/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Charge Of The Dandy King Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
battlefieldanomalies.com/eylau/
mediafire.com/download/wzcuc9i0m8xxs3g/Osprey - MAA 185 - Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (1) Infantry.pdf
mediafire.com/download/dq7fyc54czhaoeq/Osprey - MAA 189 - Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (2) Cavalry.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/h14yg76hee9z3/Napoleon's_Army_and_Allies
mediafire.com/file/dkkoj6d37pyfuoa/Muskets and Tomahawks.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=FMGk_Fk_iJk
youtube.com/watch?v=6g5iAkmqRlY
youtube.com/watch?v=DF2ry7BfKgU
mediafire.com/file/qfnqhv704qo36e7/Beneath the Lily Banners 1st Edition.pdf
mediafire.com/file/2qu3t789ql4q94a/Beneath the Lily Banners 2nd Edition.pdf
warlordgames.com/test-of-honour-gameplay-free-pdf
mega.nz/#!vwMngZbR!91OrqgI5u2imvHC6h-8IgHkHyHmXZ997crB9O6tXhqw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

7th February in military history:

1074 – Pandulf IV of Benevento is killed battling the invading Normans at the Battle of Montesarchio.
1783 – American Revolutionary War: French and Spanish forces lift the Great Siege of Gibraltar.
1807 – Napoleonic Wars: Napoleon finds Bennigsen's Russian forces taking a stand at Eylau. After bitter fighting, the French take the town, but the Russians resume the battle the next day.
1813 – In the action of 7 February 1813 near the Îles de Los, the frigates Aréthuse and Amelia batter each other, but neither can gain the upper hand.
1842 – Battle of Debre Tabor: Ras Ali Alula, Regent of the Emperor of Ethiopia defeats warlord Wube Haile Maryam of Semien.
1900 – Second Boer War: British troops fail in their third attempt to lift the Siege of Ladysmith.
1943 – World War II: Imperial Japanese Navy forces complete the evacuation of Imperial Japanese Army troops from Guadalcanal during Operation Ke, ending Japanese attempts to retake the island from Allied forces in the Guadalcanal Campaign.
1944 – World War II: In Anzio, Italy, German forces launch a counteroffensive during the Allied Operation Shingle.
1951 – Korean War: Seven hundred five suspected communist sympathizers are butchered by South Korean forces.
1990 – Dissolution of the Soviet Union: The Central Committee of the Soviet Communist Party agrees to give up its monopoly on power.
2012 – President Mohamed Nasheed of the Republic of Maldives resigns, after 23 days of anti-governmental protests calling for the release of a Chief Judge unlawfully arrested by the military.

It is 210 years since the Battle of Eylau, a bloody and inconclusive clash between Napoléon's Grande Armée and a Russian Empire army under Levin August, Count von Bennigsen near the town of Preußisch Eylau in East Prussia. Late in the battle, the Russians received a timely reinforcement from a Prussian division. The town is now called Bagrationovsk and it is a part of Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia. The engagement was fought during the War of the Fourth Coalition, part of the Napoleonic Wars. Of all Napoleonic battles, this is considered to be the most uncertain and mysterious for several reasons — mainly the strength of Murat's reserve cavalry.

Napoleon's armies previously smashed the army of the Austrian Empire in the Ulm Campaign and the combined Austrian and Russian armies at the Battle of Austerlitz on 2 December 1805. Austerlitz forced the Austrians to sue for peace and their Russian allies to withdraw from the conflict. On 14 October 1806, Napoleon crushed the armies of the Kingdom of Prussia at the Battle of Jena-Auerstedt. After a rapid pursuit, the broken pieces of the Prussian army were destroyed at the Battles of Prenzlau and Lübeck and in a series of capitulations at Erfurt, Pasewalk, Stettin, Magdeburg, and Hamelin. Eylau was the first serious check to the Grande Armée and the myth of Napoleon's invincibility was badly shaken. However, the French would end up defeating the Russians later in the year at the Battle of Friedland.

In late January, Bennigsen's Russian army went on the offensive in East Prussia, pushing far to the west. Napoleon reacted by mounting a counteroffensive to the north, hoping to prevent their retreat to the east. After his cossacks captured a copy of Napoleon's orders, Bennigsen rapidly withdrew to the northeast to avoid being cut off. The French pursued for several days and found the Russians drawn up for battle at Eylau.

