/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread

Thread Question: What's your favorite character to play? Class, background, race, etc. Do you have a favorite type to play?

so I have a question, I'm going to be a DM for the first time, and asked each person to text me their class, I got 2 people going to be the same class, all 3 are spell casters, could this cause problems?
I'm thinking of just playing though the campaign and hoping one of them gets killed and roll a tankier person

Not necessarily. People being similar classes can make dangling plot lines easier.

For example once had a one-shot where people made their characters on their own. 3 of 4 of them were Rogues, and the last one was a DEX Fighter.

It made the game into a stealth and infiltration game and it was pretty fun.

>What's your favorite character to play? Class, background, race, etc. Do you have a favorite type to play?

I love playing hybrid characters.Paladins, Arcane Tricksters, Eldritch Knights, Warlocks. I've loved it ever since the Red Mage for Final Fantasy. So anything that lets me combine magical and martial power is awesome in my book.

Now for my problem:

So im writing up the Dark Elves/Drow of my campaign, and they worship three entities. Loth, Demon Queen of Spiders is the chief among the worshippers, but both Grazzt the Dark Prince, and Tharizdun the Black Sun, are worshipped. Grazzt is all about this primal desire with a thin mask of civility. Tharizdun is like this thing of darkness, entropy, and maddness.

Drow Nobles of the houses are uniquely gifted by the entity they chiefly worship. Drow Nobles of Loth are gifted a spider branded form of vampirism. They don't become mist, they become swarms of spiders. They transform into spiders, and command spiders. Those who fail becoming a vampire mutate into driders.

My question is, what kind of gifts could Grazzt and Tharizdun bestow to the noble houses that favour them?

What are the classes? Spellcasters vary wildly in their function and durability.

well I don't plan this to be a 1 shot, I have a whole campaign set out
2 wizards and a cleric

If you DM wisely, you can make the game logically difficult for your players without just slaughtering all of them. You might have to go easy at low levels and encourage summoning from at least one of the wizards, but I'm betting they'll figure that out on their own.

I sorta beat you to it, except for the spell point system.

I haven't gotten to the UA origins yet, though those seem to be taking a step in the right direction already by having cooler features that don't require sorcery points.

>Tharizdun
Just like last thread, Tharizdun is the chained god, the guy who fucking made the Abyss. He is nearly entirely mad so he wouldn't hand out boons the majority of the time, you'd just have to siphon from either his power or the power holding him. The time he'd hand out boons is when he's sane enough to plan an escape at which point he gives out exactly what is needed for the part that person is going to play, specially tailored. If he's handing out shit when he's mad, its just random mutations or psychic powers at the cost of your form or sanity.

Graa'zt would give out shit that makes people better at deception and hedonism. He also favors mariliths so multiple arms would be a definite.

Feel like making a gimmicky Fighter Knight.

>Knight with Noble Retainers
>However instead of being the Noble, they are the Retainer for an arrogant Noble who got bored and wanted to "adventure"- the "Retainers" are a Noble (Using Squire stats) and a servant with Ritual Caster so they can cast Leomund's Hut to keep the NPCs safe while his "loyal knight" and friends clears the dungeons (and the Noble takes credit)
>While the Noble is a poncy fuck and no good in a fight they know their way around political matters like a pro and can make dealing with court matters a lot easier for the party

>Knight himself is your expected "straight man" to the Noble's stupid rich idiot bit, though they'll grumble and not be happy about it they'll listen to orders (that aren't blatantly retarded anyways)

I feel like it might be too much work for my DM to have to play 2 extra NPCs though, however on the other end it gives the dM a free traveling questgiver/exposition machine for the setting/area.

I'd recommend that you take the Book of Lost Spells from Necromancer Games (in the mega file) for a few extra expanded spell list options. They're generally balanced from what I see.

