Nobledark 40k XVI: War of the Wiki Edition

Welcome to Nobledark Imperium: a relatively light fan rewrite of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with a generous helping of competence and common sense.

PREVIOUS THREAD: ( )

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/51524369/

Wiki (CURRENTLY BEING OVERHAULED):
1d4chan.org/wiki/Nobledark_Imperium

THREAD FOCUS:
>CLEAN THIS SHIT UP
>Having seen how much writefaggotry we have right now, we need to put it all on hold and sort out our organisation.
>I can clear things up once they've been separated out, but first order of business is separating things into hub pages, at least for now - I can feex and organise shit from there
>Make a dump for Primarchs, for craftworlds, for Heroes of the Imperium, etc
>Post links
>Maybe if I can get to my computer tonight I'll start stitching it all together
>Maybe

And knowing there's still going to be SOME writefaggotry:
>More nobledark battles
>More certainty over whatever Remember, No Gothic is
>More on the ominous ghazghkull-shaped shadow on the horizon
>More croneworlders
>I have no idea what's happening with C'Tan vampires and shit, or the Five, but it feels like we're drifting from the lore a little overly much (feel free to prove me wrong since I barely have a chance to skim it all these days) like when we decided to not fuck with the War in Heaven.
>The shift from grimdark to nobledark is very much in the Age of the Imperium

Also, apologies for having taken so long with the new OP, but I'm more free up now. Will be trying to write more on the Shiny New Nobledark homepage if anyone needs me.

ayy I remembered my trip

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/ed60881M
sebpearce.com/bullshit/
chaoticshiny.com/religiongen.php
pastebin.com/tK49cVdq
pastebin.com/j3RnNXmj
pastebin.com/qc28cAaY
pastebin.com/vMvxA3Rf
pastebin.com/BF3sixkj
freelancetraveller.com/features/culture/games/travfuda.html
pastebin.com/JXGgPE7H
pastebin.com/KHnPEWnZ
youtu.be/HyTIt4AioEI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>>More croneworlders
I had a couple of ideas for CEldar elite infantry units.

>Gorgons
Gorgons pursue the Slaaneshi ideal of sensation being a weapon in and of itself. They eschew conventional weaponry in favor of bizarre arrays of demonic hologram emitters, noise-makers, and more exotic sense-effecting devices. They use these to attack the minds and souls of their targets directly. At its simplest, a Gorgon's attack is simply a spray of epilepsy-inducing noise and sound, paralyzing and confusing entire companies with sheer neural overload. A more focused attack can burn out a mind entirely, causing brain-death without a single trace of physical damage. Given time in which to work, increasingly exotic effects are possible, from mass hallucinations to causing basically arbitrary mental illnesses to 'programming' a mind to respond to certain subliminal cues. A Gorgon's approach to combat varies widely by individual, ranging from full-frontal epileptic assaults to slowly programming entire regiments with subliminal cues to explode into fratricidal violence at the right moment.

Fortunately for the Imperium, the sort of absolute understanding of psychology needed to make a good Gorgon is rare; the sort of skill that allows entire regiments to be attacked at once rarer still. In addition, Gorgons are not often liked by their fellow Croneworlders. They approach sensation with a highly technical mindset, speaking of baud and bit-rate and qualia where most Croneworlders speak of overwhelming religious ecstasy. This limits how well coordinated they are on the battlefield, with the Gorgons mostly being left to go do their own thing, irrespective of where they would be most useful on the battlefield. Still, a skilled Gorgon at the wrong place at the wrong time can- and has- turned successful campaigns into catastrophes.

>Phalanxes (could probably use a better name)
Phalanxes form the heavy-armor assault infantry of the Croneworlders. They are sealed into suit of possesed armor, which quickly (and extremely painfully) integrate themselves into the biology of its host. Once put on, the suit cannot be removed. The armor is not actually that heavy, and Phalanxes retain most of their agility; what makes them durable is the armor's ability to shift in response to incoming threats. Lasers? The armor becomes a near-perfect mirror, reflecting the incoming fire back at the attackers. Bolters? It becomes a bizarre labyrinth of sharp angles that deflects the shells away from vital organs. Plasma? Electrically charged sea-urchin spines that disrupt the magnetic sheath of the bolt and cause it to detonate harmlessly in midair. Melee attacks? The armor can go so far as to sprout bladed limbs of its own to parry with. Almost any kind of attack in existence has some kind of counter, and the Phalanx can use them all. The armor also incorporates strength-boosting mechanisms, allowing the use of heavier-than-usual weapons, the most iconic of which is the Zweihander; a ten-foot-long power blade made for cleaving through entire ranks of men at once.

Thankfully, forging such suits of armor is time-consuming and difficult, limiting the number of Phalanxes in service. The only reliable way to overcome a Phalanxes' armor either with overwhelming force (heavy artillery, tank cannon) or by targeting them with multiple types of weapon simultaneously and hoping the armor gets 'confused' and is unable to effectively ward off them all. Among other Croneworlders, Phalanxes are both respected and pitied; the nature of the armor means that anyone who dons it effectively gives up all other sensation in favor of the heat of battle; an admirable choice in some ways, but not one most Slaaneshi would make.

Thoughts on these two?

So far there has been mention of "balesingers" alongside hereteks, sorcerers, and haemonculi, so they're presumably a crone aligned sort of craftsman, alike to the rest of the list. They might be the brains behind the Phalanx armors and Gorgon weapons.

make sure to finally add the list of gods

They be insidious, devastating and quite probably not safe to their users and allies. They're prefect.

Gonna have some ordinary guys writing posted in a few days. Maybe less, depends on my schedule and whether the people around me let me write.
Oh, and I'm doing some slight changes to the AdMech sociology stuff - mostly because I've never seen any factions of the AdMech other than "Doesn't touch xenos stuff, the warp, or innovation.", "Is an absolute heretek", and "is a heretek that fell to chaos".
So yeah, that's gonna change into a more sensible base for plenty of internal conflict. Still gonna keep the basics of the admech, and even beef it up, but the factions need an overhaul.

