Sci-fi setting

>sci-fi setting
>Psycothic military dictatorship that wants to destroy everything
>Military democracy that req. enlistment for citizenship and is represive
>Communist utopia in habited by smug cunts
>In-direct democracy with dystopic bureocracy

Why is there no fucking Direct Democracies or Social Democracies in space, who writes this shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Main reason, is because it's easier to keep repeating cliches made up by other people rather than figuring out your own stuff.

One could also argue that space is too big for direct democracy.
But at the same time space is too big for any government style.

Pretty sure that social democracy falls under the in-direct bureaucracy dystopia senpai.

>Direct Democracies
How would that work for something as big as a multi-planetary entity? It hardly even works for small countries like Switzerland.
Also, social democracy is an in-direct democracy.

Some settings like Eclipse Phase are actually infamous for giving anarchists/ancaps/left-libertarian utopias more importance than they probably deserve

Realistically the "space empire" or even just a homeworld probably can't do direct democracy or anarchy and still achieve anything coherent. They work for small colonies and offshoots.

>direct democracy

Unless there is somehow an unhackable way for everybody to vote via the spacenet this is untenable for an interplanetary setting.

Even with internet voting direct democracy works best in the tens of thousands population range or lower. If you want Athens in space by all means write it.

I am sure you could do something interesting in a system without easily habitable planets where every space habitat has direct democracy. Then have each one send representatives to the system council or whatever.

Go write it and see if it holds up, I guess. I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea or anything, I just can't imagine it being credible.

>tfw I want to write a scenario about a democratic uprising starting up a civil war in a military state but cannot write any ending that has the republic side winning

I can see it but it involves the "republican" side ruthlessly destroying large portions of the civilization.

How about this

>Since da futur, no one works full time
>Every mentally functioning adult has to vote and research state matters
>A certain percentage of the population has to vote on it to pass

What can go wrong?

If you throw in the 'fair-voting' method, then theoretically nothing. That sounds like it could theoretically work.

I could easily see some mass-extrapolated version of democratic confederalism functioning in lieu of those kinds of systems, though.

>'fair-voting' method

What the fuck is a 'fair-voting' method

Why "military in power" is suposed to be a "bad" cliche Veeky Forums? When civilian organizations fail to deliver a functioning society its just natural for the military to step in and solve things...

Hippies don't get to vote and this triggers them.

Because military governments are always inefficient as fuck and throwing people off helicopters isn't a measurement of efficiency, it's unrealistic and stupid.

P.s. You pol babbies are likely too fat to pass boot camp, you wouldn't be voting

>unrealistic

First time that I have heard this being used as an insult towards Argentina

Military fuck the economy, unless they are being propped up by US (see. Turkey)

lol
>implying the military can even unfuck itself

>You pol babbies are likely too fat to pass boot camp, you wouldn't be voting
This has to be ironic shitposting at this point

Ei viddu :DDDD

>that spelling "ability"
Stay in school.

> If I took you out of that foxhole, would you die?
> Id would be exdremely painful : DDDD

>for u :DDDDD

>Spiritual commune, following the edicts of a single spiritual leader
>Collective with linked minds, voting by instinctual desires
>Seasonal changes transform members into less intelligent forms, then to more intelligent forms and back
>Democracy of clones
>Dictatorship by original clone
>Government decisions are decided by luck
>Society entirely governed by outsider voting
>Meritocracy based constant monitoring of body and mind capabilities, only top scoring are full citizens
You can do all sorts in sci-fi, ya dingus

Spurdo is a miracle of the universe.

> It's eleventh century Catholicism
> But in space
> Except instead of the pope it's a Sapient Megalodon

Obviously Megalodon is the purest species. They were Raptured by God, so we genetically engineered one to be out Pope.

...How does he address the clergy? Does he speak a human language?
>Inb4 Latin jokes

He just boops out orders onto a giant computer screen on the side of the pope enclosure.

>How would that work for something as big as a multi-planetary entity?

There's at least one way it could work, in theory...

Finngols truly arre god tier shitposters

Presumably anything better than plurality.