Entering the fight with 45,000 men to Bennigsen's 67,000, Napoleon was awaiting the arrival of Marshal Louis Nicolas Davout and Marshal Michel Ney with their corps.

Late in the day on the 7th, French troops began pushing into Eylau, opening a bitter struggle for the village that lasted well into the night. Costing each side around 4,000 casualties, sources are divided as to whether Napoleon ordered the attack or if French forces moved of their own accord with the goal of securing shelter from the winter weather. Bennigsen later claimed he abandoned the town to lure the French into attacking his centre the next day. Despite their possession of the town most of the French spent the night in the open, as did all of the Russians. Both sides did without food — the Russians because of their habitual disorganization, the French because of problems with the roads, the weather, and the crush of troops hurrying towards the battle.With darkness covering the field, both sides broke off the battle.

Fighting resumed after dawn on February 8, with a large-scale artillery duel as heavy snow storms swept across the battlefield. Awaiting the arrival of reinforcements, Napoleon ordered Soult's IV Corps to attack the Russian lines with the goal of fixing them in place.

Moving forward, Soult was beaten back as Bennigsen ordered an attack on the French left as well as sent cavalry against the head of Davout's corps which was arriving on the right. With the battle turning in the Russians' favor, Napoleon ordered Augereau to attack the Russian left with his VII Corps to relieve pressure on the right.

Ill with fever, Augereau had to be helped onto his horse. As the VII Corps advanced it became lost in the blowing snow. Wandering off course, Augereau's men arrived at the center of the Russian lines instead of the left. Hit with fire from a 70-gun Russian battery, as well as the blinded French artillery, the VII Corps was badly decimated with Augereau falling wounded.

Retreating back on Eylau with 3,000-4,000 survivors, the remnants of the VII Corps were soon attacked by Bennigsen's reserve infantry. Fighting a desperate battle, in which Napoleon was nearly captured, the center of the French line began to waver. Though reinforced by brigades from the Imperial Guard, Napoleon ordered Murat to charge forward with his 11,000-man-strong cavalry force to save the center.

Riding out in one of the grandest charges of the war, Murat's men split into two wings with one turning to rescue Saint-Hilaire's men and the other charging into the Russians attacking Eylau. Rarely had French cavalry played such a pivotal part in a battle. In part this was because, for the first time, Murat's men were now mounted on the best cavalry horses in Europe, freshly requisitioned in the aftermath of the conquest of Prussia.

Rejoining, Murat charged into the center of the Russian lines, destroying the batteries that had devastated the VII Corps. Retiring back to the French lines, Murat's horsemen had rescued the situation and allowed Davout's corps to deploy and join the battle. Though the Russian center was in shambles, Napoleon opted not to send the Imperial Guard forward as it was known that a 9,000-man Prussian force under General Anton Wilhelm von L'Estocq was in the area.

Instead, he advanced Davout's corps with assistance from Saint-Hilaire. As the afternoon wore on, they were able to push back the Russian left. Around 3:30, with the Russian line about to break, L'Estocq appeared and struck at Davout's exposed flank, forcing the French to fall back to their original positions. With the arrival of evening, Ney's corps marched onto the field around 7:00. Immediately deploying, they pressed an attack into the Russian right which lasted until 10:00. An hour later, Bennigsen ordered the army to quietly withdraw from the field. The exhausted French did not realize that the Russians had departed until around 3:00 AM on February 9.

A stalemate, the Battle of Eylau was the first major setback encountered by Napoleon and the Grande Armée. In two days fighting, the Russians suffered around 15,000 casualties. For the French, the battle cost between 10,000-15,000. Some estimates suggest that both armies incurred around 25,000. It was left to Marshal Ney to sum up. Riding over the fields of Eylau the following morning, Ney said, Quel massacre! Et sans résultat ("What a massacre! And without result").

The Battle of Eylau led to a continuation of the fighting which did not end until the Battle of Friedland in June. Decisively defeating the Russians, Napoleon's victory at Friedland effectively ended the War of the Fourth Coalition.

This is encounter that can truly be called epic and a definite must-fight for the Napoleonic gamer. The two most significant elements are the snowstorm and the effect it had on the battle, as well as Murat's celebrated charge.