I don't know enough about the croneworld eldar, but I'm going to make them friends of the DMech.

Keep in mind that in this timeline the AdMech are more like “jerks with a heart of gold” rather than simple “jerks” like in canon. They’re assholes in general, but they actually have some redeeming features rather than being merely tolerated because they provide all the tech like in canon.

Case in point the Veyna fiasco.

In canon, the Adeptus Mechanicus noticed the lakes of liquid hydrogen at Veyna’s poles, unilaterally seized the planet for their own use without telling anyone in the greater Imperium, and rounded up all the inhabitants to be worked to death in the nearest Forge World.

Here, the Adeptus Mechanicus noticed the lakes of liquid hydrogen, filed a requisition form to the Administratum to expropriate the planet because of its strategic resources (mostly as a formality of a heads-up rather than to actually ask permission), forcibly relocated the locals to a nearby planet, and then sold them their own planet back to them by offering them jobs working in the factories refining liquid hydrogen.

Is this an asshole move to pull? Absolutely. But compared to what they did in canon it makes them downright saints.

>forcibly relocated the locals to a nearby planet, and then sold them their own planet back to them by offering them jobs working in the factories refining liquid hydrogen
Reasons why I like this AU. Gave me a chuckle.

So far, I'm pulling from Jewish jokes, traditions, and factions. But with more dickery.
Orthodox don't touch new-tech (what they call entirely new designs and xeno-tech)
Reform touch new-tech all the time.
Conservative touch it in private.
Reconstructionist are basically reform, but with way more reverse engineering to discover their sacred First Principles.
For children born to the faith of the Omnissiah, they are given their first implant 8 days after birth. It has blinky lights, but otherwise does nothing. At their 13th birthday, they are tested on their knowledge of the Rites, and given a pair of goggles. The goggles are useful.
Actually bears no resemblance to the ancestor of the Yechudite faith, despite scholars of ancient religions trying to prove so.

I can already see the in-universe conspiracy nuts frothing at the mouth.

And the biologicus?

The priests of Molech could be the Radagast the Brown equivalent to priests of Mars being Saruman the White.

I'd say Spinosa but that works too

The AdBio were lumped in with the Admech for Imperial Organization purposes. Their variant of the faith is (obviously) different, but can best be stated as Reform/Reconstructionist. There is literally no way to perform genetic modification by rote and get the same consistent result every time. Damn near every object produced will have a schematic somewhere, a standard template that details every part of its structure, construction, and workings.
People have no STC.
This time, they might have a point instead of pointing to Jewish advisors who were at the courts to make the local ruler like them enough to give a fucking eviction notice that didn't involve mass slaughter. Or the fact that Jews focused on being skilled labor that could be taken anywhere. Or how the Jews were consistently forced into providing their goods for less than cost and those who didn't were legally guilty of fraud.
Sorry, I grew up Jewish, and am just a little bitter over the entire conspiracy. Because if it was true, I would like my jew golds NOW. And a promotion.
And season 2 of Firefly.

Luther's rant on the
>Eldar
>galactic
>conspiracy
Jewish international conspiracy

>Spinosa
Ah, good old Baruch Spinoza. Too bad the fucking ashkinazim decided that the sephardi had to play by their rules, leading to the fucking Jew Popes of Amsterdam (the sephardic rabbis who kept a tight grip on the community to prevent the ankinazic rabbis from whipping up a pogram against them. Yes, that literally happened once), who excommunicated him for too many questions.
Actually, a perfect example for the AdMech vs AdBio fights.

And with random inspiration, here's the Yechudite faith (draft 1)
pastebin.com/ed60881M

Looks good for a basic outline. Is it going to go on The Page?

>Religion founded in middle of desert
>Orthodox version of religion is harsh and uncompromising, often seen as closed-off by outsiders
>Has a single god that is an eldritch being that often acts inconsistently and has trouble remembering the frailties of mortals, despite wanting to help
>It's often the prophets' job to protect the people from this god. Mostly by arguing with him.

What have we done, anons?

Soon. I'm going to flesh them out more, so suggestions are welcome.
I'm also working on the AdMech religion, so expect bouncing around between the two, while working on a story that consists of guardsmen swapping stories around a campfire, and writing whatever else strikes my fancy.
I'm slowly getting back into my creative groove, so actually completing something will be great for me.

More like what GW did. I just took the basic structure they provided, noticed the surface similarities, and ran with modifying it to fit the logical changes Nobledark suggests.

The Imperium has no true FTL communications technology. Attempts to find this holy grail has failed, except for one variant of the Astropaths: Ansible Twins.
What they are is simple: two twin astropaths who can communicate seamlessly between each other in realtime.
What they were is complicated: two identical twins, born within seconds of each other. They must have exactly identical psychic potential, have no more than ).25% neurological differences, and be strong enough to survive being soulbound at the same time.
Ansible Twins are extremely rare: the Imperium might create one or two pairs every decade. Needless to say, this restricts them to the extremely important communication links, and infighting over them is always fierce.

Two questions: First, how is this different from how normal astropaths work? It may not be instantaneous but astropathy is definitely FTL.

Also, wouldn't it be possible to just grow psyker embryos either in-vitro or in-vivo and just shock the zygotes into twinning? Or do psykers not work that way (like you can have a pair of twins, but one is a psyker and one is not)?

By the way:
sebpearce.com/bullshit/
chaoticshiny.com/religiongen.php
perfect for randomly creating new religions for our Nobledark Imperium.

It's beautiful. So sad that the only people in the Imperium truly aware of the scope of it consists of a few dozen people who know what's chained up in the basement.

In Vanilla Courtswain was the one who knew about the Void Dragon and it drove him completely bonkers. "Tear out the cybernetics and try and bite into an artery" type of bonkers.

In this Nobledarkness Senior Adept Courtswain is the person they show into the holding cell when they want some one to prod the Dragon or ask it questions. Needless to say he is the lowest ranking of the few what know.

