Board Game General /bgg/

Board Game General /bgg/

Previous thread:

Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

The floor that stored your games is destroyed in a fire. What is the first game you buy before you hit the liquor?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures
wwe.com/superstars/donald-trump
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

TRUMP: The Game

Floor? Not really sure what that means. Like my apartment floor? If the rest of my shit burned up, then I sure as shit arent spending some of the few precious shekels I have left on cardboard.

It would be too painful to get back into the hobby. Ive put countless hours into designing and creating elaborate foam core inserts, on top of various other ways of pimping out my games. I dont know if I could bring myself to make them again

Just thinking about it is triggering me

>The floor that stored your games is destroyed in a fire. What is the first game you buy before you hit the liquor?
Right now, Millennium Blades. There's a fresh wave of it hitting stores now and I would hate to wait for another reprint of it. Also it's a game I still have yet to get a good amount of play time out of but could see myself playing a lot more. Second, Baseball Highlights just because I play it so much. Never coming back: Krosmaster Arena. I don't regret it, but I'm never seeking out all those figures again now that I own everything I want in terms of characters from the show.

>few precious shekels I have left
user you need to spend those shekels on renters insurance, like NOW, if you don't have it

How is the competitive scene for GoT card game? As big as Netrunner at least?

Pretty small compared to netrunner in my neck of the woods, no functional meta in idaho or utah, whatever that's worth.

kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures

Back it mates!

Does that x wing minis core box come with enough for 2 players to play a game?

CATAN

How much does that cost usually

Kind of.
There's enough for a balanced game between two players in there, but not enough for two (or even one) player to play in a tournament. Each side in the core set gets ~30-something points of ship and upgrades, and a tournament asks for a list of (or close to) 100 points.

Not that user, but it's enough for a taste of a game. Two core sets will give you closer to a real fight. Two core sets, and 3-4 expansions and you've got 100pt games with the ability to list build a bit.

Been a while since I've rented but not much, I think we had like $30,000 coverage for under $300 a year. Since they know they're just covering possessions it's not like homeowners where they'll charge a lot to protect themselves, the building owner is going to have the expensive insurance.

I go on eBay and get a First Printing version of Splendor again. It's the most precious game to me, it was my first and me and my bf love it. But most importantly, I need to get another First Printing before the only versions that still exist in the world are the ones with... shudder... lighter poker chips.

>The floor that stored your games is destroyed in a fire

Who in the world stores his games on the floor? You park your car in rough neighborhoods at night to? Place your new computer dangling form the rooftop in a rubber string perhaps?

I mean, its an investment. A game taken good care for will last you a lifetime! You know when you where a kid and had an awesome game, that somehow got destroyed/missed a few pieces? Its because you had stupid ass parents that didn't think much of board games, and thus let you play with it. As an adult, don't make the same mistake yourself.

Sell me on it

OP didn't mean the literal floor you dummy

Dang, I was hoping that wasn't the case
Looks like a fun light-ish tabletop wargame tho so I might take the plunge since all my friends love star wars and I like wargames

So I got a question a out small world rules
When you're gonna go into decline do you either, A: count up your victory points and go into decline, while doing nothing else that turn. Or B: do a turn as normal and declare that you're going into decline then

Nah, it's a shallow game as just the core. I have more than the core and keep it on the shelf just kinda as a reminder to people.

Pictured: Buyers Remorse

It's pretty good.

I still think it's really solid as a game to play casually, grabbing a core set and a couple of the iconic ships or personal favorites makes for a great little filler if you just want to run a deathmatch with a smaller point value each.

Damn sounds nice! Backed

whaaaaat

>League of Legends
>Halo
>that weeby shit on the top left

I knew I wasn't going to like it the second I read le epic reddit maymays in the instruction manual.

