EDH THREAD

Flipped uppity bitch edition

Old thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Oloro Stax netdecks
reddit.com/r/CompetitiveEDH/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Best quality scans
scryfall.com

>Thread Topic
When you want to introduce someone to EDH, do you lend hem a normal deck or an overpowered one so they taste the bullshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karn-stax-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Liliana drawn by official WOTC artists

>When you want to introduce someone to EDH, do you lend hem a normal deck or an overpowered one so they taste the bullshit?
Give people new to the format the easiest decks possible. The last time I played with new people they were unable to cope with the preconstructed decks.

>Give people new to the format the easiest decks possible. The last time I played with new people they were unable to cope with the preconstructed decks.

What? Were they new to Magic in general? Because even a Standard baby should grasp how simple precons are.

They had been playing casual magic for years, I was suprised too. I had to explain to one guy the difference between planeswalker and commander several times. He was apparently confused because he got one of the C14 decks with planeswalker commanders.

>Assuming your friends are retarded.

Why not let them choose a deck to play with? Unless you are saying these people are new to magic in general, in which case anything that gives them a good grasp on combat, phase order, and the stack.

>He was apparently confused because he got one of the C14 decks with planeswalker commanders.
It seems to be a pretty bad case of not RTFC

>alright what play do I need to do to try get enough triggers off of purph to win, maybe if I put this out, nykthos I just might have enough mana to get these out and then sac stuff to make more tokens
>HURR I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DRAW IT OUT
>Okay? Making sure I can kill this turn
>HURR JUST USE THAT CARD 3 TIMES
>Oh you mean pay 3 mana, sac two goblins to make 3 goblins with only 1 goblin on my board? Might want to read the card.
>WELL...

Love it when people feel so right then you tell them to read the card and blow them the fuck out.

In my (kitchen table) group at least they absolutely loathe playing with cards they don't know even if they know the game, so I usually keep it simple when I want to introduce someone to EDH

That and the language barrier. God forbid there's a card in english in one deck.

I took two of my friends that have never played magic to the LGS and we each bought 3 packs and did a small draft. It's a great way to introduce people to the concept of "Read The Fucking Cards" and they learned about combat and the stack and shit like that. Next day they were hooked and both of them bought commander 2016 precons.

Now I've made an Atraxa SuperFriends monster.

Any suggestions for my Karn deck? i'm trying to make it as oppressive and unfun as possible. My meta is two friends (one plays slivers and precons. the other just plays precons) and the randos at my LGS.

Why do you want to lose your friends?

forgot link like a fucking retard

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karn-stax-1/

because they are good sports, and don't mind the occasional lock-outs. same as i don't mind when the timmy players stomps my face. What do we care?

>because they are good sports, and don't mind the occasional lock-outs. same as i don't mind when the timmy players stomps my face. What do we care?
You guys are great people
Thanks for existing

hey, we just want to hang out, drink, call each other niggers and have fun. Which is also why i want to crush tryhards ironic because with this deck I AM the tryhard . it's a game, and esp. with stax there is a very clear point in which a player has lost. just scoop and ask for a different match-up

You sound like a cunt

Have you checked your mail today, /edhg/ ?

I'm a cunt for pointing out to the loudmouth that I cannot use Goblin Warrens because I don't have two goblins to sac?

Pawn of Ulamog or Sifter of Skulls?
Need to cut one of them to put in Endbringer in my Meren deck.

No, it's because you act smug and superior about a children's card game and then feel the need to vent your frustration and seek approval from strangers on the internet

How can one man be so wrong in a single post. Frustration? Please tell me where you have drawn this conclusion from. Correcting someone who is obviously wrong isn't being smug or superior.

You're both right and you're both retarded so stop now and let's get back to brewing and shitposting mirrored images

>This hypocritical

I don't particularly see a big difference between his level and acts of jackassery and yours.

>Correcting someone who is obviously wrong isn't being smug or superior.
no, but it is acting smug and superior to later post about this correction on the internet to be viewed by a bunch of people you don't know who don't know you or the other person involved or even give the slightest shit about your life
like really
think about why you posted that for a moment
what does it provide for the reader? anything at all? or are you just posting it for your own satisfaction?

