/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Bawdy tavern edition

Repeat from last bread:

Megaanon, if you're here, could we get the Planeshift races added to 5etools? They are a WotC product, after all.

I actually really like the Zendikar Vampires for PCs to use as a race. Not OP, but enough flavor to justify taking it.

The "make free nulls" thing is kinda wonky but still neat.

Is Lore bard or abjuration wizard better for making an anti-caster caster?

Lore Bard. Just as good as an Abju Wizard except he's also useful when enemy casters aren't around, unlike the wizard.

Ok looking at the Favored Soul im left wandering how to best optimize it. What spells will benefit from metamagic the most from the Cleric spell list that will let it do things that shine? Any thoughts on this you noble anons of /tg with your mighty wit and excellent personal hygiene?

Why be a Favored Soul when you could be a Theurgist?

>Twinned Spell Animate Dead
Let's talk about spell slot efficiency.

Isn't there a class that gets a bonus to their animate dead so they last longer? I never bothered fucking with it because my DM gets pissy as fuck when people start shitting up the encounters with conjured monsters/minions/etc.

I blame my friend who used to constantly have 10+ underlings and demand individual turns for them. DM does not allow that stuff anymore.

TWINNED CURE WOUNDS. Stretch your healing slots out twice as far. Quicken Cure Wounds is also good for healing in the middle of your turn while still having your action free for a cantrip or melee attack.

Guiding Bolt is a good pickup simply because it's Chromatic Orb that doesn't require components (an imposes disadvantage), so you can use it if disarmed/stripped of posessions.

Shield of Faith and Spiritual Weapon are amaze even without meta-magic.

Because Theurge is legitimately broken and gives high level domain features way too early. I've never seen a DM who knew what they were doing actually allow the class in a mid-high level game.

It's pretty funny.

>So because you're a wizard you're way better at praying to God than clerics are and your god gives you their level 17 ability at level 14

To be fair, most games won't hit that far, but even at level 5, a Tempest Theurgist being able to shit out flat 48 damage lightning bolts gets silly.

Twinned healing word/heal
Big ol single target damage like harm or something

Necromancy Wizard give all your undead extra HP and +Your Proficiency to it.

Like I said, its a flatout BROKEN class and no DM who knows what they're doing would allow it. It's got all the problems of the most broken multi-class combinations, but doesn't even require multiclassing.

It's not broken in and of itself, but it becomes broken because of terrible Domains that exist.

Like if it just let you pick up a few Cleric spells ala Lore Bard picking up spells from other class lists, it'd be fine. But instead it lets you combine all the power of being a wizard with domain abilities. And then for some reason gives them to you sooner than a pure cleric would get them.

Hopefully though as some anons have speculated, all these UA classes are just being tested for feedback and will be rolled out in a PHBII at some point, properly balanced.

What are some top memebuilds? I keep hearing goodshit about Halfling Diviner.

Lore Bard, for that Counterspell, Circle of Power and Silence.

>Pick Theurgist Cleric, Arcana Domain
>Pick up Wish and shit at level 14
>Multiclass into a different full caster (say, another cleric for double domains) or a half caster for 6 levels, and still get Wish

Does circle of power give you help against breath weapons? Are dragon breath weapons magical effects?

Nuclear Druid, Halfling Diviner with Lucky Feat, horsecasting bard.

So one of my players has expressed interest in getting a whip dagger, though it sounds kind of special snowflake. D6 finesse weapon with reach, it's almost a better shortsword except it isn't light. The player is a rogue.

I'm planning on if they ever go to waterdeep they can meet a far traveler carrying it, and if he wins in a 1 on 1 duel he can have it, but it won't be easy, as I'll probably build a fighter with the same level as him.

Basically I'm asking if giving this weapon to the Rogue would make anything much better for him.

Horsecasting was dismantled; the dream is dead :

Gives him better reach on his sneak attacks, the ability to trip/disarm people and finesse. It's pretty good. It's not busted by any means. Hell, I'd probably let him Castlevania-swing off of chandeliers and corners with it.

Rogues already don1t depend on weapon damage dice. Giving him 1 more average damage isn't going to break anything.

reckon they're not caster weapons, unless you mean draconic sorcerers.

