/mtg/ modern general

Dredge can never be a deck without troll desu.

I'm not going to ask any questions, cause I think there are some questions we need to be asking ourselves as human beings ;_;

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/faggetry/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-68-10-tix-modern-turn-2-tokens
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>surgical in infect

I mean, I kind of understand it, some decks only run a 4 of pte, still i don't know.

>WAAAAH WAAAHH X CARD IS NOT AS INTENDED
>WAHH WAHH THEY BROKE MY FORMAT AND I CAN'T HAVE 15 ROUNDS OF TAPPING MY CREATURES

grow the fuck up, everything should be unbanned, banning more cards is not the answer you stupid sick creature tapping pieces of shit.

t. lantern control player

This. Gimme back my Splinter Twin.

Seriously, Twin never deserved the ban

I got tired of making threads anyway. Thanks for putting modern in the subject. Easier to ctrl+f, and lets other filter it

You did good work old, OP. But I think we want some shitpost generals for a couple of days

>ban mox opal

I went 3-2 yesterday with Eldrazi Tron. Won against Affinity(2-1), Grixis Delver (2-1) and Jund (2-1), lost to Bogles 2-1 I revealed a Chalice with Matter Reshaper and that cost me the last game and U/W Control 2-0 he played Visions turn 1 and 3 on game 1 and outvalued me hard, game 2 he drew his only Crucible he had in the sb and destroyed a bunch of my lands. I also did a play that would have won me the game, but he topdecked Supreme Verdict and cleared my board.

Twin's only sin was being URx, attracting the worst kind of talentless Spikes. The euphoric kind who think that they have more skill than everyone simply because they play COMBO™

If we banned Mox I would leak a little under. Shiiit. There'd be so much salt at my LGS I wouldn't stop smiling until Amonkek drops.

At least you weren't the guy who tried to sundering growth a darksteel citidel T2 against affinity.
>i know it wasn't you
>because it was me

i feel like des mtg is running wizards
>ban shit no one wanted banned
>cut out modern more to replace it with basically nothing
>print nothing but standard bulk crap for the rest of time

I hate that autistic fuck. Doesn't help he is straight up bad at the game

You really didn't know it's indestructible?

You are pretty stupid aren't you? I played dredge before it was cool and continue playing dredge in legacy until my cards are so chafed I can't read them.

I can see why they banned dredge, they have stated it many times. What I don't understand is that why they unbanned troll if they don't want dredge to be a deck. Just goes to show how fucking uncoordinated wizards is at maintaining modern banlist.

They banned twin to "diversify" modern, making room for other blue decks. Yeah, there was no other blue decks, because it's fucking bad color to play in modern and banning only viable blue deck isn't magically making blue more playable. Their thinking is so fucked up.

I wonder if initially ancestral vision and sword of the meek would have been better than they now are, but I doubt it considering how many other more powerful cards were in format.

I think I have seen only one video from him and it was about common mistakes in made in mtg. It was so backwards stupid with him fucking even the rules and card interactions that it hurt my soul seeing people considering it as a good video.

He's taking trolling on next level by being himself.

So was Grixis Twin the right build before it died? Just a splash? I don't even think I'd run tasigur, but k command and the like

If you read the comments oh god why, most of them worship that idiot for preaching TRUTH

Fuck this. I felt adventurous so went to check magic mistakes part 36. Guys talks about how people hate misinformation and then goes on to make a video that's completely fucked up. That guy is a master troll.

5/5 went to complete rage mode. (sort of)

Is he actually on part 36?

No idea, but that's what it says on title.

>So was Grixis Twin the right build before it died? Just a splash? I don't even think I'd run tasigur, but k command and the like

I think it was. The K Command is such a powerful card in a deck running Snapcaster Mage. The 2 cards were essentially made for eachother.

The UR deck could be anemic if you didn't get the combo soon, Grixis Twin felt more "full".

That, plus thoughtsieze and IoK. Grixis Twin may have been the reason it was bannedit wasnt. Wizards just hates fun

I personally always felt that jeskai twin was the way to go back before the ban.
Helix gives you the option to simply burn out your opponent, and path is always good.