Now the bonkers is replaced by vexation and irritation at the stupid word games and slippery answers and worrying questions. Also Senior Adept Courtswain is getting quite worried. Mag'ladroth has declared him to be Prophet Courtswain. When asked about this the Great Dragon replied

"You relay the words of your God to the lesser priests do you not? And you speak to your God on the comings and goings of your subjects. Do you not ask your God for wisdom and purpose and plead the case of the less worthy? You are my little prophet Courtswain. I have chosen you".

Ach, I forgot just how actually reliable Astropaths are now (Emperor trains them in a standard book of symbols, I guess).
AS for artificial Ansible Twins:
They tried. They discovered that there are just too many variables required for success, and forced twinning leads to a lot of failures. The AdBio still has a project dedicated to it, but it sees a single success about once every 3 decades or so. Mostly what happens is the twins can have widely varying potential, or one has all the potential, or even just the potential being a few decimal places different (when I said exactly the same potential, I mean exactly the same potential)

It could be one of those weird mysteries that crop up and leave it at that.

The original Ansible Twins were Tedward and Todburt Ansible, born 347M31 in the land of Strayllya on Old Earth. They definitely existed and Oscar definitely remembers Soul Binding them.

It was thought at the time by Magnus, who was they leading authority of weird ass fucked up shit, to be some sort of bio-warp based entanglement.

Attempts to duplicate it via cloning, induced twinning, cross possession and other methods have yielded no repeat of the phenomenon.

Very rarely the same thing is observed in other psychic twins with seemingly no cause or pattern.

They have determined the patterns of circumstance that create the chance to make Ansible Twins: Identical, born within seconds of each other, exactly the same psychic potential, and strong enough to be soul bound without losing their connection to each other. AS I said, one or two Ansible Twins are produced every decade (possibly century?), even with the thousands of potential pairs that are found every year across the Imperium. There are just too many background variables to create even a crude formula to determine who will succeed. There is an extremely unwieldy formula that has a higher success rate: 5%. The problem is that the average subject of the formula is dead when the math is done, and thus proven to have either failed or succeeded.

It's psykery. It's sticking your dick in the warp and hoping for the best. You can account for every variable, replicate every condition and still get a different result.

Real time reliable FTL communication. That's quicker than Navis Nobillite post boats, that's quicker than webway runners, that's even quicker than astropaths in good weather. It would revolutionize the Imperium. If they had a way of making Ansibles artificially no expense would be spared.

As such it must always be just out of reach because the universe is dark, the people are noble.

And the nature of the warp is why they can't artificially produce them. The best they can do is just look for specific circumstances and hope for the best. Even the best AdBio project can't be consistent, and Oscar won't touch most of them: they crazy. And usually get possessed. At the same time.
Also the entire thing of mass-producing psykers who, from the moment of their birth, know they are failures in a project, is not only unethical, it also leads to many issues. Like babies summoning daemons. The last project got shut down by its own manager, who committed suicide by turning himself into a servitor.

Random things from the background.

Kuridiam: An Eldar word meaning, roughly, “A detail revealed by a change in the lighting”.

Trokha Defera: Literally means “Acted Dilemma” in the language of a minor xenos race of the Imperium, this art form has become popular. It is very heavy on improvising and audience interaction, with the only absolutes between performances being the characters and the initial dilemma. What happens is the actors will wander between the minimalistic stage and the audience, seeking opinions on the current storyline, which always focuses on a particular dilemma the characters face, which can be moral, religious, philosophical, legal, or even a point of honor. AS the play progresses, the actors not only bring in suggestions from the audience, but also push their characters agenda, often complicating the situation while trying to reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Eldar Internet Defence Force when?

>Implying they haven't been infesting the board for years

Got the section on Erebus mostly done, should I post it here or put it on Pastebin for review?

Saving my stories to Pastebin because fuck digging through the achieves.

>Myrian Training
pastebin.com/tK49cVdq
How a desert death world train their PDF.

>Search and Destroy
pastebin.com/j3RnNXmj
The backlash from the Imperial Guard of Vandire's insanity.

>Beacon
pastebin.com/qc28cAaY
52nd Myrian Regiment explores a ruin to summon a galactic threat.

>Full Lasbolt Jacket
pastebin.com/vMvxA3Rf
Conscript's first experience of being thrown to crush a rebellion on a Fortress world.

If the writing is longer than two post, pastebin is where it probably belongs.

Pastebinned write-up of Erebus, based on what we had in the previous threads.

pastebin.com/BF3sixkj

Tried to keep it close to what we had for Erebus' backstory. That is, to quote the thread, a good guy who makes some bad decisions and “pays for it by becoming the world’s most dangerous meth head”.

Probably need to add more detail of what Erebus did during the heresy and what he’s doing now.

I kind of stole a bit of Alexander the Great for Erebus’ early life. Told from birth he was destined to grow up to be a great conqueror, when things didn’t seem to go to plan he just…lost it.

Erebus is telling the truth for once. He joined the Word Bearers as a rank-and-file but was just really good at destroying his records. He knows that playing up the mysterious “Was he a Word Bearer? Where did he come from?” angle makes him look scarier and gets him followers. He renamed himself Erebus because he’s an edgelord.

>Search and Destroy
>God-Emperor Vandire
>tfw when your own writing has vandire being worshipped by an emperor cult
Such a detail slipping in must be the work of a tactical...

>Come on guy, it's [Apostasy Age years]. Why aren't you worshipping God-Emperor Vandire?
Gets killed on Vandire's orders

Added the Lion writeup to the 1d4chan page, will go back and fix/clarify the parts with the new stuff we have for Luther later.

Got another one.