>‘None of the great Napoleonic struggles is surrounded with more doubt and uncertainty than the battle of Eylau. Fact, myth and propaganda are almost inextricably intertwined, and different authorities give conflicting interpretations of almost every aspect and stage of the struggle'. - David Chandler

battlefieldanomalies.com/eylau/
mediafire.com/download/wzcuc9i0m8xxs3g/Osprey - MAA 185 - Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (1) Infantry.pdf
mediafire.com/download/dq7fyc54czhaoeq/Osprey - MAA 189 - Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (2) Cavalry.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/h14yg76hee9z3/Napoleon's_Army_and_Allies

The community project this month, is a mini or unit based on something from military fiction. The cutoff date is the 16th.

Pikes!

Does anyone have a PDF of a Song of Muskets and Tomahawks. I seem to have lost my copy. I uploaded it here some years ago but I can't find it in any of the OP links.

Whole bunch of WW2 aircraft arrived from tumbling dice today. Really wish they would label the little bags they send them in. 3 bags are labeled but the remaining 15 or so will require some minor detective work to discern which is which. Some are easy enough, but still...

Pic is what I just got, then I have a bunch of US and Japanese aircraft coming later on.

Making good progress on the ruleset - I'm sticking with my original idea for a title "Lacquered Coffins" as its unique and has an eastern front theme which I always tend to favor.
The main rules are done, all the aircraft research is done (163 different aircraft!), just need to type up the missions / deployment stuff and enter the aircraft lists and divide them by period. Probably 85% done.

So anyone here actually played a game of Spectre: Operations

Really want try the game out but I cant find many reviews on it.

What scale are those at? I've got some 1/285 Raiden WW2 that I run with Check Your 6. It's a fairly easy ruleset but people seem to like it or hate it....

Is there any interest for a super simple mass battle game from like the War of the Spanish Succession to maybe the FPW? Just a fun little thing for a quick Sunday night game.

It should be in the Horse & Musket/Games folder.

They're all 1/600
I got them all organized. telling the difference between the Spitfire and the Yak-1 was the hardest, even though it should be easy, at that scale they're very similar. In the end it was the canopy that gave the yak away - having the fuselage run right into the canopy, instead of having a bulging canopy like the spitfire. Now my autism can be sated and all my aircraft are labeled and ready for building / painting / gaming

CY6 sounds pretty good, I've looked through it often, I like the missions they provide, quite in-depth.

I've pretty much just used my WW1 Dogfight! system as a basis, just added rules for naval vessels, torpedoes, different types of ground attack targets, and some missions.

Finding comprehensive turn info is always the hardest part. You'd think there would be sites dedicated to WW2 aircraft stats with all the turn times listed, but I've yet to come across one.

Where can I find print and play battle maps or tiles for virtual gaming that are trench themed?
I am looking to use roll 20 to coordinate some games and was hoping to find smore more stylistic peices than just making crude things with their paint tools.

>Two rival officers in charge of merc companies during the thirty years war sounds kinda fun.

Oh, it is!
I played a Campaign like that several times already. And, since the goal is to have the most money at the end of the 30 yrs, it's interesting to see how people go about it.
Do you have a small, but elite corps kicking the shit out of the enemy & winning Rep needed to get hired (again)?
Are you a Politico, relying on charm to get hired, disbanding your troops when you don't need them / not paying them when you have them, and never seem to be winning any battle?
Are you a Landlord, grabbing Estates and Titles to your name, helping you keep & maintain a large army - which helps you win most battles - which gets you more Land/Titles.
Fun times.

Kinda off topic and I can't find it online but I saw a diagram in a vertebrate paleontology textbook when I was in college that showed silhouettes of various birds (maybe pterosaurs?) compared to British WW2 aircraft. Birds that dart around and swoop were very similar aspect ratio to a spitfire whereas soaring birds have very similar wing shapes as long range bombers

>Bf 109G turns wider than a Mustang and as wide as a P-47

>Bf 109 outturning anything
Naziboo detected

>two planes have roughly the same wing loading
>one plane weighs more than a metric ton less
>the HEAVIER plane supposedly turns better

Freedums detected.

>raw weight mattering in turn performance
Am I being trolled?

For the user wanting more meaning in their games and less equal-points-slugfests, the magic phrase is Table-Top Teasers. Also, CS Grant's scenario books for a slightly more generic version.