Yeah, i was playing twin during Deathrite Shaman Jund meta. It was interesting playing mirror matches just before the ban when a heap of bandwagoneers bought in to the deck thinking it was the best deck in the format - they couldnt win the mirror just by jamming the combo

>Couldn't win in DRS Jund just by jamming combo
>Implying that wasn't the entire deck back then
Every list I know of ran like 8 pester and deceiver and 8 twin and kiki, you're a cuck

Straight UR - Cryptic Command, better mana base, mainboard utility lands like lighthouse and tec edge

>i was playing during deathrite jund
>bandwagoneers bought in to deck just before banning

Going to GP Brisbane next weekend.
Any tips?

That was RTR and BFZ? Like 4 years apart?

Beware of killer spiders and shitposters

New player here, got back from a modern tournament at my LGS and I didn't win a single match, which was expected. What wasn't expected was the fact that everyone and their mothers was playing decks of 500 bucks while I was playing with my shitty izzet fiend deck and I wouldn't even get to play since everyone would instadelete me. I know that you magic players are probably tired of listening to this type of shit but it felt p2w especially the endless fetchlands and right now I feel like shit.
Is there a chance to beat costly decks with budget ones beyond them just getting screwed with the draw?

Post the decklist. U/R Fiend lost a lot of power now that Probe is banned.

>shitty izzet fiend deck
Post list?

>Is there a chance to beat costly decks with budget ones beyond them just getting screwed with the draw?
Yes, with the right list, right matchups and a bit of luck.

Consider going mono, so no need for fetches (INB4 deck thinning).

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/faggetry/
I know that it's not good, I spent most of my budget in gitaxian probes which got banned three weeks later. I wold like to add at least another bedlam in exchange of temur because they clogged my hand.

You need fetchlands and shock lands to filter your deck so you wont draw 5 of them in a row.

Welcome to modern, where mana base is usually what costs the most.

Also, consider faithless looting instead of charm and bring couple of protection spells main board like dispell, mizzium etc.

That's better then what I was expecting. Consider the following:

Stormchaser Mage
Blistercoil Wierd
Clout of the Dominus

Hybrid mana can be a great way to bypass the need to filter.

Rift Bolt is really bad. Manamorphose allows you to fix your mana and draws you a card, so it's basically a free spell. Thing in the Ice is really good in this deck.
You don't neeed Tarns, but fetchlands are good, specially in this deck. You really don't want to draw lands when you're going off, but if you run 17-18 lands it doesn't really matter since that's super low.

Even with 18 lands but no fetchlands you can get flooded.
Happened to me more than once in pauper prowess.

That happens.

taking a break from edh, trying my hand at modern since i had most of these cards lying around before getting the rest. how good is this deck, and how bad is it if i have galvanic blasts instead of sudden shocks? any tips?

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-68-10-tix-modern-turn-2-tokens

It's not so much p2w as it is p2play.
You need to be able to drop some money
Kinda like bringing your Prius to a racing event and getting upset the Indy cars beat you

Is Teysa, Orzhov Scion + Painter's Servant + Blasting Station/Blood Artist/Cutthroat a viable combo in Modern?
Can run 4 Path 4 Push and 4 Discard spells plus Lingering Souls

too many pieces, even abzan company runs less pieces that autowin them the game.

Well you might as well run green so you can run coco and chord. And there are better combos in abzan like melira visera finks, and then maybe you want to cut the paths and discard and souls for more utility creatures.

>I'm not going to ask any questions, cause I think there are some questions we need to be asking ourselves as human beings

Questions such as
>playin?
>hatin?
>brewin?
>wishin?

>wishin

Miracles in modern

But you can play miracles in modern. And it would be fucking miracle to win a game with them.

