How do you deal with the rising political tension of the real world and prevent it from seeping into your game...

How do you deal with the rising political tension of the real world and prevent it from seeping into your game? I won't provide any specifics but things have gotten very difficult with my group due to real world politics and I believe it is threatening the stability of sessions

Any advice for a seriously distressed DM?

1. Stay out of /pol/

2. Keep /pol/ outside of Veeky Forums

3. Don't bring real-world politics into your games. Ever. The whole point of playing games is to relax with a group of friends and have fun. If it would cause more stress to the group than the events of the campaign would, don't bring it.

I'm sure this is bait but just chillax.

Stop going to political news sites, clear your Google history so you only get news about Vidya and Starfinder.

Ride a bike and plan your next session.

Here, tell me what type of game you got running.

Instate a swear jar but for politics sperging.

Tell players you enjoy these games as a way to unwind from that shit. Remind them if you want a bunch of low information morons doom-and-glooming over politics you can just brows your Facebook wall and not go through the trouble of inviting them to your house.

This thread can go nowhere good.

Kill off your players when they disrupt the game.

Yes. Your players. You read that correctly.

"Come on, let's not talk about politics guys."

And punish the person who agrees with you for doing it before who doesn't.

>don't bring up politics. ask everyone not to bring up politics

And, I think we're done. Simple and easy.

Don't give a shit about meme politics? If you chill out, go for a bike ride like said and enjoy life? Things really aren't as fucked up as dumb as media would make you believe. Idk why everyone is so stressed out when it was only 20 years ago that we had the threat of Russian nukes as an actual possibility.

Wrong time to start a Ebberon campaign, I quess.

Realize that politics actually have very little impact on your day to day life.

There are four things I do not allow discussion of at my table.

Politics, religion, MOBAs, and Steven Universe.

First offense is a warning, second is a timeout for one session, third is a ban.

You can stop now guys.

>Steven Universe
What led to that being banned at the table? I want the story.

It will never end, not until /pol/ is nuked and then we wait a week for them to try and raid /mlp/ again, only to fail.

Stop. I wanted to believe this wasn't a bait thread, but now I can't.

>just like check out and be apathetic :^)))))
fags

It's a recent thing. Basically SU fans are salty as fuck that Stronger Than You's Undertale parody wound up immensely more popular than the original. This fandom drama boiled over into my group which made the SUfag escalate to violence which ended in the GM physically throwing him out the house.

It's not the first time it's resulted in arguments but that was the first (and last) time it will result in violence if I have anything to say about it.

Why do I always run into people who flip out over the things I like on this board.

I have to say I don't believe you, for the sake of my sanity.

I know the SU fandom could be vicious, and this is coming from someone who was a part of the pastel horse fandom since /co/, but I choose to believe that these people only exist in the internet and not real life.

The fuck, it's just a show and a game, I like both, the hell is wrong with people?

>How do you deal with the rising political tension of the real world and prevent it from seeping into your game?
You've got me. Family gatherings have gotten tense as shit. Fortunately, everybody is making considerable effort to keep quiet about politics. Unfortunately, people within the family are diametrically opposed, politically speaking, and everybody is simmering with anger. It also leads to a lot of awkward silences, as there are so many subjects that we just can't discuss. And since the only things I've ever had to talk to my father about are politics and world events, we are essentially incapable of supporting a conversation anymore. I mean, I'll sit down and watch maybe 15 minutes of whatever football game he's watching, and chitchat about shit that's happening in the game, but I have essentially zero interest in most spectator sports, and there's only but so much I can take.

They're very few in number but the fact that I have to put my foot down because of this tiny amount of spergs makes me want to gas them all.

I mean, I'd like to say you're wrong, but really the world still needs people who have some faith in humanity left.

Take some board games, homiesaurus! This way, you have something to chat about and it is Veeky Forums related.

>Realize that politics actually have very little impact on your day to day life.
That's what the they want you to believe. You know, the morally-bankrupt assholes on the other side of the political aisle. I'm actually serious.

Tell your family to be more open-minded and to stop being sperglords who can't accept other people's opinions.

Fucking jeez, if this was my family, I'd slap their heads in and tell to undergo some surgery to get that broom off their assholes.

>Take some board games, homiesaurus! This way, you have something to chat about and it is Veeky Forums related.
Games are silly. At most, I might be able to get him to grudgingly agree to a game of poker that neither of us would particularly enjoy.

>Games are silly.
Games are SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS, and don't you forget it!!!

Some marriages have ended because one voted for Trump and the other Hillary.

Nobody is saying "be apathetic", but it's simply true that you need to be able to have a thing to focus on that don't just bring more stress or anxiety. That's where hobbies come in, like tabletop RPGs.

