How Does a Space Marine Fit

...in a Terminator? Because this just doesn't seem like it would work without some major reconstructive surgery. The thing is just too fat and too slouched to -not- give a space marine some awful back pain. If anything it should reduce height, not increase it.

Terminator suits are bigger than space marines

... Do you always assume someone is slouching when things come up behind their heads?

I don't think it's impossible, just a badly drawn example.
It works if you imagine him slightly hunched, like an Ork is. Also bear in mind that they have *massive* pauldrons and the actual arm/shoulder is much lower in the armour.
Finally, remember that most of the 'nose' is going to be sensors and that the skull would be much further back.

Because the other option is that they have an inhumanly squat torso. Either they're hunched or they have a torso smaller than most humans their size.

That doesn't work though because we know terminators can have their arms hang at their sides. That red lining wouldn't be capable of doing that. They need MMO level shoulders in order to move their arms.

It's Warhammer 40k realism and logic gave up the ghost long ago.

It helps to think of GW models as being vague symbolic representations rather than being literal images of what they would 'really' look like.

There is a lot of stuff in 40k that doesn't attempt to make sense, power and terminator armor are not two of them.

Because retards think the arm goes into the middle of the shoulder pad, when in art and on the models it's at the very bottom of it and the huge pads are just armour and servo-mechanisms. Notice how even your image ignores the quite clearly visible armpit at the bottom of the pad and just places the Marine's shoulder in the middle of the pad.

Only thing that doesn't fit is a normal brain into the thick skulls of people who want to make something out of nothing.

>most humans their size.

They're eight-foot genetic super-freaks who spit acid and fart purity.
They're also proportioned for 28mm "Heroic" scale, which is has deliberately odd proportions so the cool swords will pop out at you more when looking at a one inch tall figure from several feet away.

Better question is how do non-astartes fit in terminator armor?
There are some examples made for semi-normal humans after all iirc.

I'm pretty sure Termi armour is adapted from armour used to go in nuclear reactors in the DAoT, or something like that. Maybe that was fanfiction, I don't remember for sure. But if it's canon then it should be pretty easy to make it fit regular humans again, albeit probably with less range of movement and such.

it's not even that badly drawn, he just doesn't understand anatomy so he's redlined it wrong

the shouldon'ts he's got there are too high up because he's ignoring their actual depiction on the model, probably because he assumes that the seal-thickness is the same all around the shoulder (there's no reason it should be, since most impacts will be coming from above the pauldron/head anyway, and it would be hugely impractical unless Terminators were supposed to go around with their arms forcibly splayed out, which would make it impossible, for example, for their hands to meet)

in fact the shoulders are apparently composed of layered pauldrons within pauldrons within pauldrons, BWAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM which is a pretty solid engineering solution both in case of the need to replace parts (as you're replacing a smaller machined part) and in terms of conductivity of heat and other things, but those layers are still sitting over a joint that's more or less what you'd see on the back of the knee or at the hip - it's tough stuff, but it's probably the weakest point of the armor overall

admittedly he's probably a short-necked musclebastard with fingers thicker than your daddy's dick, but that's not impossible - the increase of the trapezius related to back strength probably takes out most of the "lack" of neck, while his curious giant fingers and toes probably indicate a particular fucking of the thyroid during adolescence that the Emperor determined to be useful, or at least not detrimental to the rest of the project

WHEN ARE THEY GONNA SEND THE ROCK INTO SPACE

If you're in a position to wear terminator armour as a non-marine, you're in a position to get a Magos to customise it for you, or you'll have your own armourer do it.

Just some of the many, many perks of being an inquisitor.

No, space marines are seven feet tall, not eight.

It's likely just scaled down, as power armor and bolt weapons can be.

Meant for

that salamander astartes is looking into my soul and I dont like it

But again, that still gives them retarded proportions as their shoulder and torso needs to run up directly against that.

that was canon for years, probably still is

they wear lifts

presumably it's possible to adapt the internal cradle/sleeve/bodysuit of the armor with relative ease, since even among Space Marines there won't be two identically sized bodies, and if you want to promote according to ability... you'd need to have adaptable suits, or just put up with guys covered in pressure sores complaining about trapped nerves/blood vessels constantly

Yes, but how to you fit in it? Is it more like a mech where you sit in it? Do you bother having your arms sticking out as if they fit in the suit's arms or do you exist only in the head and torso?

Pick up a model and its clear someone could fit in there fine

no, this is artwork.
And for the tabletop space marines are actually the only factions on a much smaller scale than all others. Space marines models are 90kg and 1.8m at BEST.
Some unarmored guardsman actually tower space marines on the tabletop

>that was canon for years, probably still is

I remember reading this in a codex, but I'm pretty sure it was just an in-universe hypothesis, something like "terminator armour can even survive inside a starship's reactor core, and some believe this may have been its original purpose".

One of the reasons why Spess Marines fit into their armor is the Gene Seed. Through the various, specialized organs that have been implanted into them, their body makes tremendous adjustments to their physique in response to the demands of their armor. This is why Guardsmen don't spontaneously don Astartes armor.

Similarly to how Samus fits into her hip-pulverizing armor in the Metroid Series, except in her case it's Chozo DNA, rather than Gene Seed.

>tl;dr it's fiat to explain 90s action hero proportions

So just how fucking stupid do you have to be to not grasp that 40k isn't going for realistic proportions?

