/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
What role does technology play in your games, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2017/02/08/plane-shift-kaladesh-magic-the-gathering-meets-dungeonsdragons-again/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

keeps the party artificer occupied during rests and offtime, but is immediately forgotten about afterwards

Is it wrong that I'm sick of games having an actual plot, well thought-out characters, or drama and all that shit? I just want to go globetrotting killing monsters, saving helpless peasants, and making bank.

For retarded reasons I'm stuck playing a Warlock in our next campain. Most likely 1-20.

I hate everything about Warlocks (My group knows) from their flavor to the Eldritch Blast spamming, so is there any way to make this fun?

Guys I have made a stat allocating "system" for a 5e homebrew I am planning (which i need help as well)

but it kinda akin to fallout where the choices as a kid give you your character stats

so they start of 10 to everything

and so there is 5 choice and they get to another 5 point to allocate to their stats

The choice are distribute thought +2 stat A -1 stat B

Childhood book for each stats
eg +2 Con - 1 wis

Class
Gym-STR/ Lesson- Int /Sneaking-Dex

Break
lazing off- Con/ Flirting about- Charisma/ hanging with the older kits- Wis

Weapon Training
Depending on weapon STR orDEx

Magic training
Wis/Int/Con/Char (Con is not able to first draw magic at first)

and then 5 point to allocate

and tips to polish it

>Kaladesh artwork
Damnit WotC, Planeshift Kaladesh when?

Also Meganon, could you be so kind as to add the Zendikar races and the Inquisitor background to the tools, please?

can you not multi class??

Nothing wrong with that.

I used to DM games with fully fleshed-out world maps, sandbox capital cities, world-spanning cultures that the players could interact with and shape as they please.

Players liked it, but really didn't give a fuck about fluff.

The game I'm running right now, though? Totally on rails, don't-give-a-fuck monster hack n' slash with low-tier roleplaying on the side. Almost zero fluff beyond "everyone knows what dwarves and goblins are like."

Players suddenly can't get enough of that shit.

As someone who doesn't play MtG, what's cool about Kaladesh? What can we expect from its Plane Shift?

So far it looks like magitech India. Which is pretty cool, but also feels like they might be pandering to all the Indians who work in tech and play MtG.

No. I lost a drinking game and the deal was if I lost 1-20 Warlock but if I won he had to play 1-20 Champion Fighter. He's a 3e Caster fag.

don't use eldritch blast?
Now, despite everyone always bagging on it, I played a bladelock and it was quite fun, and now that SCAG has those melee cantrips it is probably even more so.

Pact of the Tome, Book of Shadows invocation, rituals not tied to anyone's spell list every chance you get.

Alternatively, play a variant homebrew patron, like pic related.

Why are you forced into a class?

Warlocks are a charisma keyed ranged martial. If you dislike martials, don't play one.

Just get disgue self and GOO => mind control and mind fuck your way to 20

Next week actually...

sageadvice.eu/2017/02/08/plane-shift-kaladesh-magic-the-gathering-meets-dungeonsdragons-again/

It pretty much is exactly magitech christmasland with an indian aesthetic.

Having an official release would be an easy way for them to officially publish the artificer too.

I'd be surprised if it's going to be ready for official release next week. The UA Artificer was a great proof of concept, but it needs a TON of work.

More than anything, I'm just glad they're not going to be making it as a wizard option for some idiot reason.

Well I'll be damned. Hype. I have a player that really digs the Aetherborn.

>I'd be surprised if it's going to be ready for official release next week. The UA Artificer was a great proof of concept, but it needs a TON of work.
>More than anything, I'm just glad they're not going to be making it as a wizard option for some idiot reason.
Sorry, what i meant was that, making an ACTUAL official release, maybe even a printed book, containing all the planeshifts would be a great way to print the artificer at the same time.

Or if it comes after whatever not!PHB2 turns out to be, more archetypes for it.

My DM started running a game like that once after we all played Shadow over Mystara together.

He handed out magic items like candy and we would level up twice instead of once whenever the the time came to make sure we would actually reach higher levels.