You still haven't refuted my question to where you think I was frustrated.

Another smug and superior green text coming through

>playing some multiplayer
>some faggot Breya player, can go infinite and tells the two of us left that he can
>tell him "then do it"
>turn on auto-yeild and join another game
>he proceeds to do it taking whole 30 minutes to kill me by going infinite mana, saccing breya, resummoning, repeat
>he has to concede because other guy had a soul attendant out and had been gaining life the whole 30 minutes of him fucking around killing me

>You still haven't refuted my question to where you think I was frustrated.
sure i did
you posted it for your own sake
which probably means you were either frustrated about the ordeal and wanted to vent or you just thought "damn im so cool i just did such a cool thing i bet if i post about it online everyone will think im cool"

So... you're saying I either posted it out of frustration, but maybe I didn't post out of frustration but to look cool instead?

oh user, don't you know internet arguments are all about projection?

that user sees smugness and superiority everywhere because he secretly knows himself to be smug and superior (and hates himself for it)

yes
i'm also saying you're a faggot

This is just awful. Shortcutting is completely okay. Besides, he can just kill the other guy as well with no problem.

So you admit to making the frustration line up.

>Besides, he can just kill the other guy as well with no problem.
He had 10 minutes left on the clock, all the durdling around to make enough mana to keep resummoning to deal something like 80 life would have been impossible for him to accomplish in that time period.

>playing clunky infinite combos on MTGO
There's his problem.

He was a very slow player regardless.

i'm not even the original user who posted that
i'm just calling you out on being a massive faggot

Uhuh.

Pawn is cheaper but Sifter makes 1/1s. Do you plan on eventually using the tokens to attack? If yes, maybe stick to Sifter.

uhuh

Okay buddy.

okay buddy

Good argument, let's do it again sometime. I'm gonna go eat some gnocchi carbonara.

how about you eat a dick instead, it's more fitting for your type

Lol, alright buddy. Keep thinking about faggots and dicks. ;)

i will as long as i keep reading your posts

jesus you guys are fags

>two Mana costs
>no name
>three boobs
>"Won now?"
Yes we certainly have.

Butterface tho

>my friend bought the daxos precon instead of oloro or derevi
Fuck ya! What can I buy him for under 20 bucks to get him started? I'm thinking an aetherflux reservoir, a divinity of pride and a sunbond.

I'm still waiting for cards I ordered two weeks ago. Never order from Italy.

Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim or any other Orzhov legendary. Daxos is a terrible commander.

Yes but the deck comes with Karlov, doesn't it?

Maybe I'll throw in a new teysa or an atheros too.

Sanguine Bond

Is that the expensive one? That's an excellent idea. I was thinking one of those mirrah crusaders or whatever from MM15 too.

>thread topic
Give them something straightforward. EDH can get really stupid really fast so I try to let them play something that minimizes the weird interactions that tend to happen in EDH.

Fucking same thing here. I ordered a bunch of cards a week after my two italy orders and they have already arrived.

>playing MTGO

You're thinking of Excuisite Blood. Sanguine Bond costs nothing

Are you me from the berenstein bears universe?

You both made a terrible mistake. Resolving your winning turn takes 20 minutes and everybody will hate you.

>keep wanting to rebuild Shu Yun
>already have half a dozen new decks in the works
Help me

pretty sure someone stole my mail yesterday i was supposed to get a satin tower and some dragon shield sleeves. according to the tracking thing it wa delivered but i cant find it

>Why not let them choose a deck to play with?

There's this guy who is sometimes in my group but is really dumb with his plays.

>Playing a 5 man game, breya vs phage vs newzuri vs gitrog vs karametra
>bad guy borrows my gitrog deck
>he decides to keep a hand with 2 land no land fetch or rocks
>manages to draw into signet and ghost quarter
>never casts gitrog or the signet and uses ghost quarter on his own lands
>uses titania to grab back ghost quarter and hits his own dakmor slavage with it
>dredges himself without gitrog so he doesn't reap any benefits
>everyone is telling him this and replies with "I don't the need commander because its not that good"

This is a guy who has supppsedly been playing magic since '95

Are you both me? I just bought this last weekend.

