Board Game General /bgg/

Board Game General /bgg/

Previous thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently?

What are your current top 5 favorite games?

Which 2017 releases are you most excited for?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129320/castle-dice
kickstarter.com/projects/itbboardgames/sub-terra-a-cooperative-survival-horror-game-for-1
kickstarter.com/projects/2129541221/in-tenebris-lux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures

Thoughts?

Looks nice for a filler game but even for a filler game this looks a bit bare mechanically.

>kickstarter

Recommend me please some card sleeves that shuffle well, are clear on both sides and ideally available in Europe.

My printer doesn't handle heavy cardstock. Plan B is to print on thin cardstock and sleeve the result.

>$20
>no exclusives
>previous game is well-received
If you like the rules go for it.

Alright OP! A new 'General' image. I usually have to photochop (@ over 9000 hrs) all of the 'General' general images.

>What have you played recently?
1/2 my usual gaming group was unavailable so the remaining group had some fun with Carcasonne.

>What are your current top 5 favorite games?

Stone Age
Archipelago
Citadels
Space 4x in general (Eclipse / Exodus / TI3)
War Games in general (OGRE, HoN, Quartermaster General.)

>Which 2017 releases are you most excited for?

Looking forward to the OGRE Minis KS stuff.

i like that the kickstarter isn't maximum jew
haven't really looked at the gameplay or anything but from the tagline it seems like its a bluffing/social game and i already have a bunch of those

> "Stop liking what I don't like! Waaaah!"

This made me think... what are some really good fillers? And what would you say are the requirements for a game to fall in the filler category?

what games would you recommed for a dice fetishist? can be custom or regular but big quantities are required. the more the better.

Roll for the Galaxy
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Quantum

>And what would you say are the requirements for a game to fall in the filler category?

Rules explanation + set-up takes no more than 5 minutes
Playing time is no longer than 30 minutes

How fillery are we talking? Mega-eurofucks like to proclaim a 45 minute game is filler. Partygamers will say that it's only filler if you can play a hand of it in 5 minutes. Then there's everything in between.

Personally the longest game in my collection is 90 minutes, and mine would be

Lost Legacy
Skull
Pairs
Dingo's Dreams
Star Realms (only with junkies who have all the cards in the deck memorized like me, though, otherwise I would say it's too long for filler)

And if somehow an entire 6 people are waiting around needing filler:
Mafia de Cuba
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Spyfall

>Quantum
oh, this one is new for me. Thanks.

Is Dragon dice still being produced, or that gme is dead on the water?

Roll for the Galaxy is really the king here. Dem plastic cups. Yes.

Artifacts Inc is a good medium-game-in-a-small-box that offers dice placement instead of worker placement, with plenty of clever bits and bobs.

Perudo is a gorgeous bluffing game older than dirt that still exists today for a reason.

Blueprints is filler and involves building the most prestigious skyscraper by actually stacking dice on top of each other, potentially as high as 6 directly up. It has an interesting mechanic where, just like in real life(???), sticking perfectly to the blueprints you get given will give you way more prestige than blatantly building something your client never paid for, BUT, if it's a mindblowing enough creation, like it's made entirely of recycled materials and every single one of them is a 6 or something, the prestige you get from that will actually make up for it and then some. So you have to decide whether to take the risk.

3/4 new stuff.
I like when people show me new stuff. thanks

You've got Alien Frontiers where dice are rolled and placed as workers (much like Quantum and Roll for the Galaxy). You've also got a game called Castle Dice that might scratch the dice fetish itch as well.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129320/castle-dice

Since we're talking about active KS campaigns, what do you guys about this?

kickstarter.com/projects/itbboardgames/sub-terra-a-cooperative-survival-horror-game-for-1

I've always been intrigued by Betrayal at House on the Hill, mostly for the exploration phase where you flip tiles and wander around. The rest of the game is why I never bought it...

Sub Terra looks like it focuses on exactly that. Could this scratch a similar itch?

