/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Redguard Memospore Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos

Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:First_Empire_of_the_Nords
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Winterhold College is not OSHA approved.

What makes you say that?

No guardrails.

have you SEEN that bridge?

Only on a five foot stretch of walkway, and besides, it's not like they planned for the rest of Winterhold to collapse into the sea.

that shit happened decades ago and none of the mages could be bothered to fix that bridge

true nords would have appreciated the value of safe infrastructure and rebuilt it within days

I'm sure it's fine. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

is there a Tamriel equivalent to Humpty-Dumpty?

Probably some kind of silly guar

>some kind of silly guar
Why is the first thing I think of one of Curio's plays?

Well, it's in Skyrim, so, a drunken Nord? Although I don't know why a Nord would want to have anything to do with a building full of magic users, drunk or not.

>wizards
>caring if a few dumb plebs who can't even levitate fall off a bridge
Levitation is basic Mysticism, get your head out of the dirt and buy a scroll if you're that scared of gravity.

>a drunken nord decided to kill some magic wielding milk drinkers
>he fell because wizards don't care for infrastructure

what a story

Lyg

I'm pretty sure it remained unfixed because after the collapse the Nords refused to do much to fix the place at all, refused to give funding for reconstruction, and just sat around in meadhalls refusing to do anything going "muh past" despite Winterhold being a Nordic institution (dating back to since the days of King Olaf).

The mages, meanwhile due to the lack of new ideas and people coming in couldn't be bothered to take the time to drum up extra effort and revenue out of the budget to fix the bridge, and figured if the Birds weren't going to care about them, then they'll just sit around and not care either.

Then, to make matters worse, both the War and the Civil War have now made collecting tax revenue sodding impossible, so they couldn't do it even if they wanted.
Thanks Ulric.

Fukken Stormcloaks

Does any source say St. Alessia's hair color?

No, but it was probably brown or black.

Reminder that Nords are the Kangzposters of Tamriel

Talos was a nord!

Don't believe it? Do your research!

That one paintbrush was black, IIRC

There are no real descriptions of how Alessia looked.
This is supposedly a statue of her, but we cant really be sure of how accurate of a depiction it is.
and honestly, I'd rather hope it's not an accurate depiction.

Are you thinking of Dibella?

Whoa, man

Levitation is a federal crime, you know
They may be wizards, but they're not all criminals
That's kinda racist, dude

DERP, yes

What about Slowfall then, or is that also Dunmer only as well?

Is it a little weird how the game that got rid of Mysticism as its own spell school actually had the Psijics take a direct hand in the Mage questline?

Faces were not exactly Oblivion's Strongsuit, that strongsuit was cities.

I think that title goes to Colovians who fall more along the lines of WE WUZ NORDS N SHIT

Talos was a Breton, a Colovian, and the undead ash-ghost of a Nord smashed together through mantling

What evidence is there to back that the "Threefold Mangod" is more likely than the Atmoran Nord?

The Underking existing.

you have it in reverse, it's the Nords who keep trying to claim the Colovians, since the Colovians were the backbone of the three greatest empires in Tamriel, while the Nords have always been warmongering axedraggers who can barely form a single kingdom for more than a generation on their own. Just so Nords can be like "we win emprahs an sheet"

The Atmorans actually founded the first empire.

slowfall would still make you fall, and the bottom of that bridge is filled with snow trolls and other beasts.

It gives you time to prepare for the trolls, beasts, and bear traps meant to keep the beasts away.

The fact that Tiber was never from Atmora, that he was recorded as being Hjalti from Alcaire before being crowned Talos after Hrol'Dan, the fact that they celebrate his birth as a holiday in Alcaire to this day, the fact he didn't ascend to godhood until the Underking got hold of the Totem during the Warp in the West, and the fact that nearly all of the emperors of Tiber's direct line were either Breton or Colovian

>Alessia
>Atmoran
And this is why everyone else thinks you Nords are illiterate and uneducated

Do Orcs interbreed often? Racial Phylogeny mentions it was shameful for orcs to impregnate or be impregnated by another race, but doesn't mention that for other interracial couplings.

