/exg/ - Exalted General

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition

>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>3E Backer Core (Old)
mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1045325-exalted-freelance-submission-guidelines
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Been a while since we had /exg/, or of there's been one lately, I've missed it. Anyways, I had an actual question I started the thread for. What do you guys think counts as 'competent' for a young Exalt? I mean in the setting, not among PCs. Like, would a young DB with 3s and appropriate specialties in the Abilities directly related to his chosen career be a disappointment or a promising youngster? What would count as a noteworthy prodigy against the Exalted?

Are there other streams than ExalTwitch?
It's p. great, just curious.

What is your Limit Trigger?

Not being in an Exalted game. It really (Limit) triggers me.

I actually had a game for a while, but he ST got burned out after a few sessions. He has real life obligations, he isn't all that familiar with Exalted and had to learn the system as he went, and isn't as into Exalted as me in the first place, so I can't really fault him. It's still somewhat extremely disappointing, though.

reminder that morke and holden are liars

There aren't a lot of damaging spells in the E3 core book, but most of the ones that are there are Decisive only attacks. How is someone who is primarily a sorcerer supposed to gain initiative? Do you also have to buy into archery or thrown? Are you supposed to make up your own Withering spells?

Sorcery isn't supposed to be a self-sufficient combat thing, it has some neat tricks, and shit like Death Ray can go without much Initiative invested, but in general "combat mage" isn't something Sorcery is supposed to do.

Sorcery can be useful in combat, but it isn't enough to make you an effective (by the standards of the Exalted) combatant. If you want to kick ass, invest in a combat Ability.

Exalted's dead huh?

I'd like to say "no", but fuck, I don't even remember how long it's been since there's been any reported progress beyond the printing of physical Ex3 core books.

I don't think there hasn't?
Honestly the time between leak and release was the best time, maybe.
Yeah, rip.

I don't actually doubt whether we'll actually get more books - I'm sure Arms of the Chosen and the DB book, at least, will be published - but the devs are spectacularly bad at keeping up interest. I mean, who the fuck thinks it's acceptable to just fall silent once the core is out? Apparently Holden and Morke have or had some personal shit to take care of, but ceasing communication with the fans is just incompetent.

They've stopped completely?
I thought there's at least some comms over on the forums?

If they've said something, I honestly can't remember it. Vance has still posted on the forums, but I don't think Holden or Morke have maid any effort to either inform fans about ongoing developments or to create hype for the future products for ages.

I'd say a dicepool of less than 5 for their chosen field would be disappointing, 6 would be praiseworthy, and 7+ would be the pride of the family.

Do you include specialties in that? Cause they're important, especially for db

I've been waiting for a campaign to start ever since 3e released. My ST is still "writing the story" and I made my character in May last year...

It's not starting is it?

Watching innocents suffer. I'm amazed it hasn't happened; all those innocents just seem to keep suffering right off scene.

"When my naive worldview gets me into trouble."

I was playing a shounen protagonist who was convinced he could friendship speech everyone while being only slightly smarter than a sack of rocks

Can anyone tell me how the grappling tag works on Melee weapons? As far as I can tell, you simply sub in Melee instead of Brawl/MA when making the initial gambit, but you still need Brawl/MA when making the control roll. Is there any point in the grappling tag then, because you could've just not put points in Melee in the first place?

What the fug does the eye of auto even do?

nishkira has a few posts over a while for them, others talk more.
Lucy's doing her best to defend this and it sounds like there is some vaguely bad shit going on. I content myself with focusing on other things and holding out hope that some day in the future whatever is happening gets over and books come out at a regular pace again.

How many backers have died in the three years and eight months since the Kickstarter ended?

I don't think it ever got stats, but in 2E it was an NA rating artifact that acted as a catalyst for both sorcery and the Wyld Shaping Technique. You could massively remodel landscapes, set new laws of physics to govern those regions, create extremely persistent enchantments, and could populate those landscapes with organisms. If you had high enough Occult and Lore scores you could probably use it to augment any attempt at magically creating or transmuting something. And in 1E the Eye could do all of that and was also canonically a deva of Autochthon. I'm not sure which circle.

Hey, does anybody have that big old fanmade bestiary that was posted a while back on hand? Thanks in advance.