None of my decks have ever got a ban (Burn, Affinity, 8Rack & Merfolk) and even I am tired of their shit.
I'd rather play vs Pod, Twin, Dredge, DRS Jund, Storm and CAW Blade all in the same tournament. Than play against three Tron, two Cheerios and two Bant Eldrazi. This shit feels like Standard with three good decks and a bunch of shitbrews now.

I hate that modern has so few viable decks. I have Burn and Titanshift but I want to play something "fun" for a while.

>playin?
My-Deck-Dies-To-Cars standard
>hatin?
Wizards
>brewin?
Random jank including Standard Dwarf Boats, Legacy Poisonless Infect, and a fun frontier deck that will never actually happen because the cardpool is so broken and/or shit.
>wishin?
Cheaper staples. I don't care if planeswalkers cost big $$$, just give me some decent lands for less then 1$ each.

>Kinda like bringing your Prius to a racing event and getting upset the Indy cars beat you
Then why does Wizards keep printing Prius cards?

Yeah they've really ruined Modern at this point. I dont even know why I still play it the only reason I can think is that its one of the few formats that fire regularly at my LGS, I hate standard even more, and a draft is twice as much cash

Like being completely honest does anyone even have fun with Modern anymore? I used to love this format I really did and to clarify none of my decks have been banned so this isnt just salt speaking, but now its just so stale and dull. Id rather play Legacy or even Commander because the format is so boring and repetitive. There are less then 8 viable decks left. Jund, Abzan, Affinity, Burn, Tron, Eldrazi, and Scapeshift are fucking it as far as competitive tier 1 decks go. The meme decks are even more annoying to play against because its shit like Puresteel or Expertise combo where if they have a god hand they win if not they durdle and lose. This format is the absolute worst because of Wizards.

And im being 100% serious when I say I face the exact same decks in Modern regardless of what store I go to. Its a lot of Jund/Abzan a fuck load of Tron and a lot of Burn and Bant Eldrazi and occasional Affinity.
I have no issue with any of those decks desu its just fucking boring when I sit down to play a tournament and oh look its Jund/Burn/Tron again.

Sunk cost fallacy.
I sold my duals because I didn't have a deck to play them in, and bought 100% of Descent 2nd Edition, a PS4 a bike and a new phone.
But I cannot bring myself to sell Affinity despite playing it less than once a month because "I spend so much time and money building it!"

Because if you don't play this shit you will autolose every match which is fucking boring. I'm and I while I love the idea of the game I can't play for shit because all decks straight up outvalue me with pure creaute power or they are tuned to kill in turn three or lose which is fucking boring.
I don't even know what to play. In modern or legacy because there are insane combos and the meta is too established, I can't do jackshit in stardard becase the decks are costly as fuck like in modern but they also lose value in a year. I like draft, playing in the aether revolt reveal was fun as fuck but it's too expensive to play regulary. Playing cube requires a shitload of people to get into it because I don't have enough cards and everyone else is too busy playing with their costly decks which makes sense since they spent a lot of cash on them. Maybe I should try commander, it seems more fun and cheaper since you only need one of every expensive card and the high variance can make every game trully different.

>the sky is falling!
Fucking leave already then. So tired of you babies crying constantly

Holy shit, kill yourself you child. I don't care about your casual deck not winning. We obviously enjoy the format. Go back to slinging grizzly bears at your kitchen table please

I have no idea what you are on about. My deck competes and I win often. I have two pricy Modern decks which both win and are competitive. Its just the format is boring as shit regardless of if you are winning or not.
Well is it not? The sky has been falling on this format and it will be replaced by Frontier ( which I hate equally as much btw ) in short order.
Im not the guy you replied to. I play Burn and top 8 often. Its just boring to do so when I face the same decks over and over again because ironically Wizards has banned the diversity out of the format.

>playin?
U/R gifts storm (before it was cool)
>hatin?
Modern community
>brewin?
Helping with blue staff for a friend
>wishin?
non-shit cantrips to come off banlist (never happening)

I literally built 8Rack with Hymns and won a Legacy league with it.
The meta is established, so you you build something that can beat 2/3 of the top decks and go to town on their unsuspecting asses. I've also won with an "Aristocrats" deck. Because unlike Modern, Legacy has the best answers so you can build funny shit and normalize the playing field off the power of Liliana, Swords, Force or DRS.