Been trying to redpill normie friends on the hobby so I can actually have someone to play my heavy games with. Carcassonne has been the best gateway game for me so Ive been playing a lot of it. Wondering if I should get the inns and cathedrals expansion, but its so little content for $21, I can get space hulk death angel for $17 right now.

Top 5 games (I own)
1.7 wonders duel
2.scythe
3.patchwork
4.roll for the galaxy
5.cosmic encounter (I enjoy FUN occasionally)

Im not looking forward to a single 2017 release desu. Nothing Ive looked at so far has impressed me

ARe there even any notable 2017 releases?

Thinking about getting a board game night started, but I want to have more than just Monopoly and Sorry! I'm relatively new to the Veeky Forums world. Any suggestions?

Taking notes.

also for the 3 of you, maybe I'm wrong but not many games have a BGG score pass 7.0.

I know the score means not much but think about this. well developed games in regard rules, play style or I-don't-know-whatelse have a decent score in their page.
I've gotta guess that games under that barrier still good but maybe with some clear flaws that could distract from the game experience.

Start with social games like Secret Hitler that engage people.

Also, how big is your group?

That's how I feel. 2015-2016 will be hard to top. I wouldnt be surprised if people look back on the hobby in the future and will see 2014-2016 as a Renaissance.

But it seems like I find out about a lot of the stuff I want to buy a month before its released, so that might be the case too

PD: Im talking about dice games. and only dice focused games. sorry

It'll probably be 3-4 people.

Carcassone
Coup
Splendor
Codenames
Catan (even though i fucking hate it)

Are all good entry level games that normies like

You also have to remember that the score reflect the tastes of the members who vote - not necessarily which games have great mechanics or not. Anyone can vote, it isn't as if one has to be knowledgeable about what is or isn't a good game. Dice games tend to be looked down upon (good or otherwise) by Euro players who dislike highly random elements.

Oh, in that case I highly recommend The Voyages of Marco Polo. Every single person I've played this with, be it seasoned veteran or complete beginner, loved it.

*for a 3-4 player group size

Also maybe pandemic but I fucking hate co op games except maybe hanabi

hey I dislike randomness but mostly how often it fucks with me. but even now and then I like dice games because its more "casual" nature.

Well, some people don't seem to differentiate between 'acceptable' randomness / good dice mechanics, and lul-randumb dice mechanics. I'm not a fan of Catan for example where you essentially make a plan and then *hope* the dice rolls don't screw you over. Roll for the Galaxy is the opposite - I randomly generate dice rolls, but then have control over how they're used in order to dictate at least one desired outcome per turn.

kind like Tiny Epic Galaxies right? (I haven't played Roll for the galaxy but I can take a guess based on TEG)

Has anyone else played Chicago Express? How did you like it?
I had a blast last night with it but my wife almost cried when a friend bought a share from her majority company and started expanding backwards. Fun times.

How does the hidden rolling affect the gameplay? (In roll for the galaxy) Is bluffing your roll a part of the game?

I have nothing to contribute to this thread. I just wanted to say that Talisman fucking sucks. What a huge pile of warm shit. What a nongame. You do nothing. You roll a die and then decide whether to go left or right. That's all you do. For 2 hours.

FUCK THIS GAME FUCK TALISMAN

>recent plays
only incomplete plays of Argent: The Consortium and Quartermaster General for me in the past week, will be hosting on Saturday for the first time this year so who knows what will be played!

>top 5
Duel of Ages II
Cave Evil: Warcults
Argent: The Consortium
Zimby Mojo
BattleCON

>it is the current year
I decided to back Dungeon Degenerates purely for the A E S T H E T I C S which is a dumb idea in hindsight but I'm hoping that I don't get fucked over too badly with that one, I really love the art style though

I'm also curious about the new Jim Felli game and upcoming Level 99 Games products

I've played one 3P game so far, I love how it distills what I look for most in 18xx games into an experience that isn't high-octane autism

Willing to suck dicks for a copy of Concordia.

its 50 years old, wtf do you expect.

>redpill
I don't think that word means what you think it means...unless you are trying to expose your friends to the painful truths of the hobby.

You guys get your free faction sheep faction for Smash Up yet?