Of course, in this case it's complicated a bit by ultimately also being a group-driven creative writing exercise, so experiences and opinions are going to find an outlet through RPGs whether you aim for them to or not--but if that just turns into the group activity being totally subverted to just talk politics and/or get hackles up, especially when people like in OP's group can't walk away from the topic after it crops up, then you should take measures to make sure you don't set that shit off.

Alternatively get more reasonable friends, but that's less immediately achievable then "avoid sore topics".

If you get divorced over something like that, you didn't love each other to begin with.

This

>How do you deal with the rising political tension of the real world and prevent it from seeping into your game?

Play with adults.

>Games are SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS, and don't you forget it!!!
Well, of course they are, but only if it involves guys throwing around a ball, at least from my dad's perspective.

user...that was 30 years ago. Time flies man, time flies.

>Play with adults.
As a student of history, I take exception to the notion that adults are reasonable and restrained with their views. If anything, people become more vehemently political as they get older. Teenagers are a lot less likely than people in their fifties and sixties to spend hours watching Fox News / MSNBC and griping about politics.

So true. I feel like in certain aspects kids and teenagers are a lot more sensible and down to earth than adults, who just blow shit out of proportion.

>King, wary of the divisions between his people, he partitioned his country into four parts, each with laws reflecting the views of a major party, making the kingdom a federation.
>for two years everyone who wants to move from his place to a different part of the kingdom will get a small help in form of relocation fund.
Could it make an interesting setting?
Or a sitcom.
They live in a house standing where the new borders meet. In fact, they cross directly under their sofa.

>The shooting at the Aurora was four years ago.
>Ivan in Oglaf was shot by the arrow five years ago.
>Friendship is Magic came out six years ago
>D&D 4e came out eight years ago.
>Hurricane Katrina was nine years ago.
>The PS3 was released ten years ago
>9/11 was fifteen years ago.
MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOOOOOOP!!

>As a student of history, I take exception to the notion that adults are reasonable and restrained with their views.

As an adult, I'll point out that adults are less likely to express any views they may hold in inappropriate situations.

Only children and the childish insist on expressing their views on politics, sex, or whatever when politics, sex, or whatever are not part of the situation.

Play with adults, and by adults I'm not solely referring to age.

In any social situation, it's important to approach ideological differences from a place of mutual respect. Most people are at least under the impression that they want to do what's right, even if nobody can seem to agree on exactly what "right" is or how to achieve it. It sounds retardedly simple, but if discussions get heated in your group, you might need to remind them of that. Try redirecting the conversation to points of common ground to get people to cool off. If the game keeps getting derailed by political debates, it might need to be treated like any OOC argument, shut down in the moment and addressed outside of game-time.
Of course, nothing will save you if your group has gone full /pol/-tier. Only cure for that is to take the game out behind the barn and put it out of its misery

Reminder that pic related also applies to 'stealth' pol threads like this one. Remember to sage if you do reply.

>taking any chance possible to invoke /pol/ boogeyman
you realize it's far, far more likely that anyone bringing politics to the table is doing it from the left, right? not only is /pol/'s view a very tiny minority in general, it's also an even smaller presence in the TTRPG community which is well known to have been a target of SJW entryists for more than a few years now.

If this is the situation OP is dealing with, saying "no politics at the table" doesn't help because they don't consider it politics, it's considered 'justice' or 'progress' or 'not being uneducated' or whatever else. These people try to take any chance to push their ideology onto any situation that conflicts with it, as if they idealistically can not sit at a table that matches their views. You can just give in but they always have more things to push for. I don't know how to handle it either besides taking their bluff: OK, you're free to fuck off or you can deal with it.

I mean, if anyone tried to do the same thing with right wing views (let alone nazi shit) which I've never seen happen, you'd just get the same response from the lefties: change your politics to match mine or I'm leaving the table.

You know it's possible to have a conversation on politics without forcing your own viewpoint, right? You can just let the man talk, he's your father. You don't need to lie and agree with him, but you can just not opine against him and maintain neutrality.

You know, like you would in any other normal conversation on something you might disagree with? Or are you idealistically opposed to listening to even entertaining his viewpoint?

Hi, I just cancelled your sage

Also a friendly reminder that sage isn't Veeky Forums's version if a down vote

>newfags trying to school newfags
*cringe* :-P

>that filename

Part of their thing is that they can't read eachothers minds. I know it shouldn't matter, but it does.

Not everyone who's left leaning is insufferable. Our group is a mix of conservatives and liberals, we're simply mature enough to not try to push our particular shit, and if somebody 'did' say something inadvertently that has the ring of a political statement to it, the people with different views don't get instantly triggered and just accept we don't all see eye to eye on a thing.