I'd say not magical effect.
>horsecasting bard

elaborate please

Where can I get some cheap but OK minis in a bundle?

Not especially. Rogue benefits most from dual-wielding and he can't do that if it isn't light. It'll lessen the effectiveness of his sneak attacks. All he's getting is range, and he could get that much better with throwing weapons.

Well fuck it. I can still play as a vending machine in Eclipse Phase.

Depends how cheap you want, but look at board games like Descent, the D&D, Warhammer Fantasy, Conan etc games for costly but big bundles of assorted figures (can be painted easily too)

D&D board games come to about 2 dollars per mini when buy those. If you are lucky you can find the MTG board game in clearance sections or so I've been told

>Leomund's Secret Chest goes into ethereal
>Wall of Force does too
>Turn Undead

BE THE GHOSTBUSTER

To chime in on the subject

Please fix the Divine Strike damage types, cleric domain features, to be correct.
Also, some spell says tart instead of target, but i find that funny.

Childrens toys work, but the scale is off. Knights, pirates, skeletons, cowboys, all easy to find.

Saw reply in last threat too late. I want the character to use a greataxe the entire time though, and you don't get proficiency until 3rd level.

Any way around that besides multiclassing or variant human?

Hobgoblins get martial weapon proficiency i think.

Just use it anyway without the +2 bonus for the first two levels - not such a big deal when baddies have AC 8-12, and keenly await the power boost at third level!

Asking illusionist wizard question again.

1) Can I use malleable illusion on simulacrum or creation spells?

2) What is the best illusion to use with Phantasmal Force? I want to inflict as many condition as possible on the enemy.

What about Myconids?

Should I get a Halberd and take PAM on GWM Greatsword wielding Oath of Vengeance pally?

I'm already out damaging everyone else

Goombas, or toads?

What's the best class to have an archetype which has a beast companion the becomes stronger as they level?

I suppose, they're not really similar, but it's not like there's a high demand for mushroom people.
Mushroom Men was a better franchise than people gave it credit for.

Ranger

What is a nuclear druid?

Ranger? The one that does?
I wouldn't mind a more pet oriented artificer either though, the level is just asking to come early and be tinkered with as you level.

Ranger Beast master won't allow dragons right?

A shitty build that uses Magic Missile + class features that tacks on maximized damage dice and flat bonus damage to blow his wad for 1000 damage (at level 20)

Literally the Beast Conclave for the Revised Ranger.

Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid X, because the Harvest Scythe d10s get applied to EACH dart of Magic Missile (this is a quirk of Magic Missile's wording, not of harvest scythe's)

>the feature is just asking to come earlier*

No, and dragon's make for shitty pets, being intelligent, supernatural apex predators.

*dragons, fucking phone.

No, especially not an actual dragon, even a wyrmling is too much early game.

If you wanted to design a 1/4 CR 'dragon' similar to existing ranger beast enclave options i'd be fine with the fluff though. Think komodo, not draconic.

Don't you need to spend more more harvest scythe d10s in order to add that to all the missiles?

ฺBard with Find Steed. When you cast spell that has the range of self, the horse also got it.

Cone of Cold is one such spell, too bad JC already said "no Self (area) spell". So it's a dead meme.

>Not wanting your own Arveiaturace

Give him an urumi and call it a day.
But as everyone else has said, rogues go off sneak attack dice rather than damage dice. The best part of the weapon is going to be the reach rather than the additional damage.

So Veeky Forums, what would you say is...

The best tank?

The best ranged dps?

The best melee dps?

The best support?

>mmo terminology
but this is 5e not 4e

You're hired to redesign the alignment system. However, it must remain the 3x3 grid, because they're concerned otherwise they'd lose too large a percentage of grognard sales.

What do you replace it with?

Remember, your goal is to reduce grognardy and increase the depth and breadth of RP.

Those two aims are opposite

Ah, sorry. I'll rephrase it then?
What is an understood tier list so far? Classes that are really fun to play and effective at the same time?

>Literally the Beast Conclave for the Revised Ranger.
I like a good pet class but hate when they give such poor choices for pets, needs better design.