They're scenarios with something of interest going on, and the force lists for each side are relatively generic and easy to adapt to other periods.

The P-47 didn't have great turning, but it did have excellent rolling. P-47 made up to aerobatic ability with its insane armor. Pilots literally flew through large trees and could still get home and land
The BF109 had a 20 second turn time at sea level, I dont know if you can find similair data for the other aircraft, but if you can I'm sure it would help us answer some of these questions. Certainly I take these old pictures with a grain of salt and try to find hard data about turn times...

Also turning is often a case of sustaining speed rather than being able to turn tighter, you can turn tight as hell, but if you lose so much speed doing so, an aircraft with a larger turn but better power may be able to get on your tail.

>Also turning is often a case of sustaining speed rather than being able to turn tighter, you can turn tight as hell, but if you lose so much speed doing so, an aircraft with a larger turn but better power may be able to get on your tail.
Energy combat is lies of (((america))) and shows insufficient aryan fighting spirit

>Energy combat is lies
Even German pilots knew energy combat was a thing. All the pros usually boom n zoom anyway. Getting into a turning fight is only recommended if you're 100% sure you can win it. Comes down to pilot knowledge, and being able to identify and rate the enemy aircraft compared to your own.

Well, taking your competent pilots away from the air so they can teach newbies how to fly is lies of (((america))) then. Better to leave them up and use them as propaganda with inflated kill counts until they die covering your armies' retreat to berlin.

3,080 downloads since April 2014!

mediafire.com/file/dkkoj6d37pyfuoa/Muskets and Tomahawks.pdf

Ruggedness of American planes is generally History Channel crap. I bet you actually think the P-47 was a strike fighter.

I'm basing this purely on interviews with US pilots, and only talking about the P-47 here, it seems to be the most heavily armored of the lot. One guy describes a comrade flying through a large tree and the aircraft still being in once piece. The wings were bent backwards slightly, and a few cylinders stripped off the engine, but the thing still got him home and landed.
Then all the stories of pilots taking insane amounts of damage and still being able to fly home. So many pictures of pilots standing in the holes in their wings (the holes were large enough to stand in) after returning home. P-47 has earned a lot of respect from me just from watching interviews with US pilots.

The only other US aircraft I have earmaked for ruggedness (as in being harder to destroy than their fighter class implies) are: P-39, P-40, Vought F4U Corsair and the Grumman Wildcat.

Where can these reports be read?

>The only other US aircraft I have earmaked for ruggedness

SBU Dauntless?

If you haven't read Tully&Parshall's "Shatttered Sword", I highly recommend it. It discusses at some length the startling amount of punishment Dauntlesses took during and after the 3 hours of constant strike attacks against the Kidō Butai at Midway. The top-level Japanese pilots were emptying entire payloads of 20mm cannon rounds into Dauntlesses to get them out of the sky. They'd launch on the CAP, engage the incoming strike, and promptly land again to re-arm.

Sure the Dauntless was old and slow-ish (not nearly as bad off as the TBD Devastators, though), but they took some fairly heavy punishment, and they were reliable as hell in the field. Much better than their Helldiver replacements.

>SBU Dauntless?

Gah. SBD. Sorry, it's late. Well, technically it's very early. Remainder of the point stands.

>The top-level Japanese pilots were emptying entire payloads of 20mm cannon rounds into Dauntlesses to get them out of the sky.

Fuckin' Sparkle Thunder, man I tell ya

Mostly video interviews like this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=FMGk_Fk_iJk
This was pretty interesting too, plenty of interviews:
youtube.com/watch?v=6g5iAkmqRlY
If you know of any books or veteran memoirs, I'd be interesting in reading them!

Nice I'll add the Dauntless to the list. Often its the slow ones that had the most armor, and pilots saying "this was hard to shoot down" is good enough cause to make the thing slightly harder to shoot down, as the information on how much armor these aircraft had seems hard to find.

The only non-US aircraft I've found that seem to warrant being "armored" and take damage above their class are the IL-2 and the German Hs-129

I based up and primed 4 bf-109s, 4 LaGG-3s, 3 IL-2s and 3 Ju-88s. So that should get me started with playtesting and should be pretty quick to paint

>as the information on how much armor these aircraft had seems hard to find.

