Friends still play mtg after 20 fucking years

>friends still play mtg after 20 fucking years
>sold my decks long ago but want to get back into the game
>checking out mtg database sites to get a feel for some of the cooler cards i've missed over the years
>go on ebay to check prices
>pages upon pages of wallet rape
>no matter what i type
Fuck this shit. I'm tempted as fuck to just print out my own goddamned cards on glossy cardstock and make my own goddamned deck the way I want to. How the fuck is this game still around when everything costs so fucking much?

Other urls found in this thread:

eternalcardgame.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Market presence and sunk cost.

If you want a smaller, cheaper game that captures a fragment of the experience- Admittedly, the more casual part- pic related might be good for you.

I never understood how people shell out for stuff like cards and minis.

This is actually why people are saying MTG will die in 2017. It's not entirely true, but it's very much becoming a Hobbyist's game.

Take a look at set release threads and 40k Model/codex announcements. You'll see a lot of similar attitudes and technical terms used.

What might be better for you is to find a Deckbuilding game, where card power isn't linked to card rarity/cost. You simply buy the main game and any expansions, both players use the same pool of cards, and the game is played from there.

I'm actually looking for something similar to MTG in terms of a combat/war focus, but so far no luck.

Kickstarter exclusives. Dropped.

I want to see Magic die and all other card games as well. At least in their current form. I absolutely hate this rare card nonsense where you are pretty much hamstrung unless you fork out a fuckton of money. And then the vitriol from the neckbeard fanbase just grinds my gears. "You don't own a Jace the Mindsculpter? Hahahaha fucking pleb you aren't worth my time." Fuck that elitist shit.

>buying cards on ebay

There is your mistake, you can get them slightly cheaper.

If you live in europe you could check magiccardmarket for example.

tho as I said just slightly cheaper, the reason why shit is so expensive is because wizards refuses to reprint/prints only three to five chase rares/mythics per set.

My play group does exclusively draft and pauper/noble for those reasons.

>Kickstarter exclusives. Dropped.

Can't really blame you. I do think it's really stupid that so many companies lock real mechanical content behind crowdfunding walls like that.

Like, purely cosmetic differences, like luxury tokens or alternate art? Sure. But actual mechanical content for a game being unavailable to new players is really shitty IMO.

I will say Epic is still a complete and enjoyable game without it, but I can understand you not wanting to buy it on principle.

The rise of LCG's (Living Card Games) should make you happy then.

Exactly, which is why Deckbuilding games are going to be a major part of the future market: You buy everything in complete blocks, you don't lose money in an electronic format, you've got a much greater control over the meta, and the game is much less I'd a pay to win setup.

Of course, that's assuming players wise up and start playing those sorts of games.

Magic the Gathering really isn't even a game anymore. It's basically a puzzle to "solve" like D&D 3.5 was, except there's no real point because by the time you figure out the first iota of it, two thousand other retards have already solved the meta of that set and posted the best decks on the internet.

Collecting the cards is fucking stupid because the market for them swings all over the place. Wizards is literally prevented from balancing their game because they don't want backlash from crashing the secondary market. The autistic cunts who buy up all these cards have them by the balls. I say, fuck em. Let their cards go worthless, or soar in price so they can't get them. The "collectors" of this game are collecting literal cardboard that will degrade in another 40 years. It isn't collecting, it's just hoarding shit to sell for money later on. Except most of the Modern investors will lose their investment when Modern dies in another five years. The game is entirely pay-to-win and you can find the objectively best decks online, there is no point to homebrewing a deck anymore. It's like climbing Everest by foot instead of taking the (free) ski lift. And does brewing get you any extra prizes? Nope, in fact you probably wasted even more money tuning the deck. Unless you play with Proxies. Oh wait, Wizards made that illegal, too.

Anyone who still plays this game is an idiot. It's been utterly ruined by popularity, subformats, and Hasbro. Heathstone is raping the shit out of its sales and the game will be dead within 10 years. I suggest you get out while you can.

I love painting minis. I do it because it de stresses me after a long day of work.

At least you can use minis for many other things besides playing tabletop games with them.

If youre playing with friends only, proxy away

I like deckbuilding games, but they don't scratch the same itch of well... Deckbuilding that those other card games do. They are pretty close to draft/limited formats, but there is no point (at least in the ones I've played) where you just take what you collected and try to make something workable out of it.

Personally I've mostly moved on to LCGs (and X-wing, as list building DOES manage to scratch that same itch) as my replacement for magic. I more play deckbuilding games in the same category as I play board games

Cancerous Blizzard looking shit.

The fuck?

The only thing I miss now is EDH, and even then I stopped enjoying EDH because that format was "solved" with expensive rares too.

Then you weren't going far enough outside the box, I regularly wrecked the Avacyn player of my meta who sunk an inordinate amount of money into his decks.

A trash pilot given a storm deck will lose to a decent pilot with an intro deck. That doesn't mean the storm deck is worse.

that bish looking stupid thicc

Take a look at Codex.

It's fucking excellent.

There's a relatively recent digital card game that's almost entirely a MtG clone.
eternalcardgame.com/

Biggest differences are that summoning creatures doesn't cause a stack to cast instants onto and instead of tapping land for coloured mana you gain a generic pool or 'power' and need as least so many coloured influence to be allowed to play things.

ie, one blue and one red can be tapped to pay for two creatures that cost 1 blue each.

Oh, and it uses the digital format for shenanigans.
Like, if you apply a permanent +1/+1 token to a creature and it dies, it keeps those tokens in the grave, in your hand after you resurrect it, even if you shuffle it back into your deck.

It says that you can unlock everything by yourself without having to buy stuff, but what about Kikestarter exclusives or promos?

>rare card nonsense
Try LCGs maybe?

Do draft/limited.

Literally the best way to play Magic.

Serious question:

Why don't people just print off cards or play the game online with virtual decks? Why would you spend all that money on cardboard?

Not being a dick, just curious as to why you let yourself get jewed? Surely owning the physical card doesn't actually impact the game?

Promos can be crafted/won/opened as soon as the promotion they were associated with ends.

Fucking this. Find a shop that drafts and just play limited. I pay like 5 bucks every Friday to draft as long as I'm doing semi decent and winning packs to use the next week.

You get as much out of the game as you put into it. Its only fucking expensive if you make it so.

3rded.

paying money for trading cards makes sense at least in the way that they retain their value. so even though you'll be spending 8 bucks on a Balefire Dragon, you can still say "yo dave if you buy a pizza for me, i'll give you my balefire dragon" and then you won't have really lost any money by making the trade

spending money on miniatures is fucking retarded expensive though since they don't really retain their value

Having money helps.

>What is the internet.

A miserable pile of secrets.