Grazzt is classy. He's the only archhdemon who might actually show up if your noble house holds a nice party. He'll even behave himself. Or he'll appear to, except that several members of the serving staff will disappear never to be seen again and half the women will end up pregnant with cambions. Maybe also some of the men. Wealth, culture, magic items and cambions for everyone.

Tharizdun is barely conscious, just a pure force of destruction and hate for whom favor is an alien concept. His "blessings" are disasters: droughts, plagues, seams of toxic gas opening up, and worst of all, cave-ins. Calling on him might be the equivalent of a magical WMD.

Let them know about the idea beforehand and give them the chance to get in some input: if they'll be playing these guys it seems fair to let them toy with the idea a little too. Depending on your GM they might love the idea. However, they might also just throw it out immediately, which is why it's probably best for you to bring it up to them before you make your character (or just make sure you have another idea on deck if that one gets shot down)

as a DM though that sounds like a fun as hell character to play, although I might get caught up in giving them conversations with each other. I have a bad habit of that.

Makes things about solving problems. Make sure there are still monsters, and don't make the monsters any easier than you would otherwise. You cannot baby them. But, try and make it so that they can find clever solutions that allow them to punch above their pay grade. Talk to them a bit and let it be known that since they're playing straight casters that means they need to put on their robes and hat and really adopt the mantle of "The wise", true magus. Rushing in and just throwing dice won't do for a mage, you aren't some brainless fighter, if you do that you die. You gotta be smart and find ways to manipulate the situation to your advantage.

Let them do it, tell them they are playing on hard mode, and that if they want to make it then they gotta bring their A game.

The cleric should be able to hold the party together. Sometimes literally.

I won't be going too easy on them at any point if its too easy then its boring, I planned a decent campaign for a nicely diverse group, but since they didn't do that they'll be in a bit of a more difficult situation, and I don't want to make them do anything I want to do a very hands off DMing, I'll skew some things so they don't get wrecked but overall they are up to their own accord
But good to know that there it won't be a problem having 2 characters be the same class

Stone Sorcerer 1 / Lore Bard X
Is it any good?

You don't need to go easy on them. You just need to go easy relative to what you planned initially; the dubious party composition will make many encounters inherently more difficult.

Is that the thing where they took a whole bunch of spells from earlier editions and put them in 5e terms?

'Cause if it's what I'm thinking of, I was not impressed. And I'd prefer to stick to official sources as much as I can.

>the spell point system
My problem with the spell/sorcery point system instead of slots is that it always breaks down at 6th-9th levels without putting in some ham-fisted restrictions that basically recreate the effect of spell slots anyway.

I've also dicked around with a reworked Sorc homebrew (seriously there are like 6 of us in /5eg/) and I can never find something that feels quite right. I'm starting to wonder if that's why WotC didn't touch the base class too.

>magus
the plural is "magi"

I really like the idea that the power from Tharizdun is being siphoned rather than bestowed.

What would some Tharizdun juice do to someone who takes it?

Makes them like a super-wraith?

The Noble Houses that follow him deal in shadows, making the dark material that drow weapons and armor are made from, and using shadows and phantasmal killers?

Maybe they can access spheres of annihilation?

Yeah I've got no shortage of characters to pick from if it gets shot down.

I plan to have two characters of each class, one "Vanilla" that uses only PHB/officially published stuff and requires no extra DM effort and one SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE character who's using UAs and/or requires DM fiat to work. (This one being the speshul Fighter)

ya, after looking into clerics more, he should be able to hold the line, assuming he doesn't get fucked by the rolls, and the party helps him
actually thanks for the note, I can remove some of the str/dex checks and put in more wis/int checks, such as traps for perception, but what could I pump up to counter the int? maybe some hist/arcana checks to find ways to get around the str/dex situations?

Magusi? Sounds weird but if you say so

The thing you may need to remind the cleric is that he doean't have to be healing all the time like an MMO, but he does need to get people back up when they hit 0HP.