Wizards basically killed diversity by their bannings. You dont ban good decks so that non competitive decks can compete. Thats like banning Ferraris on a race track because they push out the Priuses well guess what a Prius is still unviable to race with after the ban. Banning Twin or any other deck didnt increase diversity it reduced it because the decks that were bad before it was gone are still bad now that it is gone.

Also Wizards should take a look back at the original ban list, the one taken from Extended powerhouses and take a few cards off since they assumed Modern would have a power level similar to Extended but its so much higher then that that something like Sword of the Meek which dominated Extended is completely unplayable in Modern.

Would you fuck off already? We know it's you, the stupid Izzet blitz casual making post after post

You do "ban" ferraris so shit can compete. Look at F-1 right now with their limitations on engines, speed, etc.

WotC has an "idea" of what they want Modern to look and they'll continue to push that "idea" we like it or not, even more so as long as Modern has a PT and as long as MaRo believes that Modern as a format gets solved the moment a PT happens and needs to get an overhaul that would screw up the established decks and meta.

Im not saying no ban list is needed im saying theyve gone overboard and banned the diversity out of the format

I really like my lgs desu. Nobody brings a tier 1 deck and it's fucking fantastic. No Tron, now GBx, no burn, no affinity. Just tier 2 shit and it's the best. Nobody really runs aggro either, it's just a bunch of brows facing off with tier 2 decks, combo and control mostly. It's really fun, and I love it. People who bring burn to fnm are autistic btw.

Sorry but I enjoy the competitive aspect and decks in modern. If I wanted to play casual jank I would and I do. But when I go out to play modern I want to play competitively

It's literally just this one idiot posting over and over. This is pathetic

That's what tourneys and time between rounds is for desu. Tier 2 decks are still competitive, no one is playing zombie tribal.

Those decks were problematic and actually hurt diversity though user, they dominated the format and pushed every other deck out. Trust us we know what's best for you and the modern format, which we test extensively btw.

Nice blog post, friend. +1 upboat

t. Burn Player

>he brings his same 40 Lightning Bolt deck to fnm every single week
Sad!

>he doesn't want to win

Sad!

>n-no don't bring good decks to fnm I won't be able to play my Fungus tribal ;_;
>hating on burn of all things
Sure enough as soon as the OP changed we get casual shitters in the thread.

Take note future OP

Anyone try an Esper Geist list? I'm thinking Geist, a couple Spell Quellers/Resto Angels and then a whole bunch of counter spells and hand discard as additional protection

How is twin still banned? fucking bridge and torpor orb were already a thing and there is that kaladesh echantment that gives lifes when the exarch/pestermites start comming in.

WHEN IS SPOILER SEASON FOR MMA2017

Got your spoilers right here senpai
>snap mythic
>lili mythic
>bolt mythic
>path mythic
>goblin guide mythic
>draft chaff
No need to thank me for the insider info senpai

I'm the guy earlier doing the shitpost about wizards inability to make good banlist. I think you have to kill every top deck for jank to be viable or not ban anything. Every single format will always have "the best deck" and you have to just deal with it, but what absolutely busts my balls is the fact that they went around killing one by one the most popular deck before pro tour. What the hell is point of killing one deck and leave 6 other same level deck around, when, like you said, those will make sure timmy's shitty jank will not be able to compete anyway.

It was fucktard move to delete competitive decks from field.

That's the thing, if only they had a fucking idea what they want. Wizards decisions are always clusterfuck and they never are in the same page internally.

"Look at me, this is not shitpost, I swear"

kek

>he thinks they'll reprint snap
>he thinks they'll reprint lily
>he thinks bolt, path and guide won't be lottery cards and will be just mythics
wishful thinking.

Why bother making things complicated. Just put tarmo to mythic and everything else can be good old EDH jank(tm). They will sell well for 9.99$ a pack.