A bit too easy maybe but it was fun.

Here I love martials but would rather be playing Rogues and Rangers. Warlocks just feel like a creatures bitch, I know it's not but I still feel that way.

What would you rather do for your game?

>4d6 drop lowest
>3d6
>2d6+6

And don't start with >rolling for stats because some people like rolling and some people like point buy. There's no such thing as badwrongfun if that's what everyone wants

>What role does technology play in your games, Veeky Forums?

Haven't really played a game of D&D where technology has played a significant part in the adventure. Would like to experience something akin to Morrowind's Dwemer ruins though; strange automatons, odd mechanisms needing to be found and repaired to continuing delving deeper, etc.

Go full retard and play 8 CHA Dwarf Mountain Warlock or something.

Looking for a copy of Kobold Press's Southland Heroes book; it doesn't seem to be up in the Mega. Anyone got one?

I heard on Enworld that Planeshift: Khaladesh is apparently scheduled for February 16th.

Do you mind archers? Play the Warlock entirely as an Arcane Archer, fluff Eldritch Blast as your raw magic arrows, level 5 you even get "extra attack" in EBlast form.

Your other spells, just apply the same logic, or have them be your small magic tricks, depending on the spell.

In other words, refluff. It will make you happier than playing the fluff if you dislike the patron concept.

3d6 straight, no rerolls.

That sounds like a decent Bladlock desu.

Rolling for point to use in point-buy just to screw with everyone.

For serious answer? 2d6+6 in order. You will never get a non fuctional retard character with this and the result will be unique enough.

2d6+6, with point buy or standard array if the player doesn't like their rolls. I think that 2d6+6 is excellent because it provides a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 18, before racial modifiers are applied.

It kinda hurt when you get +CHA to damage at later level.

Are Warlocks next for UA? If so what do you want to see from them?

I made a setting really similar to that of kaladesh

People use zipline systems on various buildings to get around and Artifice is treated like religion. I want to use PS Kaladesh as I think it'll be great

3d6, in order, no rerolls
6 times
Pick a column or row, players can either choose diplomatically, or each rolls a d20 and go down the line choosing.

Fey and Anti-undead... oh wait..

>Whats cool about Kaladesh
Quick rundown
>Magic powered Tomorrowland with a casual Indian veneer to it.
>Traditional spellcasters are rare, most magic relies on a technological interface or can only really effect metals.
>Dwarves are actually pretty rad, less stodgy old mountain dwellers and now rough and tumble greasemonkeys.
>Burgeoning Sky-Whaling industry
>Artificer quick-smithing contests akin to Battlebots
>Entire race of people born as a byproduct of the use of magical tech, but instead of being evil smog-elemental assholes they just love to party

so i finished up running LMoP and everybody got magic items except the ranger and the barbarian

what would be some decent magic items to give them (everybody level 4?)

Has anyone played with the Artificer in their group yet? I am interested in the Gunsmith but I am worried about balance

What are you worry about specifically?

Just going by numbers, the balance is alright.

From what I've heard, the biggest gripe people have is that the Artificer just doesn't have that much it does.

I say you should just accept it. In fact, you should go all the way. Play an insane cultist deadset on serving his master. Constantly buy herds of farm animals just to sacrifice. Deface every flat surface you see with your master's symbol. Try to convert every villager you run into. Just go nuts.

What are they gonna do, complain that you're playing a warlock too straight?

Walrock here, I'm reworking my Merchants homebrew.

What are some other crazy types of legendary merchants I can add to my list?

What's Matt thinking right now?

What, indeed.

Who?

Fuck it I was looking over my options and I might just do this. As long as I don't go too lolrandumb they can't stop me.

Maybe if I'm luck the Warlock UA will come out soon and have something interesting in it.

I'm waiting for the rebroadcast, please use spoilers for the show if your gonna post.