Space Hulk Death Angel is a fantastic game that I love playing. Even if your normie friends don't like it I would highly recommend snagging it while you can

Carcassonne

not sure if the expansions are worth it for the money people are asking. or even worth it in general.

i really like death angel but idk if i'd play it co-op since it works perfectly solo

mfw going with a friend to a stranger's neighboring house, I met through bgg, to start a game night this week.
Has anyone else ever done this?

no but as long as they dont try to rape you or make you play cards against humanity whats the worst that could happen

>play CaH
There isn't anything worse

Its less bluffing, more predicting
What your opponent is going to do. If you think one of your opponents wants to develop tech, you might want to put some of your leftover dice on the tech development in space because then you will get to develop your tech too

Oh god its this autist again.
Its fucking Veeky Forums slang you sperg. Redpill has become akin to "inform me on the truth of" as well as a means to introduce someone to something theyre not aware of (like in the fucking matrix god damn it)

For Sale
Sushi Go
Incan Gold
Love Letter

Stupid quick to teach/play, brings laughs to the table, involves some sort of chicanery

>upcoming Level 99 Games products
Man, back in 2014-2015, I fell off the lvl99 bandwagon hard, and maintained a loyalty to Plaid Hat Games I nurtured since 2011.

Result? Missed out on Argent, Millennium Blades, and got deeper into Summoner Wars, got my gang into Dead of Winter, and shilled Ashes: Rise of the Phoenix born for months on the bgg right as it came out.

I certainly feel foolish. Never even got the last wave of Summoner Wars faction packs, waiting for them to just announce the death of Ashes already, and got sick of dead of winter after 5 or so plays while my group keeps asking to play it. Now, I have too many other games that deserve attention, and cannot justify splurging on lvl99's wares.

Mistakes were made

Don't mind the other user, he's just butt-hurt because Talisman has more seniority on this group than him.

After trying unsuccessfully for a few years to convert friends into some heavier stuff, I have no choice but to go back to party games. I've got Sushi Go Party, Shadow Hunters, Rhino Hero, and Resistance, but not sure to go from here.

I hear you man, I've been shilling Ashes IRL but I haven't had anyone take the bite and buy a core set for themselves so I can do some sweet constructed fun. A damn shame really with how they've almost effectively killed Ashes, I'm really hoping that they can bring back momentum so that I have a reason to further dismantle my MTG collection. My friend who runs a LGS mentioned there was going to be a restock of the expansion decks in 'straya so this could be a good opportunity to try shilling again.

I know enough people who own Dead of Winter so I have an excuse to never own a zombie game, but it does feel like it would wear out after a few games. Still undecided if I want to get more than the Master Set for Summoner Wars, it's pretty low priority for me at the moment.

I missed out on Millennium Blades as well so I'm hoping to pick up everything for MB with a decent shipping rate when it's in stock again.

Summoner Wars is one of the few games I own where I bought pretty much everything until the final wave of expansions. The decks play so differently are so much fun, and deck building is a blast, despite being limited.

The second master set was a beaut too, with multi-faction decks fucking up all sorts of things.

SW has had an amazing run, and is still one of my favorite two player games, despite having played so many top notch two player titles in recent years.

Okay so I was going to be visiting my girlfriend and two of her friends this weekend to continue our Pandemic Legacy game. However, I recently found out that for this particular game night, rather than the 4 of us, there's going to be somewhere between 7 and 10 people.

I've got Codenames and Cash n' Guns that I can bring. Anything to keep CaH off the table. I was thinking of picking up Captain Sonar, as my girlfriend was really interested in playing it, and there'd actually be enough people. The problem is table space. She's got no kitchen table and only a coffee table that's barely 36 inches by 18 inches. There's no way we can fit anything larger than a standard board on there.

So my question is, do I stick with what I have and people will just stand, or do I pick up Captain Sonor and force people to play on the floor? It's hardwood with a rug over it, btw.

Hate to break it to you, but these people will demand CAH, and you will be peer pressured into letting it hitting the table. Whether you participate or not is irrelevant, as the game will go on for three hours.