Also: people stopped coming from Atmora way before Hjalti was born. The ghost in Hrol'Dan that HOLY SHIT I JUST REALIZED HROL'DAN = KING HROL mistakes you for Hjalti mentions their training in Alcaire.

>The mages' college quest does not involve meaningfully improving the mages' college whatsoever
BETHESDA!

I assumed, while playing, that after the eye of magus stuff was over you'd have to go to every court wizard in Skyrim to get support to improve the college and winterhold itself, sorta a reverse of the mages' guild quest in Oblivion, and that this would lead to you being elected as the new Chancellor after the current one inevitably died.
This was, obviously, not the case. But I'm surprised there's never been a mod for it. Maybe the "going around getting support for the college" thing would be complicated too much by the civil war.

No, user, Colovians are fucking giant Nordaboos. This is entry level lore.

I didn't say "the first Cyrodiilic empire." I said "the first empire, as in, uesp.net/wiki/Lore:First_Empire_of_the_Nords

I'm not sure what you're asking here

>But I'm surprised there's never been a mod for it.
There is a mod that completely renovates the college from the ground up, and allows you to use magic to fix the bridge, if you so choose.

Also adds a greenhouse, remakes every room, and a million other stuff

You can also choose to doff the title of Archmage, and let Tolfdir have the job instead

That's because it's not generally that shameful. It's considered a bit off, and Dunmer get their panties in a twist (to their discredit, I love me some Dunmer ladies) but generally man/mer relationships don't get you laughed out of town

He wants to know if his orc waifu being a breeder slut is lore friendly.

It is.

Don't most of the court wizards stay on even after their Jarls have been deposed?

Depends on the type of Orc
Orcs from a Stronghold? Probably not. Imperial Citizen Orcs? Probably.
Orsinians? Maybe, they do tend to act a lot like Bretons, so I imagine they would breed with them to

>Brelyna actually looks rather cute with those huge purple eyes
>remove the hood
>that colossal fivehead

Huh.

On one hand, my scientific curiosity really wants to know what the various half x/half x would look like, but on the other, it would be a heinous violation of my healer oath to force a coupling. I wonder if I could find some volunteers?

I like it when the OP image sparks discussion

Orsinium is basically orcs trying to be Bretons?

in my headcanon she's a fiery redhead

It's not like you're going to pick up a court wizard off the street, this isn't High Rock.

Usually it's not that hard to figure out. Most half orcs would be greenish with a bit of the other race's skin tone, and probably a smaller mouth. Half khajiit are the trick, though, they'd look elven and humanoid. Probably a bit like catgirls.

Do you think we'll see akavir in a future game?

besides, most court wizards give no fuck about the political inclination of their jarls.

for most of them it's like the civil war never happened in the first place

>majority of cataclysmically devastating events caused by mages
>they represent a minority of the population
Hmmm

Half-Khajiit would be tricky, because then the moons get involved.

How would male orcs even kiss other people? Seems like the tusks would get in the way.

fuck posted by accident

anyway, what are cataclysmic events caused by mages?

the shitstorm at winterhold wasn't caused by mages, there's no evidence.

the red year was just a volcano going off.

the vivec meteor thing was not caused by vivec, it was temporarily stopped by him.

the marukhati selective thing, well, it wasn't really a devastating event, just a bizarre one.

Was the Collapse of Winterhold even causes by mages? I'm unsure if it was ever confirmed it not

Personally, my money is on Dreugh or those Ice Demons from Akavir

Yokuda sinking might have been caused by filthy wizards as much as it may have been caused by yokudas just loving cutting shit way too much.

>implying it wasn't the fault of those filthy left-handed elves

I'm sure they'd figure something out

I thought Bretons hated Orsinium.

Heavy open mouth tongue wrestling

They do, but they also like business and politics, and Gortwog did his damnest to make Orsinium competitive enough at it

>Hrol'Dan
I thought it was just Hroldan?

So we are agreed the yokudans invented circumcision

>breton girls and guys get horny from numbers and words

Actually they usually have the race of the mother. It takes several, several, and then a few more generations of interbreeding before they start looking like any kind of halfie

So, LOTS of volunteers then?

