Konosuba style game?

Relatively experienced pathfinder GM, but I want to expand my experience to another system. Recently I've been watching shows like Konosuba and sword art online, and I love the idea of playing a game where the players are from the "Real" world, and are thrust into a fantasy world. Is there a system that lets players grow in ways that really don't have a class? In Konosuba, the MC is able to learn a lot of different skills from the different classes of the word by spending points earned from completed missions. What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance.

>that whole post
>What are your suggestions?
good rope and stout branch

>>/a/

I guess GURPS is your best bet for this

Sit down for any game of your choosing, then flip the table and start shitting on the walls.

As fucking horrible as it was D20 BESM Big eyes small mouth, had a classless point-buy system.

Why not regular BESM?

Also what said. You can't get better than that when it comes to crossing genres with a specific skill system.

Is gurps easy to pick up? I've Only ever played dnd 3.5/PF.

No

Odd name for a role playing system, its anime themed I'm guessing? that would be thematically fitting for the game idea.

It depends. It is front loaded so GM set up and character creation can take a bit. The gameplay itself is very straightforward and simple, much more so than 3.5/PF. If you use a series (Dungeon Fantasy, Monster Hunters, ect.) you can have everything out of the box taking away the aformentioned frontloading.

Cool. My players don't mind number crunching, so this sounds perfect.

Bad how? In gameplay mechanics or the anime theme?

Mechanics. It is D20 derived and not as well put together as the original version. BESM 2E on the other hand is actually decent. Tri-Stat deserves more love.

>Why not regular BESM?
Man, do you think I gave shit about what fucking version there was?

The D20 one had a classless system. Does the regular one too?

Yeah.

Yes.

>The D20 one had a classless system. Does the regular one too?
Yes. And it is the far better system.

That mean you have to fight off broken op boss

Despite being attacked from numerous directions at the same time, he showed no opening in his defense. His overwhelming swordsmanship was accompanied by his limitless stamina and high magic defense as an undead. No matter what kind of powerful enemy he faces, he can defeat them using the power of ‘Proclamation of Death’. The dullahan knight, Beldia.

–Having the power to change into human form, absolute resistance to magic attacks, and a poisonous composition that would fatally harm anyone that touched him, he was able to use his overwhelming size to crush and devour anything in his way. The poisonous slime of fatality, Hans.

–By constantly evolving by combining with monsters, she (?) possessed the power to various unique traits and all forms of energy as she pleased. The limitless chimera, Sylvia.

–Possessing an indestructible form, his existence could be said to violate the rules of the world itself. The duke of hell, Vanir.

–Not only did she have the ability to use all forms of advanced and teleportation magic’, but she could also use explosion magic. Not only does she have body that is invulnerable to physical attacks, but she also has the ability to use all sorts of special skills like ‘Drain Touch’. The queen of undead, the lich, Wiz.

BESM stands for 'Big Eyes, Small Mouth'. Go for the newest version (3rd) and avoid the d20 version. BESM uses 'templates' and is technically setting neutral so you can make a setting as intricate or not as you want.

>experienced pathfinder GM
> Recently I've been watching shows like Konosuba and sword art online, and I love the idea of playing a game where the players are from the "Real" world, and are thrust into a fantasy world.

There's no saving you. Sorry, user, merciful eutanasia is the only way to fix you.

Konosuba is underrated. SAO is for people who haven't yet realized that SAO is fucking terrible, though.

I'm serious. Please stop. If you HAVE to watch an anime where the MC gets stuck in a fantasy RPG world, watch Log Horizon. Log Horizon is SAO for people who realize SAO is shit.

As for your request, have you realized that pretty much any fantasy RPG system would work if you just roleplay that your character appeared out of nowhere? Even D&D can manage that.

But D&D has a strict class system

Also suggesting No Game No Life, same theme.

It's kind of common in anime, really. Pretty sure there's a Japanese word for it.

So does Konosuba. You can just houserule an Adventurer class and go from there.

If you want something less formal, have you considered Fate Core? Replace the skill tree with the stats from Konosuba's 'verse and use spells/abilities as Stunts. The invoke/compel system would be good for emulating the zany screwups of Konosuba in an organic and rewarding way. Then all you're missing is the point-buy skills system, which you could always houserule some rules on if you really want it.

OVA and Valor are both anime-inspired classless RPGs. OVA is a bit rules-lite, and Valor has a very meaty and intricate point-buy process.

Slap a different coat of paint on Maid, with Kazuma as the master and Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness as the PCs.

>Darkness is played by That Guy who can't keep his fucking magical realm out of the game

Isekai

I think you're not supposed to destroy him in a straight up fight. I doubt the MC will destroy him in a straight up fight, for the matter.

He's going to have to outsmart the BBEG like any proper rogue.

That's the one, thanks.

The whole party is composed of that guys.

>The Bard Archer who acts like a dickass thief
>The masochistic female paladin who can't hit for shit but took the Grapler feat
>The CG cleric of toilet cleaning who makes a mess out of everything she touches, High Wis but dumped Int.
>The ... Warlock? No seriously there's not a single class that lets you blow all your magic on one spell...well maybe Sorcerrer and they still get cantrips.

Yup DnD doesn't work with it.
Time to learn GURPS.

Psionic classes do with their power points.

I would pay money to play this and be one of the maids. Actual money.

And also, Konosuba now makes waaaaaaaaaay more sense, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

I like how damn colorful everything is in NGNL.

They really can't. You are limited to points spent = manifester level.

>No seriously there's not a single class that lets you blow all your magic on one spell
user I'd suggest learning to read.

How does it compare to something like Dungeon World?

It's like trying to compare apples to oranges.

Anyway, another system to look into is OVA.

Likewise. I appreciate that it has an aesthetic beyond "generic 2010s anime".

You can only spend a number of Psionic Points on a single spell related to your level. So no, you can't burn all of your points casting one big spell with a Psion.

Darkness was great last episode. I unironically believe that's the best KonoSuba episode yet.

The best example that I've found about the classical "MMO becomes the real world for the characters" trope is Log Horizon
Seriously, go give it a watch if you haven't already, it's bretty good

>GURPS
>for non-realistic settings
No thanks

I'm just here for Megumemes

It's an old as fuck cliché that rarely adds anything to the story. See Aura Battler Dunbine for an example of an ancient one.

Honestly, if you need an MC with no knowledge of the setting, why not hear the farmboy origin instead of Japanese teenager?

Isekai = generic dragon quest setting + real world protagonist + sex appeal waifubait + super special power

You're probably right, but (when done right) it's a fun formula that works.

>Hurr how do I play meme anime?
Literally any system with lolrandumbxD actions by the player.

>>The ... Warlock? No seriously there's not a single class that lets you blow all your magic on one spell...well maybe Sorcerrer and they still get cantrips.

She's a wizard that built a 'Locate City Nuke' character she found the build for online, but it doesn't actually work and the GM would only let her pull that garbage if she made concessions and gave up stuff in return. In order to satisfy her meme build, she ended up giving up everything else and despite the nuke being OP she can't actually do anything else now.

Play anima is you want weeb D&D. It's crunchy but it has some cool shit.

Alternatively Meikyuu Kingdom works pretty well. Just fluff up the kingdom if you wish to be the mansion and you filling it up with workers and turning it into a castle town or some shit

>The Bard Archer
You mean arcane trickster? Even has ranged pickpocket

First post, best post.

>Lalatina