I didn't touch MM2 draft, because it seemed like complete garbage. Was it any good?

No senpai they won't do that because then people won't buy them. The lottery cards are fetches which they never actually print, they just say they did. WotC doesn't want to hurt the secondary market, were going to have hidden rarities on every good card, to help the draft environment of the set stay healthy and enjoyable.

What does better vs Bant Eldrazi/control heavy meta, GW or GB Tron?

>people won't buy shit with lottery cards
You underestimate the carrot principle
>hurt secondary market
Secondary market profits from lottery cards and so does WotC
>he believes WotC cares about draft environment when most boxes are opened by single sellers
"draft environment" is an excuse to get away with reprinting shitty cards at lower rarities and "OP" cards at Mythic rarities ("OP" meaning cards that people need to play in Modern).

Let us be honest here - we could almost unanimously agree on having a single shitty to draft set every ~2 years, just to get the cards we actually need cheaper, for playing multiple times a week.

No, MM2 was hot garbage to draft. One of the worst experiences. Overpriced, tons of bulk rares, and very weak """"synergy"""" cards. It was why a lot of people were surprised Eternal Masters (and Conspiracy 2) was actually fun to draft, people thought Wizards straight up couldn't create fun limited sets anymore.

The real question is - can WotC ever again create a standard environment that is at least remotely close to enjoyable?

Most people, including myself are very certain that the answer is, indeed - No, never again.

It sometimes feels like they manage to make good draft set only by accident. I honestly believe the issue is so many cards being so conditioned on specific scenario, that it makes most cards outright unplayable, hence limits the plausible lines to draft your deck. From testing innistrad cube, most of things work together in weird ways making it a lot more interesting than many other sets I've seen.

And anyway personally cubes have been superior to any draft set I've tried. It's liberating when you have 15 viable cards without single outright garbage card.

>drafting mongooses
>playing with them after so many years
Was worth the money...

>innistrad
Literally the best set in magic. I still love invisible stalker, wish there was a plae for him in constructed,

Check out mtggoldfish dot com for some decklists with prices - $200 & $300 competitive, tier decks do exist

old innistrad?

Yes, I haven't tried drafting the newer sets in a while. Heard some of them were ok.

But I just like cube more for now.

Like 5 weeks before release so end of Feb. Wizards trying to hide it and not build up any hype because they hate Modern even though players much prefer modern to standard

Post lists

Set comes out on march 17th, spoilers start 2 weeks prior so should be 3rd/4th of march. I expect they will prob reveal a couple cards at the upcoming duo modern gp weekend in a weeks time though.

>You need fetchlands and shock lands
Man, if I had the cash...
>Fathless looting
Now this is interesting, I mostly use the charm for draws anyways
Mizzium I'm not so sure. I already have apostle which works for both protection and damage, but well I could try it
>stormchaser
Looks like a slower swiftspear with flying. Not sure if worth it
>Blistercoil Wierd
I don't get it. I attack with it, then I play an instant and I attack with it again? Looks like a combo piece, but I again I don't know what to cut. At one mana his competiton is swiftspear and she is just amazing at what she does
>Clout
Looks useful, especially the red side to give the kilns haste, but again I don't know what to cut.
>Rift Bolt is really bad
Why? It's basically another lighting bolt. It's there mostly to survive and clean the board in turn 3 so that I can drop my hand and go ham. It's slow I guess.
>Manamorphose
I debated what expensive card I should buy: probes or manamorphose. Probes won me in the end, wizard fucked me in the ass.
Useful for sure, I will get them at some point too.
>thing in the ice
It's like ten bucks, not exactly budget friendly. I like it a lot though, maybe for my birthday.
Dunno who you are but you ain't me buddy

Also, on a different note, I looked at a goryo revenge/through the breach deck and it make me salivate. There isn't a budget variant right?

But user! MM2 had commons like Simic Initiate! GET HYPED!

>It's like ten bucks, not exactly budget friendly.

Not anymore, it's like $3.25 now.