Generally our games are about the game, if people are deciding to chat politics at the table the fuck is the DM doing? make your shit more engaging.

We have had political discourse break out once or twice when carpooling etc, but a simple "Chaps, politics" tends to wrap it up with no ill feeling.

Make sure everyone understands it's not appropriate, then just enforce it civilly.

Much truth here. I just had a LARP ended almost certainly because post-election my mere presence as a known right winger was far too triggering for our resident 38 year old, unemployed, living on government assistance SJW.

I'd suggest people like him are the exception not the rule, though.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good joke

tell them none of them give a fuck about anything anyway.

>Not everyone who's left leaning is insufferable
Yes I know, my point was that if someone is at the table that does get triggered by different views, it's far more likely going to be an SJW on the left. It doesn't help OP at all to talk about random neo nazis who'd never out themselves in public for obvious reasons, but it does help to describe the character and goals of the guilty party - SWJs are a genuine problem in TTRPG while denying it's political at all.

>a simple "Chaps, politics" tends to wrap it up with no ill feeling.
Pretty fucking childish in any conversation outside the table, imo.

Guy who bans SU here, when people bring up identity politics, feminism, or social justice I go full Gimli and say "That still counts as politics!"

If you're white and middle class, politics don't ever actually effect you in meaningful ways.

I distract them with sudden combat encounters with escalating deadliness if they don't knock it off.

I guess that's the difference, there's no sjw's in our group. I'd say those people would be garbage regardless of their political alignment, and don't play with terrible people. I see what you're saying in terms of it being more prevalent that those types of people are left leaning, but I've met plenty of twitching conservatives ready to boil over when they get the slightest whiff of something they don't like, too.

Don't play with fuckheads I guess.

On the second point, it might be the case that it is childish, but we've trod the ground before and certain people don't agree. We decided it was fruitless to hash the same arguments over and over and it's an irritating hijacking of group discussion for the moderates in our group so we just kind of nixed it.

>it's far more likely going to be an SJW on the left
It depends entirely on where you are at.
Try the same in a state in the bible belt.
That said, I have no issue discussing politics, as I do my best to be well informed about all things and because my personal politics are massively different from others.
>I'm a hardcore pro gun, pro choice, pro regulation, anti-religion black nationalist
user, I'm a black male teacher in a primarily black "inner city" high school teacher.
The last bout of politics concerns me mightily.

>whites don't pay taxes

Who knew?

Here's your (You)

I once had players who were from countiries that were literally at war with each other, both completely confident that THIR side was right (AFAIC they both were wrong). Yet simply banning any real life politics talk quickly ended all the bullshit and we played the game just right.

Regulation of what?

>black nationalist
That shit was never not retarded.

>I have no issue discussing politics, as I do my best to be well informed about all things
What if I told you I believed, as a general principle, africans are genetically inferior in regards to IQ to whites/asians which is well proven to be the cause of most of their "social handicaps" and their presence in the US is an objectively massive negative to society by any reasonable measure?

>SU, identity politics, feminism, or social justice
You don't need to be redundant, just say you're banning marxism.

It simply means that my concerns revolve around a particular community first, mostly because of people like necessitating that I do so.
I'd tell you to stop drinking the kool-aid, so to speak.

This is one of those times I'm really glad I don't have to game with any of you.

>and don't play with terrible people.

Exactly. Only play with adults.

Well, as long as you can sit at the table without chimping out, so to speak, over political/scientific views you disagree with, you're cool in my books and I'd be happy to play with you. Though as a matter of fact, I've de facto b& niggers from my table when I DM. I don't think you're all bad but it's a basic heuristic that saves us more trouble than we lose - like not fucking a bitch with warning color hair

Fear not, I feel the same way about American Caucasians. A more entitled lot that runs from responsibility is harder to find, despite how swiftly you all are to crow about how much better you are than everyone else.

>implying black guys don't run from responsibility just as much
Fear of responsibility is universal.

we are the same.

First post is best post.

Sounds like by pol you're including SJW nonsense, but in case you aren't, dm's should skip that stuff, too, for exactly the same reasons.

>a more entitled lot that runs from responsibility is harder to find
>nigger
While the banter is ripe, I'm not interested in an argument with you, Nazimod will just come in and ban us both. I was just testing OP's kvetching - even if we're at complete political odds to the point where I unironically consider you subhuman, it wouldn't impede my ability to play a game without devolving into hysterics and you seem to agree, too.

Black guys don't run around crowing about how they made the world and did a bunch of shit their forefathers did while skirting any responsibility for all the shitty things their forefathers did.
>I unironically consider you subhuman
The feeling is mutual.