Halo Wars Risk was something my parents gave me and I've had no real reason to throw out. They knew i played risk with my friends in the past and wanted to give me my own board but something slightly different. Haven't honestly played halo since 2, but I appreciate the thought. Similarly, haven't played League in over 3 years, but Mechs vs Minions is fun. I won't deny the French weeb stuff in the corner though. My friends and I like Wakfu and Dofus and it's a good game. Not the best but the flavor of the characters are there.

Shill detected. You do realize its hard to samefag nowadays right? Your game looks interesting but I already own coup.

Jokes on you, I keep my games in the trunk of my car like some sort of crack dealer.

I liked it, but if I'd known Academy and its more streamlined rules would be out just 6 months after I went all-in on Arena, I would have waited.

Is there any way to house rule monopoly to make it better

>Weeby shit
It's French.

Yes. Roll a die at the start of the game, highest roll wins the game.

Your car must have a fucking big trunk

[blogposty rant]I'm on the verge of quitting boardgames altogether. I've spent around $4000 building a collection over the last 2 1/2 years, and I rarely get to play anything. Local game groups are fucking closed cabals that accept no newcomers, my own friends would rather get drunk when we meet and I'm beginning to sound like a fucking crack whore on withdrawal, always begging to get a game on the table. The only bro who was always down for gaming moved outta town, and I'm getting tired of keeping up with news and releases and I'm barely feeling any return on the investment. Fuck cardboard crack, might as well get hooked on actual crack[/blogposty rant]

why don't you try to find new people to play with?

>hey kids, you want some board games?

I admit it's bleeding into the backseat. Most of the games I don't give a shit about are stashed somewhere else, though.

I finally did it Veeky Forums, I shilled for Asmodee and got the new printing of Citadels with everything in it.

Redpill me.

You know, all kidding aside I wish I had bought Trump: The Game back when it was out, I bet it's worth something to collectors now.

Like all negotiation games, it's going to be piss garbage if you don't have people who wheel and deal (and you enjoy doing so). No house rules are necessary, but if your group isn't selling insurance, forming revenue sharing partnerships, and purchasing properties from people before they've even been landed on then you should look for a different game.

Prices went from $1 in goodwill to $100 on ebay if forums are to be believed.

You just wasted your money.

>current POTUS had a board game, appeared in a McDonald's commercial and starred in a reality TV show

America

All those deals you just mentioned are house rules. You are not allowed to trade anything but flat money or properties. Play Chinatown if you want to make deals like that.

He also wrestled and appeared in a bunch of movies

not just that, he's in the wwe hall of fame
wwe.com/superstars/donald-trump

I like Smash up alright.

Here's mine.

They're not even bad games. Just meh as fuck and I still bought a fuckton of expansions for both.

Pretty much my experience. Someone told me that it's like a M:TG lite (my roommates are into M:TG but I'm not) and I thought the concept of mixing two decks together was pretty cool, so I was pretty exited to buy it.

The second I started reading through the instruction book I knew I was going to have a bad time.

What Veeky Forums's opinion about Doom game from FFG, is it good?

Dark Souls, The Other Side, Kingdom Death...

Now I just saw that you can still late pledge for Mythic Battle: Pantheon too.

Can I still also pledge for the addons too or just the base game + stretch goals?

Hard to say... There's Forbidden Stars, a game I absolutely adore but can't get plays out of, Ashes ditto, Forbidden Desert is enjoyabvle in any situation but I like Terra Mystica most of them all...
I'd have to go with Abyss as a compromise between being good enough and getting enough plays out of it in the future

>You are not allowed to trade anything but flat money or properties.

This is only true according to unofficial tournament rules, and not even all tournament rules agree.

It is perfectly legal to refuse to accept rent (you simply don't ask for it; the rules mention what happens in this case). From this it should be obvious that you can sell free passes to your property.

It is perfectly legal to form partnerships. One player must own the properties in name, but you can easily agree to give half the rents to an opponent.

It is perfectly legal to "buy" property no one has landed on. You give someone money now, and they agree to trade it with you if and when they acquire it.

