/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Do you play online or offline, /5eg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0TRPtEN0b7g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I play offline with my friends. They have no idea how much of a weird perv I am.

could never find a decent game online.

was invited once tho, about a month after i submitted my character "resume" and had given up on online roleplaying

i have way more experience playing offline.

Just how big is Sigil?
I'm running a game that takes heavily from Planescape with elements from Eberron and FR so I want to know just how much extra bullshit I could fit inside the city.

I am currently part of three offline games and one online game. I'd like to add one more online game, but shit, everything on Roll20 is fucking awful. I'd love to get into a Veeky Forums Roll20 5e game.

the witcher 3 has some very good stuff in this category. TES soundtracks also work pretty okay.
this. alongside decent armorless AC, some neat team defensive tools, and good dmg and mobility, stone sorcerer is very well rounded. is also gr8 multiclassed with paladin for more potential burst and tankiness

What's a good way to handle a character trying to spy on an Evil Goddess that's incognito as fuck? If it helps, she knows how to have a good time.

I play online. I used to have an offline group made up of friends in college, but well, everyone is scattered all over the US now so I had to find new people.

Maybe I should see if some shops have local games but gameshop games tend to be pretty bad.

>I'd love to get into a Veeky Forums Roll20 5e game.
I don't think you know what you're asking for m8

>group consists of 2 half-orc crit fighters and 1 wizard and sorcerer

>I am the sorc and I have twinned spell and Haste as well as Hold person

RIP HUMANOIDS.

What the fuck do DM's even do to this? I mean.. we have to fight humanoids pretty frequently in this campaign too.

How fucked is the DM?

You'd be correct. It couldn't possibly be worse than some of the filth I've seen on Roll20, can it?

>can it?
Pic related?

I'd be afraid to try. I'm also afraid to try R20...

I've gotten into several Roll20 games. None of them lasted past the first session. Some didn't even reach the first session. You'd have a group of people ready to go, DM seemed eager and ready, then either nobody would show up, the DM wouldn't show up, or something along the lines and the whole thing was just called off on account of nobody fucking being there when it was time to play. The one game I do play on Roll20 is with myself and a group of online friends I've known for four years.

I used to play offline with my pals back in highschool, but then I moved away for college. Thankfully I was able to find a game store close by that's been overall a pleasant experience to dnd at. Never tried online dnd, but Id be willing to give it a shot. Only playing once a week for 4-5 hours isn't enough to scratch my itch.

Going to be a 1st time DM for a group of newbies.

Should I buy the 3 core books (DM guide, Player's guide, Monster guide) or is the Starter Kit fine?

What are the essentials/suggested materials for a first time group?

Use the mega trove in the OP. Only allow players to use content from the PHB until you have some experience under your belt. I don't even know what is in the starter kit, but the 3 core books have everything you need and more.

The Monster Manual can be bought as a compendium expansion on Roll20 now.

If anyone who buys it (I know it's a shit deal, but IF anyone buys it) and wants to share the tokens from there for the Mega trove, it would be appreciated. Having tokens for the entire Monster Manual would be great alongside the VGM tokens we have.

This big.

If they're worth their salt? Not fucked at all. You'll steamroll a few encounters, then encounters will probably start to include things that will counter or match the party.

Any dm worth his salt can build challenging encounters for his players, regardless of how bullshit the party is. Your party seems to be lacking any dex or wis classes, so traps or spells that require dex/wis saves against the party will be effective. Yea you'll be great at fighting a small number of humanoids a few times a day, but outside of that I see nothing particularly unstoppable about your party.

Players handbook, which can be found in the trove, is the bare minimum for playing a game. Dms book and monster manual are very, very useful, but aren't necessarily required.

Over a million, a third of that is permanent residents. It's on a donut shaped area roughly 20 miles in radius.

I mean the DM can do literally anything. It's only by their good graces that players aren't just completely fucked no matter what.

That sucks. I only play with one group and it's in person. Unfortunately, a lot of them seem like they want to try something other than a fantasy setting next and will probably want to ditch 5e (even though it's everyones first time with the system). I would love to play at least a couple more games but it's such a pain to find a group. But it's also pretty unreasonable to throw half a dozen random strangers together and expect everything to go well right off the bat. You just can't win.