Just pulled some information from the United States Census Bureau and answered my own question. Operating under the assumption that the strong majority of backers were between the ages of fifteen and fifty years old:

213,268 Americans between the ages of fifteen and fifty died in 2013
Approximately 185.0 Americans were between fifteen and fifty years old in 2013
(213268 deaths) / (185.0 X 10^6 Americans) = .001137 deaths per American in 2013

Operating under the assumption that the death rate for Americans between the ages of fifteen and fifty years old has stayed relatively stable over the last three years and eight months, and operating under the assumption that Americans either are a strong majority of the backers or that the backer population has relatively similar death statistics as compared to Americans:

(4368 backers) X (.001137 deaths per year) X (3.667 years) = 18.21 dead backers
>tl;dr approximately eighteen backers have died since the Kickstarter project ended

I'm a new guy so, in some way, I don't understand your feelings. I don't understand why people are so affected by lack of published Exalted books in recent years.

There are 36 books for 1st edition
There are 33 books for 2nd edition (+ 17 more that were published only in digital format)

They will mostly just republish the old fluff with few tweaks. And that doesn't mean tweaks will be good.

We mostly want the other splats and further mechanics then actual lore. They expanded the map a bit with some nice hooks but they also don't want to give too much so the storyteller can decide how things work. So we may get some more settings books but nothing in comparison to last editions. But with the new system how do Lunars work? Will we finally get playable Sidereals? What about Exigents? I mean unlike previous editions this system is workable so I would like some splats that work with it.

>system is workable

is it still bucket of dice?

Yes. That won't change.

You know, an odd question.

With regard to forging soulsteel: Each time you forge soulsteel, you forge the higher soul, right? Doesn't that mean you're basically wiping out every possible future incarnation that guy could have?

Like, lower souls are renewable but there's a finite number of higher souls, the part that goes on to be recycled and reincarnated. Doesn't that mean that - given time - soulforging people is the most evil thing you could possibly do?

If you take a single dude and soulforge him, he'll never reincarnate. In the long run, you've literally killed millions upon millions of people just from that one act.

And shouldn't change. People who like those bukcets of dice exist and are obviously the target audience.

is it just "watching" or does that include knowing for certain that there are a dozen innocent suffering there and you're doing nothing?

17 actually

in autobot-land.
new souls are born in creation tho

Eh Exalted isn't that bad.
Doesn't Shadowrun need more buckets?

This one?

Is there any reason to switch to 3rd ed at all?

2.5e combat is broken

We all know previous editions were broken. What makes 3rd edition not broken?

What are some infernal charmsets? I cant find any.

it plays different and has a more intuitive flow to combat as opposed to having three things to be checking per character per turn.

also you can have new players just emulate and play Dissidia: Final Fantasy on PSP for them to instantly understand the initiative/health system they aped from that game, rather than having to explain it all pro bono

Yep, thanks you! Have this Zenith as a token of my gratitude.

What do you mean? There are obviously Infernal Charms in the 2E Infernals book. Where you looking for something aside from that?

What custom artifacts have been written up?

If you can manage to have 7 dice before magic, I'd say you're average to above above average in that field. For a promising youngster I'd say have 6 dice or so in whatever you want him to be promising in.

"Seeing innocents suffering and being unable or unwilling to help them." This is doubly enforced when it comes to children and the like, as he was recruited in the Guild as a street urchin to be trained as an assassin (or he believes that, anyway).

In a development fashion? No word from on high, but Onyx Path just started (Monday) actively screening submissions for freelance writers and artists (OPP forums has the topic stickied: forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1045325-exalted-freelance-submission-guidelines

In a community fashion? It's kind of dead here, as /exg/ really only hits 150 posts once in a while (and over the course of several days with bumping), but on forums I've visited it's been fairly active in a homebrew sense.

Pretty sure most people just have the ones for their own Circle/Exalt. I've got a write up for my own, but it only has 3 evocations out of the 5 I plan for it.

>submisisons
To elaborate, OPP has their submission link up near constantly, but they just actively started screening for Exalted. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

>I'd say a dicepool of less than 5 for their chosen field would be disappointing, 6 would be praiseworthy, and 7+ would be the pride of the family.
>If you can manage to have 7 dice before magic, I'd say you're average to above above average in that field. For a promising youngster I'd say have 6 dice or so in whatever you want him

Alright, that sounds reasonable.

Any recommended homebrew conversions of older stuff to 3e?

Also, thinking Links Born of Tumult would make for a good working, any thoughts on how you'd do it in 3e?