Is this worth reading to get some ideas for my games?

Is this worth reading to get some ideas for my games?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Kullervo
youtube.com/watch?v=CxN2la8LcRM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anything is worth reading for that. But yes.

It's worth reading even if you've never played games at all.
But keep two things in mind:
1) It's fairly long, though the language is beautiful;
2) If you're looking for action and epic battles, forget it. It mostly describes fairly mundane village affairs like looking for a wife or building a cart, though the characters involved are gods and heroes.

Also it's got the most epic Bard in the history of literature.

Is the translation any good compared to the original?

no

That's an amazing question because 99% of people won't be able to answer it: they either haven't read the translation or the original.

I've got both the original and the Bosley translation. As with anything, something is always lost in translation, but it's still worth a look, especially if you're not in it for the technical aspects.

And anyways, the original text was messed with by the editor and compiler, Lönnrot, who wanted a more unified and consistent result than the original folk poets.

>the editor and compiler, Lönnrot
Lönnrot is the writer for all intents and purposes, the Kalevala never existed in any form before he wrote it using stories from folk songs as an inspiration. Comparative analysis of all of his editions by Juha Pentikäinen shows with complete clarity that the definitive edition of the Kalevala has pretty much no text at all taken verbatim from the songs; Lönnrot used their plots, but he wrote the poem himself.

Just read the Story of Scrooge McDuck The quest for kalevala and google the weird stuff that has a background.

The Sampo was quite an Aegis, am I right?

No, but it's worth reading.

That's a huge exaggeration. He modified, combined verses, altered their order etc. all over but everything is based on folk material and there are long sections used verbatim. Only about two percent is things that he made up himself.

more

Comic name is in the footnote on each strip.

Not very much else in it to do with the Kalevala, but there's plenty of other good material in it.

No, reading is never worth it.

Reading is physically incapable of enriching your life in any way at all.

Heh. Funny.

listen to an audio versiom

then claim that you "read" it

Sorry, you're wrong. Read "Kalevalan mytologia".

Was Ilmarinen actually the god of /r9k/?
Seems like his stuff revolved a lot around
>tfw no gf

A bit of a hijack, but what about this?

I try reading all the myths, sagas, folk tales, and religious and magical stuff I get my hands on. Taking ideas from fantasy feels more contrived. The Kalevala is good shit. The Eddas, Bible, and HC Andersen and Grimm brothers are good shit for idea mining.

Väinämöinen is the one who never got a gf.

It's an example of truth in fiction. Finns are notoriously bad at building relationships.

Ilmarinen went as far as trying to build his oc donut steel robowaifu though

How much did he actually steal from kalevale?

Zero. People who claim that Gandalf resembles Väinämöinen have never read LotR, the Kalevala or both.

Is there any English translation of the Mahabarata?

There's not much in the Kalevala that would be very applicable to most TTRPGs. Especially stuff like D&D.

HOWEVER, it is worth reading anyway. Because it's very good.

He may have taken some inspiration when it comes to naming schemes, but not for Gandalf, who has a name that actually appears in the Norse mythological canon.

And yeah Gandalf is absolutely nothing like Väinämöinen.

Yes, the Kisari Mohan Ganguli translation.

A fair bit. The biggest one is in Silmarillion, where the story of Túrin Turambar is almost 1:1 the saga of Kullervo.

Also, this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Kullervo
was his first published work.

Also,

>People who claim that Gandalf resembles Väinämöinen

You mean JRR himself?

Also a wizard.

Makes you think.

>published

Correction: written. It was his first attempt at prose, but it was apparently only published posthumously.

No, the translation is shit, especially the English one.
Rule of thumb for you in general about this shit
>English translations suck in 19/20 cases.
>If it's poetry - 39/40
>If it's from non-Germanic language - 49/50
>The non-Germanic poetry is a cumulative penalty

strong

cuchulainn owns

>gets so angry hs knees bend the wrong way, feet turn backward, he vomits up his liver (leaving it dangling from his mouth), and sucks one eye into his head while the other bulges out onto his cheek

>Is the translation any good compared to the original?
Which translation?

(It's been translated several dozen times.)

Are you asking whether the original epic poem is any good compared to the Industrial-era reimaging?

Because the answer is: it depends.

I thought it was a strapless bra

>You mean JRR himself?
I call bullshit.

>so angry his knees bend the wrong way
>feet turn backward
>vomits up his liver
>sucks one eye into his head while the other bulges out onto his cheek
why?

WARP SPASM

I find it extremely funny that when heroes of Kaleva sailed off to steal Sampo, they made a goddamn musical pause at the middle inviting everyone (including lapland people) to listen how old guy plays his cantele.

>I need a boat
>Actually making one from wood? Nah, that's GAY
>Better enter the belly of a legendary giant to steal a magic boat-building spell from him

If you had a kantele that you made from the jawbone of a pike that was bigger than your boat you'd want everyone see it too

I remember he was reported saying that he was disappointed in Finnish when he heard it actually spoken by native speakers.

youtube.com/watch?v=CxN2la8LcRM