Stat them

Stat them

No, seriously. I kinda want to use the Qu for a thing

Can equip gun on dick

I feel like Qu are one of the types who benefit from being mysterious, terrible and unknowable, really. I don't know if making them something you can kill is a great idea.

That would require knowing what system you want to use them with ya dildo.

wha wha wha, fine. 40k or Pathfinder. Happy?

That works too, I haven't really decided if I want to go full lovecraft or not.

Like tyranids but all of them are perfectly sapiant(and eldrittcly dogmatic)
They would also make fine use of 'regular' technology ((on the hard end of the spectrum)) along with the biomagic you would normally expect from such explicet masters of fleshcraft.

Like said they are supposed to be mystereus, near mystical things only seen on the sidelines but all the vital regardless.

Remove Qu
Remove Organics
Delete this

Fuck off mechanical

Do it yourself.

I don't feel like the Qu were meant to be unstoppable. The Colonials repelled two waves of Qu invasion forces before falling to the third, so I'm assuming they can be killed with weapons if they have 40K firepower. You'd have to make them appear as a smaller group or splinter to actually make them a force that is possible to be beaten though.

Settings are the key friendo, especially here when for all intents and purposes in the original book they were meant to be somewhat unstoppable form a human perspective

Is that dude sticking his penis in another dude's orifice?

They're all hermaphrodites, so... yes.

That's my post! hah

REMOVE
REMOVE QU
REMOVE FALSE INHERITORS OF MAN

Stat for what? Name the system if you want a real answer.

Stats: Fucking anything
Seriously, they're masters of genetic engineering. We know they have some equivalent of grunts that can be repelled, and that the higher castes are seldom seen, just do whatever is convenient. Pull a chimera ants and make each one unique.

Just from looking it and with my basic knowledge of All Tomorrows, I'd say the following:

>Highly mobile and difficult to hit. Despite how fragile it looks, it's probably more durable than it first appears and might take some time to subdue.
>Single limb is highly dexterous and good for grappling, likely has a bite-attack if it is able to physically restrain an opponent. Otherwise, it can hold a single weapon in the limb.
>Weapons are probably devastating. I'd go with weapons that are either single-fire or have a constant effect when activated. To make these weapons all the more terrifying, have their discharge be invisible to the naked eye. I'm talking about heat lances that make the air ripple and suddenly everything on fire, or radiation emitters that quickly warp anything organic in their path into cancerous lumps of flesh (yes, I know that isn't how radiation works but it's sci-fantasy shit) and other similar high-tech stuff. Anything that can inflict a horrific sort of destruction while appearing to be invisible.
>Each Qu should be accompanied by any number of specialized drones, each with a unique purpose. Protective drones that extend some sort of energy shield, weapon-totting drones with targeting systems, disruptor drones that provide sensory bombardment that cause nausea (in everyone except the Qu and its drones, of course), reconnaissance drones equipped with all manner of detectors, engineering drones to tamper with technology and so on. As they are a species reliant on genetically engineering a lot of their tools, expect them to have drones for almost every imaginable purpose.

I personally wouldn't even have Qu as dedicated combatants, fighting on the frontlines. That's what drones are for. Any Qu you encounter are probably just curious, enterprising individuals risking their lives at the front lines in the name of scientific discovery or entrepreneurial efforts. Yet even these civilian Qu should be a boss fight for the players.

First day on Veeky Forums?

>eldritchly dogmatic

How would you do this?

Their stats are "you lose."

Doggedly following a set of rules that makes no sense or has no logic to the basic minds of the player characters. Routines, mannerisms, beliefs and actions that seem to be totally illogical and have no grounding in reality by any human standard.

until they get beaten later in the story you menn?

They're never really beaten though, the unreliable narrator just says that what happens after doesn't really matter and you can imagine your own ending (or something to that effect)

>I personally wouldn't even have Qu as dedicated combatants, fighting on the frontlines. That's what drones are for.
>Implying the winged creature seen in All Tomorrows is an actual Qu rather than just one of their drones.

>if they have 40K firepower
the star men were able to wipe out entire solar systems easily and still got btfo

And eventually were "subdued" by the Asteromorphs.

I'm guessing that one of two things happened;

1. They were brought low as humanity in ages past were brought low. The Asteromorphs had regained human malice or the sight of the Qu and the knowledge of what they had done and wanted to do again sickened them. The price of an inhumanly great mind is that when anger is aroused it is inhumanely great. Think dragonfly Colonials.

2. The lobotomized them and made them domesticated like they did to make the New Machines. They were remade to serve humanity for the rest of the life of their species.

Given their beliefs it's hard to say what would have been most horrifying for them.

All we know is

REMOVE QU!

DIGIMON IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN POKEMON

Yeah, but they were borderline gods, not full flung gods like, well, Star Trek Q's. They lost some battles, and when they won the war, exacted painful revenge for those losses (as per the pic the post you are replying alludes to).

I suppose the easiest way to represent that, would be to make them individual weak and fragile. Some of their smaller fleets might be stat'able, and defeatable (though narrowly, and with extraordinarily losses.) But they may also have capital ships and certain devices, that they don't always immediately employ, that are godlike enough that you basically plug in "unknown" numbers.