You could also just let them know what everybody else is picking, and ask if they WANT an all-full-caster game. Some people prefer to play a spellcaster only if the party doesn't already have one.

Not entirely sure but it does sound like what Necro games does, like with the 5th edition foes
Heres the spell list for sorcerer gained from the book.
Sorcerer
Cantrips (Level 0):Alter Normal Fires, Burden

Level 1:Acid Wind, Bubble Net, Caustic Spittle, Debilitate, Dragon’s Gauntlet, Earthen Blast, Fire Burst, Flaming Bolts, Flash of Light, Frostfire, Gossamer Webbing, Ice Bolts, Push, With the Wind
Level 2:Bead of Blazing, Bead of Frost, Dragon Scales, Ethereal Strike, Flame of Chaos, Flameswell, Force Wave, Frost Snap, Ignite, Molten Strike, Net, Silver Spear, Smothering Cloud, Spirit Blast
Level 3
Air Breathing
Arcane Spear
Barbaric Yawp
Battle Double
Breath of the Dragon
Chaos Bolt
Electromagnetic Storm
Far Strike
Frost Shards
Hard Water Blast
Heat Flesh
Ooze Bolt
Sand Blast
Shadow Bolt
Steam Bolt
Level 4
Abiding Webs
Air Sphere
Bead of Blasting
Bubble Goop
Desail
Earthburst
Enduring Missiles
Fiery Blast
Flame Spiral
Flames of Purification
Rainbow Spear
Scalding Sea
Slimeball
Solar Spear
Steam Cloud
Level 5
Arcane Shield
Devouring Darkness
Earthen Snare
Ethereal Blast
Euphoric Ecstasy
Rainbow Staff
Shattering Cry
Violent Scream
Wail of Fate
Weaken Fiendish Will
Level 6
Acid Blast
Chilling Gaze
Cold Fog
Curse of Infirmity
Death’s Imposition
Fangstorm
Fiery Constrictor
Life Shot
Lightning Storm
Lightning Wheel
Words of Thunder
Level 7
Acid Storm
Crawling Chaos
Deep Freeze
Ebon Lightning
Electrical Storm
Forceful Crush
Liquid Fire
Magma Eruption
Scorching Air
Searing Flash
Book of Lost Spells
Level 8
Ebonflame
Ice Geyser
Level 9
Arcane Censure
Conflagration
Scintillating Doom
Storm of Vitriol
Tendrils of Night

So playing with a twohanded weapon as a fighter, is plate the only way to get decent AC?

idk I want it to be as like "genuine" as possible, i.e. I want everyone to find out each others race/class when they meet,
the cleric has been DM for a couple campaigns and players so I believe he'll be able to figure out how to play so i'm not too worried about that
well I texted them each asking for their class, making sure they don't know each others class so it's pretty obvious they all wanted to do spell casters, and that's what they get