>Meltheads (definitely need a better name)
Meltheads appear to be in a state of constant disintegration, sloughing off tracts of skin and slowly bleeding from every pore. This is because they are, in fact, constantly disintegrating, at a rate matched by their incredible powers of regeneration. They form the cornerstone of the Croneworlder's biological/chemical attack capabilities; their flesh, as it dissolves, gives off toxic/hallucinogenic fumes of wildly varying effect and potency. In light concentrations, this can be warded off with standard NBC gear and void suits; in heavy concentration it ignores any and all conventional precautions, as it is psy-active and warp-based, and these qualities come to the fore as it accumulates. In addition, these clouds can exhibit mobility and sentience, actively pursuing enemies and hindering the movement of people caught in them. In addition, by ripping out their own (regenerating) organs and performing various rites with them, Meltheads can create still more elaborate and dangerous effects. The most common of these is the 'smoke pot', which simply vents long-lasting fumes in vast quantity until destroyed; enough smoke pots are certainly capable of rendering a world forever uninhabitable. Other known effects include 'rust clouds', which destroy machinery with hideous effectiveness, and 'purple fog', which can evidently phase in and out of existence and exert limited mind-control abilities over people caught in its range of influence.

(cont.)

For all their terrible power, Meltheads do have weaknesses. For one, they are often listless and unmotivated, having to be goaded into battle by their handlers; without provocation, they are often content to wander listlessly and stare blankly into the middle distance. Second, the smog generated by a Melthead is evidently in some sense still part of their 'body'; this means they can exert control over its movement and effects, but also that the smog dissipates quickly upon the Meltheads' death. Third, enough fire does indeed burn off the smog, making massed artillery and airstrikes a viable option for dealing with the more exotic or permanent effects.

While Meltheads are generally seen among Croneworlder forces, Nurglite examples have been known, and are generally even more hideous. There are indications that Meltheads are actually the castoffs and rejects of some experimental regime or procedure; what the finished, complete product would look like is almost too hideous to contemplate. Finding more information on this potential threat is a top priority of the Inquisition.

Thoughts on this one?

Nice and grim, the weaknesses are good. Possibly make them a bit rare?

So I was basically refluffing this game
freelancetraveller.com/features/culture/games/travfuda.html
But I'm not at my computer now. Sorry, I like to focus on random background details that add realism.
Ideas for games that people play in the Imperium? Other than a very meta grimdark fantasy wargame version of their universe?

You know what, more Croneworld elite infantry!

>Slaughtermen
The result of a Chaos Eldar being infected with the Obliterator techno-virus. Slaughtermen are capable of forming nearly any man-portable weapon out of their evil-nanomachine-infused flesh, for a wide definition of 'man-portable'. Even more dangerous, Slaughtermen are capable of extreme precision with their weapons; as their ammunition is as much a part of their body as their weapons, they can perform such feats as seeing through and steering their rounds mid-flight. This allows incredible feats of BVR accuracy, as well as makes them excellent scouts. On top of that, they are also capable of creating 'drone' weapons such as autoturrets and spider-mines in order to harass the enemy long after the Slaughterman itself has vacated the area. Fortunately, the formation of such tools is apparently extremely taxing and rarely done.

Slaughtermen do have their weaknesses. They do not have unlimited ammo; they evidently have an internal 'reservoir' of ammo-mass that slowly refills over time, and can be expended. This contributes to their emphasis on precision over mass of fire; compare Traitor Astartes infected with the Obliterator, who have either genuinely unlimited ammunition or simply a vastly larger 'reservoir' and thus lay about with abandon using heavy weapons. For another thing, they use projectile weapons almost exclusively; their ammo-scrying and ammo-steering abilities do not operate, or operate with reduced effectiveness, with energy bolts. Finally, even though their ability set would be greatly complemented by stealth and camouflage, they are often anything but stealthy. Flamboyant markers of rank and kill-count (synonymous among Slaughtermen fraternities) are the norm, which allows them to be picked out easily on the battlefield. Of course, exceptions exist. They are also found with some frequency among Khornate Eldar, for obvious reasons.

Thoughts?

Rarity works.

Damon that's grim.

This is far, far too fun. Somebody please send help, I can feel the warp overtaking me.

>Meatweavers
The combat medics of Croneworld forces. Meatweavers are bizarre things even by the standards of Chaos, bearing the scars and mutations of rampant self-experimentation. In battle, they show an incredible ability to quickly repair the wounded and dismantle the dead. Those the meatweaver deems beyond healing (a very variable judgement) are ripped apart, their organs stored and used to fix up others- or simply create hideous combat abominations. Any prolonged combat with Croneworlders will see these Frankensteins shambling across the battlefield, composite minds still dimly remembering the beings it once was. Beyond such creations, meatweavers sometimes inflict "upgrades" on their patients, ranging from redundant vital organs to extra arms to ghastbone prostetics. Not even the bodies of the enemy are safe, the corpses of humans and Eldar alike transformed into more horrific meat-weapons.

In combat, meatweavers pose little direct threat; although certainly lethal close-up, they prefer to focus on their work over direct engagement. It is the things they make, and their ability to restore wounded enemies to full health, that are dangerous. Interrogation by the Inquisition reveals that they regard their work as a sort of art form, their way of becoming closer to their god through the act of 'creation-rape'; the involuntary nature of their modifications is an essential part of the work. It has been suggested that all or most meatweavers start life as more 'normal' unit types, and are gradually transformed into meatweavers through successive rounds of injury, surgery, and augmentation.
They tend to get on fairly well with Ork Doks.

Hmm. Not quite happy with this one; it's missing something, although I can't quite put my finger on it. Any suggestions?

>literally walk up to the Dark Angles and say you are a Word Bearer emissary
>they let you stay with them
Alpha Legion tier infiltration

Two stories I saved detailing C'tan vampires.

>GeGe's Odd Adventure Part 1: Immortal Blood
pastebin.com/JXGgPE7H
Inquisitor's party encounters two Lahmian vampires.

>GeGe's Odd Adventure Part 2: Battle Stance
pastebin.com/KHnPEWnZ
That one time a Nosferatu vampire evolved beyond being a vampire.