The black bear and panther seem worlds ahead of the other choices.

Wizard on all of them

Paladin, Bard, Wizard and Cleric are the best classes in this edition.

Everything else is just a shittier version of the above 4 (or simply ineffective)

>Tank
Paladin
>Ranged Dps
Battlemaster Crossbow Expert
>Melee dps
Oathbreaker PAM, GWM
>Support
Miles ahead Lore Bard

Best in what aspect? A number of classes and archetypes do various levels of those things in different ways.

What a lie, fighters are better at sustained combat than any of those.

>every thread until you like it

Everyone's about the same, being good most of the time at most things, and bad at a couple things, with 4 elements monk and PHB ranger being very mediocre

Don't listen to
Or
The first is memeing and the second is mad that not everyone does the same things

No, because you only roll damage for the spell once and all darts deal the same amount of damage. Crawford has confirmed that on twitter, because it works with the Wizard's 10th level evocation feature.

>The best tank?
Barbarian
>The best ranged dps?
Fighter
>The best melee dps?
Fighter
>The best support?
Wizard

No they aren't.

A Paladin can take PAM just like a Fighter can, and is capable of using his features and spells to sustain combat far greater than a Fighter spamming action surges.

Thank you. I'll wait and read the opinions that follow. Sorry if it's a common question.

Lore Bard
Paladin/Cleric/Wizard
[angry martial noises]
Garbage

In order

Eh? Abjuration Wizard and Bladesinger are the best tank.

Necromancer's skeleton army is the best ranged dps.

Polymorph/True Polymorph/Shape Change/Magic Jar make you the best melee dps.

Support is obviously Wizard best job (control count as support right?)

Barbarian is a terrible tank because he can't pull aggro or control the battlefield damage. Paladins have all kinds of abilities to take damage for other players and to initiate duels, etc.

Crossbow Fighter might be the best ranged DPS in a mid level game. Twilight Druid is better in high level games.

Paladin is the best melee DPS because of Smites (MUH RESOURCES REE)

Wizard... might be the best support. Lore Bard imo is still better.

>Nignogs forgetting that the best tank is in fact a well built Strong Independent Eldritch Knight who don't need no Int.

I would think that EK and Paladin are about equal for tanking, with the EK maybe slightly better

That said Everything else the Pally will do better

Everyone likes to pretend that ALL CLASSES R GUD in 5E, but Ranger and Monk are totally fucking garbage, Sorcerers are just terrible Wizards (again), and Warlocks are one-trick ponies (granted, it's a pretty good trick since Force damage is the best kind of damage) but boring.

Druids (specifically Moon druids) are amazing at low levels because of how wildshaping works, but they fall off in mid-to-high level play. Most people here claim that it's balanced because they only play low level games. 5E still has many of the same problems that 3.5 had where magic completely warps high level play and forces martials out of the spotlight. There's only so much "having more HP and attacks" can do to stay relevant. It's also fairly limiting from a design perspective when dealing with BBEG plots and motives, where your solution is to make more attacks with a pole-arm to fix the problem.

I actually am less impressed with clerics than I usually am, since Healing during combat has always been a trap, and beyond that, most of their role is delegated to party buffing and casting less-good wizard spells while getting to use gear. This is a schtick that Lore Bards do much better in this edition, but they're still better than non-casting classes.

tl;dr, Wizard/Bard/Cleric and Paladins are the best. The "best versions" of the other classes to no surprise use magic (Arcane Trickster Rogue for example)

Tactics in 5e don't matter; monsters are dumb and beat on whatever stands in their face. Barb absorbs the most damage and pulls aggro by existing. Pally may be better though by virtue of superior saves

Twilight Druid is UA

Fighter is best Melee DPS because 4 attacks and surges

Lore Bard may be better

>monsters are dumb and beat on whatever stands in their face

Your DM is terrible and you should call him out on it. Tactics definitely matter.

Also Druid absorbs more damage if you're judging a tank based on their HP soak ability.