Nigga, Sigil is big af. It can hold everything you can imagine, especially if you don't actually give your players an estimative of it's size.
Most recent book says it got 250k people but according to it's area and using an average medieval city density it would hold about 4 million people, with many, many more visitors coming in and out everyday.
You can fit any amount of bullshit there.
Pic related that I was gonna post but got ninja'd.

How is the book of lair from kobold press? As a new DM, I am looking for a nice and quick one shot premodule game.

I'm looking to play a Halberd fighter what's the best way to boost my AC, should I go strength or dex? I'm going to lose out on two because of the lack of a shield.

>what's the best way to boost my AC
Platemail and defense fighting style, or go eldritch knight and nab Shield.
>should I go strength or dex?
Str, halberds aren't finessable.

>halberd
>dex
I guess you could do that if you went kensai?

Too bad it's a mess
And fixing it makes it OP or something

Actually if you did go kensai you would eventually have higher AC than if you were wearing full plate, and you can't use a shield anyway.

A wood elf would easily start with 16 dex, 16 wis, so you would need to essentially blow all your feats on getting to 20/20 with one slot left for PAM.

How can you split your character into two beings? (IE Im a sorcerer who wants to make a complete female copy of myself.)

Edit: Not for lewds
.....Kind of for lewds

Only shit DMs allow feats at their table anyway.

>Edit

Also, how does one find a group to play with normal looking people, only group I know are casuals and don't really know or care about playing and screw around too much. Yet at the same time every shop I see just fat people, skinny nerds, pizza faces and other ugly people. I just want a group who look half as decent as their characters and still know how to play.

>only shit DMs allow character options
Have you considered that you're objectively stupid

You'll never get a group of normal looking people in it as long as you're in it, user.

>>/pfg/

Ay Im good-looking cause I care about fashion and appearance (Did it purely for attention cause I love people looking at me.) But why are 75% of and players spergs.

Also, how is Pathfinder different from DnD thought about checking it out.

I'm making a Gnoll (refluffed Bugbear) Revised Ranger. I've already got my DM's permission to use UA.

I was thinking of making him a Horizon Walker but I'm kind of stuck for background ideas.

Pathfinder sounds like the perfect game for you.

How so user?

He's calling you a faggot essentially.

Na-Nani?!?!?! How did he know?!?!

(Petty? Yes. Faggot? Nah.)

Noble Knight
Feature: Retainers. You have the service of three retainers loyal to your family. These retainers can be attendants or messengers, and one might be a majordomo. One of your retainers is a noble who serves as your squire, aiding you in exchange for training on his or her own path to knighthood. Your two remaining retainers might include a groom to care for your horse and a servant who polishes your armor (and even helps you put it on).
Your retainers (2 commoners, 1 noble) can perform mundane tasks for you, but they do not fight for you, will not follow you into obviously dangerous areas (such as dungeons), and will leave if they are frequently endangered or abused.

Basically the best thing ever.

If you can give me a good reason for a Good Gnoll who focuses on fighting threats from other planes to be a Knight with Retainers, I'll be shocked and impressed.

>posting the worst couple in the series
No, maybe you should be called a faggot.

You were a smalltime bandit Gnoll who was simply minding his own business when a group of holy knights and mages decided to set up camp in your forest (The nerve!) So yo, being the most honourable of Gnolls, decide that since their stuff is in your forest, it belongs to you. Yet as you go to claim your rightful belongings you notice the mages are weaving intricate signs and carving strange runes. In your interest you decided to spare them for the time being to see what was going on. Then a bright rift tore the camp asunder before calming down into the mages focus. First you saw them smile, but then... fear. Then you saw what the were afraid of. Writhing tentacles, a creature so ancient yet so horrible you knew it could not have come from this world. Then the creature began to tear through the rift and though the holy knights and mages tried to stop it, it tore each into pieces. One exception stood in it's way. A knight with a flowing golden cloak with a shield of sunlight. He alone clashed with the beast and though he tried his best, he inevitably fell into it's clutches. But then... the chanting begun. The knights sword lit up like a thousand candles and in one swift slash, the creature's many horrid arms evaporated. The knight lay bloodied and battered as you approached, no longer wanting the stuff they were temporarily borrowing from you, but curious as to what had occurred. It was then that the knight told you of the existence of planes and extraplanar threats. You would then realize that maybe your forest is not the only thing you must protect. He would go on to train you to fight against these threats to your realm and recreate his holy order with you as his second. Yet one day he simply disappeared (Or died) and know, it is your turn to lead.