The irony is that the unwashed masses instantly consider anything other than plurality voting to be arcane and suspect at best, and outright unfair or a conspiracy against the voters in most cases.

The US military actually doesn't want you if you weigh too much anymore. It's not even a fat as fatass level. A 5'11" guy that weighs 190 pounds is almost too fat for the US military, and at that weight the fat doesn't even begin to form rolls.
>Captcha was a helicopter carrying a humvee

Direct democracies don't work. Simply put, the people don't have the time to deal with the day to day management of a country.

Every citizien has a smartphone (or the wetare cyberpunk equivalent) and can vote on shit directly. Or for added security, shit is at home and every night you could vote for that.
The real problem is actually discussing the laws proposed, I guess you should kinda elect a speaker for proposals based on numbers? The speaker/proposals with more votes are gonna get discussed?

>not gonna say it's gonna be a GOOD idea, but still, it's pretty much perfectly thinkable

I mean, if you can figure out FTL communications you've just invented a way for everyone to vote remotely.

Whether that's a feasible style of government when you're talking about ruling planets is another hurdle.

>people living on planets instead of space bases

atmospheric entry and exit takes meme amounts of energy, not to mention all the disadvantages of uncontrolled biological and enviromental dangers on planets. The idea of colonising planets is a meme which'd take way too much time. It'd be way more economical to just live in space. Once you get the first space station up and running, it'll be much easier to get the second, and the third, and the fourth...

But muh natural athmosphere and gravity

people living there would be like those in rural areas - harder to reach, delivery is much more expensive and takes much longer, and harder to reach, too

also poorer

libfags is that way

Check Franco in Spain, most development Spain ever had was under his rule

I dont speak.weird mongolian, can somebody translate?

The people as a whole don't literally manage the country day to day, there are still public officials for that in a direct democracy.

How...
1) you see yourself
2) your girlfriend sees you
3) your commanding officer sees you when you fuck up
4) your commanding officer sees you when you succeed
5) your enemy sees you
6) your father sees you (godammit son, back when I was in the army,,,)
7) your grandfather sees you and your father (fuck it guys, back when I was in the war,,,)
8) that hippie at the city park sees you

That was the case in my setting. Earth had a Triarchy of Civil, Military, and Economic. The 40 worlds of the republic were held together primarily by FTL bouys and each world had its own Triarchy, and every ten years, the ninth Terran standard year held an election on every world to get new Triarchs, and then would vote for the Grand Triarchs on earth, who in practice mostly just set broad guidelines rather than any kind of serious laws on the basis that they couldn't account for how some law would affect each given world, thus highly decentralized

Because historically it doesn't work out very well. Military rule is basically always a dictatorship, and in a dictatorship the entire incentive structure leads to behavior that is significantly worse for the average person than in other systems.

youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs

While there may be a few exceptions, the general trend is that military dictatorships are much worse than democracies when it comes to providing a decent standard of living for the average person.

>Direct Democracies
They don't work if you grow past a single city. Rousseau already realized this.

>Social democracies
Inherrently a self-destructive system. Just look at what Sweden and Germany are doing. It would surprise me if they survived into the spacefaring age as social democracies.

Jack cambells lost fleet series works as an option to it sure its not faaaar future but its spese with ftl, theres also the opposing group

Human nature.

Right now, we have the problem, with the US one at least, where personnel push to help some company with a contract, then retire and go work for said company.

You get that a lot even through the smaller, less noticeable weapon systems. Now imagine how hard it would be to fix them if people were basically raised and trained by them.

Plus, this isn't taking into account how expensive a military government, based on the US one, would be. Imagine forcing every 18 year old HS graduate to go to boot camp, how expensive Sive would it be? All the people and equipment and gear necessary to train them, imagine the cost of that alone.

>sci-fi setting
>psychic or magic powers

555-come-on-now

>fiction
I understand why, but I like me some psychic powers from time to time, especially if it helps explain why machines haven't replaced biologicals.
>FTL requires psychic power to temporarily bend physics, 'shortening' the distance between two points by orders of magnitude without actually increasing the ship's speed

>he dosent know about the tape test

Stop spreading Blatant misinformation.