Sorcerer
Cantrips (Level 0) Alter Normal Fires, Burden
Level 1 Acid Wind, Bubble Net, Caustic Spittle, Debilitate, Dragon’s Gauntlet, Earthen Blast, Fire Burst, Flaming Bolts, Flash of Light, Frostfire, Gossamer Webbing, Ice, Bolts, Push, With the Wind
Level 2
Bead of Blazing, Bead of Frost, Dragon Scales, Ethereal Strike, Flame of Chaos, Flameswell, Force Wave, Frost Snap, Ignite, Molten Strike, Net, Silver Spear, Smothering Cloud, Spirit Blast
Level 3
Air Breathing, Arcane Spear, Barbaric Yawp, Battle Double, Breath of the Dragon, Chaos Bolt, Electromagnetic Storm, Far Strike, Frost Shards, Hard Water Blast, Heat Flesh, Ooze Bolt, Sand Blast, Shadow Bolt, Steam Bolt,
Level 4
Abiding Webs, Air Sphere, Bead of Blasting, Bubble Goop, Desail, Earthburst, Enduring Missiles, Fiery Blast, Flame Spiral, Flames of Purification, Rainbow Spear, Scalding Sea, Slimeball, Solar Spear, Steam Cloud,
Level 5
Arcane Shield, Devouring Darkness, Earthen Snare, Ethereal Blast, Euphoric Ecstasy, Rainbow Staff, Shattering Cry, Violent Scream, Wail of Fate, Weaken Fiendish Will
Level 6
Acid Blast, Chilling Gaze, Cold Fog, Curse of Infirmity, Death’s Imposition, Fangstorm, Fiery Constrictor, Life Shot, Lightning Storm, Lightning Wheel, Words of Thunder
Level 7
Acid Storm, Crawling Chaos, Deep Freeze, Ebon Lightning, Electrical Storm, Forceful Crush, Liquid Fire, Magma Eruption, Scorching Air, Searing Flash
Level 8 Ebonflame, Ice Geyser
Level 9 Arcane Censure, Conflagration, Scintillating Doom, Storm of Vitriol, Tendrils of Night
Better Formatting for easier reading.

For what purpose? You get like 1 extra AC from the ability and then make it so you scale off CON instead of DEX, which means you make your sneak worse? There are better ways to get shields, armor and weapons, whether it be from cleric paladin or even just from the other bard subtype. I seriously wouldn't bother.

How speshul snowflake would it be to play a really tall Dwarf? Like 5'11, and they get confused for a really stocky human occasionally.

It'd be mainly just for fitting in with humans (they moved out of Dwarven society because there was rumors he was half-human and he got sick of dealing with it) and probably wouldn't make much difference mechanically.

Is there even a such thing as a half-dwarf?

what are your guy's thoughts about being Oath breaker Paladin/ arch-fey warlock?
spoiler alert I'm currently paladin 5, planning on going pally 5-lock2

I'm still not won over. Also I tried to pull a lot of spells that weren't on the sorcerer's spell list for added variety. Since the sorcerer's list is smaller than the wizard's and I wanted to give them some spells the wizard didn't get.

Is it just me or does the stone sorcerer UA favor str over dex?

What you're describing is sometimes called a mul, and IDOTS. Some D&D settings have them, most do not.

My personal headcanon is that while cross-species breeding could be achieved with some sort of fantasy in-vitro fertilization, dwarf juices are toxic to most humanoids. Dwarf semen would really mess up a human woman's insides and if a human sticks his penis in a dwarf, he'll pull it out covered in acid burns.

Well, I don't know how to argue the point with you if to at all. I'm just providing additonal options you may want to consider. I don't know how you view sorcerer or your design philosophy behind the extended spell lists so I can't really make specific suggestions.

It's probably powergaming, but if you at least make it interesting roleplay powergaming, I'd allow it at my table.

I wonder, how many of you use third party materials in your campaigns?

How to make Constitution great again: if a character is dropped to 0 hit points, they remain unconscious for (Con mod) rounds and then die unless stabilized. Minimum of 1 round.

>most settings dont have them
Well this guy isnt one either, just really tall (for a Dwarf), but I don't see why that would stop rumors about it.

>Acid burns
Nigga you what

Sure it probably wouldn't be compatible for similar reasons (Even a bit of PH difference can fuck with sperm) but it shouldn't burn your dick off. That's just dumb.

Constitution is already fine as an ability score, user. HP, saves against many spells and effects, and concentration saves make it a good tertiary for every character.

>make the one stat that is already the only stat that is never a dump stat even more important

no

we've been doing strahd (planned my character out before meeting a second time, first meeting was under the guise of a one shot), my character is a sailor, trying to get everyone who seems responsive to join my crew on Thor's Hammer
but in almost every fight I've been either knocked unconscious, or down to 5 hp either the DM hates me or he just rolls very well against me so the powergaming hasn't been much of a problem in the group, also the DM hasn't allowed me to multi-class yet, trying to do that before the OB aura of hate...(chr mod in this case +2 to all undead (all of strahd's army) to melee weapon damage)

I like Gishes. Mixing melee and magic to be cool without crazy bullshit is my jam. To that end, I need a little help.