The only thing you could possibly argue is whether or not a player is allowed to betray these deals.

In other words, I trust tournament players over random anons on the internet.

Smash Up is incredibly boring as anything else than a duel, and evne then the novelty wears off quickly.
I second buyer's remorse for Descent Second Edition. Mostly becuse I cna't find players to run a campaign with.

You CAN trade money for nothing and say it's insurance, but nothing holds you to that. You also can play Trump and refuse any deal you make with no mechanical repercussions. Chinatown does all that with proper mechanics to support it and no roll and move.

Then don't say it's a house rule when the rules support it. I'm not arguing at all to the quality of the game, so I don't know why you bother mentioning Chinatown.

As someone trying to get a Super Dungeon Explore campaign off the ground, I know that fucking feeling.

It's house rules to say any of that is a mechanic. You're making up bullshit and just agreeing to roll with it.

>THE DONALD
WHY ISN'T IT CALLED "THE TRUMP CARD"?
WHY?

>hall of lame
ftfy

A little lighter than I think is ideal, they took away too many of the good ideas they had in Imperial Assault and XWing. But I think it's still pretty solid. Faster than most dungeoncrawlers.

goback2/ssc/

>the US and Russia now both have had leaders who appeared in pizza hut commercials

Above and below was so good, too.

Probably Betrayal: Widow's Walk if I bought it

reposting from end of last thread

What's your favorite non-race car themed racing game? I'm looking to get one and could use recommendations

Ave Caesar interests me the most, but I just can't justify its price.

I think Expedition Northwest Passage might be next on my list thanks to the tile laying and the fantastic art, but I've seen some negative things about it. They've not been super articulate in what they don't like, but it still gives me pause

Jamaica is fairly well liked, but it seems like it might be a tad too light I guess. I go back and forth on this one a lot

as much as I like the look and mechanics of Lewis and Clark, it might just have a bit too much going on for my group. definitely intrigued by it though

Snow Tails seems like another option that I just need to look into more

I see that Snowblind is available now, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on that. I watched rahdo's video about it last year and it did seem interesting, so I might just have to look into it more as well

The best way to play this game is when people are hyped about it... and then you just choose random roles. Shuffle the cards ostensibly pick one at random not seeing it and see how people's souls get sucked when they start to understand what you did.

How's Boss Monster? Should I get Boss Monster 1 or 2, if I'm only able to get one?
And how important is the Tools of Hero Kind expansion to each version of the game?

They're alright, pretty light and sort of luck dependant, geared more for aesthetics than depth of play. Boss Monster 2 is better

I'm thinking about getting Jamaica since my group numbers are usually around 4 or 6 and it seems like a simple enough game to teach

Ave Caesar is really nice but I wouldn't buy it unless I could get it cheap. Snow Tails is good, so is Gravwell though it doesn't quite feel like a race. Ditto Jamaica, it feels more like piratey goonishness less than a race when I play. I like Hare & Tortoise more than Winner's Circle or Camel Up if we're going betting on the race, but that's because I play with more casual gamers. If you really pushed me for favorite race.... maybe Odin's Ravens? New edition is absolutely gorgeous and really fun to play against the wife.

It's fine, both editions are close to each other (2 a hair better) in terms of balance so whichever one you can get on the cheap prolly. The expansions are nice but not necessary; like the playmats it's really just there for people who are all in on the game. Kinda a new/dethroning of Munchkin, which I'm ok with since the game takes a fraction of the time, but if you're really getting deep into gaming you'll likely outgrow it at some point.

All of that makes the game awful. Money is the timer of the game and by agreeing to deals like that, you're agreeing to not move money and also very likely agreeing to arbitrary king making. The only way a game like that will end is as the other post said, agreeing that nothing binds you to those deals at a certain point and pissing all over the idea of deal making in the first place.

Crap. Don't waste your money on either one.

