Give me one valid reason why Charisma is a stat in a roleplaying game where the players are meant to roleplay as their...

Give me one valid reason why Charisma is a stat in a roleplaying game where the players are meant to roleplay as their characters.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChewbaccaDefense
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't mind me, I'm just here to watch.

It determines the way NPCs react to your character, how many followers they can have, and is a general measure of their personal magnetism which can guide roleplay.

Remember, good roleplay reflects the abilities of the character, it shouldn't supersede them. A good roleplayer can portray a really unlikable, low charisma character as well as they can the opposite.

Bard spells.

You're right, it shouldn't.

Replace all references of your game to Charisma with 'Craft', which reresents artistic and magical works. Helps explain clerics, bards, invocation and more.

So you can have social skills that don't depend on how wise or intelligent you are. Other systems have better names for it, but it gets the point across.

>Give me on valid reason why stats are in a roleplaying game where the players are meant to roleplay as their characters.

so people who aren't charismatic can pretend that they are.

Because I'm not going to pause the game for an hour every time my character needs to disguise himself as somebody else convincingly.

This.

I got limp noodle arms but I still want to be an axe swinging berserker on the weekends. If some stuttering guy wants to play a charismatic poet, then why the fuck not.

OP here, what wold you do if a player says "I explain to the king why he shouldn't hang me even though I tried to assassinate him" *rolls a 20 for persuasion* "he lets me go now"?

(The player is too uncharismatic irl to reason his way out of the situation, but his character probably could.)

make him fail
you should be rewarding effort rather than actual ability

The king has his drawn and quartered instead.

But the player isn't smart enough to think of an excuse. His character has 18 int and cha though, he'd surely be able to think of something.

Lift the dead sentence, but throw their ass in jail. Regicide-attempts are still high treason, you won't be pardoned willy-nilly.

If neither he nor I can think of how it would actually go down, then he fails. I'm willing to help my players as much as I can, but I'm not giving them a free pass.

It depends on the King. In Most cases you wont have a chance to persuade him.

He rolled a 20 and has super high charisma though, so the character must have wove an amazing tale of beauty and shit about why he should be spared.

Then why roll or have Charisma as a stat for the character?

Charisma, and the related social skills, determine how much info I feed my players about the situation and how much I'll help them through it. It's not a magic problem solving skill.

Rolling 20 doesn't make the impossible possible, that's my most hated thing in modern games.

Hey DM, I jump off the tower and fly to the next town!
>natural 20
Duuuuude! lolololol you're totally flying!

>He rolled a 20 and has super high charisma though, so the character must have wove an amazing tale of beauty and shit about why he should be spared.
Too bad the DC for being let off scot-free was 75.

Okay, so let's change the hypothetical to something requiring a DC 25 and he rolled a 20 with a +5 mod, but the player still just said "my character says something charismatic". He couldn't come up with shit because he's a basement dwelling turbo autist that stutters and can't talk to girls, but his character is Girl Fucker the Bardman.

The king imprisons him. All he asked for is to not be hanged.

See, its like phrasing a wish; a lost art among today's players.

He succeeds, because I set the DC based on the approach the character is using.

Here's how I handle social checks:
>player explains approach
>I set difficulty
>player rolls
>I tell them how much they succeeded/failed by
>they roleplay that result

It may not be exactly RAW, but it works pretty well.

I'd still expect something more than just a single declaration of intent. I don't require much but at least give me something to go on, seeing as I'd be pretty much roleplaying it for you if you're incapable.

You don't let your players roll for impossible things.
This particular case being impossible doesn't mean it's a useless stat.
Stats shouldn't matter as much as D&D 3.5 onward tend to make them matter.

>Hey DM, I jump off the tower and fly to the next town!
>natural 20
Great! Your character manages to hit some tree branches on the way down, so you'll only take half damage.

The king has the assasin thrown into the dungeon, because that´s what you do with attempted king-killers and convenves with his coucil. There he relizes tha an adventurd skilled enough to attemp tot assasinate the king cabe euseful, and if here is desperate enough to try , he can bne expoited. He has the court wizerd place geass on the would ve assasin whic forces him to obey him and the royal spy master and prevents him from harming a king´s man. So the character no has to act as the king´s wetworks man and a very deniable fall guy, though the geas gives him some leeway to act freely. What does the character think of it? What will he be forced to do? How will the othe players deal with that? When will the geass be lifted, or can it be romed secretly? Where are the boundries of the freedom granted by the geass and what happens if he pushes them? What is the spymaster´s ulterior motive(because of course he has on)?
You have options to work with, here.

>Give me one valid reason why Charisma is a stat in a roleplaying game where the players are meant to roleplay as their characters.
Because none of you fags understand the prupose of it. When it was introduced in D&D it determined how good a commander of forces you were -- how many hirelings could you have, how loyal were they, and so on. It had nothing to do with some faggy bluffing shit, it was a literal measure of your charisma as a military leader. All the other stuff was bolted on later by mongs.

Intelligence is a stat so that retards like you can play a more able character. Its the same logic.

>Too bad the DC for being let off scot-free was 75
this

20 always succeeds.

>In addition the charisma score is usable to decide such things as whether or not a witch capturing a player will turn him into a swine or keep him enchanted as a lover.

Not on skill checks it doesn't you homebrewing faggot.

well bear in mind automatic success on skill checks on a 20 is retarded but at long as his request is not to outlandish sure there is nothing wrong with rewarding his high charisma and good roles maybe reduce the punishment

>He rolled a 20 and has super high charisma though, so the character must have wove an amazing tale of beauty and shit about why he should be spared.
then he can be spared

I would push the date back of his execution while the guards investigate the event again and speak to the witnesses. They'll still come to the same conclusion of course

Gygax was a mong and he bolted that on after designing the real purpose.

20 always succeed in attack and saving throw rolls.
Skill checks don't apply.

Players aren't their Characters. You don't need to be able to do what your character can do, and your character can't automatically do what you can do. Why is this so hard to understand? Do mostly retarded troglodytes play these games?

Pick your favorite from here, duh.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChewbaccaDefense

Hey, it worked when Thomas Blood tried to steal the English crown jewels.
He not only got given a pardon, he was given an estate in Ireland as well.

>OP here, what wold you do if a player says "I explain to the king why he shouldn't hang me even though I tried to assassinate him" *rolls a 20 for persuasion* "he lets me go now"?

It's quite simple, my dear faggot. If a PC just tried to assassinate the king, then his reaction, no matter the roll, will be somewhere between "order him killed on the spot", "order him thrown in prison", and "flee the throne room before this psychotic murderhobo hacks his way through my guards". At no point will a Hostile reaction lead to "lets the murderhobo do what he wants".

You're probably used to playing a shitty edition so I can't fault you for not understanding basic human decision-making processes.

Because charisma doesn't equal good arguments.