I've never played 5th ed until recently, and I know jack and shit about multiclassing. If I'm Bard 3, should I wait for ASI to go Rogue or can I jump in next level? I want swashbuckler 3 so bad.

I'd say wait til ASI for most multiclassing. But in your specific case, I'd say stick around as a Valor Bard. Shit's cash money.

I want to play a Pirate.
But most games are nowhere near the ocean.
So the next logical step is airship.
But most DMs won't let you captain an Airship.
So that means I need to make a ground ship.

How to make a ground ship? I'll be the scourge of the seven lands!

Something like a smaller version of that sand ship from Lost Planet 2 comes to mind.

Too late, already went Lore. Halfling made it hard to go Valor, thinking of it for a Link build. Rogue lets me make the most of a single attack and the Initiative boost is bonkers. I'm looking for a suave treasure hunter kind of vibe. With Fireball, and Crusader's Mantle, and Blackjack and hookers.

How would you handle this situation.

I'm a new player, and currently playing my first ever session with a group.

I casted Faerie Fire as a monk/cleric that was super useful for the team as we only have 2 other martials and a paladin and zero support.
While the DM was flipping through the DMG to double check something, later after the fight, I was reading more about the spell to understand it, (casting time, materials) and noticed it was a concentration spell. Then started reading about concentration spells at the table and how they end once you take damage.
Well, I took damage during the fight, so my spell should have ended, but it didn't. I had no idea, and neither did the DM nor anyone else at the table.

So my question is, in future battles, should I bring this up, even if it gimps the spell, or move forward with the established way we've done things?

i've always been a big fan of sand skiffs, the hovercraft things in deserts

theres some real good ones in starwars, borderlands 2, and avatar the last air bender. Treasure planet has something similar too i think, but i havn't seen that movie in ages. Might have just been a hoverboard.

You don't just lose the spell. Concentration requires a check when you take a hit.

Just talk to the DM about it.

Ranger and paladin cause magic and combat ability. Monk cause I'm a martial artist and Mystic cause I like Psionics. Also I really hope take 3 comes out after the wizard UA...

From what I understand the concentration ends once you take damage or fall unconscious or cast a different spell that take concentration.

From the book:

>Concentration
>Some spells require you to maintain concentration in order to keep their magic active. If you lose concentration, such a spell ends.
>If a spell must be maintained with concentration, that fact appears in its Duration entry, and the spell specifies how long you can concentrate on it. You can end concentration at any time (no action required).
>Normal activity, such as moving and attacking, doesn’t interfere with concentration. The following factors can break concentration:
>Casting another spell that requires concentration. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once.
>Taking damage. Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration. The DC equals 10 or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher. If you take damage from multiple sources, such as an arrow and a dragon’s breath, you make a separate saving throw for each source of damage.
>Being incapacitated or killed. You lose concentration on a spell if you are incapacitated or if you die.
>The GM might also decide that certain environmental phenomena, such as a wave crashing over you while you’re on a storm-tossed ship, require you to succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration on a spell.

Would anyone know of a good site resources for roll20?

Something small like that would work, but is hardly worthy of a dreaded pirate captain.

I suppose no matter what I do I'll have to run it by the DM first since the party having any kind of vehicle can mess with their plans.

Yes, and that's intentional. Stand your ground and face things head-on, twinkle toes!

Is there a potion that gives you Blur?

I need stats for Goku's Power Pole.

It's for science.

>quarterstaff

Done.

>quarterstaff of power
ftfy

Yep, you're trading defensive power for damage. If you want the 21 AC then go sword and board with Protection FS.