Hopefully he's thinking about suicide. Critical Role sucks. The only reason to watch it is to lose your last miniscule speck of faith in humanity before killing yourself. It is a gathering of hipster nu-males and screeching whores they plop at a table, add a ton of boring shit on the screen, and then proceed to laugh autistically over inane shit for 2.5 hours. It is basically a RoosterTeeth video, except with a D&D session attached. These people are the biggest faggots on the planet. Matt Mercer's homebrew is shit, he's passable at best as a DM, and the women can't do anything except make fart / period jokes because they are disgusting whores. The other fat-asses aren't much better and are likely just there for the free attention and a chance at scoring with used up voice actress cunts.

If you spend your free time watching D&D, it is because you are a fucking social reject. Because you clearly cannot find a game. Because if you could find a game you would not be watching 2 to 3 hour episodes of these fags' "banter". I cannot think of anything more boring than watching some other people I don't give a fuck about, playing D&D. I'd rather paint my toenails with my dick cheese. What a fucking waste of time. I seriously hope Critical Role charters a bus and the bus crashes and they all fucking die. I am not even memeing, I fucking hate these cocksuckers, they are more obxnoious than the Yogscast/Roosterteeth, and they are flooding our hobby with these autistic youtube gaming addicts who will fuck up your D&D campaign and whine that it should be more like Skyrim.

I don't have a game for every day of the week user, especially during the middle of the night.

Alright, lemme give you some options.

Fiend Pact: Be a Barrister, have the Noble or the Courtier Background and basically be an infernal lawyer in the service of the 9 Hells, or more casually a very prestigious firm. Make the ideals of Law your backbone, have training in history, arcana, and diplomacy and try to be a party face and be very careful with your verbal deals and written arrangements. Its about using the law of the land to your advantage and seducing the corrupt, power hungry, or vulnerable with promises of power as you consign them to your senior partners.

Undying (SCAG) You're Renfield. Rather, a Renfield. You are slowly becoming more undead like but in truth you are the pawn of a powerful Vampire, and you are gathering intelligence for him in the world above and mastering your burgeoning powers of the night. Creepy, spindly, spider eater, and thing sniffer. There is an obvious imbalance about you which you are perhaps defensive of.

what are the best spells to get for a level 3 stone sorcerer? i got booming blade for offense and a bunch of other generic cantrips but i'm not entirely sure on 1st and 2nd level spells. i'm going shield for sure, but i'm not sure about thunderous smite or magic missile. i also got misty step for my 2nd level spell. are these solid choices?

if it's relevant, the party is a goliath fighter, drow cleric, and a dragonborn sorcerer. the goliath is basically our only melee.

what happened this time?

He getting cucked again?

Cry harder, sperg.

Are you okay?

That's a lot of effort to put into such low-quality bait.

Hope you feel you spent your time wisely.

>be an infernal lawyer in the service of the 9 Hells

Fuck.

That is an AMAZING idea.

I wanted to play an Eldritch Knight with a bow, but that seems so much better.

Thanks for the quick rundown

There's been extra patrons in UA already, have you given something like the Seeker or the Undying Light a peek?

So I'm trying to do "an ancient evil is slowly being awoken, and it's up to the heroes to stop it," deal, but I have a problem. How should I go about trying to do side quests? I don't really have any plans and if I just follow the main plot hook then the game would be over pretty quick.

probably missing Liam

Are you trolling or do you actually think this?
If you think this, do your wranglers know you're loose?

I did this in Curse of Strahd. Lawful Neutral with a bent on having personal vendettas against those who weasel out of faustian pacts but still deserve the pit for their other misdeeds.

Saw potential in a client of our formed and chartered party of adventurers, Ireena, and eventually after we built trust in travel and trying to ferry her to safety from Strahd offered her the Devil she didn't know over the Devil she did. Signed her up as a Warlock in Exchange for infernal protection to forever keep her soul out of Strahd's reach. DM used the signing of the contract/me training her into a level of Warlock as a way to drop the plot point that she was the reincarnation of Strahd's brother's wife whom the vampire coveted in life

It was really satisfying campaign. I wrote the party charter. In the event of party member death I or the executor of the charter if I were among the dead would hold their souls in escrow until we found a way out of the demi plane.