I'm not always sure it was outright "armor". If you compare the Japanese and US aircraft, the US aircraft were almost always much larger than the Japanese airframes. The Japanese airframes were *very* tightly packed; almost any hit was going to strike something. Additionally, they'd designed the airframes with relatively light internal bracing as a weight-saving measure.

In comparison, the US planes were larger. While a portion of that did indeed to to the additional bulk needed for self-sealing fuel tanks and the big radial engines, from what I recall the US aircraft had mush more robust structural members, and more of them. Additionally, there was actually a certain amount of "dead space" inside the aircraft where a round could enter and just not hit anything at all. And then there was the actual pilot armor on top of that.

Given that, it's unsurprisng that US aircraft were largely difficult to shoot down (Brewster Buffalo aside, of course). They were triple-ly durable over the Japanese planes; the added structure and the tougher structure meant they were less likely to break up and less likely to take catastrophic structural damage in the first place (respectively), and then you had actual armor and self-sealing avgas tanks on top of that.

Memoirs of German pilots who flew the 109 specifically mention that their main defense against Mustangs in particular was out-turning them.

The P-51 wasn't a dogfighter, it was a strict boom-and-zoomer that relied on high altitude advantage and numbers to do its job, which was also helped by being flown by highly trained pilots against kids who had barely passed flight school. People really need to put Red Tails and Dogfights out of their minds.

> The only non-US aircraft I've found that seem to warrant being "armored" and take damage above their class are the IL-2 and the German Hs-129
You might want to add the Typhoon to that list, much like the P-47 it enjoyed a reputation for taking an absolute beating to bring down (unless you hit the notoriously temperamental engine), and I've seen a good deal of pictures of pilots posing next to rather large holes in their wings or fuselage.

Nice added it in.

Painted up a few Bf-109s, will give some parts a second coat and a few touch-ups tomorrow. It will be a while until my transfers arrive from doms decals, so they wont really be "finished" for a while unfortunately.
Went for pic related classic scheme

>Given that, it's unsurprisng that US aircraft were largely difficult to shoot down (Brewster Buffalo aside, of course)

Mustang, too, at least if you hit the belly radiator.

By the way are we /Veltro/ up in this?

>Veltro
I haven't statted out any of the Italian aircraft...
I might as well considering they're quick enough to stat out.

PDF is what I have so far: the raw data which will be converted into the stats for the game

Interesting. Just going with basics for now and not worrying about specific versions?

You might want to delineate the Spitfires by Mark rather than wing type. I'd suggest Mk I (or IIa), Vb and IX if you had to pick three.

The versions will likely be broken down by period, provided there is a marked difference in game. I'll be simplifying quite a bit when I convert this data into stats for the game - for example anything with a speed of 500-800km/h will be "fast" so minor differences in speed may not make a difference in game terms.

There's always a balancing act between maintaining simplicity and having arcraft behave as they should (and be able to out-perform specific opponents that they historically could out-perform) so there may be some fine tuning in order to get things behaving correctly.
I already have 5 speed types so dont really want to add any more detail than that, it will just be where the cut-offs are that could change.

Pic shows my rough guide at present for how to convert into game terms. There will also be a "nimble" property for excellent turners (or rollers)
I think I got rid of Very Fast climb for simplicity sake, but I may bring it back depending on playtesting.

Nice, I'll look into that. Do the different marks have different arming? or are there different wing types within each mark? The armament is the distinguishing factor here, hence the delineation by wing type.

Anyone have experince with Battlegroup rules set?

Have a look at this if you want an idea of how it plays.
youtube.com/watch?v=DF2ry7BfKgU
I like the spotting rules but vehicle damage is a bit clunky imo. Still a solid ruleset though

As long as we Falco now too.

Thanks to a friend on another board, we have both editions of Beneath The Lily Banners, from those top blokes at the League of Augsburg.