That said, to answer OP's question, give them crap physical stats and incredible technology. Give them fleets of fighter ships, where each fighter has the capacity of the average race's destroyer, and tend appear in the same numbers as the primitive race's fighters... Then toss in a few super-weapons and ships that absolutely nothing in the universe can stand against, but they don't always immediately deploy (possibly due to there not being a lot of them).

The fact that the Qu left, and the surviving species eventually prepared for their return, does beg the question though - are there races even the Qu is scared of, or did they just get bored?

Actually it's been so long since I've read it, I can't remember if the Qu ever did come back - I don't think so - but the super-brain space humans that evolved so long after they left seemed to be about on par with their magi-tech.

You would have to add a bunch of near-magical effects to retain the mysteriousness and horror factors. Not just unimaginably destructive or indestructible shit that is beyond the science of the tenants of the universe, but absolutely horrifying stuff that is beyond all explanation.

For instance, you could shoot the left side of Qu battleship with your desperately created experimental superweapon, fail to destroy it, but everyone crewing the weapon - and possibly for light years around - feels an intense crippling pain in their side... Fire again, this time hitting what appears might be the bridge, still fail to destroy it, but this time everyone for light years around feels the pain in their heads, and half of them die.

...or Qu ship enters solar system, and everyone in it just suddenly starts devolving and sprouting tentacles for no apparent reason.

That sorta shit.

The Shadows from Babylon 5 were somewhat less powerful than the Qu, but it was quite clear that, while you might be able to inflict some losses on them, if they went full bore, they would fuck you in ways you couldn't imagine. If anything, the only reason they didn't kill everyone in the galaxy, aside from the competing philosophy of the equally if not more powerful Vorlons, is that they didn't want to. They merely wanted to help the lesser races evolve by embracing "chaos" and "might makes right", while the Vorlons wanted to do the same through "discipline" and "order".

Granted, it's hard to say the Shadows weren't evil, given how willing they were to inflict horror and pain, but set against the Qu, their end goals were comparatively benign.

I feel like the way the Qu might work in a setting would be a race that's a hybrid between the Covenant from Halo and the Tyranids.

The way they fight would be instead of fighting you face to face, they'd instead have a bunch of technologically/biologically engineered servitor races they use to fight instead of throwing themselves into the fray.

Eventually though, if it turns out the humans are actually being able to turn back the tide, then they'd go in the with forces themselves. Due to them being billions of years old, I'd imagine they would've used some of that time at least to "improve" upon themselves as well as other races. For example, they might have really fast regeneration so if you shot/hacked off one of their wings it would regrow in seconds, or they can spontaneously mutate themselves to have appendages that might seem advantageous to the current situation.

However, if the humans are actually successful in killing the actual Qu leading the forces (which I doubt even multiple Space Marines would be able to take on something like that), then the rest of the Qu's forces would fall in disarray, like when Tyranids lose their synapse creatures. They'd devolve into either writhing on the ground from their painful forced mutations, mauling each other, or just being flat-out braindead from not having a Qu to direct them.

Damn, I love threads like these. Anyone care to share some fluff from their own homebrewed race of eldritch entities? I need some creative inspiration.

I got one, but it needs finesse.

click to see monster
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

Am I the only one who actually wants us to make an All Tomorrows inspired tabletop game now?

That's tricky to do when the story takes place over so many millions of years. I mean, you could pick an era and go, but it'd lose the raison d'etre. All the critters are so inhuman (despite their distant origins) that they'd be difficult to relate to, and that'd also risk it turning into a comedy campaign.

Not that it'd be terrible, but it'd have a pretty narrow appeal, if it didn't go cult classic.

I suppose the only alternative would be some sorta strategy vydia like cross between Civilization and Spore, but a whole lot darker than either.

The Qu are not Owl Bears.

Everything is if you squint hard enough

>you could pick an era and go
Think that'd be good enough.

You could set up base stats for each entry in the story, and give each a level pool for points based on how nasty they are, then set a range limit to what level critters you are going to allow to be PCs in your campaign.

Working out equipment and tech would be a rather staggering effort, but maybe you could simply adopt an existing system with a wide range of tech. Traveller has nearly that breadth, you'd just have to treat everything nearing Qu levels as "Ancients" Tech 15+.

After that, it's just filling in the various blanks for the cultural bits and picking your conflicts, all of which the story gives a good base to work from.

Yeah, might be bretty gud.

...There is, however, the potential risk of a "furry" element sneaking in though. /nobadfun

...I just stepped in a Veeky Forums meme, didn't I?

Careful not to track it all over the house

That's just called religion.

I'm gonna say they got completely BTFO by the asteromorphs due to billions of years of stagnation and had every trace of their civilization completely erased. That is the most horrifying fate for the Qu. They probably left one alive but kept it a secret, just so they know at least one Qu has to experience the full horror of his species being so thoroughly destroyed that no one even knows they were real.

Asteromorphs: Don't talk to me or my clade every again.

Litteraly BTFO by space NEETs with jetpack anuses.

>I kinda want to use the Qu for a thing
>thing
...more specifically?