FALL OF CADIA

I don't get it.

Is Cadia literally going to fall and that's just a foregone conclusion?

Also, how did the planet remain impregnable throughout all the previous Black Crusades?

dude, cadia is literally in pieces.

>how did the planet remain impregnable throughout all the previous Black Crusades?

Maybe read up on those things, because very few of them were directed at Cadia at all. The Gothic War (12th Black Crusade), for example, was fought in an entirely different sector.

Its not just a conclusion, it already happened.

Not all the other Black Crusades were aimed at Cadia. New fluff is that Abby used the other crusades to destroy any other Pylon bearing worlds. Also, the weapon that he used to finally destroy Cadia was a Blackstone Fortress. Which he only acquired in the 12th Crusade.

What's the use of even having a planet guarding the Cadian Gate if everyone can just bypass it?

Surprised anyone even bothers destroying it.

Because you couldn't just bypass it, it had orbital defenses and a giant fleet patrolling the narrow corridor of safe passage.

Stop asking stupid questions.

That doesn't make any fucking sense. Just destroy the fleet and orbital defenses.

What's the use of attacking the planet proper?

The point is that just like on a planet, its exceedingly difficult to navigate vessels through a storm. The Eye of Terror is where the Traitor Legions are based and you can't reliably exit it. Most of the Crusades either took loads of ships through the channel that leads right into the Cadia system or were small strike forces that were able to escape the Eye. The only exception to that is the 12th where Abby pulled a Chaos fleet right out of his asshole due to narrative convenience. Its the reason why the Gothic War was such a clusterfuck. It was supposed to be literally impossible for a fleet of that size to be in the Gothic Sector.

Imperial Strategists always assumed that Abaddon's ultimate goal was to take Cadia and use its strategic location at the safe channel into the eye as a staging ground where he could safely muster all of the forces of Chaos without issue of getting wrecked by poor navigation.

As of Fall of Cadia, he actually wants to surf the Eye of Terror literally to the doorstep of the Solar System and has been saving smashing Cadia as the final part of his plan. Now the Eye is free to surge outwards unchecked. What has changed? Why is the Eye safe to navigate now? Its not. He just plans to use mostly Daemonic forces for his invasion now. That's all.

>just destroy the satellites and fleet and leave the planet in tact so they can just rebuild everything again

Are you retarded? Do you literally know nothing about military campaigns yet bother to ask questions about them? Bases are established and ground is taken in every single military campaign that has ever existed for a reason. The Imperium is not a nomadic hunter gatherer army. Even the mobile Tau build bases and defend worlds.

>Also, the weapon that he used to finally destroy Cadia was a Blackstone Fortress.
Via ramming it into the planet, I believe.

This is is space. Chaos gets it's reinforcements from the eye of terror. If Cadia can't hit No-Arms from the ground, there's no point going near it. It's pointless. It's just a rock.

Demons can't spawn out in empty space. (Well I guess they could, but it would sure suck to be them)
They can spawn inside a ship, but that limits the forces you can mass as you wait for them to arrive.

A planet gives them a broad target to aim for when they enter the physical realm, one where they can comfortably wait until a ship is available. Also ships don't have to sit around doing nothing waiting for enough demons to arrive in order to fill their hold.

>Is Cadia literally going to fall and that's just a foregone conclusion?
pic related

>Also, how did the planet remain impregnable throughout all the previous Black Crusades?
Necron Pylons

I hope after the Guilly'ing and Emper'ing of the 40k universe to be nobledark that the Imperium reclaims Cadia and builds the planet back into a hollow planetoid battlestation or even a humungus space hulk kind of anti chaos and necron pylon infested battle station

Why not just spawn the demons on the world you land, the world which, by the way, isn't heavily defended by an entire garrison population.

Now, I know why Abaddon wrekt Cadia, to destroy the pylons, but there was literally no reason to go down to the planet to do so.

When should the Necrons start building some fancy new pylons?

Because you need a world that's in the Eye of Terror to just rapidly spawn demons. The barrier between warp and real space is too solid elsewhere. There, you need to have psykers open up pinholes which might let one or two demons through if the winds of the warp are blowing the right way. Getting out of the warp is hard.

Same reasons Japs attacked Pearl Harbor instead of sailing past it and bombing US mainland.

>remain impregnable
Abaddon conquered it alongside hisf riends 13 years ago in the EOT campaign. Only a small but considerable fraction of the planet remained on the side of the Imperium.

When fall of Cadia came out, it was the last gambit of the Imperium to take back cadia from abaddons grasp. However they failed.

Eldrad died in that campaign. That campaign has 100% been retconned.