With the Dark Angels it was more like he only showed himself to Luther, who was already not in the best place mentally to questiom things. Erebus convinced Luther, who then convinced the rest of the Fallen, who were more used to taking orders from him than from the Lion. No one in the Dark Angels knew Erebus was involved until they were too far gone to come back.

Or maybe that's still to obvious. Maybe the Word Bearers were known to tag along with other legion to act as the angel on their shoulder, and Erebus just exploited that. I would just say he tagged along with joint operations and corrupted people then, but Lorgar's not an idiot and he would have made sure an egg that bad was well-known among his legion, at the least.

Pretty good, but I was suggest a few changes. Right now, Erebus is sort of a nobody when he falls to Chaos, and I feel it's too late early. Erebus is established to have been the First Captain of the Word Bearers so either he hid his corruption for some time as he rose through the ranks or fell when he was an established hero. Personally, I think it works much better if he falls to Chaos after he's made it to First Captain since it a much more tragic character arc: here is a good person who was an admired hero and saint who was undermined by his self-expectations. I imagine he felt like a fraud since everyone hailed him as a saint and he never heard or felt the voice of god, so the doubt and desperation opens him up to Chaos. Being first Captain also better explains how Erebus is able to corrupt SMs in other legions, and adds an element of grief to Lorgar's vendetta against him rather than just anger at betrayal. Narratively, it emphasizes "dark" of nobledark, and that no one is above temporary weakness and the lure of temptation.

>it's too late early
Damn phone, it should just be "early"

I like the idea that the Legions would often borrow specialists from each other.

It's also possible that Erebus was being subtly masked by other Things so that they never made the connection between the description they were given and the man before them. So long as he never met any actual Word Bearers that had met him he would have been fine with a bit of cunning.

I agree that thematically it works much better. But if Erebus was the first captain, then everyone would have been on the lookout for him following his betrayal. It would be as if Kharn or Abbadon had fallen. He would have been too high profile not to notice.

Any suggestions on how we can get Erebus into the Space Marines in the first place? Right now it seems like he is doing it to spread the word of Chaos and spite Lorgar, but if his fall doesn't happen until later it doesn't work.

I'd like to keep the "vague, fuck-em up" prophecy in some way, because it sounds like a nice Oedipial self-fulfilling prophecy. Erebus was told he was destined to be a great leader and prophet. He was...but for Chaos.

Maybe that's why he changed his name to Erebus. Everyone would recognize First Captain whatshisface, Erebus had no name recognition. Although if he was as high up as Kharn or Abbadon, his face would have been pretty well known.

He chose the specific name Erebus because he is an edgelord (Greek myth connections to Chaos and all that).

They might not recognize his face afterwards.

Lorgar was well loved in his Legion. If someone spat in Lorgar's face whilst the Chaplain-Primarch was holding out the hand of friendship they would have had a bad day.

It could work like in the game 'Tyranny' where an army of the BBG have advisors, overseers, and diplomats from other armies of the BBG. In theory, these cross-army representatives work to relay orders, improve tactics, and keep each other in check. In practice, however, the effects are next to useless or are actually harmful.

>Arn't you the first captain of the Word Bearer Legion?
>No...
>Isn't he wanted?
>I have no clue what you're talking about...
>!
Compared to:
>Hello I'm generic Word Bearer #593 aka Erebus
>Are you the new advisor for the Dark Angles?
>Yes
>Welcome aboard!

Why does everyone assume Erebus had to be flamboyantly chaotic with horns and shit after he fell? Most of the time Chaos subversion is pretty subtle, like in canon where the Luna Wolves had no idea Erebus was evil and trying to convert Horus. Combine that with the Steward, who pretty much knew nothing of Chaos compared to canon Emps, so as long as Erebus stayed away from Farseers he was fine.

The specialist exchange could have been either Oscar or Guilliman's idea. In theory it should have been a brilliant thing that would have filled in the Legion weaknesses with borrowed strengths.

In practice it just made a lot of people shout at each other and little else.

The practice was largely abandoned as the Legions fell apart.

He wasn't flamboyantly chaotic, but Lorgar was well known to be very vocal about things he did not like. If First Captain Erebus fell you can bet Lorgar would be like

>This guy
>This fucker here
>Filthy double-traitor. Double-heretic. Caught him trying to subvert my legion.
>Public enemy number one. Make sure everyone knows his face and knows not to trust him

I was thinking he looked like every other Word Bearer when he infiltrates the other Legions. That's why he can say "Luther, I am Word Bearer Legion," and nobody gives a shit until goes full cultist mode.

>Mr. Iron Warrior, how do we dig-in properly?

>Have you ever built a planet-wide trench?

>[Empire's Sons shakes heads]

>No wonder you have this weak stench! To not known how to dig-in, should be considered a sin!

>Stop singing you ass, let me teach them how to fortify!

>An Imperial Fist?

>Set the turrets, when I say go, be ready throw! Go!

>[Empire's Sons deploy bunkers]

>No, throw down turrets, not bunker!

But that's the thing, Lorgar probably didn't even know Erebus was fallen until the WotB actually started. Consider the fact that Erebus is a sneaky git in canon and sets up the warrior lodges right under the noses of a lot of the loyalist Primarchs. Nothing explicitly chaotic, but sets up the groundwork and logistics for corrupting people.

Erebus in this AU would probably know it's best to keep his loyalties hidden until he can actually act on them, and if we go with this specialist exchange stuff then he was good reason to be away from Lorgar's attention for long periods of time. He probably roamed from legion to legion, building connections and sowing the seeds of doubt. For example, Erebus' first conversation with Luther probably wouldn't have been offer the deal, it probably was something along the lines of "Oh gee, Franj really USED to be a great place huh?" which would make Luther and all the hardlines Dark Angels froth at the mouth, so now Erebus knows what levers to pull to corrupt them.

The whole repentance conversation between Lorgar and Erebus could have taken place during the early WotB, when Lorgar still thought there might be hope for Erebus, in the same way that a lot of the canon loyalist Primarchs tried to talk down the traitors before they realized they weren't going to stop.

