Are there any settings that you'd really like to see as an RPG? I'll start

Are there any settings that you'd really like to see as an RPG? I'll start.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rce6HTFBaFg
youtube.com/watch?v=JF4tjhI3D0A
youtu.be/lNSdvuekkRQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_Roleplaying_Game
youtube.com/watch?v=ynY2begPzoM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hell. Real Hell.

I'm sure there are many games set in Detroit.

Real hell, but your goal is to rescue your elementary school teacher, who was a witch.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rce6HTFBaFg

(Yes they made a fucking anime)

Of all the things.

I'd like to see a decent Fallout RPG that isn't an autism simulator or GURPS, while at the same time quietly pretending Fallout 3 and 4 just didn't happen.

That's very specific, user. Besides, the problem with 3 and 4 wasn't the setting, it was the questlines.

And both introduced some interesting things.

That would just end up being GURPS with the SPECIAL system though.

Wizard of Oz meets Star Wars

It was kinda both. 3 and 4 were both designed in such a fashion that they seemed as though they were designed by people who had a vague idea of what Fallout was and little else.

Kill me if you must, but I think it could be pretty interesting.

And it gave the series a further identity. I'm not a huge Bethesda defender, but I appreciate them at least keeping the franchise alive and making it different from other post apocalyptic settings.

That said, they can go up their own ass sometimes.

Are you somehow not aware of the RPGs that do exist?

And just to be clear, I want core game pokemon where you play as a trainer. Roleplaying as a pokemon is too gay even for me.

I kinda thought OP meant pen and paper rpg...
Does one such exist?

Oh no, we want it, it's just impossible to do.

Only way you can make it work as a trainer is if combat is done through a rules-light skirmish system that makes it easy and quick, then RP outside of that. Basically a campaign Wargame.

Or you do it as a Mystery Dungeon, in which case use PTU.

youtube.com/watch?v=JF4tjhI3D0A

Which one is that?

My niggest of niggas.

Yes but it's unmitigated shit.

Why would you think it impossible?

Human PC has skills and stats as per traditional rpg. Can interact with the world and NPCs.
Has a number of pokemon that can be used for combat or problem solving. Each pokemon has stats, abilities and perhaps just a limited number (4?) attacks.

Combat could be resolved just like in D&D, except the PC stands on the sideline giving orders to his pokemon.

Seems pretty forward to me.

>videogame has inconsistency
>haha so funny only us nerds can get it
kill yourself

Look for Pokerole or Pokemon Tabletop Adventures.
Pokerole is the less shit of them in my opinion, but PTA is the most popular.

Already has an PRG, it's PBtA like Dungeon World. It's pretty solid, but your mileage may vary. I can't seem to find the PDF, maybe another user will be merciful and grace us with it.

youtu.be/lNSdvuekkRQ

I think they planned something like that before they made the Zeno Clash we all know.

But there is one.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_Roleplaying_Game

Basically, you have two options when making a Pokemon TTRPG: you can stat out all 600+ Pokemon, the gorillion moves, and the various sub-mechanics of the game, and make them balanced and vidya-accurate, after which you will be thoroughly mad and likely to kill yourself and dedicate your soul to some sort of Elder Pokegod, or you take a lighter approach, handle Pokemon, moves, and other aspects with a more freeform/build-your-own approach and nix a good deal of the original system's mechanics and assets at which point it's debatable if you're even playing Pokemon. Unlike other franchises, Pokemon is basically JUST mechanics and setting minutiae; translating other thing to TTRPGs tends to be easier as there's a general concept to be translated with a few mechanical gimmicks at most (e.g. Fallout = survive in a retro postapoc wasteland + hit locations) but for Pokemon you have to stat out literally every single detail (to continue with the Fallout example, imagine that in addition to following the above guidelines, you have to stat out every NPC from every Fallout game).

>tl;dr if it closely resembles the vidya, it can't (in any practical way, at least) be converted to tabletop, and if it doesn't closely resemble the vidya, it's not really a conversion at all.

Also playing vidya as a tabletop game for some reason leads to people treating it like the vidya; every time I ran it, the PCs would try to fucking GRIND IN A TTRPG. Oh and speaking of issues running it, all that legwork for the vidya-accurate conversion doesn't end at publication; GMs will have to build every mon and every team on top of the standard GMing duties, and while I don't run D&D too often anymore, that experience had me wishing I could just point to the orcs in the MM and say "this is your random encounter, there are 2d4 of them, let's have some fun."