A tabletop wargaming rule system designed to give players a real flavour for the tactics and troops used in Europe during the period 1660-1721. The game play is simple and quick to master. The mechanics are based on simultaneous movement regulated by easy to understand orders. The game can be played in 28mm or 15mm scale. 6-8 units per side will give two or three hours of fun. The rules will easily accommodate 100 units per side for grand battle scenarios. The 2nd edition has many refined mechanisms for orders, shooting, close combat and morale. The book has an updated events section with 52 ‘playing card’ controlled game events to add challenges and entertainment to the game play. The rules contain supplementary chapters for gaming the Great Northern War, Eastern Wars against the Ottoman Empire and King William’s War in North America 1689-1690.

mediafire.com/file/qfnqhv704qo36e7/Beneath the Lily Banners 1st Edition.pdf
mediafire.com/file/2qu3t789ql4q94a/Beneath the Lily Banners 2nd Edition.pdf

>mediafire.com/file/qfnqhv704qo36e7/Beneath the Lily Banners 1st Edition.pdf
Cheers!

>Brewster Buffalo aside
To be fair, that was a popular bird when it served outside the Pacific. Can't remember which country, but they loved the shit out of it.

IIRC there were modifications and environmental differences that screwed it over in the heat.

Finns, the Finns loved them. It overheated easily, but who gives a shit about that when the average temperature is below -10C?

Thank you but not Muskets and Tomahawks. I'm looking for the Song of Blades and Heroes spin off, it does have a similar name.

It is called Song of Drums and Tomahawks. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm just skimming the second edition, but the (optional?) random events rules have some great ones.

>Two units get into an argument over who has precedence and have to switch places (using normal movement rules).

>A colonel has been falsifying his muster rolls to claim extra rations & pay, one of your units loses a third of its deployed strength.

>A gun firing at a built-up area has to cease fire while the officer in charge sketches a particularly famous church.

>A unit hasn't been paid for two months, your general has to go over and negotiate new terms for a couple of turns or they'll fuck off.

>Your reserve got some confusing orders and your rearmost unit on the board is removed, marching on a few turns into the game from a random point on the table edge.

>Dust clouds off on a flank, you have to send some horse off-board for d3 turns to investigate what could be a massive enemy flank attack.

There are positive ones, too, but mostly it's an entertaining and useful list of things that could go wrong.

BMP

Hey friend, its in the wargames folder in the ganesha games sub-folder. Second entry from the bottom under the "Games, Ospreys & References folders" list.

>1783 – American Revolutionary War: French and Spanish forces lift the Great Siege of Gibraltar.
I thought this was part of The War of Jenkin's Ear?

I got a box!

technically it was 2 boxes.....2 boxes in 1 box!

with all the chatter of naval games as of recent days......so glad to finally get my hands on a couple of these titles.

Ah, cheers.

Cheers mate!

Could anyone give me a quick rundown or link to a good book on capital ships, as in their armaments, level of electronic sophistication compared to the 70s and 80s ect. of the major powers in the 50s and 60s, since that's an era of naval history that I know very little about and am getting interested in

I enjoy it. It's easy to learn, fast paced, very deadly (a wounded character hit again is dead). It's point system is a little bonkers though and it feels a little like a work in progress.

I see the Spaniards have allied Lilliput in this war.

Talk about Little Wars!

Image there is why I will always advocate for using something smaller than 28mm if you're representing formed units on a table.

Me and my friends have fun with the Hail Caesar rules (in 15mm) but we are looking for something of a campaign system.

We have 6 players in total but 2 don't have much units finished. Any cool system that you guys can recommend? I think all of us enjoyed the campaign in the old Rome Total War game, but in ''real'' wargaming none of us have played a campaign before.

I did have a nice escalation thing going in 2008 when my club started with Flames of War. One week I would paint a Tiger, next week my opponent had 4 M10 tank destroyers. Somebody would get and airplane, a week later everybody fielded AA. Great motivation and that is what I would like to stimulate again, but in our ancient wargaming.

Pic is during our last game.

The figs look great, user. I'd recommend checking out the campaign rules in WAB.

So, Warlord is doing a light Samurai based warband game

warlordgames.com/test-of-honour-gameplay-free-pdf

It seems to be based around single figures or multibased units of three, and is very much on the Saga-esque game-y side (special dice, skills and special attacks)

Is it total trash though? And would it look better played at 10mm with 3 figures for every 1 28mm figure? So a leader is three 10mm guys (leader and retinue) while a three figure team is three stands bunched together.

I have the WAB book, but there are no campaign rules in there?

1.0 or 2.0? I have the 1st ed softback that had rules for basic campaigning.

Ah, yes. I have version 2.