Captain sonar will look on from the perimeter in sadness and horror.

Rather than relying on BGG.com for deciding on whether or not you want a game, looking for a rules or gameplay video would serve you better, since you can actually see the game in action and decide if you like it yourself.

Honestly it's best to not force heavy games onto casual players that just wanna "laugh out loud" at two midgets shitting in a bucket or w/e
Best you can do is find a compromise between easy to play and actual gameplay for those groups
I found that my group loves traitor and social deception games, so saboteur was a giant hit, and it's still a fun game to play. Now only if I could get them to play BSG...

All the good games are always waiting for reprints.

Kill them.

Kill them all.

Depends on what great games flew under your radar. Watcha waiting for?

Yeah, I definitely appreciate it as a light-medium dice chucker 2P game, I'll most likely pick up more stuff for it in a few months. Good to hear that you still love it, says a lot to the longevity of the game

What have you been trying to get them to play previously?

I know this feel all too well, I only found one copy of Pax Pamir for sale from stores and I paid more than I wanted to. At least Pax Renaissance is still available for now

I figured it'd be like most giveaways, where you don't get the prize til about six months later/whenever you forget about it, whichever comes last.

Are some people really already getting theirs? That'd be pretty sweet.

Don't go anywhere near Captain Sonar. Codenames is really pushing it since it's medium to low energy. If you want to bring anything actually gamery, Cash and Guns is the most you're gonna get out of them. This sort of situation really calls for dudebro-adjacent games, that have some connection to the three adult games they've heard of but are better. Ex. Secret Hitler, Funemployed, ONUW.

I never should've mentioned CAH seeing as all I know is one of them owns it. I also know that they're co-workers of my girlfriend and regularly play Coup with her during breaks.

>Got Xia: Legends of a Drift System for my birthday
>Pandemic: Legacy group finally got together for another round after a 3 month hiatus

Was a pretty good couple of days in board game land for me.

Concordia and Sherlock

Not yet, just making sure people hear about it, and don't lose out

One of my former teachers from college actually made a game that's also a co-op dungeon crawler, but Victorian Horror themed. It's on kickstarter right now too!

kickstarter.com/projects/2129541221/in-tenebris-lux

damn this looks pretty cool and I'm a suck for survival horror

Nice art

Looks really good, but what the fuck is up with the three day-one expansions?

also
>have to pay 95 for to get the minis
>not even painted
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn

I hope they fix the typo on the Gunslinger card before it goes into production...

haha, I'll send him a message and I know he will! Thanks!

Thanks, my former teacher is the one who did the painting. It's very painterly! I really dig it and I think it fits the mood of the game well.

I don't think the expansions are worth it either. I only have the base game and I love playing it

Cool. I hope the KS goes well. :)

I bet to differ

Monopoly is more fun than CAH.

If you have aspegers, yes.

>Sherlock
My African American friend

>I bet to differ

Eh, even if it's shallow and shitty I prefer rolling dice to having old ladies ask what bukkake's are.

Why are you playing with old ladies in the first place? They only play bingo or fucking loteria.

>Not bridge

Mysterium, Race for the Galaxy, Carcassonne, Chaos in the Old World, Fury of Dracula, Cosmic Encounter, Tragedy Looper, Aboretum, Machi Koro, and some others I forgot. I don't think they have the patience or willingness to play any game longer than 30 minutes.

How does Star Wars: Rebellion plays with only 2 players?

>they weren't down for Carcassonne and you decided you should try Chaos in the motherfucking Old World

As intended, brilliantly; the 2-4 player count on the box is basically them saying "your kid can watch over your shoulder and pretend he's playing too"

maybe they like the theme better?

>High quality P'n'P for free
Sweet, thanks.

I'll keep posting it until you like me ;_;

Fugg, that's not all.

I entered my address in the middle east, I doubt I'll be getting it.
I wonder if I should send it to my family in the US and have them bring it over, if its even worth the trouble.

They won't be able to come back.

damn user, ditch these losers and invest in solo games

It's MEANT for 2 players.