>Also, how did the planet remain impregnable throughout all the previous Black Crusades?
Because previous assaults of Cadia were just for show with just token forces Abaddon wanted to be dead or broken 'causr they were somehow messing up his plans. Still it helped to distract sorpsefuckers from his real goals.

Educate yourself, user.

I don't remember where it was published (maybe Codex: Black Legion?), but there's been a quote floating around the chaos books for a while now about how the Despoiler would break through the gate and the fate of mankind would be determined on holy ground. So this has been pre-ordained for a few years at least.

>100% been retconned.
More like 10%. Other than Eldrad dying, pretty much everything that happened in that campaign is still in effect. At the start of FoC, the Imperium is on the verge of losing the surface and their fleet has established a tenuous hold in orbit, which is how that campaign ended.

why didn't the second black crusade just loab asteroid at the place util it was dust?

Games Workshop recently realized how pathetic and stupid Abbadon looked in the fluff, since he couldn't manage to get past a single human planet with the whole force of the Warphole behind him. And not just once, no, but thirteen consecutive times.

So in order to fix that problem, GW retconned the fluff to make it look like Abbadons previous losses were planned all along and with Fall of Cadia, they finally made him win to try and make us forget about how much of an imbecile he is.

So basically; The writing was really bad in the past and they fixed it by applying even worse writing.

>pretty much everything that happened in that campaign is still in effect.
Da green kroosade?

A bunch of them were already definitely elsewhere. BFG has always been in the gothic sector.

He says as much in the book

"But for hubris I wouldn't be here"

He only came down to break morale.

I don't think any of the things that players actually did during EoT have made it, so no Green Kroosade, no Biel Tan fortress of sanity on Eidolon (especially not now), no Triad coming to prominance as the true masterminds behind the forces of darkness, no Imperial defences in the last minute to hold the ruined Cadian system to hold the door close just a tiny bit and mean that Abbadon can't just beeline for Terra, none of the rest of it that I can't remember right now.

>So basically; The writing was really bad in the past and they fixed it by applying even worse writing.
GW.txt

Despite way back in the 2e Chaos Codex, we were already getting descriptions of Black Crusade, including one on El'Phanor, a world distinctly mentioned as being in Segmentum Solar, meaning even from the very start, the Black Crusades were not focusing on Cadia.

ITT user gets spoonfed lore because all he knows are Veeky Forums memes.
And you people wonder why everyone on this board is shit at 40k? You can find more truth on fucking facebook feeds.

Shut up, Carnac

I'm not so keen on Chaos lore since I don't own a single chaos codex, but from what I understand no crusade had the specific intention of destroying Cadia, the planet was just there, blocking chaos, so they had to get through it to accomplish whatever goal that specific crusade had.
With the recent retcons they made it look like Cadia wasn't even an issue, and that Abby had a fixations to destroy it simply because he didn't like fat men with cigars, and that I didn't like.
If there are any mistakes on this personal point of view, tell me, since, as I said, I don't know too much about Chaos Lore

Why do you want to be spoonfed? It's more fun to read the Lore yourself

>no crusade had the specific intention of destroying Cadia, the planet was just there, blocking chaos, so they had to get through it to accomplish whatever goal that specific crusade had
This is true.
>With the recent retcons they made it look like Cadia wasn't even an issue
This is not.
>Abby had a fixations to destroy it simply because he didn't like fat men with cigars
This is not.

Fair enough. You act as a respectable human being.

While there are other ways out of the Eye of Terror other than the Cadian Gate, they are generally either far smaller or far less stable. This meant that crusades prior to the 13th were either a fraction of its size, or required a really roundabout method, essentially teleporting out of the Eye to...somewhere else, and then making their way to their target through traditional warp paths, trying to silence any outposts or detection stations along the way.

Are Cadian regiments now going to compete with Eldar in space cammo?

So the Cadian gate being the only reliable way in/out of the Eye has always been a lie that the Imperium believed ?

A lie we believed despite evidence to the contrary.

Which means that the 13th Black Crusade will be the largest one Chaos ever pulls off. If it fails, they will be limited to smaller Crusades because the Cadian Gate won't stay open without the pylons.

Ahriman went with his grand fleet to Applpnya bypassing the Cadia
Word Bearers had few dozens assaults on Shield Worlds against Astartes Praetes (wiping ot Blac Consuls amd decimating White Consuls) bypassing the Cadia
Abaddon himself led his 12 crusades fo remote locations like the Gothic Sector bypassing the Cadia

Yeah, Cadia being "the only safe route out" was a load of bullshit even before the retcon. Didn't stop imperials from believing in it, though.