True OTP

Well crap on a croquet course, good job.

I will shamelessly steal that for my character now so thank you.

np man, I just do it cause I got nothing better than to help anons.

Assuming Gnolls are somewhat Tribal in this setting.

You are to a King's Guard for your Chieftain. Rangers are the equivalent to knights in your tribe. They are defenders of the wild, seen as noble by the Gnolls of your and other tribes. They uphold a sacred duty to scout and hunt.

Your chieftain was slain by monsters from another plane. You set out to get revenge and uphold your sacred duty to your chieftain

Maybe you found ancient tapestries and tomes of your people in the chieftain's hut about the other planes and studied them.

You were the head of the Chieftain's personal guard. You have a Gnoll you who were training and 2 Gnoll servants.

A Knight isn't always a Paladin or someone in heavy armour with a shield.
Nobility comes in many forms, not just through Kings and Queens. being a Noble just indicates you are of a higher public station than others in your culture and people in other cultures can know that too.

>He's a Gnoll [Insert title of knight in Gnoll culture]
>I've heard about those...famed trackers and hunters
>Look at his emblem...he's...he's a bloodpaw!
>L-let's get out of here, i don't want their whole tribe to come after us!

Tbh senpai, I'm pretty interested in DM'ing for /5eg/ too.
I wonder if it'll end up as a bunch of creeps or just some chill fa/tg/uys.
But'll probably have to be in the summer when I don't have my hands full with college

If you do, I'll be here. I just want to play out my character concepts, and none of them include magical realm shit.

Download the SRD from the main site or visit open5e.com. It has most of the content from the 3 main books and it's free. Only missing some class options, backgrounds, a few spells, and monster fluff. I'm surprised so much is in there.

This might be a long shot but... does anyone have DM Johnny's Puzzle Creation System?
I've been trying to contact him for a couple weeks now, but I can't get a response.

What's the best damage you can do with magic missile while still having counterspell (so you aren't ruined by enemy counterspell or shield).

Start with a girl. Then she will invite her BF and friends.

>still having counterspell
You'd need five levels in wizard, warlock, or sorcerer, which pumps your twilight druid down to 12. You'd end up with 6d10 instead of 8d10 per shot, but you still have 8th and 9th-level spells.

1d4+1+6d10 x11 = 401.5
1d4+1+6d10 x10 = 365

401.5+365 = 766.5

hmm now that I think about it, just 3 level of Sorcerer for subtle spell might work? Unless my DM is a faggot and use shield / counterspell on subtle magic missile anyway.

does this look balanced? DM already oked it but i dont want to show up and be OP af or anything

What the fuck is wrong with you and your DM? This isn't balanced.

>Hunter Ranger's 15th-level feature but better at 3rd level
>24 AC in light armor with a shield
>dash+disengage
>balanced

Whirlwind Attack is better then a Hunter Rangers 11th level ability because it works with Reach.

Whirlwind defense is an awful idea. At 3rd level you can be wearing Light armor with 16 Dex and have 18AC which goes to 20 in a level and works with a Shield.

Blitzkrieg's is a good ability but isn't 7th level normally a flavor thing for Fighters?

Additional Fighting Style is reasonable even if I don't see the flavor.

Impossible Parry is hard for me to rate but seems overpowered.

Blink Strike is fucking retarded.

This is fucking terrible.

>all attacks you are made with

What

No. Just, no. Stop it.

Just compare it to existing ability.
Whirlwind attack is Hordebreaker on drug. Why do you think it is okay at all?

Whirlwind Defense just show that whoever make this archetype doesn't understand about system mechanic and bound accuracy.

Blitzkrieg is actually okay.

Game higher than level 10 doesn't exist so I won't bother reading the rest.

Stop using danddwiki

Single handedly got the thread back in gear with just how shitty this homebrew is. Well done I guess.

> Sorcerer UA sageadvice
> people still asking whether Stone Sorcerer AC 13 + CON stack with X.

Now I feels bad for JC. Having to repeat himself over the same thing.

actually dnd-wiki

Ok so I'm trying to make a Fighter/Rogue multiclass based around the Mariner fighting style. Sailor or Pirate variant background.

