How do you guys feel about Gathering Storm in general? For me...

How do you guys feel about Gathering Storm in general? For me, what grabbed me about the setting was the sense of ancient stagnation and slow decay. It's the first thing there with

> It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor of Mankind has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth

I found the idea of a huge, 10,000 year old, slowly crumbling empire representing the future of mankind to be really compelling, and I'm not even someone who's had the hobby for a long time. Now I suspect that something big is going to happen to change that. For instance, at least one primarch actually being playable, instead of a lost figure of legend. Some people are saying that the setting was stale, but I think being "stale" is what makes 40k 40k.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TouCl6yp13A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I gotta say, I'm not excited. I agree that the stagnant setting worked really well and pretty much /was/ 40k, but my biggest concern is that as the rules change, the armies and the models change as well. and while that's not inherently a bad thing and sometimes a universe update is good, I'm worried that if everything updates then things that some players really liked (*cough* the Guard *cough*) will be pushed aside or removed entirely

I think the idea, of advancing certain events without ending the story, is a nice idea. I think developing plotlines within the setting would be nice, but never in such a way to end the setting.

Overall the idea behind Gathering Storm I like. The idea. Execution is where I fear there will be difficulties.

Speaking on FoC, the only one we know for sure so far, I didn't mind the idea behind it (for Chaos to at last be taken seriously as a threat it has to be able to destroy Cadia). The execution was a bit shoddy to me, characterisation of Abaddon, the nature of the end, the sheer speed of it all and more. The Execution of the idea I felt was shoddy but the idea I though was not bad.

FoB, I can say less about as I have not read it yet, but my overall impression of it is already more negative. Fall of Cadia seemed to balance loss for the Imperium with not to radical changes in the setting, FoB seems to me to change the Eldar to much and, to be honest, after Death Masque and other events the Eldar don't need to further play the role of a punching bag in the narrative.

RotP I think could be good, the concept works again, execution is a different matter. But I am one of those people who feels Primarchs have become a bit of an all consuming plot tumour on the setting who's importance, power and role gets overblown to the detriment of all other things in the setting so I'm wary of Roboute potentially having an effect where the Imperium simply 'gets better' because he's there, reversing thousands of years of developments, and making it look like in 10000 years not a single individual in the Imperium has been competent.

That and the fact that this again seems to be coming down to GW's favoured narrative formula; good guys losing then Marines show up and save the day, are my only fears concerning RotP.

Just my opinion of course, and an annotated form of it.

You said it yourself, you're new to the hobby so it's fresh and exciting. I've played for over 15 years and am happy to see the plot advance

All the butthurt trolling threads just confirm that whatever comes next for 40k will alienate the worst part of the fan base, like AoS did for fantasy. Thank fucking god, getting rid of the elitist gongards was the best thing to come out of the destruction of the warhammer fantasy world. I can't wait till the same shit happens with 40k

I can agree that primarchs returning is a little uncreative, but the game is made by brits and they're about to get a king back on the throne for the first time in ages, so let them have their fun

Primarchs have just begun to feel to me as if they are to 40k what the Uchiha Clan became to Naruto (not that I know if this analogy will make any sense).

Regardless of my feelings on the exact matter of Primarchs returning, I'll save any final judgements on RotP for once I have read it, of course. I'm much more positive about the concept behind it than I am of FoB's atrocious idea and, seemingly, worrisome content. That I'll hopefully know by week's end though.

I agree with you, but at the same time I'm curious about the incoming shitstorm and ideas.

I'm of the opinion the most functional moment of warhammer settings is 10 minutes before the apocalypse: with important characters already established but not having started yet their own campaigns for the respective endgoals; everyone with numerous open plothooks and possible interaction pathways with additions and reintroductions to the setting being done retroactively through the various 10 millennia between the HH and the present.

I fucking hate what they are doing to the Eldar.
The Ynnari stuff and destruction of Biel-Tan are bullshit, and I do not accept any of it.

Fuck the Ynnari.
I'll make it my focus to fucking destroy any Ynnari army I see at my hobby store with my Biel-Tan army.

VENGEANCE FOR BIEL-TAN! KILL THE KINSLAYERS!

Fucking perfect & saved

>for over a decade, the 13th Black Crusade has been remarked as different from all the others because there are rumors of the daemon primarchs marching with it, creating an unstoppable tide
>Cadia falls without primarchs showing up
>only daemon primarch to show up isn't even part of the Black Crusade
>Imperium gets a primarch before the Black Crusade does

It doesn't effect me at all, because for me 40k I'm just the setting for Dark Heresy, and I can take what I like and ignore everything I dont.

It must be suffering to be a 40k minis player.

This

>Thoughts?
>Imperium under Guilliman rule turning into progressive family-friendly Alliance in space
>all xenophobic factions like Black Templars, Biel-Tan, Dark Angels, Commoragh, Iron Hands removed or becomming irrelevant for the setting, or turning in "bad guys"
>Star Wars now have higher age rating and have natural Space Nazi
youtube.com/watch?v=TouCl6yp13A
feels good man.

I like it. I agree that the stagnation is a cool part of the Lore. But at the same time, it's cool to see new things. I don't think there is anything stupid enough to ruin it for me, since it's already a stupid setting. And if they suck, i just won't use it and can easily go back to stagnation for my games. It's impossible for GW to ruin the setting for me, because even if they ruin it, they can't take away all the good Lore and all my rpg books.

Plus I think the stuff so far is pretty fun.

Personally I think it could be handled better, but I don't mind things moving forward. It's good to have new developents and new opportunities.

That being said I'm not happy about everything they do. Personally I'm really not happy with Magnus and Gulliman, and to a lesser extent the Triumvirate boxes.