>...at which point it's debatable if you're even playing Pokemon
Of course you're still playing Pokemon.
Let the game's mechanics inform your decision and how things interact, sure, but it's ridiculous to assert that it's invalid if it's not an exact replication.

>Pokemon is basically JUST mechanics and setting minutiae
Use the setting minutiae. Have an adventure in the setting. Like with any other RPG.

Just take the WEG d6 game and use SPECIAL instead of their own stats.

You can do conversion in half an hour probably.

Meh. The system is literally meh. It just doesn't seem to support the game world very well. Even M&M looks like a better match.

Every (802) Pokemon already has stats, so it doesn't seem too out of the question to convert those stats (every 50 atk points equal 1 STR, or whatever works out best) but keeping track of everything in a battle would be tedious if not impossible. Might as well just set up a Pokemon showdown battle or something at that point

I'd love to play in a breath of fire world.

Mind bending Nihei cityscapes are a dungeon-crawler's wet dream.

I'd love to see something between mount&blade and Xcom in a modern setting. Something that involves a lot of crunch, a small party where each player has several soldiers per mission, and tactical combat where death comes easily. Players could be mercenaries in any modern hell-hole from Syria, to the Balkans, to Mexico.

>stat out all 600+
Have you seen how many monster manuals there are for pf? It would be easy to do, or alternatively to just make the initial box be red/blue and do expansion from there. It doesn't have to be an completionist fulfilment thing. Like, it would and it would suck, but it doesn't have to just because you think people can't stat 600 monsters.

Pic related.
Any point of the timeline.
Bounty hunters, Pilots, Rebels, Eco Sages, Precursor Order Monks, Krimzon Guards as classes.
Eco Mutants, Metal Heads, Lurkers, Precursors and main Eco-Elves base race as playable races and/or monsters.
I'd play the shit out of it.

YES.

Honestly I kinda would have thought to use Exalted.

There's also an offbrand one with BESM whose name escapes me. Something about cute fighting seizure monsters.

Exalted is too setting specific but I think this is a step in the right direction. KSBD is about how you punch, rob and trash the Universe to get the secrets out of it and use them for your betterment. It needs some esoteric bullshit and at least a little math.

This guy gets it. I'd love to see good eco mechanics, or play through the original metal head war, or fighting dark makers.

Or anything really.

kek

Pokérole for rules light but less 'realistic' in terms of wild encounters and criminals
PTA (Pokémon Tabletop Adventures) if you're a scrub
PTU (Pokémon Tabletop United) if you want to be able to play any type of trainer, including psychics, AND be able to punch Lugia in the face

>Steven Universe
Play as a gem with class and abilities dependent on gem category (all gems have a purpose).
I'd love to run a campaign where the party works for the Diamonds infiltrating another rebellion and either crushing it or joining it

>Avatar (TLA/TLOK)
to be fair, I could just run this in FATE, making all benders include bending as a key aspect

>Overwatch
being able to create a hero with a unique set of skills, carrying out missions and such against the Omnic Threat
Again, could run this in any rp-heavy system

>Saga
Unique races, magic, guns, etc.

>Kill La Kill
Players are club presidents at the school. Create all of your own crazy powers based on the club you run and do shit around the school competing with other clubs for members and fame/infamy. Eventually the players would have to battle other schools to take them over. I think there's a lot of fun to be had there.

>PTU shill
Go to bed, Doxy

Ars Magica has that.

U wut m8

Dinotopia.

Nobody is.

I swear, about 4 or 5 times a week someone asks us for "the best system to play a pokemon RPG", and everytime we must answer; Pokemon Adventures RPG or Pokecthulhu, because that's what they're designed for.

youtube.com/watch?v=ynY2begPzoM

GOAT black man

World Trigger

Speaking of which, are there good games for space combat that AREN'T fleet wargames?

Descent.

Crimson Skies. With rules for both airborne swashbuckling and ground-based schmoozing and fisticuffs, please and thank you.

Maybe also something for base management, and zep to zep combat.

And we can all pretend the plot of High Road to Revenge never happened, right? Right.

Aww yeah, my man.

>nostalgia
Huh. Is it any good?

You can just use Warbirds. It's pretty good for that.

How is Ars Magicka? I've seen it mentioned a couple times this month but I've never bothered to look into it much.

So far I think my best option is Warbirds with their Modern Aircraft module for going rules-lite, but I don't know what rules-heavy to use if my players want that.

I wouldn't mind a dedicated system at all.