I got mine effectively for free since the store I went to was sure I preordered it and took out the cost of it from the Store Credit i spent on FTV:Lore that they never took out (even though I had told them previously that I didn't have any store credit left after lore)

So we have a new guy joining our group who is supposed to very casual and our group is semi competitive. I don't want go full on dick mode to the new guy so I want to build a casual edh deck but the only really weak legendary I have is depala, despite it being low powered I still want to be able to win so what can I add to amp up the power?

>dragon shield matte red

I might as well be, user. I got the exact same sleeves

In the precon or when I inevitably turn it into storm + t h i c c creatures?

Is there anyway to reccur planeswalkers in monoblack?

I couldn't find any. If you can splash for green/white though you will get many

there are some interesting old dwarves, but not a lot. Just jam every single vehicle in + land destruction and have fun

>gitrog
>not good
Does he hate literal value engines?

>When you want to introduce someone to EDH, do you lend hem a normal deck or an overpowered one so they taste the bullshit?
I usually tell them to buy one of the 2014 or 2013 precons and i usually slap together something out of stuff i have lying around so they have a good chance of winning or I usually pull a timmy decklist from a commander vs episode and give them that list to build.

anyway anybody have any spicy artifacts or neat things for a artifact based bosh iron golem deck? I am a bit torn because slobad seems better but killing someone with bosh at instant speed has saved my ass more than a few times.

sup

>double hair caress action

He's not a very good player if my post didn't make it clear. He only plays precons majority of the time unless he borrows our decks then proceeds to moan about not knowing what to do because he kept a bad hand

I did make it with what few dwarves and vehicles I had but I am seeking a potential wincon for it outside of sun titan

Last night i got my order from tcg to round out a few of my decks

>two really good cards and a bunch of crap
Money well spent I see.

As always!

You mean to field, hand, or deck?
You can always elixir of immortality that goes and tutor with a black card, magus of the will is another that can let you cast it from the gy. I'll think of more in a bit.

>Whir of Invention
>Regal Behemoth
>Lifeblood Hydra
>bunch of crap

>pathbreaker ibex

good taste user

>Cycle of cards only has ally colors
>Cycle of cards only has enemy colors
>Cycle of cards only has shard colors
>Cycle of cards only has wedge colors

What's her name, /edhg/?

More like
>Cycle of cards only has ONE card
Too many lands to count in that category but Nimbus Maze and River of Tears are the main offenders.

And symmetrical docking.
Which is better: A

Or B

I personally like A more, but the colors on B are nice.

Fug I had a story for killing norn edition but I got caught up with work and the thread 404'd
>playing druidball with freyalise
>low powered group so it's a crap deck with lots of overcosted effects
>guy in group playing marath etb spam
>has a norin out
>cast tower of calamities
>EOT norin comes back
>"my druids chant a hymn to their vengeful tower god"
>"he smiles the cowardly norin for being a BITCH"
>marath player butthurt

>"he smiles the cowardly norin for being a BITCH"
KEK

>it actually kills norin

Obv meant to say smites but phoneposting is shit desu

You must be me 3 days in the future. Is this guy viable without storm? I think I am going to go wheels with waste not but I dont want to end up as Nekusar plus green

Nekusar plus green is good though, because you get to run Nekusar and Nath in the same deck.

You can always play a Maelstrom plus black of goodstuff too.

Nekusar with green gives you leovold tho

Honestly I just cant wait to go to value town cascading one of the new expertise cards. Do either of you have a deck list by chance? It is always hard to narrow it down with so many possibilities in these colors.

How would one go about builsing Yidris storm and big guys? Obvioualy you'd want to run all the palinchron style cards, some of the new expertise cards, the regular storm suspects and delve stuff, but anything besides that?

I fucking hate timmys

Zendikar Battle Lands
Odyssey Filters

>implying i'm a timmy player

>implying you're not
You just bought a bunch of garbage m8
You are a timmy

Arabian Nights basics