> the use of magic is outlaw
> most player still play spell caster
Should I play Sorcerer with subtle spell?

Alright, but how do I get it to extend?

inb4 "work the shaft"

Since Goku is basically Monkey, let's see.

>Staff of Compensation
>Legendary weapon
>1d8 bludgeoning damage (versatile, 1d10)
>As a bonus action, you can use a command word to get the pole to either:
>>Grow up to 100 feet long at rapid speed, causing 1d8 bludgeoning damage per 10 feet to anything in the way. Yes, you can use this to attack people up to a hundred feet away.
>>Shrink to Tiny size
>>Become as wide as a tree trunk (3 ft.), adding 3d8 to its damage totals

That's about all I got for you, stranger.

> idk I want it to be as like "genuine" as possible, i.e. I want everyone to find out

Bad idea which probably will lead to unfun campaign.

TRPG is a cooperative storytelling activity. Do you really think a good story author doesn't think about main actors interaction and party dynamic before writing the plot?

Reposting from last thread, looking for ideas/feedback on it.

I've got a player who wants to make a Gnome Barbarian. I'm almost certain it's for roleplay and character concept reasons, but RAW they won't be able to use Heavy weapons without suffering a disadvantage on all their attacks (being a Small creature).

Would you guys allow a slight bending of that rule though, to amend it to where if the player is raging they can use Heavy weapons just fine, because they don't care about where they're hitting someone, just that they have to hit them and the barbarian rage is giving them that supernatural strength/speed needed to properly use a Heavy weapon?

Honestly that's a load better than anything I had. Should there be a limit to the number of times a player can use those abilities?

The reason the Heavy rule exists is because those weapons are literally bigger than the Small races.

Itd be like a Human wielding a 12 foot tall axe.

That said if you don't mind that go for it.

I tried to post this in the last thread, but I don't think it worked. So anyway, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of cleric spells I have to sift through when preparing spells. How do I deal with this?

I mean, you can only prepare so many anyway, so just pick the top 5 or so main ones you will always use, and then fill out the rest based on daily needs.

tl;dr LEARN TO READ A BOOK

My friend said they are going to update/change/balance spells soon. Is he right? I hadn't heard of anything like that

spellcards

After being forced into playing a Warlock I've given all my options a look and the Undying Light looks good.

I have to ask though, how do I get the most use of the +Cha to radiant and fire damage? I thought Warlocks just Hex and turret fire Eldritch Blasts, which means I don't really have the slots for much.

My other thought was a Fiendlock because my DM lets Warlocks use the Demon Summons from that UA. Which seems kinda cool.

Substitute Flamebolt for EB. You lose out on other invocations that modify EB, but that might free up one or two to do other things.

With EB I get +Cha per bolt though right? That's a pretty big drop in damage for an extra invocation.

How have you changed monsters for your campaigns? I'm looking for ideas to spice up my world and encounters.

Only just read the updated errata on crossbow expert/reloading/ammunition. Does this mean the feat only really works if you're wielding a single hand crossbow?

You need an invocation to add +Cha to EB. Your archetype, as you said, adds +Cha to fire and radiant. Flamebolt exists. And it scales exactly the same in terms of damage and bolt number.

Firebolt says nothing about splitting into multiple bolts though. It just increases 1d10 which means at the end it's only 4d10+5 compared to EB's 4d10+20.

By RAW it's per bolt. But it used the exact same words as pre-errata draconic sorcerer, so it might not be RAI.

No. Firebolt only shoot 1 bolt even at higher level.

Level 5 firebolt is 1 attack roll that do 2d10 damage as oppose to level 5 EB that is 2 attack rolls that do 1d10 each.

Firebolt doesn't scale the same, it's a single bolt that deals 1d10 (+1d10 at 5, 11, and 17th levels).

Eldritch Blast explicitly creates extra bolts at 5, 11, and 17th levels.