Marines are big, but they're not totally inhuman sized - it might be a bit awkward, you walking around with your arms up (upper arms in the pauldrons) and having your suit's hands controlled remotely, but if you're in terminator armour that'll be the least of your worries

And, as said before, as an inquisitor, it'll be made for you - narrower across the chest, for example

Now all I'm thinking of is HEV terminator suits in orange and black with lambda heraldry.

I think FW said that Cataphractii armour was 100% for sure built for reactor maintenance and space walks.

FUND IT

But they look like normal humans and are roughly the size of tall humans.

Have none of you seen the Starcraft 2 trailer where the marine's gloves are actually controlled by a little remote thing in the wrist? I always figured it was like that, you're all assuming that it's an exact fit

You're wrong then. Unless they lost their arms, all hands you see on marines are their actual hands.

Satisfied?

That's not the miniatures or GW art proportions however. It's much slimmer and taller.

Anyone got that cutaway art of the naked marine right next to the marine in power armor from the 6E dex?

From my 40k space marine folder.

How does a Roboutte Guilliman fit in his armor? Stilted legs?

I like how they made it a profile shot because that allows them to avoid the biggest proportion issues, like the crotch area and armpits.

Does it say that anywhere?

Maybe for power fists

I don't know, the fact that when marines get their hands cut off they lose their hands? That the pictures of marines shows them putting on gauntlets?

Look at those cables above the knee- The suits a life support system. Guess you could call him...

Robot Guilliman.

We should also keep in mind they could be using mechanical prosthetic's as a way to explain any of the odd proportions.

*clears throat

Normal human should be slightly taller at 6 foot average. Eldar should be slightly taller at 7 foot average. Space Marine should be half a foot shorter at 7.5 foot average. Tau should be taller at at least 5-5.5 foot average. Orks vary greatly in size and some are larger than the Space Marine would be. I don't know how big a Necron Warrior is supposed to be. This chart is all sorts of wrong.

Eldar gains.

>humans averaging 6 foot
>in the grimdark future of poor nutrition
If anything, that Guardsman is about three inches too tall. Considering the level of access which the vast majority of lower class human citizens have to food - thin gruel, nutrient pastes, flour made from bones - I doubt there's much overlap between the well fed and the army recruits.

I mean really he has same proportions, they should have altered his body.

>nutrient pastes
>poor nutrition
k

Now do one where he's banging a chick he snuck into his armor.

Canon height for marines in armor is at 7'-7'6"

user, terminator armor is basically armor over armor, their torso, arms and legs aren't supposed to occupy all that space, thats the entire point, its ARMOR AS THICK AS A TANK PLATING. take a look at i can't repost the image

cosplay to the rescue!

This time - with helmet

FFS.

40K is heroic scale. Not true scale. It isn't supposed to be proportional!

without armour yes

but when are you going to be facing a marine without armour? their armour adds height.

Also not all marines are the same, some are taller and shorter than average, just like you can have a man that 5'8" and a man thats 6'8", you can have a marine thats 7' or 8'2"

Pic related is how I've always interpreted it. You just have to be willing to allow for false hands and shoulders, ala the starcraft 2 armouring cinematic.

Honestly, treating the hands of the power armor like some kind of mechanized glove would be outrageously stupid, but science in 40k is outrageously stupid, so we must accept they put their hands in ridiculous mechanized gloves that would probably pulverize their fingers with the slightest twitch.

Nah, canon height for marines in their armor is 7'. No mention of how much their armor adds to their height, but it's probably 3 or 4 inches, so a Marine without armor is probably 6'8" or 6'9".

There's also mention that because they all share similar genes due to the effects of their geneseed, Space Marines don't tend to vary too heavily in height or bulk, though there are a lot of notable exceptions.

Source: Deathwatch Core Rules, Black Crusade Core Rules

Height added by the armour, measured to top of bare head, only really depends on how much metal is under the foot.
In the first image, only about two or three inches would be added by the armour, while in the second the armour could account for an entire foot or more height.

Power Fists are already mechanized glove.

>mfw space marines hands pull a switch that moves their power armored hand which pulls a switch that moves their power fist hand

No wonder they kept naming their chapters X Hands and X Fists.

mirin those lats

Except for fuck's sake, THEY'RE GLOVES.

I've made and worn cardboard armour vest for a convention and yes the lower lip of the arm holes does irritate that part of the flesh (I was wearing a shirt), but it wasn't bothering the armpit itself.
and you seem to forget that if you put something in between the torso, it would bisect (to a degree) the shoulder (the piece of the body that goes between and connects the torso and arm

why did you highlight such a thin abdomen? their abdomen is wider than that for the Abs and hips and stability.

pic

but that's retarded

rule of cool user. the whole 40k universe is retarded if you analyze it logically

Yeah, but he can't fit all his skin in. He's too fat.

The height added by the armor would include the top of the helmet as well. The soles of the boots are probably an inch thick, maybe more, and the top of the helmet might be two inches if you account for padding and armor.

that position looks incredibly uncomfortable

the armor is fucking powered. Do you think space marines are PHYSICALLY moving their armor all the time?

Yes. Power armor acts as a second skin for marines, meshing completely with their body as if it was their own flesh. There's no parts on it that are automated or controlled remotely except a power fist. Their hands are their own, we know this fucking conclusively.

That's one fucked up looking dude.

Turbo manlet tau

Because GW art (and especially the miniatures, just compare marines to IG) are stylized, sometimes to retarded lengths as seen in with Pedro the wavy tube marine.

Properly drawn art shows marines as being taller and thinner.