More importantly, how does all of this tie into the birth of a new elder god? the Yncarne etc?

They don't need the Cadian Gate, user.
They never needed it.

It's independent events that only tie thogether on the later stages due to somewhat coralting goals.

Well not exactly. With the pylons gone, Chaos can just ride the expanding Eye of Terror until it engulfs any world they want.

misquote, I believe it was actually
'I swear, I was only pretending to be retarded'

>is clearly enticed by the story
>has questions that need answers
BUY THE BOOK AND READ IT YOU NIGGER. OR FIND A PDF ONLINE AND READ IT, EITHER WAY JUST READ IT

Why don't you read FoC? The Chaos Gods also demanded that Abaddon should go down and fight because it would be boring and anticlimactic otherwise.

>move the largest conglomeration of chaos forces since the Horus Heresy directly towards Holy Terra
>anti-climatic

>bleed forces dry assaulting an already doomed planet
>"But, muh chaos demands!", "This will demoralize them!", "Abbadon was a good boi"

You are actually defending GW's shit circle jerk

Get fucked.

GW sucks at writing fluff now. Seriously, don't read anything written after 2011. It's all trash now.

It already fell.

It endured for so long because Failbaddon is a jobber.

Cadia needed to fall after a satisfying fight. GW authors said that they can have Abaddon just nuke Cadia and go but that would suck for the fans. So instead they wrote a story where Abaddon had to land for one last fight because he was pressured for it by his own pride and demand of the Chaos Gods. This way we get a proper ending for Cadia.

GW were trying to please the fans so stop being ungrateful.

Stop it. Abaddon never targetted Cadia for destruction in any Crusade except the 13th Black Crusade and he easily took it.

I'm not grateful for retardation, and you shouldn't be.

Yes yes, Failbaddon, we know - you were only PEETENDING to be retarded!

Even when you won you still got spanked by a barefoot nun first.

>Easily
Doomsday weapon failed, lost the battle on the ground, blackstone fortress destroyed, had to literally smash it into the planet
>ggez guys

That's the mark of a hack writer.

Nope, you have no basis for throwing "pretending to be retarded" at that post.

And Celestine backstabbed and ran from Abaddon. He wanted to chase after her but he ran out of time. The wound she inflicted on him didn't bother him much.

I dunno who that is man. I just boiled the events of Fall of Cadia down into their simplest in a way that sounded not completely abysmal. Its been standard practice to rationalize 40k lore into something more digestible for years now.

When the story begins, Abaddon had conquered 99% of Cadia except a single fortress.

Trazyn and Be'lakor's shenanigans is what allowed Cadia to endure longer than it should have. If Trazyn wasn't there for example, then the Blackstone Fortress would have one shotted Cadia. So unforeseen asspulls saved Cadia, Abaddon adapted to them and won anyways.

The Blackstone Fortress becomes redundant after Cadia is destroyed since the Eye would automatically destroy every planet in its path of expansion.

The forces lost on the ground in the last optional battle would be made up for by the countless daemons streaming from the Eye.

Supposedly all of those the times that Chaos bypassed Cadia it was forced to do so with much smaller numbers than they like or at risk of complete annihilation. I think its supposed to be a matter of "oh look how badass this guy leading the fleet is. He navigated out of the Eye of Terror!!!!" In reality the forces of Chaos bypass Cadia whenever the writers deem it appropriate. GW writers have a huge problem. Instead of showing us the how a thing is impressive, they insist that a thing was impressive and gloss over the details.

Still. The Cadian Gate being the only stable way out of the Eye of Terror is canon. For the sake of fluff integrity I'm willing to swallow that lie. I just wish it had more impact on events.

>The forces lost on the ground in the last optional battle would be made up for by the countless daemons streaming from the Eye.
Losing a battle means that there was still fight in the Cadian forces.
Yes they were doomed to fail, due to the nature of Chaos being infinite and all of that, but it wasn't easy.
Abby wanted to take the planet because of his pride and he failed.
A failure means things were hard, even if they ultimately win.

>unforeseen asspulls
And with that we can all agree that latest GW writings are shit

Lets have it your way.

>Abaddon arrives to Cadia. Blows it up straight up with either Planetkiller or the BSF
>surfs the Eye to Terra
>end of book 1

That would piss off the (Imperial) fans and would not be a good story to right. 40K mostly focuses on ground battles so they had to have one. How else you gonna write the Fall of Cadia?

Whatever helps you sleep, Failbaddon. It's gonna be funny when they kill you off. I just hope they give a head nod to the 'mostly armless' gag in the process.