I was thinking of starting the PC as a fighter with chain mail armor, a dagger and a scimitar. What would be a good split between fighter and rogue? Fighter 15 and 5 rogue or 3 fighter and 17 rogue?

I would like to pick the swashbuckler archetype but which one is better, Sword Coast or Unearthed Arcane? Would only 3 levels in Battle Master be good?

Some of the feats I'm looking at are Dual Wielder, lucky, mobile and sentinel. Is mobile redundant with fancy footwork? I like the idea of not being hold down by difficult terrain. Does sentinel only work better with polearms or can it work with a sword?

FR

Full Orc Monk. Raised by some other race, adoptive parents died, forced into solitude for being an orc afterwards as backstory. Chaotic Good. Uncomfortable in the party but owes them for getting him out of a situation.

Suggestions on a deity for patronage?

Best suggestion I had gotten from someone else had been Illmater

>tfw my group are all good looking save one guy and one girl who are just average
>we play every week IRL and no one is that guy

I joined a general meetup of randomers, it's not too bad.

>average looking woman DM
>decent looking bloke
>decent looking foreign lanklet
>Pedro
>me

Since the other thread closed, here is another suggestion for semi-low key battle music: youtube.com/watch?v=0TRPtEN0b7g

There's no second d
It's just dan dwiki

Does anyone know where I can find info on werewolf mechanics? I'm sure I saw some on the general the other day and I didn't think they were homebrew, but I'm not coming up with much.

Secondary question, I'm planning to be a DM at some point in the future - how do you stat your villains? For basic monsters and such you generate from MM and similar I'd imagine, but do you build BBEG the same way you'd build a PC?

Offline only.

>dand wiki

You probably want someone else in the party to handle counterspell.

Just make a melee hunter you fucking dipshit

Unwilling disciple/chosen of Beshaba, his luck is always terrible, and he has turned to inner peace and self sufficiency to deny the twists and turns of fate.

Sune, he spends his life perfecting his bodily form. Inner peace leads to outer beauty, and he hopes to bring out the light of his party.

He could be pay patronage to Milil, he could hum to himself for meditation, launching into song while fighting. He fell in with a group of wonderful traveling musicians, learning every part, and now he can play 3 of them simultaneously.

PCs do too much damage and don't have enough health. Just make a monster, give them whatever features you want, and call them whatever.

I'm playing as a UA Ranger. At 1st level for favored enemy, I selected Humanoid, as my character's backstory included an elf noble raping and killing his beloved, and now subsequently masquerades as a noble man to track and find this noble. My DM felt that Humanoids was too OP'd and broad a category, and only allowed me to select two specific humanoids to apply favored enemy too, them being Goblin and Lizardman, as that was who we were facing at the time.

Thoughts? I don't feel that Humanoids is too broad a category, as there are plenty of other types of nasty things to fight that aren't.

I don't know about other tables but Ranger has already had a hard enough time so far. I allow all humanoids; why not give the Ranger some class exclusive utility?

God forbid your Dm has Rangers be useful for once

Humanoids is pretty damned broad, if it is an option, it should be the higher level one.

I do think goblinoids should be a legit choice though, so if someone wanted Elves, Humans, or Dwarves i'd be fine.

What features do guardian, seeker and stalker paths for the UA ranger give at levels 7, 11, and 15?

They clearly replace the ranger archetypes, but the features they give at later levels aren't in the UA article

These are all really good. Thank you.

Werewolf curse doesn't affect PC IIRC. They are that gary stu.

Monster and PC rule are separate for a reason.

But you could certainly create your own monster within the guideline. There is a monster creation workshop in DMG, read through that.

>Werewolf curse doesn't affect PC IIRC. They are that gary stu.
Entirely incorrect.

What?
Try reading again.

Doesn't matter too much, I'm planning out a villain anyway - a sort of "hunt the werewolf" gig.

This is the pic I was looking for! What's this from, MM?

>This is the pic I was looking for! What's this from, MM?

MM, page 207

>Beshaba
>Chaotic Good
It should obvious by the way better Tymora. Seeking a life worth living, an adventure at every corner and good friends to be with

I'm sorry you can't branch out from the obvious user.