The cmapaign type rules are In Siege and Conquest.

Well fuck me, I found approx. 60 postcards from the front in my grandfather's belongings, all dated 1915-16. It was his grandfather's probably, and these are really interesting.

Post some pictures

Not sure if it'd be any use to any of you here, as it's written in Hungarian (with some of the postcards printed in German), but here you go.

looking for the WW2 version of Check Your Six and only found an expired Mega link - would anyone be able to help?

This one? It still works for me.
mega.nz/#!vwMngZbR!91OrqgI5u2imvHC6h-8IgHkHyHmXZ997crB9O6tXhqw

Ahh, now that I think of it that was the cover of a Napoleonic ruleset I tried, Et sans resultat!. A pal of mine was a fanatic for it and tried to push it hard.

All the times we tried it ended up as a disaster, so I'm curious if anyone else ever had different experiences.

You're a saviour Sir! Thank You.
Is it a lone link or part of a folder? Didn't find it anywhere in the folders on top

Eastern or Italian front or Balkans?

Unfortunately it's one of the rare titles to get DMCA'd on Mediafire, even in a zip; sometimes if a thing got flagged years ago you just can't upload it. I could change the title or something but then that would sort of defeat the point. So I put it on my more secure Mega and pop it up on request. As it happens CY6!- Jet Age is fine, I think that's in the general Wargaming folder.

yup, Jet Age is there, nevertheless, thanks!

I couldn't find any mentions of it, but my guess would be Italy as I've found a letter comlaining about the cold.

finished my German Mortar.

we have the Battle of the Bulge Bolt Action supplement yet? nah just kidding.

does anyone know where I can find the painting war magazine? is it somewhere in the Folders in the OP post? I can't find it there.

oh btw. thanks to the user who posted his warlord games coupon last year's summer, which allowed me to get the 105mm howitzer, that FINALLY got painted. thx user.

Aside from the obligatory "clean up your base edges" it looks really nice user.

>mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
Looks cold!

yeah, I know. I'll do that once everything is finished.
looks like I'm blind but I can't see the Battle of the Bulge file?

I want to build a small force of French voltigeurs for Chosen Men. I thought I could buy the Victrix French Napoleonic Infantry 1807 - 1812 and paint them in the voltigeur uniform colours. Would this work or are the uniforms too different?

BMP

Is this 6mm?

I have assorted historicals, but I haven't done all that much with many because I have no idea how to base them. It seems like every game does their own thing.

They look like Pendraken 10mm to me.

I'm pretty sure those bases are 20mm deep so yeah 10mm figures is almost certainly right.

Not every game does it's own thing, most of the big ones have standardised around measurements in multiples of 20mm, often 20x40mm if I remember right. So you'll typically see things in blocks like 120mm frontage split between 3 bases.

It's not that much of a problem though and it's quite easy to standardise across a group.

Can we IAR 80 as well?

COUSIN?

playing the '56 campaign from John Tillers "Mideast'67" as Israel.

24 hours into the battle. Only 2 Battalions of the northern 77th Divisional Group have been released. They did manage to breach the wire and mines south of Rafah and made some headway but both battalions were forced to pull back from stiff Egyptian defense. When the rest of the Division is released I forsee rolling over those defenders in no time flat.

The 38th Divisional Group has had more success managing to clear the villages of Um Tarpa and El Qusaima before running into layered wire and mine defenses outside of Um Katef. As the Division is hitting from both the north and the south I expect I will be able to clear Um Katef and push onto Abu Agheila by this time tomorrow.

The 202nd Parachute Brigade managed to land intact at Mitia pass and cleared it of Egyptian forces before settling into defensive formations. The relief column of the 202nd is however still 75 kilometers away and running into scattered resistance which is slowing their advance.

The 9th Infantry Brigade which has been tasked with advancing down the East coast of the Sinai Penninsula to capture the southern town of Sharm El-Sheikh has made excellent progress having not encountered any Egyptian resistance as of yet. They have advanced about 60 kilometers unimpeded.

The lack of dedicated reconnaissance units I have found-disturbing. Lead Infantry Battalions have been forced to play that role and have run into prepared defenses and taken higher than expected losses due to it. Egyptian air has made several appearances over the battlefield but Isreali air has been successful in driving them off except in scattered instances.