The pylons were what screwed the Chaos forces and forced them to retreat. Again, something Trazyn helped in making it happen. Only their own, the Cadians/Imperials couldn't stop Abaddon. Remove Trazyn, then Abaddon would have conquered that fortress just as easy as the rest of the planet.

Anyways paraphrasing what Abaddon thought in the book, "The won the battle but lost anyways *sips wine*".

GW loves Archaon less than Abaddon, and look what they made of him.

If you think they gonna kill off an iconic character like Abaddon, you are just being silly.

eeee.
Pylons were activated just before destuction of Cadia. All the fight was Imperium vs Chaos, it was not tranzyn who "saved" Imperial forces but Celestine and Phalanx did.

The Chaos Gods were dominating the Imperials and killing off Trazyn's reinforcements that kept them from overrun the Cadians. The pylons activated which screwed over the Chaos forces and forced them and Abaddon to leave. Once Abaddon left to his ship he ordered his fleet to crash the planet with no survivors.

The Chaos forces were dominating*

Its pretty goddamn funny that Be'lakor's hissy fit is ultimately responsible for the Imperials being able to resist as long as they did. It broke the rules for how long Warp Travel is supposed to take even.

How long do you wager it takes for GW to make Be'lakor the "Master of Schemers" and Eternally Butthurt say that he did it on purpose? It would be totally in character for him.

Reading Be'lakor's part of FoC make me sad. "Lord of Shadows" "Mastero of Schemes" I was thinking that he gets Phalanx on Cadia with purpose to fuck with Abaddon.
And then in book he get bitchslapped and banished to the warp.

What Abaddon could've been

>Horus' right hand man who is disgraced by the legion's failure at Terra and who is never redeemed until he has sword in Big-E
>Despite being a strong person toughened by GC and HH, he has to make constant effort to keep himself as the gods' chosen favorite because they eternally judge him
>Has to compete with daemon primarchs and other heresy era veterans undermining his position, upstart lords and sorcerers
>In short, there is a real risk of someone becoming his successor by seizing the head honcho's position
>Someone who the fanbase can cheer for and whose adventures are a thrill to track

What Abaddon is

>Horus was weak, Horus was a fool
>All daemon primarchs and their subordinates suck my cock while I have to make zero effort to keep them doing it
>Never suffers true defeats or humiliations because of the nature of warp, you can go there to lick your wounds for eternity
>All crusades are just planned lead up for the next crusade, so the outcomes never truly matter because muh keikaku
>Armless failure who constantly gets defeated in fights and outsmarted by his opponents
>Gods tolerate his existence without any backlashes or warnings given

In End Times of fantasy, Be'lakor has a dozen of schemes going on at the same time. He failed them all but his shenanigans caused havoc and mayhmen for all sides of the conflict. He is a wildcard whose narrative mission is to cause shit to happen at his expense.

Be'lakor ran into the Warp but it's not the last time you gonna see him in this story.

That just sounds like a poor mans Tzeentch.

But most of his crusades were to get favors from the different gods, get his super death sword, and collect powerful weapons he can use or give to the daemon primarchs to gain their forces during his last crusade.

really wished i knew where all this shitposting came from, does no one care about actual things and not just shit someone made up on tg that keeps getting recycled... annoying

it's something that's going on at the same time. Both fall of cadia and breaking of biel-tan happen concurrently. they end pretty much at the same point... going to Guilliman

While Cadia has always been hit by Black Crusades, remember that the BCs have rarely consisted of one massive force pushing together. They're usually multi-faceted onslaughts, designed to accomplish a goal while causing as much general mayhem as possible to keep the Imperium too distracted mount a coherent defense (even the 13th has a ton of other chaos shit going on outside of the main force attacking Cadia, like the Plague of Unbelief).

Also, the concept that Cadia isn't the only place with pylons, and the other BCs have been hitting the other pylon-planets makes perfect sense. The idea that Cadia just happens to be the one planet in the galaxy with anti-warp pylons, despite being constructed millions of years before the Eye of Terror existed never made sense. Also, Abadab has had a fascination with War in Heaven tech for a while now (Blackstone Fortresses and shit) so it makes sense that he would know about these and would want them gone.

This isn't GW pulling something out of their asses, this is fa/tg/uys being retarded and thinking their failbaddon meme (which was never really grounded in fluff, as and pointed out) somehow takes precedence over actual fluff going back for over 10 years.

your first half was how it is. second half if TG beating itself off with armless memes

Even in the Fall of Cadia book it is evident that significant Chaos forces have already bypassed the Gate and running rampant

The retcons were asspulled and poorly though out.