MtG alternate art

when it comes to MtG cards with alternate art, which one do you prefer to put in your deck?

The one on the right has this muted expression that really conflicts with the word "berserker."

The only one I have strong feelings about is brainstorm. I wish I could get a paper printing of the Vintage Masters art, but until then the Mercadian Masques art is the only serviceable art. Luckily you also get preference of frame.

That's true, but right looks better

I like to have as many different arts as possible. Full arts, alt arts, alters (sometimes), special editions, etc.

>semen visions

because it is cooler than it has any right to be

I like 5th edition and 8th edition Urza's Lands.

I never liked the 12 different arts thing, because it's confusing for my opponent and they're already having a tough enough time playing against Tron.

i don't get how people prefer >volcano reks dragonman

nice dubs and why does masques get to have the best versions of so many cards?

new voltaic key disgusts me. go urza's or go home.

Let's play a game of side-by-side.

>Spaghetti monster
>Iron dildo
>African elephants
>Not the ball. and the EMA one is even better.
>The one that looks like a guide
>Avacyn
>Nielsen
>Avon
>Morbacher
>Neither, both are shit
>The one that isn't Nahiri
>Badass japman

Including a Baga artwork Mox would make it no contest.

tastiest magic card ever printed imo

As much as i prefer the left Primetime, the right will always make me happy because it looks like King Shisa from godzilla vs mechagodzilla.

The original All is Dust is one of my favorite card arts desu.

>all is dust
original
>batterskull
meh
>call of the herd
original one
>chrome mox
original one
>goblin guide
new one
>griselbrand
there's a difference?
>lotus cobra
fucking terese nielsen
>maelstrom pulse
new one
>primetime
I like both, but the stance in the old one is better
>spiritmonger
both are awful, but new one is slightly less awful
>SFM
both are nice, but the foiling on the new one is pretty so I pick that one
>jitte
Original

It's a pretty good set for that, but Urza's Saga is where it's at.

5th Edition
5th Edition again
M10 a best
As much as I like Rebecca Guay, the Lockwood print is cool as shit.
Tempest
All are cool, but I'm a sucker for the original for the lore.
Original

Pic related is best shock. Art and quote.

>all is dust
Both are nice in their own way
>batterskull
Left one gets the point across slightly better
>call of the herd
Right is better because I'm not a fan of dark, difficult to discern artwork like on the left
>chrome mox
Can't decide, both are interesting
>goblin guide
Don't like either
>griselbrand
The positioning of the left one makes more sense but the right one has better coloring, it's a wash
>lotus cobra
Left one is okay, I like the flower edges at the top corners, but the right one is incredible
>maelstrom pulse
Left one is infinitely better, the right one is murky and unclear, the left one is crackling and exciting
>primeval Titan
Left one doesn't have anything that shows us the scale of the Titan, could just be a buff Viking dude, I prefer the right
>spirit monger
Left art is boring, right art is unclear but more interesting
>Stoneforge mystic
Left art could just be a random kor cleric, lame, right art is a mystical stone working weaponsmith, obviously superior
>jitte
The jap man is cool but I prefer art that focuses on the "star of the show", so to speak

>Hallowed Fountain
Original
>Godless Shrine
Return
>Watery Grave
Return
>Overgrown Tomb
Original
>Blood Crypt
Return
>Breeding Pool
Expedition
>Stomping Ground
Original
>Steam Vents
Expedition
>Temple Garden
Original
>Sacred Foundry
Original

7th edition

portal

antiquities

tempest

2nd promo

promo

Anyone who uses that Kaladesh faggotry can get fucked.

OG blueprint thopter is best thopter.

The expedition arts are all trash in terms of the merits of the art alone, I think they look decent given the foil and overall uniqueness of the physical cards though

This may be an unpopular opinion but I actually prefer the RTR arts more than the original for all except hallowed fountain and sacred foundry

Original hallowed fountain is impeccable

Man the new prints of this are awful. They really thought edgelord with sword and Mary Sue being angsty could top the fucking Death Star and lore relevancy?

I feel like it's actually a serious problem that a card like vindicate has such oddly specific flavor to the original printing, not to mention the spaceship battle art is at odds with magic flavor for the most part, but not always

Personally I don't like when something as generic as "destroy target permanent" has super specific flavor that may or may not fit with what I'm building with my WB deck. I feel like I only want it if I'm building specifically a weather light based deck

However I agree the newer printings are unsatisfactory, sorin isn't interesting, and the other art is more along the lines of how I'd like but the execution is lacking

The defiling of old, good cards to further shill nuwalkers disgusts me. This duel deck version completely lacks the humor value of the original and doesn't work as well with the general flavor of the card.

