Need math fag

Would this work Veeky Forums and if so how would the damage be calculated in the game,what creatures could this one shot, and what mathematical formulas could you use to prove it to a disbelieving DM,

Wait, so what's happening? Using a Gate linked to the bottom of the ocean as a weapon?

Exactly, the thinking is that the pressure created a water jet strong enough to punch a hole through the ogre

Water pressure at the bottom of the ocean is enough to reduce steel barrels to tin cans.

Not sure if that translates into water cutters.

What is the chance of failing a 2+ rerollabe

Depends on the system/setting. For instance, in 7th Sea a Portal Sorcerer who tosses a linked item to the bottom of a lake won't get a gusher of water when he opens a portal to reach for the item. Nor will he flood the paths if he opens a larger portal to walk to the item. The Porte Portals are specifically impermeable to local environmental conditions.

The pressure at the marianas trench is only 10,000 psi, which is about a fourth what's needed to cut steel with a pressure spray cutter - so we have to make a few assumptions about the hobgoblin, like "it is 4 times weaker than steel" and that's overlooking the bigger problem that the spray isn't focused very well, and blasting a wide spray would have the effect not of cutting but of pushing.

So basically the best you could really hope for is that you do a lethal amount of bludgeoning damage, not slashing damage.

And isn't that a demon? So the magic would need to be enchanted or contain particulates of enchanted silver to really do any damage to the demon.

they say it's an ogre which doesn't need magic to defeat

Are ogres even goblinoids?

the marianas trench exerts only that much pressure? i thought i would be more considering how deep it is.

no but they do sometimes use them for minions

Well that's over a thousand times the pressure at sea level, so it's not nothing.

It's just in an awkward place between the 1,000 psi paper water cutters of the 19th century and 40,000-100,000 psi steel and plastic cutters of the 1950s.

Since fucking when do Goblins get fucking minions? other than kobolds or gremlins of course.

no i meant ogres sometimes use goblins for minions, my apologies for the confusion

A quick google search says at the bottom of the Challenger Deep the pressure is 15,750 psi or 1086 bar.

is that enough to cause any damage

It'll kill you dead if you were exposed to those pressures without protection. As to the OP's question, no idea.

Anything's enough to do some damage.

I'd probably have it do 10d10 damage, per DMG p.249 (assuming 5e).

You can damage someone with a firehose and those only go up to eight thousand or so PSI.

Sorry, 1200 PSI.

Average ocean depth is about 3688 meters. That's 37.170.000 N/m^2 or about 3,7 MN, says a random ocean depth pressure calculater I found.

That's the force gravity applies on the water. When the water is removed from the bottom of the ocean, it experiences 3,7 MN as the pressure on it is removed.

As modern physics cannot accurately model large teleporting objects, we'll just agree that the change takes place over 1 second, and we can determine just how much kinetic energy the teleporting water ends up with, as E = F*s. That leaves us with 3,7 MJ, about 3 times the kinetic energy of the shell fired by the assault guns of the ISU-152 tank. At least, that's what wikipedia says.

Speed is harder to determine, as we don't know the mass of water transported, so let's just give lower and upper boundaries. Assuming 1 kg of water, it's 8,6 km/s, while a 100 kg of water is 860 m/s. The force doesn't change because of the speed, but the reflex save probably does. 860 m/s is in the low range for high-power bullets.

Or I am completely wrong. I almost failed physics, just FYI.

There is no way to solve this problem exactly because you would need to mass of the ogre to solve the problem completely. Also depends on distance the water has to travel to hit the ogre. The further the water must travel, the slower it becomes because Newtonian physics and spread. Finally, you would need to know the volume per square inch(or some other cubic volume measurement) to determine how much water is hitting the ogre. If the water is being forced through the gate in a compact enough manner it can hit with the weight of several car crashes(no seat belt)

To expand, it takes only about a tenth of the force before casaulties approach 100%. Anybody getting hit by this is dead.

Things considered no reason for it not to be the deepest point is there? 10,994 meters, or seeing as this is a fantasy world possibly even more.

Thanks man i am totally going to use this information for when an ancient dragon comes a knockin

Well, barring magic shenanigans, of course.