This was meant to reply to

Since we have such a big mess with our terms for the imperial forces:
The Imperial Army is the official designation for all the official armed forces of the Imperium (and thus does not include citizen militias, or Planetary Defense Forces, which are legally the same thing to the Imperium), a measure to ensure true combined arms forces. The Army includes
The Imperial Guard: the ground forces of the Army, including the in-atmosphere air forces, and the boarding forces used to capture ships (no matter how much the Navy complains).
The Imperial Navy: the dedicated space forces, including the specialized orbital bombardment platforms and the surface sea combat forces (no matter how much the Guard complains).
The Adeptus Astartes: the heavily augmented specialized forces, the elite of the elite, able to fight in space and on the ground. However, they really just go where they think they're needed.
The Orders Militant of the Adepta Sororitas: Technically not part of the Army, they insisted to "make the paperwork easier". Still, the fact that two separate organizations command them causes some issues.
Craftworld Forces: always under the command of the Eldar, even when seconded to other Imperial Forces.
Exodite Eldar: they actually have no issue with being part of any of the other Imperial Forces. The only forces that they aren't part of is The Astartes and Sororitas, as the augmentations are human only (and the Eldar are too genetically stable to be given such major augmentations).
Tau Forces: always under the command of Tau.
Other Forces: the oddballs, capable of being anything, such as Colonel-Seer Rommel and his force of custom heavy tanks and battlesuits.

>When did Lorgar find out Erebus had fallen

Lorgar discovering Erebus would have to be at the earliest sometime during the Great Crusade, because Lorgar didn't know that Chaos was actually malevolent as opposed to just dangerous until the Steward did. But it couldn't have been too long because the primary reason Erebus went unnoticed in canon is no one even knew Chaos existed.

On the other hand, Lorgar going thee hundred years without noticing something was off about Erebus, especially since Lorgar knew the signs of Chaos corruption, seems a little odd.

>For example, Erebus' first conversation with Luther probably wouldn't have been offer the deal, it probably was something along the lines of "Oh gee, Franj really USED to be a great place huh?" which would make Luther and all the hardlines Dark Angels froth at the mouth, so now Erebus knows what levers to pull to corrupt them.

This is probably exactly what happened.

>Colonel-Seer Rommel, commanding a combined tank/Tau battlesuit division
Why do I get the impression he's an Alaitoc Ranger.

>Rommel, Alaitoc Ranger?
Nope. Exodite (from an Eldar/Human/Tau world) who grew up with a minor archeocultural database that basically held Girls In Panzer, a shitton of heavy metal, and the cultural context articles for the entire thing. He grew up obsessed with tanks, and even changed his name to the ancient tank commander of Rommel. And his local farseer said he needed training as a seer, despite not showing a lick of ability for it, then said his second lesson would be found in the IG as a tank commander.
It was when war came to his homeworld that his destiny truly showed. His leman Russ wrecked outside his home village, he looked at two equally trashed tanks: a baneblade and a cobra. His until then hidden gift flared up, and he gave a fateful order to the local technicians and bone singers. Merge those tanks. 12 hours of work later, it was ready. His old mentor then said "the second lesson ends. Now begins the third."
Rommel called him a dick.
Rommel's foresight is extremely accurate, but severely limited. He can only see events that he will be present at, and occasionally get flashes of needed tactics (such as when he gave an Earthshaker precise firing angles and times, before kneecapping a chaos titan, putting it in a position for the Earthshaker round to hit an unprotected spot and detonate its power core).
He also loves music, and often sounds his charge into battle with his Carnedanian bagpipes.
His tanks make the orthodox Mechanicus scream in horror, send most Eldar into shock, and makes the average Tau cream their panties.
Cobra/scorpion armor on a baneblade chassis, its ground pressure reduced by grav tech, triple pulsers on the turret and a d-cannon secondary weapon, an advanced power plant, Tau stabilizers for even more accuracy, capable of 115km/h, the entire assembly is a masterpiece of combined engineering. And hard to produce, with only 10 a year (or less, depending on how often he needs spare parts).

It also lead to the Unifier class battlesuit, which is almost exclusive to his support infantry because production can barely keep up with said infantry's tendency to wreck enemy tanks by ramming.
50 tanks are under his command, as are 1000 battlesuits, and a support corp of quartermasters and technicians that count as an army in their own right.
Rommels has discovered the third lesson: he can push fate, but at the cost of his own soul. Farseers say he has 500 years before he needs to retire to the infinity circuit. He told them to piss off. He'll die before 500 years has gone by, and when he does...
There won't be enough of a soul left for any god to fight over. He knows the time of his death is coming, for he has seen it every night since his gift showed. Every night, a different version. 150 years to plan the perfect last battle. He will fall, his command will live, and chaos will be dealt a major blow. Soon, his doom will march on the Imperium, and he will do as the Guardsman does - and Hold The Line.

There is a joke that Rommel is Creed's secret alter ego, as they never seen in the same place. All jokes aside, every attempt to get the two of them in even the same sector has been sidetracked by the sudden appearance of threats they had to deal with.
The one time it worked, they stumbled onto a major cult of Tzeentch via a tank dropping through a sinkhole. Which answered every question of what force was preventing them from working together.
Then everything went back to normal and they were never on the same planet ever again.

All but for the origin of the dude and the lolz so randum Girls In Panzer for no reason it was pretty fucking good.

Would make more sense fro him to have been a dissatisfied youth from Alaitoc. One of the weird ones that never grew out of the wandering.

His personal war-chariot already sounds like a manifestation of his weirdness made in machine.

I'm imagining his full name being something on the lines of Kaeseith-Forsan Bill Fio'La N'dras Naseur Rommel av Alaitoc. He wears Tau pathfinder armour under a Steel Legion great coat. Armed with an eldar plasma pistol and a demiurg sword. All of it knickknacks picked up form centuries of wandering before he found his true calling.

I never said it was specifically GuP, but referenced that to give an idea of what it was.
I prefer Exodite and a dick far seer trainer since we need more Exodite characters.