Best corrupt by a hot mile

Ice age>promo>rest

i'm glad some of you have your heads on straight

I like all the arts

Completely disagree in the case of browbeat, the flavor works perfectly for the new version, it's just more grand, also the old version wasn't really humorous, it was very literal, guy is browbeating another guy

In general I agree, when a card just as a new planeswalker being edgy and cool it bothers me but you wouldn't realize the duel deck version of browbeat was about neowalkers unless you already knew this "tibalt" character was a neowalker, it just looks like a cool display of intimidation be a powerful red Mage

Love OG Goblin Guide, looks like a gob you can trust. As for Cobra I really want to own both- 2 of my favorite MTG artists ever right there.

Well, while I don't particularly have an opinion on the matter, the OG Terminate art much more clearly shows its Red component. Alara Terminate is the same as any old Black kill spell, except I guess there's a red glow. Red players might prefer the firey flavor of the original to the necromantic flavor of the new one, which Black players might be at home with.

>All is dust
Old version's aesthetics are better. The picture makes more sense and darker art shines more nicely through transparent text box.

>Batterskull
New version shows some movement, it's ramming the shit out of that wood. Other than that I think they both look silly to me.

>Call of the herd
Both ok in their own way. Art is beautiful.

>Chrome mox
Jesus that new version looks like a mess.

>Goblin guide
I like the original version's contrast more. New one is like a mess of red.

>Griselbrand
I don't know what it is, but the new one doesn't look nice. Maybe it has to be seen as foil in live to be better.

>Lotus cobra
God I love both of these.

>Maelstrom pulse
OG is so much more eerie. Love it.

>Primeval titan
Both fine in it's own way. Original is a bit more inventing with light, makes it more interesting.

>Stoneforge mystic
New one is a mess. Blue and white person on blue and white background and the ground is meh.

>Jitte
Both ok. Nothing too fancy.

I like a lot of those, mostly more of originals, but fucking expeditions, ewww. They look so shit to me, I don't know why. They are done by good artists, but they just end up looking mess in the cards.

>new Spiritmonger

Absolutely disgusting.

>all is dust
Original.

>butterskull
Promo probably, but the original is pretty good too

>call of the herd
Original.

>mox
both are pretty bad

>goblin guide
Promo, no doubt

>griselbrand
Promo

>cobra
terese fucking nielsen

>pulse
I like both, but I prefer the original one

>titan
Original

>spiritmonger
Original

>SFM
eeeeeeeeeeh.... original

>jitte
it's a jitte, not a toshi card. Original

Just priced out getting ultra-mythics for my karn edh deck. About 2.5k. Gonna be worth it. Wasteland and Chalice are gonna be the first buys. What do you guys think Amonkhet is gonna feature? Sorceries?

Planeswalkers

Thats a pretty ballsy prediction

We all know it's gonna be the Jacetice League vs Bolas, or at least a pawn of Bolas. I don't think my idea's that crazy.

The thing that annoys me the most is that they changed Ornithopter's text on the regular kaladesh card. Why the fuck would you not.

>What do you guys think Amonkhet is gonna feature?
Enchantments.

Worship
Omniscience
Necropotence
Blood Moon
Doubling Season

You honestly think WotC would print alt art JtMS, LotV, Bolas, Karn and Ugin. So few planeswalkers are relevant. Most would be trash. Imagine ultra-mythic Wrath of God or Damnation

I'm pissed they didn't change it for the core sets. If they are so common in the multiverse, combined with the new art, different text would be better. I'm glad Kaladesh has different art and flavor

Enchantments makes some sense. Though then they couldn't do Cruel Ultimatum and that easy to do cycle

I guess I misunderstood your question, I thought you were asking about the theme of the set, not the "expedition". Yeah, I can see sorceries.

I was going to be a cunt untill I realized that halfway through typing my response. I tried be as un-dickish as I could.. Its all good. Planeswalkers might be the send-off set of MtG though

Nah man. Ajani told them to go to Dominara and recruit as many PW as possible or else they're going to get wrecked. Jace ignored him. My prediction is that when Bolas next meets the Gatewatch he'll absolutely wreck them and then they follow through with Ajani's plan and expand.

That's the set we'll see PW masterpieces. The Dominara one.

Don't know about Amonkhet, but I feel like whenever we inevitably have Ravnica 3.0, we'll see Masterpiece Legends.

>Hallowed Fountain
Original

>Goddless Shrine
RtR

>Watery Grave
Expedition

>Overgrown Tomb
Original

>Blood Crypt
RtR

>Breeding Pool
RtR

>Stomping Ground
Original

>Steam Vents
Expedition

>Temple Garden
Original

>Sacred Foundry
Original

Bump a good thread.
I tend to use all the different pictures In my decks.
Just seems to be an added surprise.

Except ornithopters, original all the way.

Hallowed Fountain

Godless Shrine

Watery Grave

Overgrown Tomb

Blood Crypt

Breeding Pool

Stomping Ground

Steam Vents

Temple Garden

Sacred Foundry