>what is bone structure and skull morphology
not only is the message behind your analogy wrong the analogy itself is wrong.

>that spoiler
>what is Afrocentrism

>says he's black nationalist
>is actually black supremacist
And people wonder why black nationalism is seen as a front.

My dislike of Caucasions is not related to that, user.
For some reason, you are confusing my desire to heal a shattered community with something to do with others, and that is the primary mistake mostly Caucasians make, who can only seem to see raising themselves up by tearing someone else down.
I dislike Caucasians because on the whole, they have proven themselves a terrible people, even with some exceptions, and most interactions with them will be a chore at best and an exercise in self restraint at worst.

AYO HOL UP

HOL UP HOL UP A MINUTE

**smacks lips together**

AYO LEMEE GET DIS STRAIGHT

**claps hands together**

AYO SO YOU SAYIN

**smacks lips profusely**

YOU SAYIN

WE

UHH

**pockets food stamp**

LEMEE GET DIS STRAIGHT

**chucks spear**

YOU SAYIN WE

**rapes white woman**

WE WUZ

**unpockets banana**

NAH

**unpeels banana**

WE WUZ NAH

**takes bite from banana**

WE WUZ NAH KANGZ??

WE WUZ NAH KANGZ?????

>I dislike Blacks because on the whole, they have proven themselves a terrible people, even with some exceptions, and most interactions with them will be a chore at best and an exercise in self restraint at worst.
>things heard at the monthly KKK meeting

>I dislike Koreans because on the whole, they have proven themselves a terrible people, even with some exceptions, and most interactions with them will be a chore at best and an exercise in self restraint at worst.
>things heard in Japan

>I dislike that other tribe because on the whole, they have proven themselves a terrible people, even with some exceptions, and most interactions with them will be a chore at best and an exercise in self restraint at worst.
>things heard on the savannah/in the Balkans

>can only seem to see raising themselves up by tearing someone else down.
>proven themselves a terrible people, even with some exceptions, and most interactions with them will be a chore at best and an exercise in self restraint at worst.
Incredible, an entire ideology and racial identity built on "I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you!"

That's it, proles. Keep fighting yourselves.

As a black man I have to say that shit was fucking hilarious

sniffle, cough, clear throat, blow nose.

Go away Lenin, we're having a nice shitfight over here.

NEW RULE
YOU CAN'T TALK POLITICS IF YOU DON'T INCLUDE A BANEPOST IN YOUR MESSAGE/POST
IF IT GETS WORSE, INCLUDE COMBINING BANEPOSTS WITH HARAMBE MEMES

Give Veeky Forums back. This is fucking TG and people are talking about politics as if a celebrity getting elected president is somehow a noble situation in human history. History, that word should have a new meaning for all of us. We're rebuilding the great Chinese Wall. Progress.

No, I'm out, nazimod's banned me like 3 times this week already for bantering too hard. You'll pick up a ban too if it comes to it, he doesn't get to any threads that don't express right wing views (possibly due to tumblrtards' reporting bias) but he'll delete & ban every political post left or right if he does come.

Perhaps you shouldn't be the first one to start waxing about subhumans then, next time?

Romania ain't a real country anyway so it is not a big deal.

gib back transylvania

I wouldn't. We're actually quite close friends or he wouldn't know shit about my politics because I've learned over the years to keep it away from game or be a fucking outcast.

I need to talk to Moot. Which mountain is he living in?

Sometimes I forget he isn't with us anymore. I hope Mootikins is doing well for himself.

He's not here? Well....ok..

Were you the guy in the elf thread that wanted to talk about different racial intelligences amongst irl humans?

1. Veeky Forums has always talked politics. Veeky Forums encompasses everything
2. Veeky Forums doesn't get the right to be politically oblivious when SJW entryists started infiltrating the industry and making everything political

It's called Traditional Gaming. And what you assholes are talking about isn't even politics. And no it hasn't.

SJW infiltration started long ago. It would be total if not for a few crusty bastards and soulless corporations.

It can be jarring realizing how much political bullshit was shoehorned into some of my favorite books from the 90's.

Pic related, virtue signalling the game. I still love Greg Costikyan, but I'd never, ever want to meet him anymore.

>It can be jarring realizing how much political bullshit was shoehorned into some of my favorite books from the 90's.
I take it you weren't a White Wolf fan?

Nice alternative facts

Is this the new line they're feeding you? What happened to fake news? Obvious projection was made obvious? It's just going to happen again, you know

Oh, I was. I'm not sure you were allowed not to be for awhile. It's just a twist in perception from being a kid, mostly oblivious laughing along with "HOL needs women". Now I know there was nothing good left to come out of White Wolf once Mark left.