The Exodites are basically Space Amish. They reject using advanced technology except in the direst situations where the natural defenses of the planet aren't enough to discourage any would-be attacker.

Much like there are some Craftworld Eldar that get dissatisfied with the rigidity of life on a Craftworld, there are probably some Exodite Eldar who get fed up with living in the Stone Age and join Craftworlds or settled Maiden Worlds (indeed, there probably are canon examples, but I cannot think of any). However, I doubt the Exodites would tolerate anyone trying to industrialize their world and change their way of life.

So in the last thread there was talk of the centuries of silence in which Vulkan vanished/died.

In Vanilla Chaplain Xeviar was a HH era chaplain that fought alongside the Primarch and later there was a chaplain of the same name in M41.

I'm going to suggest that we merge the two of them. Dreadnaught Chaplain Xeviar. Last disciple taught by Vulkan and probably the only person who knows what happened to him.

Not to be That Guy, but is anyone actually lending a hand with the organisation like in the OP? I haven't seen writefag around since and activity on the 1d4 seems absent, so if he's busy then the backlog of writefaggotry's just going to accumulate.

Was trying to get the Erebus stuff done since it was said that was something that needed to be written up and synthesized from the discussion in previous threads.

What specifically needs to be done to help with the organization? I don't know how to create new 1d4chan pages but I can help with other stuff.

I actually had some thoughts and suggestions on the Exodites and Eldar Maiden Worlds that might be applicable here.

When the Eldar joined the Imperium, one of their key terms was that the Imperium recognize the Eldar’s prior claim to the Maiden Worlds. The Eldar put a lot of work into terraforming those worlds for future settlement, and they didn’t appreciate the idea of someone else coming in and snatching up the fruits of all their hard work. The Imperium agreed, on the condition that the Eldar do the same for any worlds that had been clearly terraformed by humanity. As a result of this agreement the Craftworlds drew up a list of all the known Maiden Worlds in the galaxy. To the Eldar, this let the Imperium clearly know which worlds were “theirs”, though the Imperium pushed for it as well so the Eldar couldn’t suddenly show up when they colonized a planet and claim “this was a Maiden World all along”.

Unlike canon, the Eldars’ interest in keeping humans off Maiden Worlds is not entirely a matter of self-interest (though that is still the primary reason). It’s also a matter of safety. Terraforming a Maiden World often involved such things as subtly tweaking the orbit of a comet to smack the planet to provide water, or causing massive supervolcanic eruptions to alter the planet’s atmosphere, which would be devastating to anyone on the planet’s surface. The Eldar didn’t want people to go squatting on an unfinished Maiden World, get wiped out by a preplanned terraforming event, and then complain it was the Eldars’ fault, when the Eldar had warned them that unfinished Maiden Worlds were not safe.

In the last few millennia (read: in the millenia since the romanticization of the alliance), the Eldar have allowed small numbers of other species to live on Maiden Worlds, but only after they have been extensively settled and colonized by Eldar first. To the Eldar, the Maiden Worlds are Eldar worlds first and foremost, and members of other races are only allowed on them because the Eldar permit it. The Eldar never allow Maiden Worlds to be settled by other races first. The only “exception” to this is New Tanith, but that was more due to Prince Yriel than anything else. Officially, New Tanith was given to Prince Yriel on behalf of Biel-Tan as a gift, who then in turn gifted the planet to the refugees of Tanith, as was his right.

The Exodites are kind of like a combination between the Amish and Sakoku Japan. There is perhaps one major settlement on the planet that allows advanced technology, primarily as a spaceport to allow trade with the rest of the Imperium. The rest of the planet is explicitly low-tech.

In a previous thread it was mentioned that in some cases the Eldar prefer human goods because although they are lower quality they are often cheaper and can be made more quickly. The Exodites take this a step further. Much like many simple living groups (e.g., Amish, Mennonites), the Exodites often prefer human goods because they are crappy, and thus force the Exodites to work harder for their living. In addition, trading for tools made offworld means that an Exodite does not have to break from their austere lifestyle to make the tools necessary for such a lifestyle to be possible, and can devote more of their time to work. The Exodites mostly trade for these goods with surplus food (what little they usually produce) and handmade goods. Any surplus food that cannot be used for trade or stored for hard times is generally donated to the war effort.

The Exodites are rather picky about who they allow on their worlds. If an outsider wants to visit the world and watch the dinosaur jousting and is willing to do so respectfully and without disrupting the Exodite way of life (read: no high tech), fine. If one of their Craftworld kin gets fed up with the rigidity of the Paths and wants to adopt the Exodite way of life, fine. If a human wants to do the same, they may allow it, though the Exodites are often skeptical of the ability of a human to tolerate an Exodite’s low tech lifestyle.

However, the Exodites do not tolerate anyone trying to industrialize their world and disrupt their way of life, whether it be a Craftworlder or a human. Those who try to do so are summarily booted off the planet at best. Trying to invoke the protection of the Imperium to protect you in these matters does not work, as Imperial representatives are quick to say that the Exodites are the ones who make the rules on their worlds, and if you break the laws you are on your own.

Okay, so new faction of Eldar, who live on planets, but aren't Exodite. I got confused and thought Exodite meant any Eldar that didn't live on a Craftworld.
I helped move stuff to new pages last night. Just need to update each one with links back to the draft page.

Green World Eldar
The official story of The Fall is that the only two groups to survive the fall with almost no corruption were the Craftworlds and Exodite. The Green World Eldar would like to dispute this.
Green World is the crude and snappy translation of the term uses for them, which is more accurately "Eldar who live on a world whose aura is green with harmony between nature and technology". Another term is the ancient human word Brinker, translated to Eldar as " one who lives their desired life on the edges of government controlled areas".
Unfortunately for their history, most Green Worlders are lumped in with either the Craftworlds or the Exodite, depending on how built up the planet is. They do not reject advanced technology or industry, but rather seek to harmonize it with nature, sometimes in surprising ways. To them, each piece of architecture is an art piece that makes a statement. One planet could have two factories right next to each other, one emphasizing its alien nature by building it in the Gothic style of the AdMech, and the other showcasing the hidden nature of logistical infrastructure by being built below forested hills. A home could stand proud and separate from the surroundings, while another is an artificial tree covered in climbing vines.
Green Worlders also accept other races on their worlds, reasoning that they too have their ways of harmony, and shouldn't they, as a planet, provide an example of harmony to the Imperium?