>firebolt doesn't split
Well fuck. I'm too drunk for thsi shit right now.

Okay, let's go.

>Staff of Compensation
>Requires attunement
>1d8 bludgeoning damage, finesse, versatile (1d10)
>This item has 6 charges. Expend 1 charge to use any of these abilities as a bonus action:
>>Staff grows up to 100 feet long. Things in the way of its expansion take 1d8 damage per 10 feet it travels. Still functions as a normal weapon.
>>Staff shrinks to Tiny size, giving it advantage against detection
>>Staff grows wider, up to 3 feet. Add 1d8 per additional foot of girth.
>>Staff narrows down to normal size.
>The staff regains 1d6 charges at dawn. If he staff runs out of charges, roll 1d20. If 11 or above, nothing happens. On 10 or below, the staff disappears.

What think?

So if you're 10 feet away, you get hit for 2d8 (or 1d8 + 1d10 if two-handed) damage?

Also, would the damage die increase to 1d10 for any of those features if you were wielding it two-handed?

I would say so, yeah. Had to make a change as I realized that the damage would get a bit crazy, but then again it is a legendary weapon meant for a god so, crazy is a good thing.

The thing is, I should have said that
>When expanding the pole, you can make a ranged attack against anything in a straight line. The damage is 1d8 (or 1d10 if using 2-handed) + 1d8/10 per 10 feet.

So if you're making your pole grow to 50 feet, say, then anything in that range and in the way of the pole takes 1d8/10 + 5d8/10 + whatever ability score you're using magical bludgeoning damage.

If you really want to make it nightmarish, make it a +2 weapon on top of these stats. Hell, make it an artifact, the legendary weapon of a god.

Only?

Were you expecting to dual wield weapons that require additional hands to reload?

The description seemed to imply that you'd be attacking with a one handed melee weapon in close range and firing the hand crossbow from the off hand. That's why you no longer suffer a penalty for being within 5 feet of an enemy and why it doesn't require you to make a ranged attack to take the bonus shot.

Under the current errata, the hand crossbow functions as a two handed weapon. You can't couple it with anything in either your primary or offhand because then you wouldn't be able to reload it.

Before it was worth taking the feat because it brought hand crossbows up to par with other weapons. The effect doesn't seem to justify the cost anymore. Am I mistaken?

>be dragonborn fighter
>spooky door opens
>zombie rushes out
>run up to open door
>a dozen more zombies on the other side
>hit about 8 of them with breath weapon
>close door
>party is now alone in a room with one zombie completely surrounded
>warlock uses eldritch blast
>fumbles
>shoots me in the back

what are some good IC ways of getting revenge on party members? Aside from just killing them?

You can shoot it using one hand though. So dual-wielding pre-load hand crossbows work

> Before it was worth taking the feat because it brought hand crossbows up to par with other weapons. The effect doesn't seem to justify the cost anymore. Am I mistaken?

what? mechanically, it still make hand crossbow the best range weapon.

And then it's not loaded anymore and you can't.

If the damage was significantly higher, than a single shot sidearm might be worthwhile. An additional 1D6 per combat isn't.

Not when any other archer is going to be taking the sharpshooter feat.

what's supposed to happen to a throwing weapon after it's thrown in combat?

When it grows bigger/longer, does it become heavier/harder to handle? Does making it grow to the thickness of a tree trunk make it more difficult to hold?

> not taking sharpshooter and crossbow master

Assuming variant human
At level 4
Longbow (18 DEX) : 1d8+4+10 (average 18.5)
Crossbow (16 DEX): 2d6+6+20 (average 33.5)

At Level 8:
Longbow: (20 DEX) 2d8+10+20 (average 39)
Hand crossbow (18 DEX) 3d6+12+30 (average 52.5)

Yeah. You get big benefits, but it becomes a Heavy weapon if you do so, and if you don't use 2 hands you take disadvantage on attack rolls.