if they botch a Soak roll, but otherwise no.

>therefor
It's therefore.

>What kind of stats would, say, the heavy have?

Alright, I'll be using 7/5/3 attributes, since those are what's recommended for "expert" characters, which is what I would classify TF2 mercs as. This also means he has 21 freebie points, as according to Hunters Hunted II for making regular mortal hunters.

It's largely based on what we've seen of Heavy's character through the movies, comics and the game.

+++++ ATTRIBUTES +++++
--- PHYSICAL (7)
Strength: 5 (4 + 1 through freebie points)
Stamina: 5 (4 + 1 through freebie points)
Dexterity: 2

--- MENTAL (5)
Perception: 3
Intelligence: 2
Wits: 3

--- SOCIAL (3)
Charisma: 2
Manipulation: 2
Appearance: 2

+++++ ABILITIES +++++
--- TALENTS (9)
Alertness: 1
Awareness: 2
Brawl: 4 (3 + 1 through freebie points)
Intimidation: 3

--- SKILLS (13):
Animal Ken: 3
Drive: 2
Firearms: 4 (3 +1 through freebie points)
Melee: 3
Survival: 2

--- KNOWLEDGES (5)
Academics: 2
Finance: 2
Investigation: 1

+++++ BACKGROUNDS +++++
Allies: 1
Armory: 1
Base of Operations: 1
Resources: 2

+++++ VIRTUES +++++
Conscience: 2
Self-control: 3
Courage: 5

Which gives us:

Humanity: 5
Willpower: 5

+++++ MERITS +++++
Bruiser (1)
Huge Size (4)
Introspection (1)
Language (1, English, as his native language is Russian)

...And that's all I can be bothered to write down. While his Base + Armory backgrounds are low, remember that he can pool it with all the rest of his team, resulting in a Base/Armory of 9 dots, fitting for the TF2 team.

I like dis

He's right though.

If it ain't Vampire, Mage, sometimes Werewolf and now recently Changeling nobody gives a shit

Are Catiff sterile, or can they sire, and if so, is the childe also Caitiff or does it inherit its grandsire's clan?

>As promised
>Heavy will now lay egg
>In your mouth

Hunter is pretty popular as well.

Most can sire, provided they aren't thin-blooded, which causes some embraces to fail irrc, or have the sterile Flaw. The childe will be a Caitiff as well.

I like to imagine, in my heart of hearts, that 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' takes place in the WoD universe.

>Mac Goes Infernalist
>Charlie Does Diablerie
>the Gang Awaken a Methuselah

Are you serious?

>Are Catiff sterile, or can they sire, and if so, is the childe also Caitiff or does it inherit its grandsire's clan?

As user pointed out, nothing stops them from embracing others, and the childe will be a "caitiff" just like its sire.

Of course, caitiff are usually high-generation to begin with (13th-15th gen, or up to 16th gen if you're going with Beckett's Jyhad Diary rules), so not all embraces are going to work.

The long running joke between me and a close friend is that Charlie is acutally a promethean, it would explain his high durablity, complete stragness and... well, eating all those things he REALLY shouldn't be eating.

Nothing so overt. The world they present is cynical, dark, and shitty. Philadelphia is also a shithole of urban decay. It just makes sense.

Though, in my shitty headcanon, I have an idea for an episode: the gang meets a vampire and it subverts their bar into its web of contacts, probably as a feeding area. One or more ends up trying vampire blood and equates it to an amazingly good high. So they start in-fighting, as they usually do, over who gets to be ghouled, trying to please the vampire while inadvertently causing several masquerade breaches which get the vampire into a bunch of shit. The episode ends when they accidentally torch the vampire's haven and kill him; they watch it burn while the outro plays.

>The mage 20th was an extra special disaster mostly because Phil Brucato wrote AND edited the mess of a tome

Leaving aside all the inane rambling sidebars, is it actually possible to have an enjoyable M20 game? This isn't whether it is a example of good rpg writing (trust me, I know it's not from reading the darn thing), but can something functional be salvaged from it?

My best friend is a massive mage fan and foolishly bought into the M20 hype, since he has been meaning to run mage for a while now. We are all sensible adults, most of the group has played various editions of mage before and we don't care about Brucato's navel-gazing as long as we can pretend to be wizards.

Or to put it another way; what do I have to do to ensure my friend's M20 game goes smoothly?

Nightcrawlers: the Bashing

Fuck it I'd play that game.

Can life magic grow or shrink somebody or only change their size within biologic range.

>Is it actually possible to have an enjoyable M20 game?

Who plays Ascension without house-ruling it first? You can at least play Awakening RAW.

I'm pretty sure you can go full GiANT Man if you wanted by fucking around with spell factors if you wanted.

Pretty much this
Pick an older version of the core and use those rules is my plan, the charts were probably copy and pasted from one of those books anyway.

I tend to mix the editions (Revised had better capability descriptions by far) and allow the optional Arete + Highest Sphere rule. Magick is far too difficult to get off until you can start holding spells.

Byotiful.
Which splat is this using?
I want to use it for the demo next.
I don't even play or have a game running, TF2 vs WoD just sounded fun
Also, shouldn't he be a good gambler?

I sometimes wonder what supernatural each TF2 merc would be.

>WTF
Werewolves and the ocean. the ocean cover more than 70% of the earth. How do you police the shadow with that much coverage? there isn't enough boat coverage without a dedicated naval force. how do a bunch of kids hope to even tackle something like that? Does cuthlu exist but like to hide in the hard to monitor oceans?

>download for awakening 1e not working

Who broke it?

Sniper and Demo I like as hunters.
Spy is probably vampire.
I could see heavy as a werewolf.
Not sure about scout, he's fast, maybe changeling?
medic and engie mages?[/spoiler

Pyro as Mummy?

>holding spells

Might be a little bit overpowered/unbalanced if you allow that. Charms at least. Turning a Mage into a D&D wizard is just going to make them unstoppable in white-room scenarios.

M20

I imagine the Medic as an Ordo Dracul Vampire.
Engineer seems very Free Council Moros.

Mages has always worked with an assumed time crunch. And opportunity costs

worked best*

All of them are hunters.

Yes, but when you can make a bucket load of pre-rolled spells of whatever-you-desire, they will start annihilating every night-folk they encounter.

Ascension is more prep heavy than Awakening, but the rules can be gimped far further.

just start enforcing the increasing spell diff and throwing problems from all sides. and make them roll every single one. Every session, and force them to put points into duration hang. Basically start enforcing the rules, and you'll find mages are not all that OP. they'll either get bored moan and bitch, or pay out the nose for quient, or they'll botch.

You know what's in my fuck stupid mage's kit?
A good hearted secretary with a massive mind shield Mind1
A locked door Matter2
and a reality enforcing field Prime2

Hang spells are time4, so yeah if they're that high up there they SHOULD be tackling harder and harder reality breaking, otherwise you're just being a mat.

>Conviction is evil

problem being the rules are SO horribly written and entirely vague, rulers lawering munkins go to town with it.

Enforcing the rules isn't going to do anything RAW, which is my entire point. I'm going to have to house rule it all.

Time isn't the only Sphere you can use to hold spells, Prime is arguably better. Space can give you automatic contingencies.