It was originally Hrol'Dan, and was a great stronghold held by the Reachmen

After it got smashed by Whulfarth aiding Hjalti, it was left to ruin, and the memory of it gradually degraded, until people just started calling then place Hroldan

Yes brother....We will need lots of volunteers....

I VOLUNTEER FOR THE DUNMER PORTION OF THE PROGRAM

So speaking as a male orsimer, anyone want to do this ?

I say we commission research on the subject from Ungulatr

I married her in-game and discovered this to my horror when I handed her a powerful circlet.

I presume we couple with her hood on, as is my perogative as archmage.

Is there a console command to force her to get a less disgusting haircut?

Something something lore Kirkbride

Thoughts?

either gibberish or stupid

Slightly in relation to this. I find it really interesting how TES manifests itself extremely differently to everyone. I don't think that many game series manage to do that. Really speaks volumes about the depth of the world.

Like, to me, Kirkbride and Kuhlmann, and their general view of the world and lore and worldbuilding is really the pinpoint. Just go back to their pitch for a pirate game set in Jupiter where bone meal eating cannibalistic people ride air-whales. Shit's cool. And that turned out to morph into Morrowind. But it's that whole alien and obscure feel that makes the series for me. Then, to others, it's something completely different. This even going to such extremes as fanatical Lefaynists and their bland D&D vibed feel of TES. Anti-Everything-Post-Daggerfall. You know, some people really try to find reason and logic in the series. They apply real world concepts. To some it's mostly a world of crazy mythology. A gallery of strange metaphysics that people try to figure out by theorizing and connecting the dots. Wonderful shit.

kirkbride needs grounding, or it just turns to absolute gibberish.

Morrowind is what happens when people take Kirkbride's ideas with a healthy grain of salt. An alien world that isn't alien just to be pointlessly bizarre.

The Oblivion Crisis

hey that was so long ago who cares about that huh

let bygones be bygones

The 36 Lessons are pure, unadulterated MK. Morrowind works because the design philosophies of each developer are tempered by the rest, but it's not a one way street. You might as well be saying the same of everyone who worked on it, "oh, x dev needs y aspect, or it becomes z."

>Kurt needs metaphysics in addition to his work, or it becomes bland

See: Skyrim.

well, we were talking about Kirkbride, but I don't disagree with that assessment.

Solstheim is proof that, if Bethesda wants to, they can put some interesting metaphysics stuff in their newer games, but they're probably afraid of scaring away more casual players.

The thing about Skyrim is that even though it's the first TES game since Redguard to not directly credit MK (even though I think he was hired during the development of Daggerfall and might have done minor spritework on it?), it's still operating mostly on his previous work and ideas. Plot elements such as the Great War, the Thalmor, the Aldmeri Dominion and the White-Gold Concordat, then concepts like the Thu'um, the Greybeards, High Hrothgar, Talos, Alduin and Sovngarde, even little things like swirls being painted onto cows are all MK. And that's not even counting the guy who directly quotes the Many Headed Talos.

That's mostly tangential, though.

Oh, and the Red Year. That was also MK.

Many Headed Talos is the Breton+Underking+Colovian thing?

It's an allusion to it, yes. The MHT is the text about how Talos used his Thu'um to change the climate of Cyrodiil. You might be referring to the Arcturian Heresy, though, a book (by MK) which first appears in Morrowind and which is the source of the hypostatic Talos concept. This can also be seen in the sermons, where Vivec describes Talos as "the two-headed king, because he contained multitudes."

I've done a bit more work on the map but not much due to work.
The various gray colours on the borders of Cyrodiil represent isolated Nedic languages. The yellow in High Rock represents the language of the local Mer while the yellow in Cyrodiil and Valenwood shows speakers of the Ayleid dialects. All of these will be added elsewhere too. I've also started working on the Imga (brown parts in Valenwood).

Why would an avatar of Lorkhan be blessed by Akatosh?

I thought their mutual hatred was the baseline for every conflict in Nirn since Convention.

How does being good at business and politics convince a snooty Breton to marry and boink a bestial orc?

According to orthodox Aldmeri belief structures, yes. But that's just one of many perspectives.

Think about why Akatosh is.

are you saying that Auri-el wouldn't bless dragonborns?

Auri-el ain't Akatosh.

Akatosh =\= Auriel (to some extent)