How far should I go with a Fighter/Rogue multiclass? What would be a good balance for them?

I chose to make it Rogue 1, Fighter 1, since there's a low-level game at my FLGS. Variant human with the duel-wielding feat and two-weapon fighting style. I just want to be a dual-wielding guy who can take a bit of a beating and then slip in that Sneak Attack.

Just go full CoC and start a cult or something

You want Extra Attack as soon as possible, after that your more free to do what you want.

I guess you are dual-wielding rapier?

Someone who has the login info for the MEGA needs to share it. You use it to log in, and then upload the files.

Hi, /5eg/, what do you guys think of the Kingdom/Faction/Warfare rules Legendary Games put out?

Are they worth buying? Are they worth using if I can find pirated copies? Am I better off homebrewing something? Better off converting something from another system?

How would I make DEX Paladin work?

Dual wield daggers, light armor, defensive fighting style

Rapier+Shield also works just fine, in which case defensive or dueling.

The problem with option 1 is that it's entirely nova, and no sustain since it only really serves to unload your smites as quickly as possible, so even if you do use it, you may want to switch it out for shield/rapier when you run out of spell slots.

>Sam the Artificer

TWF is essential. I recommend going variant human, taking the feat Dual Wielder, then dipping a level in fighter for Two-Weapon Fighting proper. Then, paladin it up the rest of the way, wearing light armor and taking the Defender fighting style from paladin.

Why is TWF so good? Smite operates off weapon attacks, so you can effectively Smite twice on your turn. Three times, once you get Extra Attack.

Seconding shield+rapier w/ dueling, Path of the ancients for extra gracefulness

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Smite operates off of spell slots, not individual weapon attacks.

Fluff Eldritch Blasts as eye beams.

Trust me.

refluff them as anything really. refluff it as a magical gun or something for fucks sake.

3d6
any roll below 8 is fixed to 8
any roll above 16 is fixed to 16

Enjoy.

Hey
I like some rooster teeth videos

Elemental Pact
Celestial Pact
Nature Pact
Arcane Pact
Modron Pact

How do I become a better DM and better engage players.
Just practice and time?
I've only been a DM 3 times now and only have ran the campaign out of the starter set.

Based on the reactions that Matt and Sam had by the end, it was all according to keikaku.

Smite uses spell slots as fuel, but it triggers off of a weapon attack that hits.

Thus, the more weapon attacks you have in a turn = the more chances to hit = more potential smites.

Until you run out of spell slots, anyway. But you could fix that easy enough with a 1-level warlock dip, if you really wanted.

Retarded build question.

What are the most resources I can expend in a single turn? I don't care about actual nova potential or dpr, I'm only interested in using as many things as possible all at once that can only come back after a long rest.

Right now all I have is a sorcadin for the Smite/Quickened Spell combo.

> wasting your sstat on STR just to multiclass

>players meet an entity who loves games of chance
>prize if they win a game oc chance
What game do I as the DM host for players? Something akin to Blackjack but not the same game

So warlocks can be shitty versions of every class?

You want a hug mate?

Warlocks have such crazy potential for fluff and RP. Love it.

>Modron Pact

Neat.

Play Pazaak.

I'm guessing that I can't just make both do Sneak Attack damage. But yeah, having many attacks will be beneficial as hell.

But of course! I am Polnareff now. It is me.

>google Pazaak

Isn't this just Blackjack?

Should I play a creepy Circle of Twilight Druid or a nice friendly Circle of Dreams one?

No. It's Pazaak.

user please

It follows the same principal, but adds a bit of depth and strategy, especially since its played over multiple rounds per game.

Basically

Aim for 20
Don't be over 20 at the end of a turn.
You have cards in "hand" that you can play in any of the rounds of a game, including +/- and special values.
First to 3 wins the game.

>Shadow over Mystara

Let's all take a moment to appreciate that this game existed.

Pure Pazaak.

Why not creepy Circle of Dreams, or nice and friendly Circle of Twilight

It's not wrong, but the game as kind of grown from that. You'll find more of that kind of game in the OSR community.