I also want Rommel as a young, driven, tank genius. Makes the fact that he is fast-aging himself and literally burning through his soul that much more darker.
And such a self-sacrifice is pretty damn noble.

Is it a good pain?

>Hmm. Not quite happy with this one; it's missing something, although I can't quite put my finger on it. Any suggestions?

We have Cronedar witch-doctors being the primary medics for the Cronedar grunts. Maybe Meatweavers are more like a rarer, weirder combination of medic and mad scientist, something which doesn't have a good analogue in a modern army that doesn't have on-site body modification.

A song for the Dark Carnival (because we need at least one filk song per thread)
youtu.be/HyTIt4AioEI

I think it was mentioned in previous threads that the Craftworlders are starting to set up regular old settlements on planets. New Tanith was being eyed for colonization by Biel-Tan. Colchis is a thing.

Because the Eldar aren't fighting a hundred petty wars with the Imperium (not to mention they are no longer forced to do all of their own fighting themselves) the Eldar are probably not as much of a dying race as in canon, though the population growth rate is still probably much lower than the Dark Eldar. So it makes sense that some have started moving off the increasingly crowded Craftworlds and set up "normal" colonies on finished Maiden Worlds.

Why is he fast aging himself? I got that this was happening but not clear on why.

Its the cost of him pushing at the threads of fate to make sure he gets where he needs to be, and to avoid disaster in battle. Fast-aging is a side effect of his soul dying. The farseers want him to leave enough of a soul to go into an infinity circuit so he can guide the next generation. He foresees too many lost battles and lives that would weaken the next generation if he retires before his time. And that's if he survives his last battle. He doesn't intend to, winning it is worth his life and his tank.
Eldrad understands. Eldrad just makes sure Rommel leaves enough kids behind to give the Eldar a generation of driven people who will show even a portion of his ability.

Okay, how about this. The-guy-who-would-be-Erebus gets put on the throne by a petty kingdom, thinking this is a sign that he is supposed to fulfill his destiny. The people start to get converted by Lorgar and his congregation disappears.

Erebus is a little freaked out at first, until he thinks "shit, this Lorgar guy might have a point" and joins the Space Marines. He rises through the ranks, getting acolades for how virtuous and divinely inspired he is, but he feels like a fake and a failure because he never felt divinely inspired.

Lorgar mentions he would have two chances to repent, but one kind of becomes the other when he spits in Lorgar's face and the other Word Bearers bum rush him.

Hmm...a little better, though we don't really have that breaking point that would push Erebus over the edge and bring him to the attention of the Chaos Gods. He never hits the low that makes him vulnerable.

Spitting in Lorgar's face was Erebus' point of no return. He took this step all on his own with no help from Chaos and it was the step that damned him. The devil is willing to tie every knot except the hangman's noose, after all.

But why is his soul dying? I don't recall anything about the threads of fate being binding in that way. Everything I've always seen in the fluff is it's more like alternate possible futures than a binding fate.

Now if he was breaking reality to get shit done, I can kind of see it.

He is breaking reality. For most seers, changing the threads requires them to set up plans to set up plans to perform a particular action at the right time.
He takes the alternate, more dangerous path, which involves pushing on the threads themselves instead of the situation that supports them. And as I said, that's where the cost comes from: it requires not only energy, but a bit of the soul to keep the pressure on the thread. That bit dies when the task is completed, having given its energy.
That's why almost no farseer does it: every Eldar life is precious, making his constant use of it in battle a controversy. He does it because his foresight is limited to just events he will have a direct hand in (but extremely accurate to the event), and thus can't build up the network of agents and helpers most farseers use to direct the future.
Speaking of which, Eldar farseers being important to the Inquisition, yes or no?

He even knows which song he will die to (he has been seeing his final battle in his dreams for 150 years now): Blind Guardian's "And Then There Was Silence".

He is also easily dispensed with if we have a hard time fitting him in. He's a cool character that my brain insisted I tell you guys about, but at the same time, he's an eldar who grew up with an archive of ancient human media, commands fifty custom tanks, slowly kills himself with a controversial seer technique, and will announce his charge into battle by playing the bagpipes. He may be too weird for this verse, even if he is aweome.

Farseers would be great to be employ by the Inquisition. The problem is finding an Eldar who would willingly join the Inquisition. Whatever homeworld a Farseer is from would love to keep them. The Inquisition wouldn't give a shit about what the homeworld have to say but just conscripting Farseers run the risk of them escaping. Being the paranoid organization it is, they don't conscript them just to prevent creating renegade Farseers. If anything, you would see Farseers barely volunteering to work for the Inquisition or becoming Inquisitors themselves.

You would also see a lot of farseers joining tthe Inquisition. Not a lot, but enough to form a solid core of people who can look out for potential flashpoints.

>the inquisition would actually lie to itself this much just to get qt eldar waifus in their ranks

not on my watch

Get outta here, you xenophobic separatist.

eldar are good for ______

Again, in canon it is said the Eldar thought the Inquisition was one of the only good ideas the Imperium ever had. One even went so far as to say if the Eldar had their own Inquisition maybe the fall wouldn't have happened.

Not all seers are farseers you know. Some walk the Path of the Seer a while and then do something else. Farseers are just those who get fixated on it or decide they don't want to do anything else with their lives.

This now a Fallen thread!

>We have Cronedar witch-doctors being the primary medics for the Cronedar grunts.
I must have missed that. I'll rewrite it and see if anything new shakes loose.

We have Isha and the Emperor. Your shitposting is our training grounds.