I like playing a miniature table top wargame. I like my guys. I like armies meeting armies. Sure having some heroic figures and leaders is fine, but these huge important characters who can decide the battle on their own kinda get to me. It feels like you need them, and if you don't have them you cannot compete, and that worries me. Not that I play competatively, I just play at my local shop for fun, but I'm worried about where the meta is going.

You don't have to worry too much about it. They are good, but not "have to buy" or you'll be left behind. They give small passive bonuses but they themselves are fire magnets, easy targets, and vulnerable. They might have Eternal warrior but it's not like they have ungodly 2+ invulnerable saves, and WS and Attacks out the Wazoo.

Greyfax is still S3 T3 for example. Even if someone brought the Imperial trio in a 2k point game you won't feel overwhelmed by them, maybe a bit unnerved, but treat them like what they are, expensive, useful, bullet magnets and turn your guns on them and watch them melt. Sure you have to do that twice to Celestian and her flying waifu harem but...no big deal.

Yeah, but what about Magnus? He seems quite powerful. Got a guy in our local league who's gonna run him, and most of the guys around the shop who I generally trust to undestand how things stack up better than I do all agree he's gonna be pretty unstoppable. Or what about papa smurf and whatever Ynnead ends up being? I mean its a literal god and a Primarch. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I feel like on some level they have to be super good. I mean they are literally deific figures.

Purge yourself

Greyfax denies Magnus on a 4+. Magnus can be countered.

post yfw this is GW's way of creating Warhammer 40k: Civil War

The concept is okay, and there have been a few good points. Largely bad to mediocre in execution though.
IE, typical modern GW.

Have you read the Crimson Path lore that was released like 4 years ago?

Abaddon needs Cadia to fall so that the Eye expands so it will grant traitor Primarchs enough power to manifest into reality without complications (like Angron having to build pyramids everywhere to sustain his form).

I'm hoping that something happens in the next book after RoP that really kicks the Imperium in balls. Like on one hand they just got Gullyman back, but there is a civil war like during the War of the False Primarch. It would also make Imperium v Imperium narrative battles fluffy without one of the players having to be secret heretics.

>It would also make Imperium v Imperium narrative battles fluffy without one of the players having to be secret heretics.
But there's plenty of other reasons too ranging from bureaucratic errors to warring planetary governors using their PDFs.

Separatist-scum, plz.
>this is GW's way of creating Warhammer 40k: Civil War
What?

I called this years ago on Veeky Forums

>all these fears about ET and sigmarizing 40k
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

>How do you guys feel about Gathering Storm in general?
>GAMES WORKSHOP AREN'T TOY COMPANY

I used to love Primarchs, the last two years have made me completely hate them.

Their a bunch of sues who's whole point is that they are 'better than everyone at everything' and 'tortured and lonely souls' and pretty much outstrip every other faction in the game at the thing that faction is meant to excel in. At least whilst they were in 30k only their cancerous consumption of everything didn't infect 40k to bad, now with them coming back we might as well kiss good-bye to any characters having any relevance at all unless their Primarchs.

And good fucking shit its ridiculous that GW thinks no other faction in the game should be able to make something as strong as a Primarch.

>who's
>to bad
>good-bye
>unless their Primarchs
>its ridiculous

How do you insert an apostrophe into "whose" but leave it out of "it's"?

Does it matter? Seriously do you grammar check all posts? Cause you've been really slacking if you do.

>Does it matter? Seriously, do you check the grammar of all posts? 'Cause you've been really slacking if you do.

Psst, user, you've got other places to be working, check out the general to being with.

Okay, I actually legit laughed at that. Well played user. Still my point doesn't change. If you want to correct everyone's grammar, then you should be doing so elsewhere.

I've wanted that for years.

>to being with

user pls

While i like this model better than the FW one, i dont like the direction GW is taking with the details on the armors. I have the feeling they have some golds rim autocomplete program in their CAD software.

Look at it this way, 40k is already dumbed down compared to WHFB, a sigmarization would reduce it to a game of "roll off to win"

Better?

Can someone of you explain?

Everything happening around 30-31st December of 40999

A whole planet falling in a matter of hours, not even a whole war like Armageddon shit

A new eldar faction appearing in the last days of 40K setting... whom are they supposed to fight against in a fluffy way during the last hours of 40K?

Are they meant to be played in 42nd millenium while it still hasn't being conceived?

>Damn son, everything would have been good if given more time to develop

An entire year is a lot of time for all these things to happen, and FoC and FoB happen to the same time.

I used to think this, but I've been back into 40k long enough that I'd like to see shit happening. You also can't have it be 2 minutes to midnight for decades and expect the gravitas to remain. It's definitely better than going back in time and masturbating endlessly about the Horus Heresy.

Anyone?

Daemon Primarchs have marched on other Crusades as well though

Really depends on how they finish it.

If at the end it's just Abaddon and Guilliman clashing swords, but nothing changing, then it's shit.

If it ends with Guilliman killing Abaddon, the 13th Crusade broken and Guilliman as a reluctant regent having to deal with culture and time shock, with the Imperium now incredibly vulnerable after Cadia's destruction, then it's great

> Guilliman as a reluctant regent having to deal with culture and time shock

Post Guilliman's face when
-learning about Tyranids
-learning about Necrons
-learning about Ecclesiarchy
-learning about Sororitas
-learning about Tau
-learning about a tank called Leman Russ

>-learning about a tank called Leman Russ
that's a great crusade thing

>-learning about Ecclesiarchy
>core Ecclesiarchy teaching are literally build around book of Lorgar