Camel up is a lot of fun, even if its a game about betting on racing more than it is a racing game per-se.

stop shilling

I'm thinking of doing that too but the new (((((art))))) is abysmal.

That being said, how does Citadels work as 2-4 player game? I mean is it shit?

>Pictured: Buyers Remorse

Pic related - my 'worst impulse buy evar!'

>zombies

You should have known better.

>I keep my games in the trunk of my car like some sort of crack dealer.

MFW the car is stolen and the contents of the trunk are worth more than the car...

I've got the older (non-craptacular art) version and it's just fine at 3 - 7 players. Obviously the more players the more interesting it gets, but it's still got at 3 or 4.

No, I should have demo'd the game and realized how badly the rules were edited (complete sentences missing, etc) and said "Nope".

Eh, I actually got it because of the new art desu. I'll always be nostalgic for the old, painted style, but I felt the Tarot style of the character cards and the (((digital art))) building cards, together with the new pieces, gave it a level of polish that I'd want to put on my table. I totally understand ragging on the new (((art))) though, getting past it was one of my biggest obstacles in making this purchase.

I'm actually getting it because I need something for a 5-7 player count, everything else I have is for 4 players.

Odds are good your group will enjoy it if they're even the least bit strategic and sneaky. Nothing like assassinating ''The Bishop" only to realize you offed the wrong player that round. ;)

Fuck don't remind me, I used to play with this super annoying playgroup and one time I got into a Warlord/Assassin war with another idiot where we wouldn't stop destroying each other's buildings and/or killing each other.

Am I the only one that was really dissapointed in above and below? Yeah the arts great, and the story telling is a lot of fun, but the game mechanics itself just feel like a really boring middle weight euro. I don't think the story telling mechanic mixed well with the ruro mechanics at all.

Also I HATE games that take up a ton of table space, especially when I feel like Im not playing a heavy game.

What even comes with widows walk? Is it just the new haunts or did they add more tiles?

New book of haunts and tiles. I hear the tiles are a pain in the ass because it adds another floor which makes the house needlessly complicated.

Eww, house on the hill already had that problem where failing the omen roll without having a handful of tiles on each floor made the game bullshit.

Avoid islebound then. it doesn't have the storytelling, the game play is less in depth and less balanced, and it takes up just as much space.

How is Hero Realms and Clank! ?
I'm thinking about just getting one. HR seems a very nice and compact game but I really like the theme of Clank! a lot more. Which one is best suited for 2 players and 4 players?

how deep is neuroshima hex 3 point o

It's like an onion

Beautiful components. Really fast paced and fun.

I think it's a flash in the pan. Sadly won't last long. Hopefully i'm wrong but I'm feeling some buyers remorse I don't expect this'll get played very often.

Both a pro and a con it doesn't have much room for expansions.

>beautiful components

really?

and as far as I understand they could release unlimited number of "armies" as expansions

as an addendum. I kind of wish it was more stylised for the original 2 games. I think that would make it a little more timeless.

The only expansion i can see being worth picking up for this (I wouldn't be too keen on a Hellknight Spider/Mastermind set) would be a sort of ironic orignal game set with original boards and plastic 2d Imps and Demons.

I'd get a kick out of that.

The miniatures are great. The cards are as good as anything FF puts.

I pretty much got it because Doom was a self contained game in itself and I wasn't risking opening a portal to bankruptcy like Imperial Assault could be.

Certainly they can put out lots of new boards but all the main demons are already in the box.

I guess a Doom guy figure is all but inevitable.

sorry i mixed your post with my neuroshima question

my first board game purchase after getting back into the hobby (technically I traded MTG cards for it, but still) and boy was I immediately disappointed in how shitty the rulebook was, I still keep it around as a reminder to vet everything as much as possible

thank fuck I played someone else's copy of Smash Up and decided it was boring shit that wasn't justifying the meme theme in the slightest

how is An Infamous Traffic? I'm super curious about hearing more about it