But battlemaster is the best version of fighter, specifically because EK can't get high level magic shenanigans

Battlemaster is better in a proper team with synergy I think, but EK is better if you need to depend on yourself and have no idea what the DM is going to throw at you.

Everyone is different but flexibility is usually more valued in D&D than "I can roll more dice to hit things".

>ITT we post things that piss you off more than anything

>player pisses off the other players by wasting time flirting with an npc
>player tries to use animal handling on an owl bear mid combat
>player tells me how he wants his character to advance story wise an then gets mad when it doesn't go exactly the way he wants it to
>player picks any other race than orc

seriously that last one pisses me off to no end, why do people do this?

UA Ranger is just fine, and monks do one, admittedly boring, thing well. Stunning repeatedly.
Paladins nova well, fighters out perform them in the second half of the long rest, at least if you do the correct 6-8 encounters, 2-3 short rest per long rest cycle.

Moon druid are still full casters with mobility and durability options, even at high levels.

>at least if you do the correct 6-8 encounters, 2-3 short rest per long rest cycle.
I've never met a DM that has more than two combats a day.

Go to bed, Metzen.

>orc.
At least it's not an elf. I suppose if they're going WAAAAUGH GW orc or butthurt "noble savage" wow orc all the time it can get old fast.

>Players all take utterly different concepts and approaches to problems and argue like fuck oocly and icly over everything and every single attempt at cohesion and they fly apart like oil and water in moments.

>Yet all still want to play the game, they just can't stand each other.

Every time.

This. Fighters are good in a vacuum. Too many players consistently beeline to full casters and the DM doesn't want to deal with half or three quarters of the party being useless with no abilities for the rest of the session, so he'll just toss two encounters at them or let them sleep so they have spell slots again.

If D&D was a video game and you needed to grind mobs for gold to save gold and shit, I'd play a fighter But with how every game I've ever been in lends to the DM allowing casters rest, or introduces bullshit enemies that are invisible/made out of gas/flying/etc that completely invalidate being a pure fighter, I'll probably never play one.

Black bear is 1/2 CR to the others' 1/4. Presumably they felt they had to offer some sort of bear. Either way, the sidebar offers guidelines on how to pick balanced companions, but if they can have a stronger exception or two, no reason you can't. But I wouldn't go above 1/2.

The solution is easy, the DM should pace the rest periods by encounter rate, rather than independently.

> If D&D was a video game and you needed to grind mobs for gold to save gold and shit

Why wouldn't you just play Necromancer as set skeleton as your farming bot?

It loses multi-attack user, cutting the CR.

Too many skellies will crash the game.

>DM doesn't like things the players are doing in-game and punishes them with unavoidable penalties including disfigurement and death

Even worse

>DM doesn't like things the players are doing outside of the game and punishes them in game

>dm throws 3+ plothooks at any opportunity (cumulative)
>whichever one you take first you're punished for not taking the others
>eventually he gets frustrated and bored so after you've attached and invested to some of them, he'll inform you that the end is coming past and you'll just have to skip past a bunch of things

Yeah, just saying the sidebar specifically says it's a safe choice to use 1/4 CR or less, Medium or smaller size and dealing no more than X damage with an attack, but black bear and ape don't meet both criteria already, so there's no need to feel like those are strict rules. Maybe you have a young axe beak that isn't quite Large yet or something.

You know what pisses me off? Pathfinder players "just trying out this dumb 5e thing"
>Seriously? No magic items from the first fight??
>Why would they call catgirls "tabaxi"? Where's the kitsune?
>walking diagonally on the grid costs double, everyone knows that
>the NPC cleric can't cast guards and wards? What level is he?
>prestige classes at level 3 are dumb
>how much HP does it have? Let me see the statblock

>>how much HP does it have? Let me see the statblock

Actually triggered

The guy who made 5etools is GOAT.

How do I play as an Artificer without any class equipment? I didn't get any at the start and it looks like I'm not going to be able to build the Thunder Cannon in quite a while. I have insane stats in Dex and Int, but not much else. Do I just play as a shit fighter?

>always think back to one user's post about playing ganondorf as a warlock

>tfw permaDM and will never get to make some warcaster/tunnel fighter war/lock abomination that force punches everything